Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,901 members, 7,872,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:37 AM

World's First Underground Hotel - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / World's First Underground Hotel (1408 Views)

Inside World’s First Airport For Flying Cars Unveiled In UK (Photos) / World’s First Underground Hotel To Open In Shanghai, China (Photos) / Inside The Underground Hotel In Africa That Took A Man 11 Years To Dig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:02am On Aug 10, 2020
The Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland
A.k.a Tianma Pit Hotel, or Shimao Quarry Hotel, or Pit Pegasus Hotel is a unique hotel that had started operations on November 20, 2018 in Songjiang, Shanghai, China, 50 kilometres (30 miles) from city center. The hotel has been built on the site of an abandoned quarry and, notably, features some rooms underwater.

Shimao Wonderland, 5188 Chen Hua Rd at Ding Yuan Rd, Songjiang District, Shanghai, Mainland China.

NO. OF FLOORS:
18 - Below Ground Level
2 - Underwater
2 - Above Ground Level

NO. OF ROOMS:

GROSS FLOOR AREA IN SQR.MTRS:

UNDERGROUND IN METRES:

OPENED:
November 20, 2018

COST:
3,400 Yuan Per Night
$599 Per Night
193,360 Naira Per Night

ATTRACTIONS:
The Quarry Pit, Chenshan Botanic Garden, Tianmashan Country Club, Shenshan Mountain, Tianmashan Mountain.

The InterContinental Hotels Group is behind the project as one of its flagship hotels in the country under the banner of Shimao Wonderland InterContinental. The design was shortlisted for an award at the World Architecture Festival in 2009.
According to Shanghaiist, the Shanghai Shimao Property Group has an investment of US$555 million in the project. It opened on November 20, 2018.

The concept and facade design firm for this project is JADE+QA, led by Martin Jochman, who designed the concept while working with ATKINS and in 2013 set up his own practice in Shanghai and continued working on this project directly for the developer Shimao with his own studio JADE+QA. The local architectural firm is ECADI (East China Architectural Design & Research Institute Co., Ltd.), which is responsible for design development, construction documents, structural design and MEP. The interior design firms are CCD (Cheng Chung Design) and AB Concept. The lighting design consultant is Illuminate Lighting Design.

The hotel is 18 stories, 16 of which are below ground level including two projected underwater floors; two of the floors are above the 88m deep quarry. The abandoned quarry is partially filled with water to create an artificial lake. The hotel is designed in an "S" shape utilizing a convex to concave form. The architects' vision is one of sequential hanging gardens that will produce the effect of a green hill extending down the face of the quarry. Both the quarry's rock face and the wings of the blocks of guest rooms are projected to surround an atrium within the hotel. The vertical atrium made of glass (above the hotel) is intended to symbolise an artificial "waterfall".

The Hotel includes facilities for extreme sports, a visitor centre and a five-star hotel with some underwater rooms. The hotel has 337 rooms as well as conference facility for up to 1,000 people, a grand ballroom and restaurants and cafes on the ground floor above the hotel. There are two underwater floors, the lower one of which will feature MEP installation and the upper one with guest rooms and a restaurant facing an aquarium with a depth of five metres.

Source: Wikipedia [But Modified By Me]

Lalasticlala, Mynd44,
What's your take on this and would you love to visit? cool cool

1 Like

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by vincenteger: 5:16am On Aug 10, 2020
No pictures?
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:30am On Aug 10, 2020
A picture speaks more than a thousand words.
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:34am On Aug 10, 2020
Aerial View

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Goldencheese(m): 5:36am On Aug 10, 2020
Seen it somewhere before but it is a very nice and beautiful concept.
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:39am On Aug 10, 2020
Rooms And Sitting Rooms

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:42am On Aug 10, 2020
Underwater Rooms And Sitting Room Close To The Aquarium

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:45am On Aug 10, 2020
Underwater Resturant With Aquarium

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:46am On Aug 10, 2020
Reception And Lobby

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:52am On Aug 10, 2020
Night View

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 5:54am On Aug 10, 2020
And Finally....

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by dawnomike(m): 6:15am On Aug 10, 2020
Beautiful and lovely...
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by illicit(m): 6:39am On Aug 10, 2020
I likey
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Petyprincess(f): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2020
Damn!! Money is good o kiss

While looking this picture i already pictured myself there sef grin

1 Like

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by 1Alex: 7:09am On Aug 10, 2020
If na for Naija, na skull mining go dey happen there.

1 Like

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by VEXT: 7:23am On Aug 10, 2020
I was there last two weeks...It was great!!!

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 7:41am On Aug 10, 2020
Petyprincess:
Damn!! Money is good o kiss

While looking this picture i already pictured myself there sef grin
As in ehn!...
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Jedalord: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2020
Goldencheese:
Seen it somewhere before but it is a very nice and beautiful concept.

It's not a concept,it does exist sir
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Goldencheese(m): 8:22am On Aug 10, 2020
Jedalord:

It's not a concept,it does exist sir

Concept doesn't mean just an idea or imagination. It could mean an impression or perception of sth. A product held physically in your hands or seen by your eyes can be a good concept or a bad concept or a poor concept. For example, one can say "This latest model of Lamborghini is a very modern concept in car making".

1 Like

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Jedalord: 8:32am On Aug 10, 2020
Goldencheese:

Concept doesn't mean just an idea or imagination. It could mean an impression or perception of sth. A product held physically in your hands or seen by your eyes can be a good concept or a bad concept or a poor concept. For example, one can say "This latest model of Lamborghini is a very modern concept in car making".

Thanks for the explanation sir I have learnt something new today.

1 Like

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Goldencheese(m): 8:45am On Aug 10, 2020
Jedalord:

Thanks for the explanation sir I have learnt something new today.

Thanks for your humility. We learn everyday. I learn everyday and I consider myself an eternal student of life. Everyone and everything is my teacher.

2 Likes

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 10, 2020
StephenBB:
Aerial View

Cool thread @ OP.
Can we call this underground or underwater or both? Can we also call it the first underground hotel?
Then looking at the aerial view, it doesn't look fully immersed in water, rather partially immersed, Burj Al Arab has underwater spaces too.
It looks more like basement hotel than underground. It's neither fully underground nor fully under water.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World's First Underground Hotel by StephenBB(m): 10:10am On Aug 10, 2020
light099:

Cool thread @ OP.
Can we call this underground or underwater or both? Can we also call it the first underground hotel?
Then looking at the aerial view, it doesn't look fully immersed in water, rather partially immersed, Burj Al Arab has underwater spaces too.
It looks more like basement hotel than underground. It's neither fully underground nor fully under water.
Guy, your first two questions made me sit down on the floor.
You really made sense there. I'm even confused on what to call it now.
Re: World's First Underground Hotel by MERCHANDISER: 2:20pm On Aug 10, 2020
Nice scenery

(1) (Reply)

My Experience At La Campagne Tropicana Resort / Travelling Out With A Psychology/social Science Degree In Nigeria / How Much Is Ok To Relocate To Canada For My Brother Who Graduated From Nekede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.