Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,614 members, 7,888,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:20 PM

Hausa Language Tops Articles Content On Wikipedia Writing Contest - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Hausa Language Tops Articles Content On Wikipedia Writing Contest (192 Views)

Wikipedia’s Most Popular Articles Of 2023 / Get On Wikipedia And Get Going! / 10 Social Media Sites You Can Promote Your Blog Content On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Language Tops Articles Content On Wikipedia Writing Contest by Positivepoint(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation has said that the Hausa language topped the list of articles created by language category on Wikipedia women writing contest.

Mr Olushola Olaniyan, Chairman, the board of trustees of Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation disclosed this to newsmen on Monday in Lagos.

Olaniyan said that 179 contents were written in the Hausa language, followed by English with 136.

Olaniyan said that Indonesia contents were 122, Yoruba 70, Igbo 30, Bangali 22, French 22, Malayalam five and Deutch two.

He said that the writing contest took place between April 29 and May 27.

“As of today, Wikipedia, the world’s most visited online encyclopaedia is written in over 300 languages and has over six million articles on English Wikipedia.

“Wikipedia has represented an imbalance in the number of women to men contents since the inception of the platform in 2001.

“Statistics shows that only two out of every 10 articles on English Wikipedia are about women, hence the need for a drive to change this narrative,’’ he said.

Olaniyan said that the story of Nigerian women’s digital coverage was quite similar to the pattern obtained from global statistics with over two thousand biographies covered.

“The wikiGap Nigeria online contest was deployed to achieve three cardinal objectives which include identification of training needs of Nigerian women and the deployment of a capacity development programme with a focus on digital content creation.’’

Another objective is the identification and fixing of various issues on existing biographies about women on Wikipedia.

Identification of remarkable women from Nigeria without a Wikipedia biography and profiling their content on Wikipedia is the third objective.

Olaniyan said that the highlights of the project include over 30 local and international Wikipedia editors contributed to the project.

He said that over 150 Nigerian women biographies created could be accessed in English, French, Deutsch, Bangali, Indonesia, Malayalam, Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo languages.

The board chairman said that WikiGap was an initiative taken to close the gender gap and other diversity gaps on Wikipedia.

He said that the initiative was made possible with the cooperation between the Embassy of Sweden in Nigeria, African Women in the Media (AWIM) and Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation Incorporation.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2020/08/10/hausa-language-tops-articles-content-on-wikipedia-writing-contest/
Re: Hausa Language Tops Articles Content On Wikipedia Writing Contest by mamaafrik(m): 11:36am On Aug 12, 2020
Yorubas,i challenge you to take the pain and invade that platform with Yoruba writings,it is not hard,just take an article and translate into mother tongue Yoruba language
i will post my findings very soon

I have done Little homework on the above,
Kindly go through this link below,take an already written article in English and translate it into Yoruba language.
That is why we lead and people envy us,we can do this as we have the vibe to,from Newspaper articles to books,to Journal, science books magzine,spiritual books,Biographies.
[b] juat like Prof soyinka translated "Ogboju ode Ninu igbo irunmole" to " Forest of a Thousand Demon"
Check the content please Yorubas are enjoined to do this for posterity sake,this is us.
I need just 60 people or more who will join hand with me ,you can seek help if need a topic to translate or if you have topics to be translated.
Please signify if you are in by qouting me.
The link below is for more info.
Gbogbo omo kootuojire ni mo ro lati dasi oro idagbasoke ede and ise Yoruba lori ikanni yi
Yoruba a gbe waooooo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Your_first_article

(1) (Reply)

Limmer Blogger Premium Version Template / Help:- Barn2 Woocommerce Default Quantity Plugin Free / Who Sell Residential Static Ip Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.