Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:37 PM

I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! (2991 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Marriage List ---:o :o / A Typical Traditional Marriage List In Igboland (expo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by missgstar2: 10:55am On Feb 17, 2011
Hi

My father has just given the marriage list to my husband-to-be's parents in Nigeria.

I'm in the UK, and don't have a good idea about how things cost.

Can anyone give me some ideas on the list below? I just want a rough estimate on cost.

Thanks!

1). NMAYI NKUTU AKA: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

2). NMAYI IHE AVURU: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

3). NMAYI MKPARI UBUBO: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS/BRANDY/WHISKY

4). NMAYI AJUJU NKE NNA NKE NNE:
A). SIX (6) BOTTLES OF ASSORTD HOT DRINKS (THIS INCLUDES 1-3 ABOVE)
B). TWO (2) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
C). AKA NA UTAKU (ONE HAND AND A LEG OF MEAT) – (SHORT FALL MEN N 3K / SHORT FALL WOMEN N3K)
D). 4 X N5 NOTES
E). NATIVE KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS AND BITTER KOLA
F). ONE CREATE OF MINERAL

5). U ONU AKU: (BARGAIN OF DOWRY – ONE BOTTLE OF WHISKY)

6). IWU OKWU MMIRI (REACHING ACCORD / SETTLEMENT) – ONE BIG BOTTLE OF WHISKY/BRANDY (THREE IN ONE).

7). BU NMAYI NWANYI:
A). NKOI AKPA N3K (NGWA ATO)
B). AJU ISII N1,500.00
C). NKPO ISII
D). OKWA ISII
E). THIRTY SIX (36) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
F). N120.00 (FOR THOSE TO CARRY THE PALM WINE)
G). EKOT INEM KE-MEN N3K
H). EKOT INEM KE-WOMEN N3K
I). A BIG BOTTLE OF GROUND SNUFF
J). ONE ROLL OF CIGARETTES (BENSON & HEDGES / ST. MORRIS)
K). TWO (2) BIG PACKETS OF MATCHES (TEN IN ONE)
L). IKPEGHE OGBITI / ULO NTA N200.00
M). IKPEGHE ONU-NKPU N2,000.00
N). KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS, BITTER KOLA (IN LARGE QUANTITY)
O). TRANSPORT TO BRING OUT THE BRIDE – WOMEN N5,000.00

cool. NMAYI NGANGA (APPRECIATION)
A). TEN (10) CARTONS OF ASSORTED BEER, INCLUDING TWO (2) CRATES OF SMALL STOUT
B). TEN (10) CRATES OF ASSORTED MINERALS INCLUDING AT LEAST THREE (3) CRATES OF MALTINA

9). FATHER’S LIST
A). ISI AGU / INYINYA MATERIALS FOR CHIEFTAINCY DRESS
B). SIX (6) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). HAT
D). A PAIR OF CUT SHOES
E). GENTS UMBRELLA
F). WALKING STICK
G). GENTS WRIST WATCH
H). HANDKERCHIEFS
I). TOWEL

10). MOTHER’S LIST
A). ONE (1) HEAVY PIECE OF MADRAS (GEORGE)
B). FOUR (4) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). ONE (1) PIECE OF UKPO (REAL DUTCH WAX)
D). HEAD TIE (TWO YARDS)
E). LADIES UMBRELLA
F). CORDLESS BLOUSE MATERIAL
G). A PAIR OF SHOES
H). LADIES WRIST WATCH
I). TOWEL
J). COMPLETE SET OF G. L. CHAIN
K). LADIES HAND BAG
L). HANDHERCHIEFS
M). ONE (1) CARTON OF TOILET / BATHING SOAP
N). ONE (1) CARTON OF BAR SOAP
O). ONE DOZEN OF ASSORTED BODY CREAM
P). SIX (6) ASSORTED TALCUM POWDER

11). DANCING: FOR THE BRIDE TO DANCE WITH THE GROOM N2,000.00

12). COOKING MATERIALS:
2 BAGS OF RICE, 1 COW, 40 BIG TUBERS OF YAM, 2 LONG TAILS OF STOCK FISH, 2 STICKS OF DRY FISH, 6 HEADS OF STOCK FISH, ONE BAG OF GARRI, 30 CUPS OF EGUSI, 2 CUPS OF ACHI, 5 CUPS OF DRIED PEPPER, 1 TRAY OF CRAYFISH, 2 BAGS OF SALT, A BASKET OF FRESH TOMATOES, A TRAY OF ONIONS, A TRAY OF FRESH PEPPER, 1 CARTON OF TINNED TOMATOES, 1 TIN OF MAGGI (ROYCO), 2 BOTTLES OF CURRY POWDER, 2 BOTTLES OF THYME, 1 TIN OF GROUNDNUT OIL, 1 TIN OF PALM OIL, 1 MAT (HAUSA TYPE), 1 BIG BASIN (ERICO) AND 3 NUT MEGS.

13). FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DO THE COOKING:
A). A CRATE OF MINERAL
B). A CARTON OF BEER
C). A PACKET OF CABIN BISCUIT
D). A BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS
E). A GALLON OF PALM WINE
F). KITCHEN SUPPORT N2,000.00
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by amumex: 11:25am On Feb 17, 2011
What is all these, are they selling this lady in exchange of all this items.my advice for you is to budget N400,000 because the prices of this items are not stable.

The high cost of marriage in that part of our country are giving our young men sleepless night.

So guys no retreat no surrender we shall surely marry our girls no matter what.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by ifyalways(f): 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2011
missgstar2:

Hi

My father has just given the marriage list to my husband-to-be's parents in Nigeria.

I'm in the UK, and don't have a good idea about how things cost.

Can anyone give me some ideas on the list below?  I just want a rough estimate on cost.

Thanks!

1). NMAYI NKUTU AKA: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

2). NMAYI IHE AVURU: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS

3). NMAYI MKPARI UBUBO: ONE BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS/BRANDY/WHISKY

4). NMAYI AJUJU NKE NNA NKE NNE:
A). SIX (6) BOTTLES OF ASSORTD HOT DRINKS (THIS INCLUDES 1-3 ABOVE)
B). TWO (2) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
C). AKA NA UTAKU (ONE HAND AND A LEG OF MEAT)    –      (SHORT FALL MEN N 3K / SHORT FALL WOMEN N3K)
D). 4 X N5 NOTES
E). NATIVE KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS AND BITTER KOLA
F). ONE CREATE OF MINERAL

5). U ONU AKU:  (BARGAIN OF DOWRY – ONE BOTTLE OF WHISKY)

6). IWU OKWU MMIRI (REACHING ACCORD / SETTLEMENT) – ONE BIG BOTTLE OF WHISKY/BRANDY (THREE IN ONE).

7). BU NMAYI NWANYI:
A). NKOI AKPA N3K (NGWA ATO)
B). AJU ISII N1,500.00
C). NKPO ISII
D). OKWA ISII
E). THIRTY SIX (36) GALLONS OF PALM WINE
F). N120.00 (FOR THOSE TO CARRY THE PALM WINE)
G). EKOT INEM KE-MEN N3K
H). EKOT INEM KE-WOMEN N3K
I). A BIG BOTTLE OF GROUND SNUFF
J). ONE ROLL OF CIGARETTES (BENSON & HEDGES / ST. MORRIS)
K). TWO (2) BIG PACKETS OF MATCHES (TEN IN ONE)
L). IKPEGHE OGBITI / ULO NTA N200.00
M). IKPEGHE ONU-NKPU N2,000.00
N). KOLANUTS, GARDEN EGGS, BITTER KOLA (IN LARGE QUANTITY)
O). TRANSPORT TO BRING OUT THE BRIDE – WOMEN N5,000.00

cool. NMAYI NGANGA (APPRECIATION)
A). TEN (10) CARTONS OF ASSORTED BEER, INCLUDING TWO (2) CRATES OF SMALL STOUT
B). TEN (10) CRATES OF ASSORTED MINERALS INCLUDING AT LEAST THREE (3) CRATES OF MALTINA

9). FATHER’S LIST
A). ISI AGU / INYINYA MATERIALS FOR CHIEFTAINCY DRESS
B). SIX (6) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). HAT
D). A PAIR OF CUT SHOES
E). GENTS UMBRELLA
F). WALKING STICK
G). GENTS WRIST WATCH
H). HANDKERCHIEFS
I). TOWEL

10). MOTHER’S LIST
A). ONE (1) HEAVY PIECE OF MADRAS (GEORGE)
B). FOUR (4) PIECES OF PLAIN MADRAS (GEORGE)
C). ONE (1) PIECE OF UKPO (REAL DUTCH WAX)
D). HEAD TIE (TWO YARDS)
E). LADIES UMBRELLA
F). CORDLESS BLOUSE MATERIAL
G). A PAIR OF SHOES
H). LADIES WRIST WATCH
I). TOWEL
J). COMPLETE SET OF G. L. CHAIN
K). LADIES HAND BAG
L). HANDHERCHIEFS
M). ONE (1) CARTON OF TOILET / BATHING SOAP
N). ONE (1) CARTON OF BAR SOAP
O). ONE DOZEN OF ASSORTED BODY CREAM
P). SIX (6) ASSORTED TALCUM POWDER

11). DANCING: FOR THE BRIDE TO DANCE WITH THE GROOM N2,000.00

12). COOKING MATERIALS:
2 BAGS OF RICE, 1 COW, 40 BIG TUBERS OF YAM, 2 LONG TAILS OF STOCK FISH, 2 STICKS OF DRY FISH, 6 HEADS OF STOCK FISH, ONE BAG OF GARRI, 30 CUPS OF EGUSI, 2 CUPS OF ACHI, 5 CUPS OF DRIED PEPPER, 1 TRAY OF CRAYFISH, 2 BAGS OF SALT, A BASKET OF FRESH TOMATOES, A TRAY OF ONIONS, A TRAY OF FRESH PEPPER, 1 CARTON OF TINNED TOMATOES, 1 TIN OF MAGGI (ROYCO), 2 BOTTLES OF CURRY POWDER, 2 BOTTLES OF THYME, 1 TIN OF GROUNDNUT OIL, 1 TIN OF PALM OIL, 1 MAT (HAUSA TYPE), 1 BIG BASIN (ERICO) AND 3 NUT MEGS.

13). FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DO THE COOKING:
A). A CRATE OF MINERAL
B). A CARTON OF BEER
C). A PACKET OF CABIN BISCUIT
D). A BOTTLE OF SCHNAPPS
E). A GALLON OF PALM WINE
F). KITCHEN SUPPORT N2,000.00

Where are u from?
Most of the things in ur list sounds Igbo while others sound Efik/Ibibio.
Don't u have relatives living in naija to do the pricing for you . . .or even in-laws?
Do u intend to do the Trad in where ever u stay or naija?
I know a greater part of the stuffs on the average bridal list are [b]NOT [/b]must do's unless u want to do it.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by jaybee3(m): 1:08pm On Feb 17, 2011
Chei see list shocked shocked shocked
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by armyofone(m): 3:16pm On Feb 17, 2011
i think it is about time we have a say in the marriage list. our parents should consult us too.
i thought some of the things on the list are for the lady. now if the lady is not there, why such a long list? even if the lady is coming for the marriage from UK, how on earth is she going to ship all the stuff back?

many things are plain unnecessary (but sha i'd like the guy marrying me not to complain grin)
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by Odunharry(m): 11:59pm On Feb 17, 2011
na wa o e be like say d husband to be na from dangote family.
Men this list much for my eyes o.wat abt if dem want come do wedding?na hm b say the total make d guy go spend alone go reach to dey build house.abeg make una no let young guys and men fear.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by Ladyjide(f): 2:49am On Feb 18, 2011
Is this a normal list for a dowry?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by missgstar2: 9:45am On Feb 18, 2011
hey guys

I'm the youngest in my family, and this is pretty much the same list that was issued to my bro-in-laws.

@ armyofone: I too agree that we should have a say in the list. Feeling really under pressure at the moment. My father just isn't shifting! He says that this is the way things are done, but I can't quite believe that every marriage goes down like this! Would anyone ever be able to get married?!?!?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by excanny: 11:41am On Feb 18, 2011
missgstar2:

hey guys

I'm the youngest in my family, and this is pretty much the same list that was issued to my bro-in-laws.

@ armyofone: I too agree that we should have a say in the list. Feeling really under pressure at the moment. My father just isn't shifting! He says that this is the way things are done, but I can't quite believe that every marriage goes down like this! Would anyone ever be able to get married?!?!?

OP, Which part of Igboland are you from?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by missgstar2: 11:51am On Feb 18, 2011
Abia!
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by excanny: 12:20pm On Feb 18, 2011
missgstar2:

Abia!

I hope you dont find me too nosy. Which part of Abia?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by missgstar2: 12:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
arochukwu
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by excanny: 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^^
Ok. Just wanted to clear up the Ibibio stuffs around the list.

But why are you worried about the cost of the items? I think your husband-to-be parents should sort that out. Or are you helping out in the financing?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by missgstar2: 1:15pm On Feb 18, 2011
I will be contributing. Neither of our families are particularly well off. I know my in-laws to be will not be able to shoulder the cost, and so it will be on my fiance's head,
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by queenesthr(f): 3:46pm On Feb 18, 2011
Most of the items in the are included for ceremonial reasons. They don't really expect the in-laws to provide everything on the list.

The essence is just to show you value your daughter and that you don't want to give her out to a pauper. The in-laws should show they are capable of taking care of the woman.

A man is expected to be hard working and able to feed and clothe his family.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by excanny: 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2011
queenesthr:

Most of the items in the are included for ceremonial reasons. They don't really expect the in-laws to provide everything on the list.

The essence is just to show you value your daughter and that you don't want to give her out to a pauper. The in-laws should show they are capable of taking care of the woman.

A man is expected to be hard working and able to feed and clothe his family.

You are quite correct. Most of the items there are negotiable, depending on what you can afford. On a lighter note, I dont think there's anything wrong in giving your daughter out to a broke brother. More and more dudes are still in a recession these days grin

P.S But it seems the OP is not complaining about the items, she just needs their prices.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by Odunnu: 9:25pm On Feb 18, 2011
Did you guys take time to go thru the list?damn funny.
'four N5 Notes, N120 for men that'l carry the palmwine. . .'
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by excanny: 10:22pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^^

I do not think that's the point of the thread.
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by ifyalways(f): 2:18pm On Feb 19, 2011
missgstar2:

arochukwu
Omo,seems our list varies from kindred to kindred.
Im from Aro too but my list is definitely not same as urs.No Omu aro for ur list ? shocked shocked shocked
A great percentage of the items in that list are very cheap.Offhand I wud say 300K is OK,remember . . .You do[b] NOT[/b] have to provide everything on the list maka na a naghi anucha nwanyi anucha.Ka nka,ada Mazi kiss
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by mafolayomi(f): 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2011
shocked shocked. i must born girl ooooooo, see investment! to follow im own wife dance e go pay #2000?
Re: I Need Help Pricing Up My Marriage List! by amumex: 5:04pm On Mar 04, 2011
My people this list will pursue some intend inlaws away from coming to marry our ladies.Our people pls let us help our guys to marry our ladies.biko kwanu maka na ihe di oke nkpa na obodo anyi.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Call Bitter Kola ( Garcinia Kola) In Your Native Language? / Myth On The Four Market Days In Igbo Land : How It Started / Where Was Your Placenta Buried?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.