Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,734 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:57 AM

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason (40235 Views)

A 23 Year Old Graduate Working As A Housekeeper(cleaner) Pls Help Me / My Experience Working As A Bet9ja Cashier / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by fashrola(m): 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I told him i could. Shey no be my mates dey do am?

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

My headpan had already crashed down the ground.

I wonder what would have happened to me. Probably would have died.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

This type of job .... Most of those guys are on drugs to enable them do this kind of job

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by deltateam: 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
Ameboperoo:
This reminded me of my days in the Poly. I went for a job like like this and ended up spending like 3times of what i was paid, on drugs because I couldn't even afford to go to hospital.
It is well with you bros. Thank God for your life. You will live to tell the story one day. I feel like shedding tears right now.

Abeg shed am. You go dey alright las las.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Samysearch(m): 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

Ur write up was so eloquent. U could be a good novelist. Why not venture into fictional writing to see if u can blow. I am working on some project but yet to publish any. U never know bro., try writing

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Sterope(f): 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2020
Exactly. Most did not grow up doing hard labour.
Redman44:

Bro, I thank God for your life. However, I think you should apprentice yourself to a Plumber, Painter or Carpenter and learn some skills from them. If you humble yourself and apprentice yourself to any of them, they will take you along to sites and they will pay you some stipend everyday for being their assistant. If you learn quickly, you can start doing your own private jobs when you are free. Carrying pans of cement and sand etc is a very difficult job. You have to be extra strong to survive on jobs like that. Plumbing, Painting and Carpentry bring in more money if you are gifted in those areas. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by BennyDGreat: 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2020
xandy84:
God bless you, your family, and your hustle. You took the word out of my mouth. I will be a little detailed. There is nothing you can compare to skill to in Naija, US, UK, or any other country. Young people need to learn sustainable skills and not just jump from one hustle to another cos those skills are not transferable and you keep starting all over and the cycle continues. I remember when I left Naija in 2014. I did warehouse labor and wanted to die and I hate group-home work with passion and that is a no go area for me. I decided I needed skill and concludes truck mechanic is what I want. I went to a community college close to my house and acquire a skill and that was the best decision of my life. Now only did I work as a fleet technician with Coca-cola with good pay and benefits but also an Adjunct Professor with a technical school close my place. Hustle can only take you but so far but the answer to poverty and joblessness is SKILL, SKILL.

This is really inspiring. You should share your story more so many Nigerians can learn

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by okine4real: 3:15pm On Aug 04, 2020
@OP I really understandy what you went through. That was while,when I was building, I cook for every of my workers. Every night they come to my house for dinner. I really give them plenty food because I knew it was not easy. You would pay them, but the pain might still be with them weeks or months even after the completion of your job.Because of this thread, I will still go back and look for one Aboki and one other Yoruba guy, that worked on my house, that aboki particular was really helpful, the guy strong well well. Sometimes you just need to appreciate this guys more and more because what you paying them can't really correlate with the work been done on your site. And let me even say it here.. Shout out to Balinga and Adamu... You guys did very well for me

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by olamide0147: 3:16pm On Aug 04, 2020
lmao it really a crazy experience,bro I feel your pain. I remember back in 2014 someone called me and my guy for that kinda job, said we would get 1500 naira, being broke I was excited but on getting to the construction site bros lo and behold it was a two storey building, for where?. me wey get phobia for height, my mind don dey skip but hide fear. few minutes later we werw called to get our breakfast and the supervisor handed over 500 naira each to everyone,omo na so I hint my guy to meet me for house work don finish.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by KingMack(m): 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2020
The only hacks this labourers used in regaining their strengths for the next day job is weed, shekpe ad bread and coke or beans den if dem need woman na to lash jedi jedi babe wey come site.. The job no be everybody own sad

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by nedekid: 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
Queenlovely:
Sorry dear, in this country you find yourself, you got to be strong, and you are not a mason or bricklayer.you are just a helper, mason boy, I mean mason tender.

Just last year, one apprentice fell down from a 3 storied building in our neighborhood during construction, he was paralyzed immediately.

From suleija, we flew him out to a bone doctor in Indiana. That was how he was saved

So how are you coping now. I want to show some love, mail
Is it indianaioma you mean in imo state? Or the one in ozubulu?
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by ensamy(m): 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
As a student you can do apprentice with this guy's that fry puff puff, buns and egg roll at different corners of Lagos .. Atleast you will be sure of daily meal and pay. Then with small capitals when school resumes you can start your own at one corner at UNN , with this no need to ask money again from parents or uncles. You can see yourself through school. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I did that at school and saw myself through school.
I learnt it here in Lagos from those guys. I fried buns, puff puff, akara and prepared beans and pap also.
Students rushed it every morning and I had to higher two other workers. With this I finished my first degree and Masters degree without asking money from my parents. Instead I started supporting my siblings.
THE SECRET OF MAKING MONEY IS KEEP SHAME ASIDE AND START A BUSINESS.

18 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Peacefulguy90: 3:25pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

that is one of the reasons I hate daily paid job......I dey hustle but my own hustling nah pay as u work
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by nams77: 3:26pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

Thanks brother.

I'm still a student at UNN so i'm thinking i may not have the time to fully go under someone as an apprentice.
I just felt i had to do something to get money for my needs.There is no money coming in from anywhere.
@op.
Heed to this advice with4h all your heart. U will greet us later.
The economy get as e be. Learn a skill
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by xandy84: 3:32pm On Aug 04, 2020
Thanks. I decide to omit the country cos NL people sometimes reason somehow but the lession of the story is skill. I am presently helping a friend to go learn a skill. With a good skill, you feed your family any part of the world and that is the definition of a man. We ain't all going to be rich but feeding my family brings satisfaction and I can always hold my head up high.

[quote author=BennyDGreat post=92451471][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Next time start wit half days work, like 8 - 12 and go home...till u get used to it, labourer work for site no easy

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Goldp5988(f): 3:36pm On Aug 04, 2020
Justright34:
My brother life is not the bed of roses

Just learn to take a walk if you can't cop

EARN UP TO N3000 DAILY FOR FREE

By taking survey
Ferrer
Create topics

Withdraw to your bank account directly

Check my signature for link
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Maobichek: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2020
thunderbj:
I did this labour work too this last Friday,it was not easy at all. I carried three cement bags,I carried the first two when work started then I had enough strength and carried the last one in the evening. The last one I carried made me to regret going to the work cos I put it on my head.
it was just like the cement compressed my head with my chest and my heart together, make God just open way for person those work na no go area iswr
. Hahahaaaa! Do you see what men suffer to make money, after this kind of work, you come back home and your wife will still make you uncomfortable with nagging. God help us oh!

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by sylve11: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2020
Smiles @ Some comments.

@ op, sorry and I thank God for you. cool

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Sambaby7640: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2020
CuteMercury:
According to the lyrics from kiss daniel. Nor go dey do pass yourself. Bro thank GOD for your life. please do not allow circumstances of life to make you endanger your life, our country has forced a lot of old men and women into doing the same job that almost got you killed and in the long run, these old people died as a result of hard labour. most NIGERIANS that died at the age of 60 to 70 years of age due to health complications, actually died due to years of stress and hard labour, walking in the sun, no electricity, no balance diets, no Excercise and yet people be shouting APC, PDP!!! last last na the common man dey suffer and these common man has the power to vote for change and yet they sell their rights for rice, oil, beans during eletion. NIGERIANS are the worst set of people on earth when it comes to choosing of leaders.
on point
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by delishpot: 3:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Chai! Pkele, If you have any female friends even if na ndi mummies for mosque/church wey you dey say hello to eh, ask them to help you talk to their guys/hubbies for Jobs or gigs that you can help them do and get paid.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Sambaby7640: 3:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

Thanks brother.

I'm still a student at UNN so i'm thinking i may not have the time to fully go under someone as an apprentice.
I just felt i had to do something to get money for my needs.There is no money coming in from anywhere.
what course? Which campus?
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Thank God.

How do you expect him to pay you fully when you worked half day ?

Exhibiting typical Nigerian traits..

You worked as a Helper or Server not Mason.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Cj4charles(m): 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
las las, God no go shame US
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Maobichek: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
Queenlovely:
Sorry dear, in this country you find yourself, you got to be strong, and you are not a mason or bricklayer.you are just a helper, mason boy, I mean mason tender.

Just last year, one apprentice fell down from a 3 storied building in our neighborhood during construction, he was paralyzed immediately.

From suleija, we flew him out to a bone doctor in Indiana. That was how he was saved

So how are you coping now. I want to show some love, mail
God bless you real good for such a wonderful heart, you will not regret whatsoever you will do for him. Once again, God bless you and your family for this Amen.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by sync(f): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2020
You write so well.
What’s your qualification

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Ameboperoo(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
deltateam:

Abeg shed am. You go dey alright las las.
You no serious o
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by AkwaIbomMan(m): 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

why didn't you eat before embarking on the strenuous work?
bricklaying dey sap person energy oh

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by AkwaIbomMan(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
calaway:
Next time beforehand take 2 tab of panadol and again every 3hrs while the job is on. Its all u need to last a day of tedious labor and have no pains later. Do this as a gentleman.. But Ur mates u saw doing it effortlessly use tramadol or splif to tilt the odds.

That guy that saved you. Look for him and thank him.. . He is God s angel watching over you
you're right as per the panadol issue.
But those guys there might not take any tramadol, probably they're used to the job

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
grin grin grin
Yawa skit needs to see this!
I just pictured Kalistus playing your role.
Chai!
Man must survive but no be any job man gats take to survive.

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by joinnow: 3:53pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

na wawa for you
just like you want to run maraton. you suppose start small.
next time tell them you want to work half day
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by AkwaIbomMan(m): 3:53pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

Thanks brother.

same here brother, I'm also a student and the money isn't coming from anywhere.
these are hard times for us.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2020
Gibsonho:
Thank God for your life bro.
I also did the work in 200l. I'm the last born of my parents, I hate requesting for money from them so I decided to hustle and pay my bills myself, 5 people including myself offloaded 600 bags of cement,. I was payed #2000 that day, for 3days I could not turn my neck.

grin grin lmao
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by stonecoldcafe: 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

Thanks brother.

You have been advised well but you are making excuses. School is on hold due to covid. You have no idea when it would be back up. You can learn

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cardinal Stone 2015 Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test!!! / Job Winning CV...(Updated) / Gtbank Recruitment 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.