Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,891 members, 7,980,126 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 06:16 AM

"Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" (2444 Views)

Falz Is 32, Moment Falz The Bahdguy In Tears As His Mum Pray For Him On His Birt / Falz Is Trending Over #SexForGrades Documentary And Here Is The Reason / Falz Is Trending Over The Rape Of A Woman By Two Men In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by iamgafar(m): 2:25am On Aug 15, 2020
It is public secret that our popular and beloved “Bahd Guy” Mr. Folarin Falana is “Barrister Lawyer.”

Falz as he is popularly known as; is son to Femi and Funmi Falana renowned lawyers and human rights activists.
He is an alumnus of the University of Reading England, having graduated with an LLB honors degree in Law and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 2012 after graduating from the Nigerian Law School in Abuja. Contrary to the expectations of more than a few, Falz refused to follow in the family business instead he delved into the Nigerian music industry where he has now made a name for himself.

This article stems from an experience I had some few weeks back. I had an interview in the legal department of a government parastatal. My interviewer, a senior colleague pointed my attention to a part of my resume that said I also do Event Planning. He noted that, that was a worrisome factor seeing as the Rules of Professional Conduct for Lawyers (RPC) prohibits same and as a result he was not sure if I’m still qualified to be a Lawyer.
I was shocked. I was not ignorant of the said position but this was actually the first time I was hearing about an actual application of it. Out of sheer amazement and curiosity, I stuttered – “What about Falz?”

Before I get to his response, the encounter brought to fore, the need to carefully analyze the said provision and possible ramifications.

Section 7 of the Rules of Professional Conduct for Lawyers 2007 (RPC) states:
“Engagement in Business -
1) Unless permitted by the General Council of the Bar (hereinafter referred to as the “Bar Council”), a Lawyer shall not practice as a legal practitioner at the same time as he practices any other profession.
(2) A Lawyer shall not practice as a legal practitioner while personally engaged in,
(a) The business of buying and selling commodities;
(b) The business of a commission agent;
(c) Such other trade or business which the Bar Council may from time to time declare to be incompatible with practice as a Lawyer or as tending to undermine the high standing of the profession.
(3) For the purpose of the rule, “trade or business” include all forms or participation in any trade or business, but does not include-
(a) Membership of the Board of Directors of a company which does not involve either executive, administrative or clerical functions;
(b) Being Secretary of a company; or
(c) Being a shareholder in a company.”

Upon careful examination of this section there arises the need for distinct clarification of the following terms –

What is the General Bar Council?

What is the definition of a profession?

What trades or businesses have been declared incompatible with practice as a Lawyer by the General Bar Council?

The General Council of Bar, referred to as “Bar Council” is established by Section 1(2) of the Legal Practitioners Act (LPA) 1994.
It has the power to make rules of account to be kept by legal practitioners as provided for by Section 20(1)(a) to (d) of the LPA. It has the power to make and revise rules of professional conduct - Section 12(4) of the LPA as amended by Decree 21 of 1994. The current Rules of Professional Conduct were made by the Council under these provisions.

The composition of the General Council of the Bar includes:
1. The Attorney General of the Federation (President).
2. The States Attorney General and
3. 20 Members of the NBA and not less than 7 of them shall be legal practitioners of not less than 10 years post call.

The Cambridge dictionary defines a profession as – “Any type of work that needs special training or a particular skill, often one that is respected because it involves a high level of education and most often certification. Examples include: Law, Medicine, Nursing, Accounting etc.”
If the definition here is anything to go by, music does not qualify as a profession, event planning and management is definitely not a profession.

The General Bar Council has been relatively docile from inception till date. Very little is known about the activities of the council. Thus it is difficult to authoritatively assert what trades or businesses have been declared incompatible with practice as a Lawyer by the General Bar Council or Lawyers that have received permission from the Bar Council to practice Law as well as other professions.

From a careful and detailed perusal of Section 7 of the Rules of Professional Conduct, it is clear that Lawyers cannot personally engage in the business of buying and selling commodities or the business of a commission agent (whatever “business of commission agent” means exactly).
Lawyers also cannot practice Law alongside another “profession” except with approval from the Bar Council.

It is necessary to state that music, acting, politics and the likes, do not fall under the definition of profession and as a result unless any or all of these have been declared incompatible with practice as a Lawyer or as tending to undermine the high standing of the profession by the Bar Council then Lawyers can engage in such and still practice as Legal Practitioners.

To help clear the uncertainty, the Honorable Attorney General, Abubakar Malami SAN who is currently President of the Bar Council and his members should provide for the general public a list of trade or businesses which the Bar Council has declared to be incompatible with practice as a Lawyer or as tending to undermine the high standing of the profession.
If it’s not too much of a bother they should also oblige us with a list of Lawyers who have received permission to practice as Lawyers alongside other professions.

Until such a time when such is done, I dare to opine that Falz is a Lawyer and free to appear as one whenever he chooses.

And yes, my interviewer thought that the question was tricky one that he’d rather not answer.

1 Like

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by anthonyuncle(m): 3:03am On Aug 15, 2020
that ur interviewer self

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by happybee: 4:10am On Aug 15, 2020
Next...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by Cigo1(m): 4:34am On Aug 15, 2020
Lol.
First you came with a catchy header to lure us in. Then you beat around the bush for a few minutes, only to contradict what you had said earlier. Well, this is none of my problem. What I find hard to believe, is that a lawyer would be so pressed as to come on here and chase online clout.

7 Likes

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by Emilokoiyawon: 4:49am On Aug 15, 2020
BOTH YOU AND THE INTERVIEWER ARE MAD...STOP WASTING OUR TIME AND GO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT.

7 Likes

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by WandaMaximoff: 5:08am On Aug 15, 2020
They should tell that to my lawyer friends who are make up artists, boutique owners or vendors on Instagram.

Instead of them to come up with a better pay structure for young lawyers, na yeye laws then dey quote.

If you know the yeye money young lawyers are paid in these chambers, you'll understand why many are selling bowls of soup on IG.

12 Likes

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by helinues: 5:22am On Aug 15, 2020
grin grin

Funny op

In M.I ,take Falz to court as you need no Lawyer..
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by NaMe4: 5:34am On Aug 15, 2020
In a Country where over half of the lawyers are jobless and most of the few that have 'jobs' are more of office assistants placed below minimum wage.

Them still dey quote senseless law.

1 Like

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by timibare(m): 5:49am On Aug 15, 2020
Is he not RICHER than most LAWYERS at is AGE.....forkshit

2 Likes

Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by Houseofglam7(f): 6:18am On Aug 15, 2020
Nonsense undecided
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by punisha: 6:24am On Aug 15, 2020
Houseofglam7:
Nonsense undecided

Nonsense squared
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by ieemmanuel(m): 6:43am On Aug 15, 2020
This is why I don't like Nigerians,
Op you said many things but did not say anything.
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by kambili999(f): 6:51am On Aug 15, 2020
this is for those of us who got confused while reading along the line undecided
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by IjebuWarrior: 7:14am On Aug 15, 2020
OP, you're not OK, I swear. angry
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by Houseofglam7(f): 7:20am On Aug 15, 2020
punisha:

Nonsense squared

cheesy
Re: "Falz Is Not A Lawyer!" by Vyzz: 8:14am On Aug 15, 2020
grin

(1) (Reply)

Rema Falls For Nengi As She Joins #bouncechallenge (watch) / Slay Queen Who Had Liposuction & Now In Pain Advices Girls To Love Themselves Ho / Bbnaija’s Angel Shares Her Chat With Adekunle Gold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.