Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,965 members, 7,927,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 02:18 AM

Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence (930 Views)

A16 Pcms Raining Curses On NYSC (funny Tweets) / B15 Corps Members Verify Your Details On Nysc Website + Treatment of Complaints / Please I Need Your Advice On NYSC Redeployment/relocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence by Kilode1: 7:36pm On Feb 15, 2011
Minister takes on youth corps boss at budget defence
By Ini Ekott

February 15, 2011 07:23AM

Federal budget defence sessions, which usually have lawmakers pitched against ministers, yesterday saw the Minister of Youth and Social Development Akinlabi Olasunkanmi refusing to answer questions on the National Youth Service Corps before the House committee related to his ministry.

Mr. Olasunkanmi said that the director-general of the Corps, Maharazu Tsiga, had refused to brief him on details of the NYSC budget ahead of the defence. Lawmakers said they had the NYSC’s budget but Mr. Olasunkanmi said he did not have a copy. He also informed Mr. Tsiga that he had no authority to demand for a raise in the budget proposal for the scheme, telling him that passing such a request to the lawmakers went beyond his office.

“The federal government in their wisdom gave us an envelope, so it is not within the ministry to come and tell the National Assembly that what the executive proposed is not enough,” Mr. Olasunkanmi said, reacting to the director-general’s response that funds allocated for the NYSC for 2011, would not be sufficient.

“It is outside his purview to request for more, and he has not requested for more. We will work within the envelope that is given by the executive,” he said.

Mr. Tsiga disputed the position of the minister at a session where lawmakers, accustomed to toeing the hard line in the open against ministers, described Mr. Olasunkanmi’s actions as “embarrassing”.

Mr. Tsiga insisted that he had made the submissions to the minister as was required, saying the proposals were dispatched early enough to have reached him.

“I did not refuse to send my budget, I have my documented evidence here. If anything, he would have called me into his office or when I visited him there, he should have told me whatever that was wrong. If there is anything I do to you Mr. Minister, in front of all these gentlemen please just forgive me but not to be attacking my personality,” he said.

After Mr. Tsiga’s explanation, the minister asked the lawmakers for an extension of the defence timetable, citing his participation on President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign team as the reason why he was unprepared. Members of the House turned down the request, questioning the minister’s abandoning of an official responsibility in favour of political campaign.

“This is middle of February; the nation cannot wait for you. We have a timeline for the budget defence which is ending today. This excuse is not strong enough for your ministry to go back and then come again. We are going to take everything about your ministry and the parastatals today,” said Ralph Okeke, a member of the committee on Youth and Social Development.

Later, at an interview Mr. Olasunkanmi said that what happened was just a “family affair”.
Re: Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence by Kilode1: 7:42pm On Feb 15, 2011
After Mr. Tsiga’s explanation, the minister asked the lawmakers for an extension of the defence timetable, citing his participation on President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign team as the reason why he was unprepared. Members of the House turned down the request, questioning the minister’s abandoning of an official responsibility in favour of political campaign.

Nna men! This guy needs a dirty slap!!

I think we should make a law that will allow one public representative in the House of assembly, just for one purpose only; To angrily slap silly public officials when they misyarn
Re: Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence by Kilode1: 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2011
Later, at an interview Mr. Olasunkanmi said that what happened was just a “family affair”.

Kai! SMH sad
Re: Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence by maga1: 10:45pm On Feb 15, 2011
i just think they dont agree on the sharing formula. when they finally agree you wont hear any of this in the news. useless govt officials angry angry angry angry
Re: Minister Takes On NYSC Boss At Budget Defence by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 16, 2011
Kilode?!:

Nna men! This guy needs a dirty slap!!

I think we should make a law that will allow one public representative in the House of assembly, just for one purpose only; To angrily slap silly public officials when they misyarn

PMSL grin Even though the National Assembly consumes too much to an extent they are responsible to duty

(1) (Reply)

Is Pregnancy Allowed For NYSC ??? / NYSC Member Docked For Alleged Rape Of 15-year-old In Ede / The Essence Of Youth Service To Our Father Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.