Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,450 members, 7,881,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 01:11 AM

More Black Male In Jail In America - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Black Male In Jail In America (1783 Views)

Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail / Roads That Lead To Jail In Lagos / NEPA: No More Black- Out 1986 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2011
than in college,how true is it?Is it also true that if one is done for 2 crimes,d third one,no matter how trivial will mean a life sentence in america?
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by MaJBlige(f): 10:11pm On Feb 11, 2011
this is no news bros.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Afam4eva(m): 10:12pm On Feb 11, 2011
Stale news.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2011
redsun:

than in college,how true is it?Is it also true that if one is done for 2 crimes,d third one,no matter how trivial will mean a life sentence in america?

I'm pretty sure that's flat out false, but I can't be bothered to dig up the statistics.

Also, I think it's three felonies, not just three crimes.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by jaygetta1: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2011
Three felonies in certain states. The 3 strike law is not in Federal statutes, nor is it practiced widely in States.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2011
American justice system must be d most primitive in d developed world,not even as fair as south african justice system.No wonder there are so many naive blacks in jail,d justice system is a bait for d vulnerable
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Kobojunkie: 10:26pm On Feb 11, 2011
^^^ You must be joking?? shocked shocked shocked

You just revealed in one thread that you have remained clueless to a fact that most have known for decades, and on the same thread you declare the american justice system the problem for what you have little knowledge of? undecided undecided undecided
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 10:33pm On Feb 11, 2011
There are more white people in jail in Finland than black people . . . hissssss
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 11, 2011
More black women in college than black men. FACT!
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 10:40pm On Feb 11, 2011
^ Yeah traitors. Even more disturbing is that there are more black women in engineering and science PhDs than black men. Usually men dominate science and engineering since we are more analytical and pragmatic than women. However the reverse is the case for blacks in the US.

However Men dominate in naija so that all that matters.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 10:41pm On Feb 11, 2011
U seems to be confiming my fear is true junkie?and if u are,why are u wondering why i think it's primitive? Or do u think it's fair?anyway,u are one of dem,ur opinion is prejudiced
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 10:43pm On Feb 11, 2011
U seems to be confiming my fear is true junkie?and if u are,why are u wondering why i think it's primitive? Or do u think it's fair?anyway,u are one of dem,your opinion is prejudiced

Ignore, Kobojunkie, she thinks or wishes she was white. She is what is called a coconut or oriole.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 11, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ Yeah traitors. Even more disturbing is that there are more black women in engineering and science PhDs than black men. Usually men dominate science and engineering since we are more analytical and pragmatic than women. However the reverse is the case for blacks in the US.

True. For some of the engineering courses I took, there were more black women than men. In most of my classes, there are more women over all than men. I hope I'm not the only one noticing this trend; more women are going to school than men. It's only about time women start having more power than men.

Of course in Naija it's going to be the reverse. Let me not even get started on the injustice in that country! Esp the part women having to sleep with their professors in order to get a degree.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 10:47pm On Feb 11, 2011
She is a freefall.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 11, 2011
SEFAGO:

Ignore, Kobojunkie, she thinks or wishes she was white. She is what is called a coconut or oriole.

No she doesn't/ isnt. She states the truth, something you men can't handle.  lipsrsealed
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Feb 11, 2011
redsun:

U seems to be confiming my fear is true junkie?and if u are,why are u wondering why i think it's primitive? Or do u think it's fair?anyway,u are one of dem,your opinion is prejudiced

So, pointing out that for the umpteenth time, your conclusion is NOT BASED ON FACT means I am the problem? You need to grow up!!! Calling a system primitive simply cause you cannot take time to educate yourself on the actual cause of a situation only shows how ignorant you are as a person and how low you are willing to stoop to make sure you remain that way.

Please, learn to educate yourself on issues rather than jumping to these ridiculous conclusions without much thoiught. It is 2011, a new year for you to GROW UP and become more analytical, in your reasoning, as a person for your own life's sake.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:58pm On Feb 11, 2011
SEFAGO:

Which Ph.D's? I don't think that's actually true. Maybe more African American women in undergrad, but I'm skeptical of this Ph.D claim. If you actually try to look up African American (non-African, non-Carribean, etc) professors or find African American researchers at companies, you mostly see men, so I don't know how true this could be.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Afam4eva(m): 11:00pm On Feb 11, 2011
SEFAGO:

There are more white people in jail in Finland than black people . . . hissssss

Na waoo, How many black people are in finland.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 11:03pm On Feb 11, 2011
Incaceration is main to rehabilitate lives not to destroy lives like they are doing to blacks in US. If lidsey lohan were to be a black bittch,she would ve long be locked up for good.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 11:04pm On Feb 11, 2011
No she doesn't/ isnt. She states the truth, something you men can't handle.

This is where Oscar Wilde comes in- The truth is rarely pure and simple the way its stated on NL

Of course in Naija it's going to be the reverse. Let me not even get started on the injustice in that country! Esp the part women having to sleep with their professors in order to get a degree.

Personally, I like the status quo. Being a professor in Nigeria is a thankless job and the pay is atrocious. What better way to get paid than demand fresh young kitten each semester?

True. For some of the engineering courses I took, there were more black women than men. In most of my classes, there are more women over all than men. I hope I'm not the only one noticing this trend; more women are going to school than men. It's only about time women start having more power than men.

Thats in florida. In Florida nearly all the black men are in jail. Thats a FACT haha. Honestly though in America women are now more common in classrooms than men regardless of race except in quantitative fields like Engineering and science. However, in other sane parts of the world women are not at the same level as men. While its quite interesting that women will be able to attain the same level of success if given the opportunity, I personally prefer the latter case in which we men are the dominant sex in education and control everything. No need letting someone so damn emotional in the classroom or workplace.

Anyways I would put this down to focus. Most women are more focussed than men. However Men are smarter in terms of IQ. So women are hardworkers while men are smarter.

I definitely prefer to be smarter.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:08pm On Feb 11, 2011
Lol, are men actually smarter? Or do the smart men just have bigger egos and more pride than the smart women, which drives them to compete and go to unusual lengths to prove their smartness? I would take this view.

[size=5pt]Or is SEFAGO just trying to start a war of the sexes? [/size]
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 11:10pm On Feb 11, 2011
Junkie,what do know about facts? D facts that u are schooled to believe in,one sided facts,tell it to d birds.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 11:31pm On Feb 11, 2011
Na waoo, How many black people are in finland.

Well u figure. Anyways there are reasons why so many black men are in jail and this has been extensively discussed. I personally prefer to watch p/o/rn than elaborate on this.

Which Ph.D's? I don't think that's actually true. Maybe more African American women in undergrad, but I'm skeptical of this Ph.D claim. If you actually try to look up African American (non-African, non-Carribean, etc) professors or find African American researchers at companies, you mostly see men, so I don't know how true this could be.

Hold on, searching for evidence.

Lol, are men actually smarter? Or do the smart men just have bigger egos and more pride than the smart women, which drives them to compete and go to unusual lengths to prove their smartness? I would take this view.

Ego does play a role. But:

The analyses of more than 20,000 verbal reasoning tests taken by university students from around the world revealed that women's IQs are up to five points lower than men's .

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-405056/Men-intelligent-women-claims-new-study.html#ixzz1DgxIe700

Women needn't feel despondent, however, as the scientists believe women can achieve just as much as men - as long as they work harder.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-405056/Men-intelligent-women-claims-new-study.html#ixzz1Dgx4VlAe

With respect to redsun:

Prof Rushton, who four years ago triggered a scientific row by claiming intelligence and behaviour are influenced by race, with blacks being more likely to be involved in crime and Asians having a greater chance of high IQs, however, stands by his results.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-405056/Men-intelligent-women-claims-new-study.html#ixzz1Dgwwfhae

why no women at all have ever won the coveted Fields Medal for mathematics in eight decades of trying.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1274952/Men-ARE-brainy-women-says-scientist-Professor-Richard-Lynn.html#ixzz1DgxV8W1r

Its quite unfortunate that I have to quote Richard Lynn to prove a point but women are 5 IQ points dumber than men.

nevertheless I still love my Ekiti princess
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 11:59pm On Feb 11, 2011
Hmm there isn't much data. The best I could find was this:

The Gender Gap in Black Ph.D. Awards

As is the case in almost every measure of African-American achievement in higher education, black women have come to hold a large lead in doctoral awards. As recently as 1977 black women earned only 38.7 percent of all doctorates awarded to African Americans. By 2000 black women earned 65.7 percent of all doctorates awarded to African Americans. There have been only minor fluctuations since the beginning of the century. In 2006 black women earned 65 percent of all doctorates awarded to African Americans.

Since 1990 African-American women have increased their number of Ph.D. awards from 550 to 1,079. This is an increase of 96 percent. In contrast, the number of Ph.D. awards to African-American men increased from 351 in 1990 to 580. This is a rise of 65.5 percent.

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/58_decline_in_doctorates.html
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:04am On Feb 12, 2011
lol, Only Lynn and Rushton, where's Jensen? You shouldn't separate the troika. Pseudoscience is to be absorbed whole, not piecemeal, if you really want to get an idea of the field.

Aren't these the same goons that said the average I.Q. (not education level, not literacy level, not familiarity with Western science and learning, mind you, but the so called "g factor" or intellectual potential) of Ghana was like 71 and Nigeria's was 67?  grin  grin Aren't these the same clowns who swear that African Americans have an IQ 15 points higher than sub-Saharan Africans merely by being in the West or mixing with other races, despite glaring evidence to the contrary? Aren't these the same clowns (Rushton, especially) who just fantastically assert that moving into Eurasia, where there is winter, made other groups have to perform more challenging and complex tasks to survive that resulted in higher intelligence/big ol' brains without actually giving any convincing evidence of what these specific tasks were and what actual processes could have led to the specific changes they claim occurred? And without showing or providing any evidence that there were no huge challenges to adapting to different African environments after migrations or showing that it was much easier to survive without employing any thought or performing challenging tasks in Africa than in Eurasia? These guys are not scientists my friend. You know good and well that they are psychologists with a good grasp of statistics and a poor grasp of reality, history, and even the countries and populations they claim to scientifically study. Crackpot "psychometricians" should not be used as a source to back up claims.

70? 67?

30+ points below whites?

Meanwhile, every study of educational attainment and test scores puts Nigerians and Ghanians in the U.K. and U.S. and other countries on about equal footing with their white counterparts,  - a phenomenon which could not possibly be explained by the so-called Flynn effect, as the Flynn effect can't result in a 30-35 point I.Q. jump (2 or more standard deviations if we take st. dev = 15) in one's children just from moving to a more intellectually enriching and stimulating country.

Also, how can anyone say women were really trying to win the Fields medal for eight decades? Do you really even believe women have been "trying" to win it since before the late sixties, when societies around the world started to change and it became less unusual for women to go into such fields? Also, when you have a small population to begin with (I mean the population of female research mathematicians is much much smaller than the male one) how can you win it anyway when you make up 5-10% at most (being generous, just for the sake of the argument) and the group you're supposed to outdo makes up 90-95%? Think about this logically.

Also, five points? What are the error bounds, for those I.Q. estimates for the 20,000 tests taken? And is five points significant?

Hold on, searching for evidence.

You're not going to find any. Most of the African American scientists and researchers are and will continue to be men, it's just that their ratio is not as lopsided as other groups because the men are slacking to some degree in pursuing those fields.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:07am On Feb 12, 2011
SEFAGO:

Hmm there isn't much data. The best I could find was this:

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/58_decline_in_doctorates.html

Does it say what areas the doctorates are in? I was only countering your claim with regard to science.

I don't mean to deny that psychology, literature, etc. would see African American men getting trounced by the females, but when you look around for African American scientists, its overwhelmingly men, really.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 12:38am On Feb 12, 2011

Does it say what areas the doctorates are in? I was only countering your claim with regard to science.

I don't mean to deny that psychology, literature, etc. would see African American men getting trounced by the females, but when you look around for African American scientists, its overwhelmingly men, really.

No thats why I said that was the best I could find. However, I had a source which I closed- that indicated that a recent survey showed as far back as 2000 that half of the PhDs in Mathematics were awarded to black women. I would wager that the number has significantly increased.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3134128?seq=2

You're not going to find any. Most of the African American scientists and researchers are and will continue to be men, it's just that their ratio is not as lopsided as other groups because the men are slacking to some degree in pursuing those fields.

Currently yes. But more Black women are enrolling in doctoral programs. How do I know this- well at first it was more anecdotal and from skimming through research groups at various universities. When you see a black face its bound to be a girl/woman.

In terms of whether they are more represented in the social sciences/humanities relative to the STEM field there is no current proof- which I am sure you would be unable to provide yourself- that the distribution of black men in STEM is larger than that of women except of course anecdotes.

Also what field are you talking about- dont forget that the number of blacks getting Physics and Chemistry Phds are really small. I know for Physics men outnumber women but for chemistry/biology/engineering this is not the case.

Spelman college is the second most common baccalaureate origin for most blacks getting PhDs. This is after Howard.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by SEFAGO(m): 12:54am On Feb 12, 2011
lol, Only Lynn and Rushton, where's Jensen? You shouldn't separate the troika. Pseudoscience is to be absorbed whole, not piecemeal, if you really want to get an idea of the field.

Why the hate these guys are funny now. Yes, they are the epitome of pseudoscience but you can still glean some information on their racial theories.

Aren't these the same goons that said the average I.Q. (not education level, not literacy level, not familiarity with Western science and learning, mind you, but the so called "g factor" or intellectual potential) of Ghana was like 71 and Nigeria's was 67?

While of course this does not make sense from Our/Your perspective, lets be a bit objective. True, first of all they might have had a sample size issue, also we dont know who exactly they tested and what type of questions they tested so yes the test is void. So there would really be no need to analyze the statistics since their methodology is already bound to be whack anyways

Grin Grin Aren't these the same clowns who swear that African Americans have an IQ 15 points higher than sub-Saharan Africans merely by being in the West or mixing with other races, despite glaring evidence to the contrary? Aren't these the same clowns (Rushton, especially) who just fantastically assert that moving into Eurasia, where there is winter, made other groups have to perform more challenging and complex tasks to survive that resulted in higher intelligence/big ol' brains without actually giving any convincing evidence of what these specific tasks were and what actual processes could have led to the specific changes they claim occurred? And without showing or providing any evidence that there were no huge challenges to adapting to different African environments after migrations or showing that it was much easier to survive without employing any thought or performing challenging tasks in Africa than in Eurasia? These guys are not scientists my friend. You know good and well that they are psychologists with a good grasp of statistics and a poor grasp of reality, history, and even the countries and populations they claim to scientifically study. Crackpot "psychometricians" should not be used as a source to back up claims.

true but they serve their purpose. Winning internet arguments grin

Meanwhile, every study of educational attainment and test scores puts Nigerians and Ghanians in the U.K. and U.S. and other countries on about equal footing with their white counterparts, - a phenomenon which could not possibly be explained by the so-called Flynn effect, as the Flynn effect can't result in a 30-35 point I.Q. jump (2 or more standard deviations if we take st. dev = 15) in one's children just from moving to a more intellectually enriching and stimulating country.

Where are these studies? Most of these studies suggest high academic achievement of immigrants relative to minorities of the same race i.e Africans and Carribeans doing quite well in the UK (with black african girls achieving equivalent GCSE to white males) and US (Where Africans are proprtionally overrepresented in elite colleges).

No study explicitly (That I am aware off) compares the IQs of Nigerians in the west to that of Whitse or Asians.

Also, how can anyone say women were really trying to win the Fields medal for eight decades? Do you really even believe women have been "trying" to win it since before the late sixties, when societies around the world started to change and it became less unusual for women to go into such fields? Also, when you have a small population to begin with (I mean the population of female research mathematicians is much much smaller than the male one) how can you win it anyway when you make up 5-10% at most (being generous, just for the sake of the argument) and the group you're supposed to outdo makes up 90-95%? Think about this logically.

For one, the question is why were there less women in the sciences mathematics before?

I think that was the premise for his statement. What exactly prevented and still prevents women from pursuing hard sciences and engineering doctoral degrees even now where gender discrimination has become less and less of an issue (in America and Europe anyways?)

Also why are more women in the biological sciences and less in the hard science and engineering fields? Like can you claim discrimination occurs in one while discrimination is nonexistent in the other?
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by redsun(m): 12:56am On Feb 12, 2011
Oyinbo idea of intelligence in most cases are perveted.If crime rate is determine by race and intelligence,then oyinbos must be d crudest because they commit more atrocities than any other race,going by history and evidences at hand.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:58am On Feb 12, 2011
SEFAGO:

No thats why I said that was the best I could find. However, I had a source which I closed- that indicated that a recent survey showed as far back as 2000 that half of the PhDs in Mathematics were awarded to black women. I would wager that the number has significantly increased.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3134128?seq=2

Currently yes. But more Black women are enrolling in doctoral programs. How do I know this- well at first it was more anecdotal and from skimming through research groups at various universities. When you see a black face its bound to be a girl/woman.

In terms of whether they are more represented in the social sciences/humanities relative to the STEM field there is no current proof- which I am sure you would be unable to provide yourself- that the distribution of black men in STEM is larger than that of women except of course anecdotes.

Also what field are you talking about- dont forget that the number of blacks getting Physics and Chemistry Phds are really small. I know for Physics men outnumber women but for chemistry/biology/engineering this is not the case.

Spelman college is the second most common baccalaureate origin for most blacks getting PhDs. This is after Howard.

I see. Interesting info.

I was actually including all engineering, plus physics, math, and chemistry. I didn't consider biology because I wouldn't know, but I guess I was thinking more about research than just people with Ph.D's.  However, you might be right, the trend could be changing and more and more African American women could be going into research. Which is a good thing, because if the men, don't do it, somebody's got to show that they're capable of rising up from the past and pursuing careers that their non-black peers pursue.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:18am On Feb 12, 2011
SEFAGO:

Where are these studies? Most of these studies suggest high academic achievement of immigrants relative to minorities of the same race i.e Africans and Carribeans doing quite well in the UK (with black african girls achieving equivalent GCSE to white males) and US (Where Africans are proprtionally overrepresented in elite colleges).

No study explicitly (That I am aware off) compares the IQs of Nigerians in the west to that of Whitse or Asians.

True, true. I was operating under the assumption that there was a correlation between I.Q. scores and educational attainment , but I don't have any direct proof (not even SAT scores, which would obviously correlate with I.Q.) of what I would need to say undoubtedly that African immigrants would score about the same on I.Q. tests as Asian and White counterparts. My mistake, on that one.

For one, the question is why were there less women in the sciences mathematics before?

I think that was the premise for his statement. What exactly prevented and still prevents women from pursuing hard sciences and engineering doctoral degrees even now where gender discrimination has become less and less of an issue (in America and Europe anyways?)

Also why are more women in the biological sciences and less in the hard science and engineering fields? Like can you claim discrimination occurs in one while discrimination is nonexistent in the other?

I don't deny that men and women are wired differently, to pursue different things, but I think it's a mis-characterization to call it a difference in "intelligence" (using the standard interpretation of that word).  I still recall two of my high school teachers, both female and around their 50s, - one had a master's in Economics and the other a masters in mathematics (they were like the head teachers basically), and although they loved their subjects with a passion, when they described their history and background in class, it became obvious that they had never even once thought about (not even considered as a real option) research in the subjects that they loved. They bagged their degrees and moved immediately into the professional world. Yet both were highly intelligent. I think they were fine with having a passion for something without having the ego to feel the need to reach a certain "prestigious" level in their fields. I think this isn't unusual among women. And some will be fine without the master's, and so on.
Re: More Black Male In Jail In America by Jenifa1: 1:03am On Feb 14, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I'm pretty sure that's flat out false, but I can't be bothered to dig up the statistics.

you'd be surprised undecided

not saying it's true. but I won't be too surprised if it were.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Ghana And Nigeria? / Nigerian Elections To Be Cancelled - State Of Emergency May Be Implemented Soon / ACN, Not APGA Is The Party To Beat In Anambra – Ojukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.