Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,731 members, 7,875,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:49 PM

Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos (4708 Views)

I Was Denied Visa At French Embassy For This Reason.... / South Africa Shuts Lagos Consulate / Panic At Lagos US Consulate Over Suspicious Object (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Saruman: 7:32pm On Feb 14, 2011
I am in the mood for Valentine today and want to share some tips warnings for intending student visa applicants at the US Consulate in Lagos.
Don't quote me, don't argue on my thread and if you want, believe me or rather comment before you read and ignore the important issues here.
To see a true reflection of any organization, check out the HEAD. The Head of visa section at the US Consulate in Lagos is an interesting dude and don't be suprised that the way some of the junior consular and foreign service officers handle student visa applications is a reflection of his ideology.
1. The CO was not a US -born American. He went to the US on student visa as well. He is from the Carribeans (don't ask me which country pls). You will think this will give him and his minions objectivity in handling student visa applications? Hell no, he was once quoted during a post 9/11 commission of enquiry as saying that student visa applicants are of special interests to him and hence he tries as much to take part in their interview. In Lagos, you are at the mercy of the low-cadre Foreign Service staffs.
2. He is "purportedly" being careful about the level of influence and the visa process simply because Nigeria is reported to have Al-Qaida presence and he was the Consular Head at the US Consulate in Jeddah between 1998 to 2000. This was the period that the visas for the 9/11 perpetrators were issued. You get the drift.
3. They hoard visa appointment dates at the Consulate (don't ask me, ask VFS). They promised on their homepage that they will expedite your appointment, don't believe it. Apply early. Simple.
4. Avoid the JERK. There is this "Indian" Consular Officer that reminds me of trigger-happy mobile policemen here.This dude kinda gets off on visa refusals, PLEASE, if you are first time student visa applicant, AVOID HIM. If you are re-applying, AVOID HIM. If you are renewing, AVOID HIM. This is simply because he is not realistic, he won't listen to you, won't allow you to answer his questions, won't give you a second chance and won't apply the section 101(a)15(f) of the INA to your visa adjudication. You have been WARNED oh.
5. If the consular says NO, don't just sulk or scurry away like a scared rat, because they expect you to do so. In fact, the present Head I refered to earlier was once quoted as saying; TCNs (Third Country Nationals - which unfortunately Nigeria will be classified, no thanks to the morons ruling us) are easy to dispose of. Nigerians won't ask questions, won't face up to the Consular and ask him if he truly has done a good job of the interview or s/he is just in a mood for refusal. Speak up for yourself students, if these guys interviewing you have been denied the visa when they wanted to go to US too, they won't be there now on the other side of the screen.
6. Lastly, in the spirit of Valentine. DO NOT INFLUENCE. In Nigeria, we believe anything can happen and that every Consular can be influenced but the man at the helm of the affairs right now bristles to that assumption. He once bragged that he "closed the door of his visa section" to his Ambassador (Fowler in Saudi Arabia) because that one asked that a visa be issued to a servant of a Saudi. If he catches you trying to leverage, he might blacklist you, so keep whoever you know close to your chest and play the card Nigerian way.
7. I forgot. Sorry. Ok, here it is; the source of this warning is CLASSIFIED. Don't ask, Don't tell.
Peace. I am off to the partyyyy.
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by MaJBlige(f): 7:36pm On Feb 14, 2011
One simple question:

How do you avoid all those people you have mentioned?

When they say next, you will simply say, hol on sir - i am not ready?

1 Like

Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Saruman: 7:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
Figure it out for yourself (does that sound like a novel by Hardly Chase?).
Of course. Tell the consular that you will rather be interviewed by another person because you are not comfortable by the way s/he has been handling applicants applying for the same class of visa you are seeking to obtain. Question his/her objectivity. Don't let the CAT get your TONGUE. Its either you take the risk or avoid the risk grin
Please, don't spoil my Val party jare! cool
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by anfanio: 12:23am On Feb 15, 2011
You have a 50/50 chance going in to the embassy, avoiding so many officers will not improve your chances, it will make it worse.
Nairalanders go there prepared to answer the questions to the best of your ability with the right supporting documents. Good luck.
After waiting for God knows how long, from application to interview date, you say what!

Once again,

One simple question:

How do you avoid all those people you have mentioned?

When they say next, you will simply say, hol on sir - i am not ready?
- (Ma J Blige)
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Saruman: 12:12pm On Feb 15, 2011
@anfanio:
1. This is an advisory and not a MUST-DO.
2. The statement reads that the visa applicant should avoid the "Indian" CO and not all COs. If you want to go try him out, best of LUCK. Like I stated, this is an advisory.
3. Its the student that needs the visa, not me. So, good luck with the risk-taking.
Adios!
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Gbenge77(m): 11:58am On Feb 16, 2011
@Saruman, i learnt you will have to click on the 'how do i apply for a non-immigrant visa' link to schedule an appointment for a B2 tourist visa with the embassy.when i did ,i couldnt find any interview date up until 2012?could this be attributed to the hoarding you talked about?let me have your thoughts,pls
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Saruman: 7:07pm On Feb 18, 2011
@Gbenge77
This advisory is for student visa (F1) applicants and not B2, so I am not at liberty to comment on the interview logistics.
I don't think interview dates will be unavailable until 2012. The US Consulate is making new changes to the appointment scheduling system (rightly so too, its about time).
Guy, hoarding takes place oh and its between the dubious VFS proxies and maybe some VFS cum Consulate staffs with duplicity.
Its an outsourcing headache and the customers are at the receiving end.
I am aware that students are expected to send emails to the US Consulate to request for emergency appointment in case of appointment slot availability but lately, the Consulate has been singing discordant tunes by replying students: "dates are full".
Unfortunately, in Nigeria, it does not pay to follow due process because the smart alecs and corrupt dudes are made to look wise while the orderly and righteous are made to look foolish. So, I know many students that got this reply and went through the back door to secure appointments for the next day with full options. They are in the US now.
Best of luck in your appointment hunt.
TGIF!!!
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by suxes2005(m): 9:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Saruman, nice post and I support all you've said
about that crazy guy, he's a mad man i swear.

==Dnt ask me why==

So wats the back side to getting the appmnt date?

SHALOM
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Gbenge77(m): 9:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
thanks Saruman,i will wait until march 1st when the new appointment scheduling system will be availableI hope the process will be less cumbersome,thereafter, Also,the vfs website will be closed on that day.i hope i can still get a date this year.
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by Gbenge77(m): 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
i am also amazed to learn that some folks secured their appointments through the back door.you would think those guys were incorruptible.
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by suxes2005(m): 11:37pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^^^^

sure they are now, us has the highest security
yet they are easy to hack into

SHALOM
Re: Important Warning: Need To Know Before You Apply For Visa At US Consulate, Lagos by bebo1: 9:17pm On Feb 20, 2011
Hey guyz,
I need different thoughts on this,here is my story, i applied for the u.s embassy and i was refused,why?i already have a NATIONAL DIPLOMA and i'm going to the college for an ASSOCIATE DEGREE.So i was asked by the consular why i wana study ASSOCIATE DEGREE when i already have a NATIONAL DIPLOMA,i said its just my personal choice and i wana add to my degrees.So i was refused,what answer do you think i can give if they ask me the same question when i go for interview again?the consular is also aware i work.Pls drop your thoughts.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Brandon Manitoba (Canada) / South African Girl Caught With 1.5kg Of Cocaine In Her Dreadlocks In Thailand / Goshen Voyage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.