Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,928 members, 7,935,942 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 07:31 PM

Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place (13962 Views)

Anyone Seen This Hilarious cartoon? / Has Anyone Seen The Silly Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Punch By Fayose? / Precious I'm Confus , Pls Where Is D Place In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by doyin13(m): 9:12pm On Feb 13, 2011
Don't get carried away with Angola's story. The gap between poor and rich is the biggest in the world and I read a story in the Economist only this morning where they described a part of thesame Luanda that only just got drinkable water.

The elite live in walled communities in the luxurious buildings you describe while the majority of the people live in abject poverty supported by international aid.

To compound the misery of the poor, Luanda is one of the three most expensive cities in the world. How about that for a success story.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 9:27pm On Feb 13, 2011
Don't get carried away with Angola's story. The gap between poor and rich is the biggest in the world and I read a story in the Economist only this morning where they described a part of thesame Luanda that only just got drinkable water.

The elite live in walled communities in the luxurious buildings you describe while the majority of the people live in abject poverty supported by international aid.

To compound the misery of the poor, Luanda is one of the three most expensive cities in the world. How about that for a success story.

The only reason why Luanda is the most expensive city in the world is because as at late as 2005, there was only one luxurious apartment in the whole city.
(which is understandable having just come out of  3 decades of war) It was basically down to simple economic theory, demand higher than supply price increases hence the recent growth in luxurious apartment. But having said that,  the shopping malls and the hosing projects would lift a lot of the so called poor people u mentioned out of poverty and the malls would provide them with jobs. If u live in the UK and u have been to lakeside and bluewater shopping malls, those employed in those malls would not be less than a 1000 each and that is a conservative estimate.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 9:48pm On Feb 13, 2011
[size=18pt]Angola attracts world-wide Shoppers[/size]

About a year ago in Nigeria the Palms Shopping Centre opened, and has been so successful that it has been called, “world class shopping”. South Africa has also been very successful, and has significantly contributed to the development of trade in the southern region of the continent. Though many of the more successful shopping malls on the continent are located in the South African cities of Johannesburg, and Cape Town, Luanda, Angola also has a prominent shopping mall.

The Belas Shopping Center which opened in September 2007 is known as a shopping palace, made possible with the help of foreign investors. Belas Shopping Center has incredible potential due to the growing prosperity in the region. Luanda, where the shopping center is located has swept past previous cities that held the “most expensive city” title such as Tokyo and London.

Due to the surplus of revenue from the exportation of oil, this once quiet port city of Luanda is now experiencing a very successful property boom. Investors and realtors are trying to take advantage of this newly prosperous land, but are running into some obstacles. Most of the city of Luanda is occupied by small settlements that grew rapidly during Angola’s civil war when residents fled to these areas for safety. So how can this thriving city of virgin diamond mines and oil reserves continue to grow and create more wealth for the country with the amount of land as scarce as it already is? The growing industry of steel construction offers a solution.

Ship It Build It, a company that specializes in utilizing steel shipping containers and converting them into a variety of different layouts has created a design for shopping malls and business centers, along with affordable housing, all which can be constructed cost effectively and rapidly.

These steel shipping containers can be customized and designed with a variety of colors and sizes, and numerous layout options creating a space efficient and cost effective alternative to a traditional shopping center, which usually takes up a large amount of land.

These steel shipping containers can be shipped fully equipped with the merchandise of the new store completely stocked, and be stylishly converted into an assortment of different types of retail stores, allowing shoppers and store owners to have the same feel of a traditional shopping center. These stores in a box offer all of the amenities of a conventional shopping center or market, and are open aired and equipped with store front windows, overhead awnings, and even a playground area for the kids. The idea of recreational centers and playground equipment is especially beneficial because of the lack of parks and recreational areas in Luanda. These recreational constructions come in a variety of layouts and colors while providing a sense of community for parents and children.

Ship It Build It also offers the option of using these steel shipping containers to convert them into affordable and durable housing units. These living units are cost effective and are very space efficient which is necessary in Luanda. Steel construction housing comes in a variety of different layouts and sizes, and is so durable it can withstand severe weather conditions.

With the rapid expansion in Luanda, Angola, new shopping centers, recreational areas and affordable housing must be created. Because Luanda has such a small amount of available land for new buildings, space efficiency is very important. Ship It Build It can rapidly convert steel shipping containers into open air shopping centers, recreational areas with playgrounds, and even housing centers; this affordable and durable solution is a great alternative to traditional building construction. For more information on Ship It Build it and their steel shipping container construction please visit www.ShipItBuildIt.com.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 9:56pm On Feb 13, 2011
[size=18pt]The young, rich and emerging Angola[/size]

The runway at Aeroporto Internacional de Fevereiro Luanda is the first stop. It has no potholes, but is flanked on either side by long and wide lines of shabby shanty houses.

And just as your mind begins to grasp a somewhat tragic feeling, you walk into a state-of-the-art Airport facility, with that quiet kind of cleanliness.

The airport is barely six months old, and is faced by a canvas of criss-crossing roads and highways, busy with traffic.

I was among a group of journalists invited to take part in the launch of Kenya Airways flights to Luanda, the capital of the Portuguese speaking nation. We were bundled into two vans and shipped to the newer side of town, better known as Talatona.

The clean roads were well marked and littered with vehicles; from the typical Toyota Rav 4 to Jeeps, Hummers, blue and white Nissan matatus, and the widest array of Hyundais and BMWs I have ever laid eyes on.

As a passenger, it was easy for me to shut eye with no pothole to wake me up, and after at least half an hour, because of the traffic, we ended up at Belas Shopping – one of the newest and largest shopping malls in Talatona.

“Belas means beautiful,” says our guide and part-time translator from KQ, Tony.

After having lunch at the Belas Shopping food court, which cost about $15 per head, we went on a tour of Talatona. Basically it’s like the new Luanda. The government has plans to get rid of the shanties that are strewn all over the main city centre so that the town reflects the new peace being experienced in that country.

Condos, apartments, maisonettes with humongous swimming pools and neatly decked are on sale to anyone interested. And in case you haven’t made up your mind, pictures of the legendary and much loved footballer Pele can be seen on several billboards, smiling to the Angolan national’s pockets.

Angola is wealthy in diamonds and oil, and after more than 27 years of fighting in the countryside, peace was finally achieved in 2002. Since then, there have been efforts to build the infrastructure in the country and focus on growth.

Though wealthy, Angola does not even have an oil refinery and therefore must import the commodity. It retails at about Sh35 per litre and is heavily subsidised by the government. Everything is imported, even skilled manpower resulting in a ridiculous population of expatriates there. Indians, Chinese and European businessmen and consultants can be found there in their millions.

However, Angolans are also wealthy. Each family has an average of about three cars, and since parking is free in the town, getting a parking is thrice as hard as it is in Nairobi.

Most Angolans are dark skinned, although there is a sizable bi-racial population. Portuguese is the main language and very few Angolans speak English. An average night out could run into about $300 dollars plus dinner, and with beers at an average $10.

A decent not too expensive hotel will set you back by about $400-$600 per night. The food is not near as good as it is here in Kenya. The taste is not as rich, especially with the meats, but I guess that should change when the imports are reduced in future.

Whether poor or rich, Angolans are a trendy lot. Skinny jeans, Mohawks and high tops were an extremely common sight. Hopefully, one day soon the massive gap between the rich and the poor will be bridged. So that in one day you don’t see a muscular well-groomed man sporting a t-shirt with ‘poshboy’ written on it and only an hour later look at a man wearing a dirty white t-shirt and staring idly through the fence of a government building.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 13, 2011
Mr Knowall or whatever you call yourself, you are a typical Nigerian buffoon with no common sense and a loud mouth dripping self loathing idiocy.

You've come on here first claiming that Nigerian cities ''have no cranes'' up to show busy construction. You were then shown that in fact, there are more cranes up in Nigerian cities than in Angola. You then insulted our intelligence further  by dismissing the various Nigerian projects as ''elitist''. You then regale us with images of ''shopping malls'' under construction in  Angola, what many would consider ''elitist'' given the dire socio-economic indices prevalent in Angola. You then post more construction images from Luanda, most of which are Public Private Partnerships just as is the case with the numerous projects in Nigeria you blindly condemned. You then somehow contrive the Angolan examples to be ''better'' than whatever Nigeria is doing, using criteria that border on little more than simplistic self loathing and zero intellectual content.  You really need to get a life, get some self esteem, and quit being a nuisance.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2011
Mr Knowall or whatever you call yourself, you are a typical Nigerian buffoon with no common sense and a loud mouth dripping self loathing idiocy.

You've come on here first claiming that Nigerian cities ''have no cranes'' up to show busy construction. You were then shown that in fact, there are more cranes up in Nigerian cities than in Angola. You then insulted our intelligence by typing garbage about the Nigerian buildings being ''elitist''. You then regale us with images of ''shopping malls'' under construction in  Angola, what many would consider ''elitist'' given the socio-economic indices prevalent in Angola. Then post more construction images from Luanda, most of which are Public Private Partnerships just as is the case with the numerous projects in Nigeria you blindly condemned. You then somehow contrive the Angolan example to be ''better'' than whatever Nigeria is doing, using criteria that border on little more than simplistic self loathing and zero intellectual content

You can shout from the roof top if you like, Nigeria is one big slum, the so called motor-ways that cost billions of Naira are little better than class B narrow guage dual carriage roads in England they are not real Motor-ways. I have seen Motorways in my time, check out what they have in South AFRICA, THEY ARE NOT THAT CRAP BUILT all over Naija. 

The Contractors and our Government Officials having been fleecing us for 50 years yet people like u want the current crew of clueless Nigerians to continue their abracada and government magic unabated. If u are deliberately stupiiid to these blatant short-changing I am not. I did not go to school to become follow-follow, I have travel the world and I have seen first class infrastructure. Angola and I repeat Angola are threading the path of glory and I wish them the very best of luck. Even Military wise  they are ready to back Gbagbo to the hilt, Naija has already started getting cold-feet at that prospect.

Our President came to Ibadan to open a new dual carriage-way that was built from Orita Challenge to Apata,  the road was meant to be 12.5 miles only 3 miles was tarred with only one coat of tar and yet the silly President cut the tape. If that is not fleecing the people,  what else is fleecing the people. Look at the bloody melee between Gbenga Daniels, Daggash and Bankole over an un-completed road in otta bloody retards in Government.

Look at the Ikembe of Nnewi situation, can u imagine after 50 years of independence there is no hospital East of the Niger that can treat him, on getting to london the procedure was a routine,  the old man is hale hearty now, if this man was one of the numerous poor, middle or even stuupid upper class Nigerians who like u would rather die in their indolence and stuuupidity of patronising made Nigeria glorified clinics than seek life-saving alternative ,  God knows u would be six feet under b4 one can say jacky stone.  Nigerians and the Hospital that was suppose to be treating Ojukwu were already warming up for the death of this man on the 13th of January 2011.

Nigerian hospitals pride her self of clearing the wards of sick people as quickly as possible(by clearing the wards I mean a quick death is preferred than solving a complex medical condition) so that the beds in the wards would be free for the not so sick ones. Blooody glorified clinics who are only interested in putting bandages on minor cuts.

It is journey-men and praise singers like you that give idiooots In Power some confidence and that bravado of blatantly despoiling the whole population and getting away with it.

The Blogsphere would bring down any recalcitrant Government so that real men who want to alleviate the pain, misery and the prevailing poverty in the land can get to work. It has happened in Tunisia, Egypt now Nigeria.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Ibime(m): 11:59pm On Feb 13, 2011
I know Luandas story very well having been there and having my best mate from there, who's just relocated back home.

Apart from the fact Luanda has a smaller population than Naija, there is no evidence that they utilise their oil money any better. There is just more to go around.

Corruption levels are exactly the same as Naija and you have a small connected part of the population eating all the wealth. In addition, they have a racve problem where the light-skinned mulattos are seen as superior, and some night-clubs have an unofficial policy of rejecting black patrons except they are connected or recommended.

You also have the additional phenonenom of the "Luandese" discriminating against the Bakongo people, seeing them as less than human, despite the fact they make a sizeable percentage of the population and a lot of the diamonds and oil come from their lands.

The traffic is almost as bad as Lagos, Rents for a 1 bedroom apartment in the centre of town cost upward of $2000 pcm whilst the average Luandese lives on a dollar a day. Meals in restaurants can cost $150. And BTW, the upper classes trade in dollars. Wealth disparity is too high, corruption is rife etc. Basically, everything you'll find in Naija.

And lest I forget, every girl in Luanda is a prostitute. You can never meet a chick and phuck her on the basis that she likes you. There must be a cost involved. . .and an exhorbitant one. Just another sign of the moral corruption there.

Yes, building works are going on, but that's the end of the story as far as the common man is concerned.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 12:14am On Feb 14, 2011
I know Luandas story very well having been there and having my best mate from there, who's just relocated back home.

Apart from the fact Luanda has a smaller population than Naija, there is no evidence that they utilise their oil money any better. There is just more to go around.

Corruption levels are exactly the same as Naija and you have a small connected part of the population eating all the wealth. In addition, they have a racve problem where the light-skinned mulattos are seen as superior, and some night-clubs have an unofficial policy of rejecting black patrons except they are connected or recommended.

You also have the additional phenonenom of the "Luandese" discriminating against the Bakongo people, seeing them as less than human, despite the fact they make a sizeable percentage of the population and a lot of the diamonds and oil come from their lands.

The traffic is almost as bad as Lagos, Rents for a 1 bedroom apartment in the centre of town cost upward of $2000 pcm whilst the average Luandese lives on a dollar a day. Meals in restaurants can cost $150. And BTW, the upper classes trade in dollars. Wealth disparity is too high, corruption is rife etc. Basically, everything you'll find in Naija.

And lest I forget, every girl in Luanda is a love-peddler. You can never meet a chick and phuck her on the basis that she likes you. There must be a cost involved. . .and an exhorbitant one. Just another sign of the moral corruption there.

Yes, building works are going on, but that's the end of the story as far as the common man is concerned.

Luanda or Angola is a country that is just coming out of the vestiges of war, the poverty is understandable, but their govermrnet is putting down and implementing some policies that would alleviate the poverty to some extent. The 200, 000 hosing projects is not for the President and his ministers, it is for the populace. The inter City Trains that the Chinese are building for that country who is that for. The Shopping malls, not one or two malls, numerous mall scattered all over the city who are they going to employ.

They are not there yet, but by building a prosperous nation perhaps they can learn from Nigeria' s mistake, Nigeria is now a case study in Africa for crass and sabotageous corruption.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by shotster50(m): 12:27am On Feb 14, 2011
I am going off topic a little on this but I have always wondered why the so called tall biuldings in Nigeria are Never abover 15 - 20 floors an we call Skyscaper lmao Is it something to do with the the environment and what is our obsession with blocks??
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by OAM4J: 12:38am On Feb 14, 2011
@KnowAll

While I understand and share part of your sentiments about the level of corruption, short sightedness and wastages currently going on Nigeria, It will still take decades for Angola to match up with Nigeria in terms of development.

You are only talking about Luanda, not the entire country, but we have already built a city from oil wealth, Angola is yet to do anything close to that and I doubt the numerous projects going on in Luanda can match up with the on going projects in Lagos alone.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 12:49am On Feb 14, 2011
While I understand and share part of your sentiments about the level of corruption, short sightedness and wastages currently going on Nigeria, It will still take decades for Angola to match up with Nigeria in terms of development.

You are only talking about Luanda, not the entire country, but we have already built a city from oil wealth, Angola is yet to do anything close to that and I doubt the numerous projects going on in Luanda can match up with the on going projects in Lagos alone.

We are 43 years ahead of them, they only ended their war about 2003 or there about and since they got their independence in 1975 they have be involved in a devastating conflict obviously that rules out any kind of development.  At this point in time bearing in mind we don't have a functional railway and our electricity is still epileptic we are ahead of them,  just. If those clueless people in Aso Rock continue the way they did for the past 12 years then without mincing word they would overtake us- life & direct.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Nobody: 12:58am On Feb 14, 2011
Ibime said:

In addition, they have a race problem where the light-skinned mulattos are seen as superior, and some night-clubs have an unofficial policy of rejecting black patrons except they are connected or recommended.

Why haven't the blacks BURNT DOWN those establishments?

When will blacks say ENOUGH of this rubbish on the African continent too??

We need to stop these pale-skinned bastards from bringing their filthy, rotten ideologies to Africa.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by KnowAll(m): 1:09am On Feb 14, 2011
bime said:

In addition, they have a race problem where the light-skinned mulattos are seen as superior, and some night-clubs have an unofficial policy of rejecting black patrons except they are connected or recommended.

Why haven't the blacks BURNT DOWN those establishments?

When will blacks say ENOUGH of this rubbish on the African continent too??

We need to stop these pale-skinned bastards from bringing their filthy, rotten ideologies to Africa.

That is social problem noting to do with development. If the President of the nation who is black man cannot do something about it, then who do u blame. undecided embarassed
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 14, 2011
Sometimes you have to ignore the bloody president and do what is right. The president might not even be aware of the discrimination. Why can't a group of black guys there scheme to raze one of those places to the ground, and scrawl a visible sign nearby that screams 'NO DISCRIMINATION AGAINST BLACKS' as a lesson to other establishments?

If you cannot defend your humanity and dignity in your own ancestral homeland where you constitute the majority, what sort of human being are you??
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Horus(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2012

Luanda (Sky Residence I, Sky Residence II e Sky Business)

Luanda

Luanda

Luanda

Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Horus(m): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2012

Luanda

[img]http://farawayfarer.files./2010/10/imga0003.jpg[/img]
Luanda

Luanda

Luanda

Luanda

Luanda
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by SkyBlue1: 10:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
The only thing left is for south Sudan to start taking off (I really hope they do), meanwhile we will still be there fighting our petty racist wars. What a contraption. Good to see a sub saharan city making strides.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Rossikk(m): 3:55am On Oct 06, 2012
Ikengawo: Why is it everytime Nigerians see success in another african country the get insecure and decide such success doesn't exist in their country as well with no facts to back their dramatic embarrassing claims

construction in Nigeria for 2011 is predicted to be the fastest growing and most intense in the world. wtf is Luanda

smh, i feel that the least informed people in the world about Nigeria are Nigerians.

You're absolutely correct. Nigerians drown in such negativity that they cannot see the progress and opportunities all around them. Terrible.
Re: Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place by Horus(m): 2:26am On Sep 03, 2013

Luanda under-construction

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afrocentric Scholar Chinweizu Dishes Some Hard Truths About Nigeria And Africa / Breaking: APC Vice Chairman Resigns / Osinbajo To Unveil Igbo Museum Friday In Anambra.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.