Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,584 members, 7,929,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 05:15 AM

Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths (162 Views)

#ENDSARS: It’s Your Right To Protest, Buhari Tells Youths / Nepotism Is Corruption, Obasanjo Tells Presidency / Wait For God To Decide Next Ogun Governor, - Obasanjo Tells Amosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by damilola4162(m): 11:06am On Aug 13, 2020
Former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has urged Afican youths to take the lead in leadership position by 'squeezing older generation out of office.'

President Obasanjo made this disclosure while delivering a keynote address at an interactive session held virtually to mark this year’s International Youth Day, on Wednesday, August 12, 2020.

The programme was organised by the Youth Development Centre, an arm of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Oke – Mosan, Abeokuta.

Participants of the meeting were drawn from Nigeria, Mali, USA, Ghana, Kenya and South Africa.

Speaking at the invent, Obasanjo, tentatively asked African youths to demand that affirmative action is encapsulated in the constitution of political parties, as part of tactics to evict old generation of leaders.

Obsanjo noted that the old generation will continue to occupy the leadership positions until they were evicted from the stage. 

He also told the youths that they could influence the change by participating actively in political parties, saying it would be easier to influence changes at the party level rather than governmental level.

“Unless you squeeze out those who are in office and those who want to remain in office perpetually, some after the age of 80.

“Unless you squeeze them out, they will not want to be out,” he said.

“The type of change I am talking about, that I believe we can all embark upon is to subscribe into the constitution of political parties in favour of youth.

“Or if you like it, you call it affirmative action in favour of youths.

“For instance, if you say, in the constitution of a political party, not less than 50 percent of those who hold executive office within the party will be less than 40 years of age.

“You’re just making sure that people that are 40 years of age will hold 50 percent of executive office within the political party.

“You can even go beyond that and say that people who will be put up for election, not less than 50 percent of them, will be less than 40 years of age.

“That’s affirmative action.

“That’s positive discrimination in favour of youths.

“I am saying this because if you leave it entirely for people to do it for you, nobody will do it for you.

“You have to do it for yourself.”

source: https://insidenaija.com.ng/squeeze-old-generations-out-of-power-obasanjo-tells-youths/

Re: Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by espn(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2020
And you supported Atiku... Sowore and the younger ones were there...you didnt support. Selfish man...

1 Like

Re: Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by Karemarealty288(m): 11:27am On Aug 13, 2020
The youth are busy with BBN.

Re: Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by spy24(m): 11:41am On Aug 13, 2020
espn:
And you supported Atiku... Sowore and the younger ones were there...you didnt support. Selfish man...
Oga take the message and leave the messenger alone
The man is saying the truth

If Nigerians continue to behave the way we are doing we will suffer long
Re: Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by espn(m): 11:49am On Aug 13, 2020
spy24:

Oga take the message and leave the messenger alone
The man is saying the truth

If Nigerians continue to behave the way we are doing we will suffer long

Oga you are entitled to your opinion and I am also entitled to mine. He is saying rubbish...Let him practice what he is preaching. Tell your child not to take alcohol while you consume crates of beer everyday. Always lead by example.
Re: Squeeze Old Generations Out Of Power, Obasanjo Tells Youths by spy24(m): 11:52am On Aug 13, 2020
espn:
Oga you are entitled to your opinion and I am also entitled to mine. He is saying rubbish...Let him practice what he is preaching. Tell your child not to take alcohol while you consume crates of beer everyday. Always lead by example.

You are not a child

If you do wrong because someone else did that wrong .you cannot be forgiven as an adult

(1) (Reply)

“APC Chose A More Democratic Process In Last Presidential Election” – Oshiomole / *#523959499 / Jigawa NUJ, TV Mourn Ex-nan MD, Board Chairman, Wada Maida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.