Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,217 members, 7,880,799 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:04 AM

Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". (3744 Views)

Another Fallen Hero:Lt Salami,A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram 4-days Ago(Pictured / Orubebe Appears In Court Over Money Laundering Allegations / Police parades 5 In Court Over Nyanya And Kuje Bombings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by talk2hb1(m): 2:51pm On Feb 09, 2011
oooooooga ooooooooh omashe oooooo!!!!
huruhuru promotion
Na who send dem?
I know say na election time with all the tin wey him do for PDP for oshiomole and co case
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by ziccoit: 3:06pm On Feb 09, 2011
lee007:

Please Please Please if you dont know how a profession operates at least you can ask questions, people who do not understand the peculiar nature and structure of the Judiciary should just limit thier activity to reading here.

The President of the Court of Appeal Stands on the same level if not more powerful than a supreme Court Judge. In the History of the Country, how many presidents of the Court of Appel has been promoted to the Supreme Court? the next Level for him is retirement not A malicious promotion ochestrated by the Evil called PDP.

The role of this eminent Nigerian in clipping the rigging of the PDP in many states of the country has now become an obvious threat to the PDP and the only way to deal with the issue is to 'Promote" him off danger Zone.

He has taken the path of wisdom and truth, and who told you an employee cannot reject Promotion

Please Niralanders lest display less of ignorance please!

Thanks for making my day gee. Nigerians hope is in you and the likes. 99.99% of contraries are those licking GEJ ash*s and blindfolded by GEJ's excrement.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by pinkrex(m): 3:08pm On Feb 09, 2011
Dem go soon change iG of police too or all the army chiefs. Its all politicaly motivated thing.He knws y he's rejecting the promotion, abi which niaja man no like better thing. Some people are showing the level of their ignorance with th Boss tin.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Tasma: 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2011
bisiaet:

Please is this man alright at all? But was this not the same man that was promoted to the presidency of appeal court and was smiling then? So what is it in that office that he does not want to be move or promoted? When elderly man of his status talk like this I always wonder what is the matter with this people? When he became president of appeal court he never say it was politically motivated so why now? Does it mean now in Nigeria any move, anything, everything is politically motivated? this is so weird and annoying.

If his boss want him to move on and he is not happy about it the best for him is to dio is to call it quit simple as that. He was promoted and appointed to where he is now so he has no option than to accept it or quit for other who want to do the job. Does he want to be in appeal court forever?

Have you actually read the posts above? Has it ever happened that a President of the Appeal court has been "promoted" to the supreme court. All signs point to the fact that the move was for political reasons i.e. because the man actually allowed the Appeal court to work properly. For some strange reason you ignore all this signs completely and speak as if this is just a case of some unimportant civil servant. Na wa o.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by joeyfire(m): 3:19pm On Feb 09, 2011
God will bless Hon. Justice Salami, the man has been a problem to PDP gubernatorial candidates and of course they want him out. I'm sure he's  silently rejected billions of naira. Its rare in naija and is worthy of commendation, I'm sure he wont be getting any GCFR from this regime  but the CJN will. Only for naija
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:28pm On Feb 09, 2011
hmmn.

please how is a promotion evidence of a witch hunt?

since when did it become customary and as of right to reject a promotion in a government appointment?

why is there the need to sit tight at the court of appeal?

having severally announced as some here have done that the judge in question is qualified to be a supreme court judge, and that he is presently the most senior of all court of appeal judges, why is his appointment out of place?

you people seem to forget in the midst of the rush of blood to the head wanting to castigate and accuse the presidency of all manners of what nots, that this could actually be the reverse.

appeals from guber and assembly polls terminate at the court of appeal, thats a lot of influence to have and that is why the man is bent on sitting tight

is he also saying that the other judges of the court of appeal who may take over are incompetent or compromised? those are weighty allegations.

what he has just achieved is bastardisation of the integrity and name of the court of appeal.

Note that this is the same man parties in appeals at the guber stage in the last polls are accusing of heavy issues. i read some of them in the guardian this week and am afraid, sour grapes or not they did have a point.

there has been an uproar even amongst the bar about inconsistencies in the decisions of the election tribunals.

stop to consider this issues from both sides and quit giving in to the knee jerk reaction of criticizing the govt simply because anyone says something negative.

the man ought to face disciplinary panel for bringing the bench into disrepute. this offends all known decorum and only serves as ammunition for people to stand up tomorrow and question the integrity of the courts without basis.

you forget that a lawyer even when he is totally wrong, will argue strenuously and bend facts to suit his purpose
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Nicklee(m): 3:59pm On Feb 09, 2011
Now I know Nigeria is a fool's paradise. He who wears the shoes knows exactly where it is pinching and a bunch of us are here telling Hon. Salami where it might be pinching him. For God's sake, why is everyone reading this thing out of context? Katsina-Alu had asked him to compromise a judgement in the past which he refused. That is very dangerous and no body on this forum is talking about it - instead we have allowed our blind and notoriously foolish political affiliations to distort our minds and make us focus on the most irrelevant part of this issue.

Salami thinks he is being pushed out to pave way for electoral fraud. This is big and I think every Nigeria should be calling for an in-depth probe (like Prof. Sagay and Co, suggested). Atleast, that is the part of this issue that affects us and can send us further back in time. But alas, we are busy debating if he has the right to reject a promotion? I think Hon. Salami is an honorable man and would rather resign than bend to this morally debasing move.

Nigerians, let's wear our thinking cap always. We can use this forum (like Egypt and Tunisia did) to create a big movement and make a big change in nigeria. The way we quickly loose sight of the heart of an issue baffles me!!! Focus people, read beyond your sentiments!!! Haba,
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Tasma: 4:05pm On Feb 09, 2011
4llerbuntu:

hmmn.

please how is a promotion evidence of a witch hunt?

since when did it become customary and as of right to reject a promotion in a government appointment?

why is there the need to sit tight at the court of appeal?

having severally announced as some here have done that the judge in question is qualified to be a supreme court judge, and that he is presently the most senior of all court of appeal judges, why is his appointment out of place?

you people seem to forget in the midst of the rush of blood to the head wanting to castigate and accuse the presidency of all manners of what nots, that this could actually be the reverse.

appeals from guber and assembly polls terminate at the court of appeal, thats a lot of influence to have and that is why the man is bent on sitting tight

is he also saying that the other judges of the court of appeal who may take over are incompetent or compromised? those are weighty allegations.

what he has just achieved is bastardisation of the integrity and name of the court of appeal.

Note that this is the same man parties in appeals at the guber stage in the last polls are accusing of heavy issues. i read some of them in the guardian this week and am afraid, sour grapes or not they did have a point.

there has been an uproar even amongst the bar about inconsistencies in the decisions of the election tribunals.

stop to consider this issues from both sides and quit giving in to the knee jerk reaction of criticizing the govt simply because anyone says something negative.

the man ought to face disciplinary panel for bringing the bench into disrepute. this offends all known decorum and only serves as ammunition for people to stand up tomorrow and question the integrity of the courts without basis.

you forget that a lawyer even when he is totally wrong, will argue strenuously and bend facts to suit his purpose

Not too sure what the central point of this post is. First question is this, have we ever had any President of the Court of Appeal that has been "promoted" to the supreme court? Why is he being intentionally moved from this position.

Secondly you seem to be suggesting that the man may be abusing his position as in
"what he has just achieved is bastardisation of the integrity and name of the court of appeal.
there has been an uproar even amongst the bar about inconsistencies in the decisions of the election tribunals."

Now we need to be clear what we are talking about, if the man has in any abused his position the government has the right to take action on this. I'm sure the government knows the steps to take if the President of the Court of Appeal is abusing his position. The way to go about it is definitely not by "promoting" him out of his position.

Lastly this comment "the man ought to face disciplinary panel for bringing the bench into disrepute. this offends all known decorum and only serves as ammunition for people to stand up tomorrow and question the integrity of the courts without basis.". I believe the man has every right to question what is being done to him. If you are in a position you would expect to retire in (as has been the case for all others) and are suddenly being booted out you have every reason to be offended.

If we intend to be honest the government should come out and tell us if the man has "erred" in any way. If he has the government should go through the proper channels to deal with the situation.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Nicklee(m): 4:13pm On Feb 09, 2011
http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-njc-quashes-justice-salamis-proposed-promotion-supreme-court

The NJC has finally quashed the 'promotion'. Now maybe we can start another round of arguments questioning why they did that. Focus people, focus.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by econsult(m): 4:16pm On Feb 09, 2011
I believe it is incumbent on Justice Salami to decide whether or not he wants to go to the Supreme court.I strongly believe that there is a political undertone in this case more so the fact that 2011 elections are approaching.The landmark cases of the Gubernatorial election of Fayemi and Aregbesola  are a case in point.My submission is that we let Salami be.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Jaytee67(m): 4:16pm On Feb 09, 2011
Breaking News: NJC Quashes Justice Salami's Proposed "Promotion" | Sahara Reporters
www.saharareporters.com
The 24-member National Judicial council (NJC) of Nigeria has just risen from its emergency meeting today with a decision siding with the President of The court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami, over the controversy surrounding the proposed "promotion" to the Supreme Court
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Gbawe: 4:20pm On Feb 09, 2011
Nicklee:

Now I know Nigeria is a fool's paradise. He who wears the shoes knows exactly where it is pinching and a bunch of us are here telling Hon. Salami where it might be pinching him. For God's sake, why is everyone reading this thing out of context? Katsina-Alu had asked him to compromise a judgement in the past which he refused. That is very dangerous and no body on this forum is talking about it - instead we have allowed our blind and notoriously foolish political affiliations to distort our minds and make us focus on the most irrelevant part of this issue.

Salami thinks he is being pushed out to pave way for electoral fraud. This is big and I think every Nigeria should be calling for an in-depth probe (like Prof. Sagay and Co, suggested). Atleast, that is the part of this issue that affects us and can send us further back in time. But alas, we are busy debating if he has the right to reject a promotion? I think Hon. Salami is an honorable man and would rather resign than bend to this morally debasing move.
Nigerians, let's wear our thinking cap always. We can use this forum (like Egypt and Tunisia did) to create a big movement and make a big change in nigeria. The way we quickly loose sight of the heart of an issue baffles me!!! Focus people, read beyond your sentiments!!! Haba,

My brother , don't mind some Nigerians. They think they know more than folks like Femi falana who has actually gone to Court over this issue. this is the problem with our nation. We still have too many mischief makers and enemies of progress willing to support what is wrong for one reason or another. As you pointed out , this is not really about Salami refusing a promotion. This is why Femi Falana is now fighting on his behalf while many prominent legal experts have spoken in salami's defense. Even the NBA has officially adviced Katsina-Alu to defer to the current status quo !!! So what on earth are folks doing here villifying Salami for insubordination?  Dem know pass NBA, Falana et al?
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by HamidO1(m): 5:10pm On Feb 09, 2011
PDP has never and will never mean well for this country. They want to promote the man and probably bring another andoka on board.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by maasoap(m): 5:44pm On Feb 09, 2011
I knew he would go because he has become a politician rather than impartial judge. And he has gone for good, he either accepts promotion or resigns. When a justice DISENFRANCHISED one-third of the voters in guber election, something is fishy definitely. He has lost confidence in majority of the Appeal court justices and he believes that only few are loyal to HIM and based on that, he uses these few justices to determine cases. Any appeal court justice that held different view on Election Tribunal cases would never be selected to determine cases but as long as you and me belong to opposition parties, he would remain the best justice even if he is partial. Ayo Salami, your employer has ordered you to move to the higher court, just move coz we're tired of using caucus in determining cases in the court of appeal.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Nicklee(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09, 2011
maasoap:

I knew he would go because he has become a politician rather than impartial judge. And he has gone for good, he either accepts promotion or resigns. When a justice DISENFRANCHISED one-third of the voters in guber election, something is fishy definitely. He has lost confidence in majority of the Appeal court justices and he believes that only few are loyal to HIM and based on that, he uses these few justices to determine cases. Any appeal court justice that held different view on Election Tribunal cases would never be selected to determine cases but as long as you and me belong to opposition parties, he would remain the best justice even if he is partial. Ayo Salami, your employer has ordered you to move to the higher court, just move coz we're tired of using caucus in determining cases in the court of appeal.

Location - Osogbo, Nigeria. Says it all. You need to remove sentiments from this. So far, only Salami has come out to accuse Alu of trying to influence a judgement. That is the issue here. Everything you have written here speaks of the same nonsensical attitude that is keeping us back - dem say dem say!!!. If any judge is being asked to compromise, let him come out and say it out himself. We need to stop making things up.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by juman(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2011
Breaking News: NJC Quashes Justice Salami's Proposed "Promotion" To The Supreme Court

The 24-member National Judicial council (NJC) of Nigeria has just risen from its emergency meeting today with a decision siding with the President of The court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami, over the controversy surrounding the prooposed "promotion" to the Supreme Court as plotted by the Chief Justice Of Nigeria and elements in Goodluck Jonathan's government.

The body which has as members, NBA president JB Daudu, former NBA president, Rotimi Akeredolu, Olisa Agbakoba, retired Supreme Court justice, Pius Aderemi (JSC), Justice Emmanuel Ayoola, Chief Judge of Fed. High court, Dan Abutu, President of the Court of Appeal Ayo Salami, Justice Dahiru Mustpaha, Retired Justice Akpiroroh, former PCAJ, Justice Umaru Abdullahi, Grand Khadi Abubakar Shettima, Justice Kate Adiri, Justice Innocent Uwazurike (Chief judge Enugu state) and former NBA Chief OCJ Okocha, SAN. decided that it was improper o force anyone into any type of promotion if they do not desire it.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-njc-quashes-justice-salamis-proposed-promotion-supreme-court

Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by anataala: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2011
it is because he has not cancell sokoto election, because GEJ want him out cos the governour is not supporting him to contest for election, but bhe refuse the request CJN, and he knew that he is not suppose to be promoted to supreme court he still have 2 more years b4 he can be move to supreme court
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by tlops(m): 9:55pm On Feb 09, 2011
dem go soon fire am, shocked
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by Remii(m): 10:35am On Feb 10, 2011
anataala:

it is because he has not cancell sokoto election, because GEJ want him out cos the governour is not supporting him to contest for election, but bhe refuse the request CJN, and he knew that he is not suppose to be promoted to supreme court he still have 2 more years b4 he can be move to supreme court

Appeal court presidents don't get promoted to Supreme court, they retire there. CofA is No 2 in ranking to SC, moving him to SC would be a form of demotion to him.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by favouredjb(f): 11:21am On Feb 10, 2011
He should just resign

any one here who thinks the saintly,ACN or any other party in naija,does not bribe the judiciary or are not corrupt too,should wake up from their slumber
that is sadly the truth
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by SegzyJoe(m): 11:43am On Feb 10, 2011
Interesting, from this post I now conclude that most people that posts comment here are educated illiterate. In law they say justice must not only be done, it must be seen to have been done. when a promotion become an instrument for humuliation, does that promotion be said to be in good faith? As Nigerians don't we anymore a single sense of justice. A man is here saying that his promotion is humiliation yet we re not ready to see thru the lines. Even when enlightened opinions of competent members of the bar is posted above , most illiterate minds on this forum could still not see sense in the opinions of Sagay and others. It is a pity for Nigeria, the young people of today are not intellectually inclined.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by jpphilips(m): 2:59pm On Feb 10, 2011
Interesting, from this post I now conclude that most people that posts comment here are educated illiterate. In law they say justice must not only be done, it must be seen to have been done. when a promotion become an instrument for humuliation, does that promotion be said to be in good faith? As Nigerians don't we anymore a single sense of justice. A man is here saying that his promotion is humiliation yet we re not ready to see thru the lines. Even when enlightened opinions of competent members of the bar is posted above , most illiterate minds on this forum could still not see sense in the opinions of Sagay and others. It is a pity for Nigeria, the young people of today are not intellectually inclined.

Now you understand why majority of Nigerians are illiterates wait till beaf and Jakumo comment

I Say it for the umpteenth time, GEJ cannot and will not and is not destined to win a free and fair election.

first was paying as much as $7000 to delegates and quarantining them

second approving the use of Data capturing machines without a central data base (opposition dont have access)

Third is the Promotion of Salami.(in case opposition goes to court for his Guber puppets)

his strategies have been unveiled we now know the miscreant we have as a president. unfortunately millions of Nigerians are as blind as their leaders.
the comments above simply tells me that majority of Nigerians deserve the leadership they are getting

ONE MAN ONE VOTE MY A.RSE
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by switch47(m): 11:24pm On Feb 10, 2011
@ Post
Switch 47 here

As a solicitor and advocate of the supreme court of Nigeria, i will say the Judiciary is still the last hope of the common man, as a member of the bar i will say The Recent Scandal in the Judiciary is not something to be swept under the carpet if integrity still means anything in our palance, The NBA can not just call this an in-house thing, The President of the court of appeal has opened a can of worms the implication is gargantuan,raising a question of dignity/integrity in the view of the public!

@ Those who do not understand what really transpired , it is not promotion simpliciter but an attempt to carry out what has not been done in the history of the Nigerian Judiciary, it is a mockery on the position of the president -Court of appeal , that is why the NJC National judicial council has acted fast to quash the so called promotion.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by cvibe: 5:16am On Feb 11, 2011
Is it wrong for your boss to promote you?

Hon Salami should be investigated for his sit tight attitude and fired for insubordination.

If Hon Salami was told to compromise and he is only just bringing it to light when the issue of promotion came up, then he lacks the integrity for the office he is holding.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by plegend(m): 8:49am On Feb 11, 2011
What better way to show love,invite ppl for events & advertise your business this season via SMS/texts for a PROMO price of N1.60k/sms(from 1000units and above)

legendbulksmsDOTcom
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by elewedu(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2011
I have a level of misgivings as to the blantant decision of Justice Salami to take Supreme Court president to court, however, I think being a legal luminary ,he understands the fact that the last arbiter of justice is the court of law, that he has done. All in all, he has proved beyond reasonable doubt he is an apostle of change worthy of emulation, he has proved to young minds like us that we can institute change in our little way. Meanwhile, if you cant beat them, you will have to join them, the most honourable thing to do at this crucial point is to leave the stage , cos the ovation is still loud.
Re: Justice Salami Goes To Court Over Unwanted "promotion". by kaion(m): 5:47am On Feb 14, 2011
The answers on this thread goes a long way to show how ignorant loads of people are and can we just sit down and think for a moment before we all start commenting cos this promotion is like a demotion in all sense. I pray NIGERIA

(1) (2) (Reply)

Military Rule In Bayelsa - Sam Omatseye / WHY INEC Mocked Election Failed In Kano But A Success In Lagos And Delta State? / List Of Those Who Should Not Be Allowed To Join APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.