Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,622 members, 7,888,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:50 PM

Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma (288 Views)

Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) / Land For Sale At Apostle Landlord Villa Awka Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 8:07am On Aug 16, 2020
Hello,
A friend called me now that a Neigbour needed to build a flat and saw an empty land belonging to him,my friend.
He brought a developer to my friend and requested to build a 3bedroom flat on friend's land.
The developer said that a yearly rent will be calculated and this will determine the number of years the neighbour will use the flat built for without any pay given my friend till the year the cost of building on the land completes and the flat will automaticaaly become my friend's property.
He said it could take 8,10 or 12years for the flat to become my friend's.
Does this mean friend will not be able to have access to his property for that long years?
Is this the proper step to be taken?
Are there other charges,agreement or commission or any fee to be paid to my friend that the developer is not telling him because I dont believe one can just take over someone's property for so long years without a dime paid to him.
It's an urgent occurrence, so I told my friend to hold for me to ask lawyers,developers,landlords,others with same experience on nairaland.
Thanks for your advice and contribution.
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Skyfornia(m): 8:21am On Aug 16, 2020
That's how it's done...but depending on your friend's bargaining power, the size of the land and the financial capacity of the developer.

Your friend could ask for an apartment to be built for him too, and he could either stay in that apartment for free or rent it out himself.

In clearer terms...if the developer is going to build 10 units of a room self contain apartments, your friend/the land owner could be given 1 or 2 units so he can also make a living/profits from the apartments pending when the lease will be over.
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Canada2021: 8:23am On Aug 16, 2020
teebozz:
Hello,
A friend called me now that a Neigbour needed to build a flat and saw an empty land belonging to him,my friend.
He brought a developer to my friend and requested to build a 3bedroom flat on friend's land.
The developer said that a yearly rent will be calculated and this will determine the number of years the neighbour will use the flat built for without any pay given my friend till the year the cost of building on the land completes and the flat will automaticaaly become my friend's property.
He said it could take 8,10 or 12years for the flat to become my friend's.
Does this mean friend will not be able to have access to his property for that long years?
Is this the proper step to be taken?
Are there other charges,agreement or commission or any fee to be paid to my friend that the developer is not telling him because I dont believe one can just take over someone's property for so long years without a dime paid to him.
It's an urgent occurrence, so I told my friend to hold for me to ask lawyers,developers,landlords,others with same experience on nairaland.
Thanks for your advice and contribution.
please chat me on 08124890654.I am a lawyer vast in property transactions
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 9:33am On Aug 16, 2020
Skyfornia:
That's how it's done...but depending on your friend's bargaining power, the size of the land and the financial capacity of the developer.

Your friend could ask for an apartment to be built for him too, and he could either stay in that apartment for free or rent it out himself.

In clearer terms...if the developer is going to build 10 units of a room self contain apartments, your friend/the land owner could be given 1 or 2 units so he can also make a living/profits from the apartments pending when the lease will be over.

Thanks alot bro.
But the developer is building only a 3bedroom flat,no other rooms or flats in which a unit or two could have been given my friend.
Is there any monetary provisions to give him to cover for this?
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 9:34am On Aug 16, 2020
Canada2021:
please chat me on 08124890654.I am a lawyer vast in property transactions
Thanks bro.
Il give him ur number to chat you,better still I will too
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Canada2021: 9:41am On Aug 16, 2020
teebozz:

Thanks bro.
okay bro
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Skyfornia(m): 9:56am On Aug 16, 2020
teebozz:

Thanks alot bro.
But the developer is building only a 3bedroom flat,no other rooms or flats in which a unit or two could have been given my friend.
Is there any monetary provisions to give him to cover for this?

I'm sorry there's not...maybe your friend should bargain for a shop/store to be attached. He could also rent the shop out and be making small small money until the lease is over. Please every agreement should be clearly documented and signed in the presence of lawyers.
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2020
Skyfornia:

I'm sorry there's not...maybe your friend should bargain for a shop/store to be attached. He could also rent the shop out and be making small small money until the lease is over. Please every agreement should be clearly documented and signed in the presence of lawyers.
Ok,no problem.
Alright bro
Thanks.
I appreciate all.
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2020
teebozz:

Thanks bro.
I appreciate all the info.
God bless.
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Skyfornia(m): 11:39am On Aug 16, 2020
teebozz:

Ok,no problem.
Alright bro
Thanks.
I appreciate all.

Also bear in mind the standard or quality of the house...cause some buildings will be dilapidated after 10years due to poor quality..so ensure he uses the best materials to avoid your friend going into costly/outrageous renovations after the lease.

1 Like

Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by Godson213: 12:27pm On Aug 16, 2020
Skyfornia:

Also bear in mind the standard or quality of the house...cause some buildings will be dilapidated after 10years due to poor quality..so ensure he uses the best materials to avoid your friend going into costly/outrageous renovations after the lease.

Exactly what I wanted to say or you advice your friend to build his house slowly. Buy cement and keep. Buy sand and keep. Do it small small
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 1:10pm On Aug 16, 2020
Skyfornia:

Noted.
Thanks
Re: Help Now!!! Landlord/developer Dilemma by teebozz: 1:11pm On Aug 16, 2020
Godson213:

Exactly what I wanted to say or you advice your friend to build his house slowly. Buy cement and keep. Buy sand and keep. Do it small small
Good Advice.
He will work on that along.

(1) (Reply)

Fenced Round Building sale, Calabar / Find Out Where People Are Going, Buy Land Before They Get There. / Distress Sale Of A 20 Room Hostel In FUTO, Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.