Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,133 members, 7,880,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:07 PM

Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland (4343 Views)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia / Ekpeye Masquerade Festival In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by hitmanogo: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2021
Abagworo:

An Ekpeye scholar has come up with a claim that could disorganize several decades old historic and academic studies. In his book he has affirmed a claim of autochthony for Ekpeye amd ascribing parts of Igboland to original Ekpeye speakers. Based on my knowledge of the areas he claimed there is similarity but then everything still boils down to Crossriver area of Ebonyi State and Abia State as origin. Ikwerre for example is most appropriately an offshoot of Ikwo in Ebonyi that moved to Arochukwu for consultation then followed the Aro people to Etche where they lived before moving on to found separate settlement at Isiokpo. The movement is verifiable both from the Aro tales to the Etche chronicles. Aros still have a big settlement beside Isiokpo and are called Azumini not Isoma used for other Igbos. Aros also established the Amadioha or Kamalu shrine at Ozuzu in Etche as well as the Igwekali shrine at Umunoha in Mbaitoli. What will be interesting in this book is how the Ekpeye Scholar will ascribe Aro to Ekpeye origin and then claim most of the Aro influences as Ekpeye influence however the most interesting is that he has debunked the Benin origin ascribed to Akalaka all these years. Akaraka is a common title/name in Arochukwu area and means destiny while Oha is an Igbo term for "the people" but used more as a title in the Owerri and Ikwerre area which he claims spoke Ekpeye in the past. I've not heard of Oha in Delta Igbo but rather Ikenga which is linked to Nri culture just like Ozo title.
All what is proven here is that ekpeye has a close relationship with hinterland igbos unlike the Bini theory of origin. They are doing well. It's little by little. One day they will write another book to prove they are fully igbos. It's just a matter of time.�

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by hitmanogo: 8:00pm On Aug 29, 2021
All what is proven here is that ekpeye has a close relationship with hinterland igbos unlike the Bini theory of origin. They are doing well. It's little by little. One day they will write another book to prove they are fully igbos. It's just a matter of time.�
Abagworo:

An Ekpeye scholar has come up with a claim that could disorganize several decades old historic and academic studies. In his book he has affirmed a claim of autochthony for Ekpeye amd ascribing parts of Igboland to original Ekpeye speakers. Based on my knowledge of the areas he claimed there is similarity but then everything still boils down to Crossriver area of Ebonyi State and Abia State as origin. Ikwerre for example is most appropriately an offshoot of Ikwo in Ebonyi that moved to Arochukwu for consultation then followed the Aro people to Etche where they lived before moving on to found separate settlement at Isiokpo. The movement is verifiable both from the Aro tales to the Etche chronicles. Aros still have a big settlement beside Isiokpo and are called Azumini not Isoma used for other Igbos. Aros also established the Amadioha or Kamalu shrine at Ozuzu in Etche as well as the Igwekali shrine at Umunoha in Mbaitoli. What will be interesting in this book is how the Ekpeye Scholar will ascribe Aro to Ekpeye origin and then claim most of the Aro influences as Ekpeye influence however the most interesting is that he has debunked the Benin origin ascribed to Akalaka all these years. Akaraka is a common title/name in Arochukwu area and means destiny while Oha is an Igbo term for "the people" but used more as a title in the Owerri and Ikwerre area which he claims spoke Ekpeye in the past. I've not heard of Oha in Delta Igbo but rather Ikenga which is linked to Nri culture just like Ozo title.

2 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by chimaicon(m): 2:41am On Sep 10, 2021
Please I also found out about some people called the effium people in Igboland and I learnt they are not Igbo but migrant from a neighboring state, can someone enlighten me more about them?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Omahjasper(m): 11:22pm On Sep 10, 2022
Abagworo:

The proto Ikwerre isn't any offshoot of Ekpeye even though they all migrated from Crossriver. The father of Ikwerre ethnic group is Okpo Wagidi from Ama-Okpo in present day Ikwo LGA of Ebonyi State. He left Ikwo to consult Arochukwu Oracle "Ubini Ukpabi" with a large entourage after being falsely accused of sacrilege and vowed never to return or be sold into slavery. He migrated Southwards with Aro slave traders to present day Etche LGA in Rivers State where he stayed until the people felt his people were growing too large in population and allowed them cross over Chokocho to settle on virgin land. Okpo moved till he got stuck at the waterside and it was from there his entourage dispersed to found other Ikwerre communities. Ikwerre is actually Ikwo-ere meaning Ikwo can't sell us. Igbere in Abia State has similar story as they moved from Etche in present day Rivers State to present day Bende LGA in Abia State. They are descendants of Ebiri Okomoko in Etche. Igbere is actually Igbo-ere meaning Igbo can't sell us. If anyone doubts this history he should visit Etche in Rivers State and Ikwo in Ebonyi State.

Till date the Aro maintain their stay in part of Ishiokpo and are called Azumini by the Okpo descendants.
I'm from ikwo but i can't tell such history but i can understand at least 50percent of ikwerre language, proudly nwikwo, ibinukpabi is idol worshipped mostly by the elderly men of our land there travel to Abia to consult it.

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Mrincredy(m): 5:20pm On Sep 13, 2022
This is like a male waking up to say he should be addressed as a female.

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by AutomaticMotors: 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2022
They are not igbos leave them alone!!
Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Nikkitaboy(m): 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2022
AutomaticMotors:
They are not igbos leave them alone!!

so far they keep on hving the igbo prescence in them
they would continue to be that.
if they don't want to be igbos, let them remove everything igbo from them

and i don't see u being igbo/from those igboid groups
so i don't see why you're taking paracetamol for anoda pesin's headache

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Oldest Monarch Between Nnewi/ Anaedo and Onitsha/Obosi is ? / LYRICS: Ycee – Omo Alhaji / The Igbo Woman And Her Plight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.