Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,108 members, 7,887,238 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:02 AM

To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise (1673 Views)

Kenyan Puts Up His Kidney For Sale To Raise Money For His Brother’s School Fees / My Fiancée Has Stopped Picking My Calls, Please Advise Me On What To Do / Our Marriage Maybe Seriously Falling Apart: Please Advise Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by nurey(m): 9:46am On Jul 27, 2020
I was opportuned to be home recently and my brother in-law was discussing with me how a certain school in Lagos asked my sister his wife to pay a certain amount of school fees.

my nephew and niece are 3 and 6 years old, still in primary 1 and 4 I suppose grin . they were in 2nd term and he had paid the school fees then before the covid-19 lockdown.

The children currently attend a lesson and according to him, the children receive homework from the school only via online means (I don't know the medium though). Things aren't great financially and he isn't ready to dish out money for no just cause since school resumption is unknown or still far away. His verdict was for my sister to give his number to the school authority so they can call him and have a discussion.

I agreed with the advice he gave and also told him to look at the possibility that probably the school wanted to pay teachers salary at least for them to keep body and soul together, but I was also thinking that the school should have called a kind of PTA meeting (via social media or mail) to inform/convince the parents of the reason why they should pay school fees.

please if there is any opinion of what can be done about it, I did like parents to contribute on a good way forward.

Thank you all.
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by Akhigbeblog(m): 9:54am On Jul 27, 2020
Why pay school fees, what are the children benefiting??
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by okirewaju(f): 12:01pm On Jul 27, 2020
They have been taught online right?

He has to pay for services rendered.
He can call to bargain if need be but he has to drop something.

The good thing is that online schooling is not compulsory. If you can't pay, then opt out.

2 Likes

Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by lorhema(f): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2020
This is a period when the character of school owners can be assessed

They should have gone through the PTA.
I guess they are expecting resistance.

Nothing is clear right now but these online classes are likely to be the 3rd term. It's so in many private schools in Lagos.

Your brother -in- law should discuss with the school and pay something.
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by ayeesha: 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2020
Op...

Online classes are supposed to attract a totally different fee and so should not be called school fees cos the schools are not running E-third term.
Schools that do that are only trying to take advantage of parents by getting them to pay for services not rendered.

They should have had a meeting with parents and agreed on payment plans as regards online classes from the start cos definitely, teachers involved in such classes must get paid. Also, the classes online are usually optional cos not everyone might be interested for different reasons.

The school my kids attend tried to impose the school fees( minus a certain tiny amount as discount grin) but whosai!!!..... Parents stood their ground that Lai Lai!.... Nobody is paying a whole terms school fees for online classes that will last from May-July only. Meanwhile, not all subjects will even be taught oooo. Parents insisted on paying an agreed amount monthly and that was optional as well. The school had no choice than to agree otherwise they loose out cos some parents were already looking online for alternatives.

If you want to charge me for online class, pls call it online class fees and charge me a reasonable amount for it but don't call it online class and then charge me physical term fees!! Everybody is feeling the heat and it's wrong to take advantage of parents just because you want money at all cost.

Let him discuss with the school and negotiate to pay for services rendered and then, discuss the way forward. The school needs to come up with a concrete plan that will benefit both them, the pupils and the parents for the online classes. It should be a win-win for all.

Please this is My Opinion.

2 Likes

Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by donstan18: 1:52pm On Jul 27, 2020
All these issues and unnecessarily dramas will end up affecting the teachers.

Chai! Many teachers are underrated and suffering in this country. May God be their strength.

1 Like

Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by donstan18: 1:57pm On Jul 27, 2020
*Modified*
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by nurey(m): 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2020
okirewaju:
They have been taught online right?

He has to pay for services rendered.
He can call to bargain if need be but he has to drop something.

The good thing is that online schooling is not compulsory. If you can't pay, then opt out.

With what I am aware of, I don't think the students take online classes I have been home a week and I am certain if they do take online classes I would know (my sister and brother in-law aren't tech savvy) they did have asked help from me or my other sister so we will be privy of online classes if it were done. My brother in-law only told me that the school sends assignments, I don't know whether assignments equate to lost time of the close down which will effect automatic promotion.

Also the lesson they go to physically is been done by a teacher in the school, so I doubt if the teacher has time to teach online classes
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by radautoworks: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2020
Online or not, teachers are still spending the same amount of time teaching your children so need their pay. Also, setting up online classes is neither cheap nor free. So yes, if he wants his children to be taught, he should pay school fees. There are wholly online schools and they are not free. Some actually cost more than in person colleges. Alternatively, there are tons of free lesson plans online and they can home-school the children.

(Former teacher and I know how much time out of the school and classroom teachers spend on their job and don't get paid for. You have no life. Work doesn't stop when the kids leave and follows you home. Lesson planning, grading... Don't let me have PTSD jare grin)
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by Johzn2020: 5:16pm On Jul 27, 2020
We all know how the pandemic- corona virus has tremendously affected education, and it's impact on schools. We must acknowledge that it hasn't come off easy on students to learn in these times, and that is why we've created a platform for free tutorials for students and others willing to learn or develop their intellectual capacity at the comfort of their homes.

We believe no one is dumb and each is born with different capacity and talents. Our chief aim is promoting efficiency and productivity within and outside school.

Kindly help your children develop themselves at this time. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNsBv15enAQ
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by okirewaju(f): 9:38pm On Jul 27, 2020
nurey:

With what I am aware of, I don't think the students take online classes I have been home a week and I am certain if they do take online classes I would know (my sister and brother in-law aren't tech savvy) they did have asked help from me or my other sister so we will be privy of online classes if it were done. My brother in-law only told me that the school sends assignments, I don't know whether assignments equate to lost time of the close down which will effect automatic promotion.

Also the lesson they go to physically is been done by a teacher in the school, so I doubt if the teacher has time to teach online classes
In that case, what then is he paying for?

I see no need for payment
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by radautoworks: 12:53am On Jul 29, 2020
Even across the ocean some people have the same question.

https://www.facebook.com/1485229986/posts/10223844543129909/?d=null&vh=i
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by oparahchi(m): 9:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
Please do not come to my thread or post to spill things that are zero value. I could as well do same here. Please be guided. Thank you
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by LadySarah: 10:06pm On Mar 09, 2021
how did a 3 and 6 yr old get to PRI 1 and PRI 4?
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by nurey(m): 7:13am On Mar 10, 2021
oparahchi:
Please do not come to my thread or post to spill things that are zero value. I could as well do same here. Please be guided. Thank you

You seriously just made my day grin, but you won't make head way by fighting dirty bro, face your sale God be with you.
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by nurey(m): 7:14am On Mar 10, 2021
LadySarah:

by been brilliant
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by LadySarah: 9:02am On Mar 10, 2021
nurey:

by been brilliant
Brilliant my foot!
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by Gloriagee(f): 9:11am On Mar 10, 2021
3 years old in Primary 1 undecided
Re: To Pay School Fees Or Not Please Advise by Gloriagee(f): 9:11am On Mar 10, 2021
Good question
LadySarah:

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Thrown Out By His White Lover For Not Cooking / Is It Right For You To Be Eating With Your Wife In Same Plate? / I Need Advice Concerning My Landlord And Lapo Loan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.