Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,256 members, 7,947,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 03:18 PM

Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager (695 Views)

Shoprite Nigeria Warns Against Internet Scam / Shoprite Ilorin Locks Doors As Crowd Stormed Their Store / Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Joylove2324(f): 11:19am On Aug 03, 2020
A store manager in one of the shops at the Ikeja Mall has stated that Shoprite Nigeria is not shutting down, rather it is being acquired by a local retail company.

Many Nigerians woke up to the news that Shoprite Nigeria was shutting down following an official communication by the supermarket giant that it is closing its Nigeria branch.

Many took to social media to blame President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration for Shoprite’s failing. The South African supermarket chain is leaving Nigeria after 15 years.

In reaction to a question that Shoprite was shutting down, the store manager, Adeyinka Saka offered clarification on the issue.

“Don’t get it twisted Sir, I am currently working as a store manager in one of the stores at Ikeja City Mall.

“It is being taken over by an indigenous retail company. Nobody is losing his or her job however, there will be a change in management.

Why is Shoprite selling Nigeria stake?

According to Koshiek Karan, a business adviser, Shoprite is leaving Nigeria because of a number of reasons including local culture and consumer preferences.

It would be recalled that Nigerians targeted and attacked South African businesses following xenophobia attacks that in South Africa.

“Shoprite is pulling out of Nigeria and is launching a formal process to sell their stake. South African listed companies have found it challenging to do business in Nigeria. MTN, Tiger Brands and now Shoprite,” Karan said.

“Sharp reminder the sheer arrogance of thinking Africa is “all the same” will burn you. Having advised on cross border African M&A deals, there’s very little emphasis at a senior exec level to really understand local cultures, consumer preferences and ways of doing business.

“It is never as simple as just setting up shop & expecting profits to roll in.”

Some Nigerians however that supermarket giant’s decision to leave Nigeria is because its management failed to manage its operations in Nigeria properly.

Adewunmi Collins, a journalist and political analyst urged Nigerians not to fret about Shoprite leaving. “The undue tension about Shoprite leaving our country should be doused with the fact that the management of Shoprite has failed.

“It has nothing to to do with the government. Spar, Justrite, Next Cash and Carry are all functioning and performing well. Our jobs secured,” she wrote on Twitter.
https://www.chronicle.ng/2020/08/shoprite-not-shutting-down-store-manager/

Cc:
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by SmartProf(m): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2020
Being acquired by a local investor is enough to send shivers to current staff due to potential job losses and major shake ups. Whatever the reason is, Nigeria under each successive govt has been a gross failure for investors, just like it has been in all sectors since 1960. Independence does not fit the country.
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Simplyleo: 11:21am On Aug 03, 2020
I know the earlier report is just another fake news cooked somewhere and sent to a WhatsApp broadcast by ipob miscreants.

I'm very sure lamidi cownu "intelligently discovered" the closing of shoprite and sent it to his brainwashed lunatics via WhatsApp message. This is to "keep them abreast" with what is happening globally.

Nonsense and ingredients. angry

2 Likes

Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Deputy1111(m): 11:22am On Aug 03, 2020
We should always get facts about any news, only the management of the shoprite changed not Shoprite leaving Nigeria
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by IKUBABAYEYE001: 11:23am On Aug 03, 2020
SHOPRITE Leaving Nigeria shouldn't be hyped in the manner at which it has been on Social Media. Jobs cannot be lost as it's been envisaged as only management are been changed at the level of ownership. There are lots of Nigerian investors that are willing to help invest in the Retail Sector of our Economy. Maybe when that is done then Nigeria can truly own this Sector of the Economy.

1 Like

Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by IamWonderful: 11:24am On Aug 03, 2020
Ok
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by christejames(m): 11:25am On Aug 03, 2020
What an inconsequential rebuttal from a pawn of this failed administration.

His statements holds nothing since the first statement directly emanates from their headquarters in Cape Town.

It shows the Ikeja branch manager doesn't know the weight of the tsunami that wants to sweep him.
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Joyce95: 11:26am On Aug 03, 2020
wink
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Nbotee(m): 11:28am On Aug 03, 2020
The company isnt making as much as it used to. They are selling becos dey can't afford to continue doing business here
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by okefrancis: 11:28am On Aug 03, 2020
Why this is flying all over the social media, firstly shoprite is leaving Nigeria but just changing of the management and also take over by indigenous retails
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by christejames(m): 11:32am On Aug 03, 2020
I am just ambivalent about the whole thing.

I am sad they will be leaving thereby creating job loses but I am happy because one of these SA companies that has monopolized their services in the country is leaving.

Why is it not DSTV?
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by TheRareGem1(f): 11:34am On Aug 03, 2020
All these fake news peddlers are nothing but a country wreckers.
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by OgundeleTeju: 11:34am On Aug 03, 2020
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by PrinceOfEast(m): 11:37am On Aug 03, 2020
Simplyleo:
[s]I know the earlier report is just another fake news cooked somewhere and sent to a WhatsApp broadcast by ipob miscreants.

I'm very sure lamidi cownu "intelligently discovered" the closing of shoprite and sent it to his brainwashed lunatics via WhatsApp message. This is to "keep them abreast" with what is happening globally.

Nonsense and ingredients.[/s] angry
Afonja will u keep shut!! Ipob will give u hbp las las. Set awon skull miners angry
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Shooyie: 11:38am On Aug 03, 2020
This is basically a change in management and I believe jobs will be protected. Besides, the stores haven't been doing great in other countries as well.
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by Psalmy2cute(m): 11:38am On Aug 03, 2020
Simplyleo:
I know the earlier report is just another fake news cooked somewhere and sent to a WhatsApp broadcast by ipob miscreants.

Nonsense and ingredients. angry
how you've managed to tag ipob to this news is what's really baffling ... Buhari your God father is a failure, take it or leave it
Re: Local Investor Acquiring Shoprite Nigeria – Store Manager by GMBuhari: 12:11pm On Aug 03, 2020
llike i said

the idiots who have rained insults and curses on Buhari for the earlier report will not come to this thread, even if they did , they won't comment and if they do , they will spin the narrative

as a matter of fact i see 5 of 12 ID's i noted viewing this thread, but not a sentence, not even space booking

(1) (Reply)

Hisense Flatscreen TV For Quick Sale. Cheap Price!! / Help! My Upwork Account Has Been Suspended! / Make 3k Or More Everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.