Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,632 members, 7,975,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 04:57 AM

Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo (6547 Views)

Asiwaju Tinubu Salutes Like The Commander In Chief (Photo) / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Junaid Mohammed: IPOB Not Ohaneze, PANDEF That Bow To Threat / Shouts Of APC At Ojude Oba Festival Is An Abomination - OBA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Corlah: 5:33pm On Aug 20, 2020
So you don't know that the Are ona kakanfo is superior to an ESO I.e a guard? yes the onikoyi is a guard also a warrior under the command of the Are on a kakanfo . forget the Oba title attached to it now . is a modern day oba and he can never be superior to IBA. the onikoyi know the tradition. if you're still in doubt ask an elderly Yoruba man around.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by techmo(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:
It is an abomination for an oba in yoruba land to bow to greet his subjects chiefs included

Oga go and learn history... aere Onakakanfo, the general of of Oyo empire isn't mates with even alake, not to talk of smaller kings.. Aere IBA oluyole and other Aeere Ona kakanfo did whatever pleases them even Alafin is cautious of who he makes Aeere Ona kakanfo not to give the ritual to just anybody
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by adezeih: 10:14pm On Aug 20, 2020
The position of Onikoyi as an Esho (Calvary commander) is not borne out of being submissive to the Alafin but as an allegiance to the Oduduwa linage and the defense of his father's heritage as a direct descendant of Oduduwa. The Aare does not summon Onikoyi, Timi, Agba Akin, Olofa and the likes, these are warriors to be directly summoned by the Alaafin and they respond in defense of their father's honour.
Onikoyi, Timi and others possess the beaded crown as a sign of being direct descendant of Oduduwa with full rights of statehood in their domains and Ikoyi was never a military outpost. It was founded as a kingdom.
The present day Ikoyi in Lagos is one of the expansions of the Ikoyi Osun.
In historical heirachy, the Olukoyi as well as other kings with beaded crown are not subservient to the Aare who is only a representative of the Alaafin at the war front.

2 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by adezeih: 10:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
I wonder the history you are quoting, even themajority of the Ikoyis that emerge from main one were never headed by a Baale.
ajailer:

If we should look back to history, Ikoyi at the beginning was a hamlet and the highest man was a Baale. I guess enlightenment and the need to be relevant was why the title of Baale was upgraded to an Oba, but Aare ona kakanfo has always been what it has been power wise from the beginning. I believe the title of Oba now being given to the Onikoyi is just a glorified Baale. Another thing to look at is the sitting arrangement in the picture, it shows that the Onikoyi is a subject of the Aare ona kakanfo.

It's my opinion sha.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sevenhundred(m): 11:10pm On Aug 20, 2020
sarrki:

I disagree totally

There is nowhere in our history that states such

Reason why history must be taught at all levels of our educational system
back your point with history or records.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 1:44am On Aug 21, 2020
budaatum:

Unless that ọba is a glorified new ọba, and there are many new ọbas like that across Yorubaland since baalẹs were promoted.

I agree with you 100%

That’s what is eroding our culture

The traditional stool should be by merit and lineage not political patronage
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Antoeni(m): 1:49am On Aug 21, 2020
This is a Shawama Oba.
Oba of BENIN Stands Out

2 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:20am On Aug 21, 2020
Akamariner:

No, the are ona kakanfo wields more power in the Yoruba empire than any other tittle, he controls the whole millitary structure of the Yoruba empire, that is why he is prevented from residing near the empire capital (Oyo alafin), after him is the bashorun, the alafin is being checked by the Oyo messi's, which bashorun is the leader, and the Oyo messi's are being checked by the ogboni cult, the are onokakanfo controls the seventy ESO of the alafin, which are respected individuals, of which timi of ede town is inclusive, but no one check the are ona kakanfo, this is the reason why the are is not allow near the alafin palace, to prevent treason, the Yoruba empire was able to stand strong for centuries because of these check on power, if a strong alafin rules, it will be replace by a weak one, and on like that, and the Oyo mesi's may compel the alafin to commit suicide, if he is not wanted by the people, most obas are under the alafin, except the oni of ife, cause that's where the first alafin hails from (oranmiyan), and it is forbidden to wage war on the alafin or the oni, because those are the ruling head, I'm not saying bowing to are is right, but cinsidering the power the are wields, it's not surprising.

I am a native of Oyo town, of the balogun clan, that's why I know all these

Thanks for this insight.

You guys have a very sophisticated hierarchy.

What's the relationship and differences between the Ooni and Alafin?
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by obalex89: 5:39am On Aug 21, 2020
Please read and study the history Yoruba kingdom, title and power attached to it.before comments please
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 21, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
slavery a form of lifestyle for those creatures over there anything to prostrate like lizards on heat period is welcome bunch of back stabbers

As against waking your father with a kick or killing all your brothers to inherit a 10ft by 20ft piece of land, right?

2 Likes

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by BabaRamota1980: 6:37am On Aug 21, 2020
In short Sarrki should be quarantined. Ogbeni, you sure say you be Yoruba? Dont make this kind error again. If you dont have a grip on the heirarchy just look at the throne to see what the occupant sits on. Aare sits on Leopard skin. As an Eso, Onikoyi's totem is the Ram, he no fit sit on leopard skin.

Ogbeni report yourself to the quarantine center. grin
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 21, 2020
BuddhaPalm:

Thanks for this insight.

You guys have a very sophisticated hierarchy.

What's the relationship and differences between the Ooni and Alafin?

Here is the relationship.

All the children of oduduwa resides with their father in ile-ife, being the chief Yoruba land, and are expected to rule the kingdom, after the demise of their father, according to who IFA chose, so all of the available children is entitled to the throne, according to the choice of IFA, but there was a time the northerners insults oduduwa, and the last born of oduduwa, who later became the first alafin, asked his elder brothers to assist him in fighting the notherners that insulted their father, they agreed, but fought on the way going, so oranyan (the last born), departed and seek refuge with one nupe chief/king. It was the nupe chief that gave oranyan a snake that he should follow, that wherever the snake stops, oranyan should settle there, and when the snakes stops at old Oyo town, oranyan decided to stop there and establish his own monarchy, forsaking his birthright at ile ife, but instead of calling himself oba, like Yoruba's named their king, he chooses alafin instead (meaning, owner of the palace), the new Oyo town then grows in millitary strength, and they conquered many regional town, but instead of fighting the remaining Yoruba land, decided to protect them and give respect to ile ife and oni, being their descendants town, so alafin had an entitlement to the throne of oni, but created his own empire, and became the strongest imperial, ruling in the whole of west Africa then, before internal conflict bring about the fall of the empire.

That's the relationship between them.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On Aug 21, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
Crying more than the bereaved,
The "Oba" who knows customs and history of the tradition seems happy to be doing all that he did.

See his smiles.

It's like saying one the president of one small African country should not respect the Prime Minister of Britain.

I'm just saying.
This is the dumbest thing i've heard this weak.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:48am On Aug 21, 2020
Akamariner:

All the children of oduduwa resides with their father in ile-ife, being the chief Yoruba land, and are expected to rule the kingdom, after the demise of their father, according to who IFA chose, so all of the available children is entitled to the throne, according to the choice of IFA, but there was a time the northerners insults oduduwa, and the last born of oduduwa, who later became the first alafin, asked his elder brothers to assist him in fighting the notherners that insulted their father, they agreed, but fought on the way going, so oranyan (the last born), departed and seek refuge with one nupe chief/king. It was the nupe chief that gave oranyan a snake that he should follow, that wherever the snake stops, oranyan should settle there, and when the snakes stops at old Oyo town, oranyan decided to stop there and establish his own monarchy, forsaking his birthright at ile ife, but instead of calling himself oba, like Yoruba's named their king, he chooses alafin instead (meaning, owner of the palace), the new Oyo town then grows in millitary strength, and they conquered many regional town, but instead of fighting the remaining Yoruba land, decided to protect them and give respect to ile ife and oni, being their descendants town, so alafin had an entitlement to the throne of oni, but created his own empire, and became the strongest imperial, ruling in the whole of west Africa then, before internal conflict bring about the fall of the empire.

Ahh, I see...

Thank you very much!
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by femi4: 9:02am On Aug 21, 2020
sarrki:

The way you see it is wrong

No matter how small a king is he or she can’t bow to a mere glorified chief in yoruba land
This is not a recognised King. He belongs to all the Baales turned Kings in recent times
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 21, 2020
adezeih:
The position of Onikoyi as an Esho (Calvary commander) is not borne out of being submissive to the Alafin but as an allegiance to the Oduduwa linage and the defense of his father's heritage as a direct descendant of Oduduwa. The Aare does not summon Onikoyi, Timi, Agba Akin, Olofa and the likes, these are warriors to be directly summoned by the Alaafin and they respond in defense of their father's honour.
Onikoyi, Timi and others possess the beaded crown as a sign of being direct descendant of Oduduwa with full rights of statehood in their domains and Ikoyi was never a military outpost. It was founded as a kingdom.
In historical heirachy, the Olukoyi as well as other kings with beaded crown are not subservient to the Aare who is only a representative of the Alaafin at the war front.

You are right, but there is a distinction between the ESO and the Oyo mesi, the ESO are 70 in number, and are the chief commander of the alafin calvary, timi of ede is one of them, alafin chooses him and other war chiefs heading various millitary outpost because he saw they are men of valour, and the 70 ESO are answerable to the are ona kakanfo, hence placing the are in a very powerful position, although the are is only answerable to the alafin but in a limited fashion, the eso's also are only answerable to the alafin and are ona kakanfo.

The Oyo mesi's consist of bashorun, being the chief, olofa, agba akin, alapinin, asipa and a few others, I think they are seven in number, these people serves as a check on the power of the alafin, preventimg him from being power drunken, they are also the king maker and can compel the alafin to commit suicide if he is no longer wanted by the people, the right to the throne of the alafin is not by birth, to prevent the aremo from killing his father, but anybody from the lineage of oranyan, can be the next alafin, as decided by IFA and the Oyo mesi's, the Oyo mesi's are not answerable to alafin, but to the last ruling council. The ogboni cult. These consist of ordinary members of the citizens, and they represent the ordinary citizens, they serve as a check to the power of the Oyo mesi's preventing them from abusing power., so that's how the line is drawn.

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by joyandfaith: 9:11am On Aug 21, 2020
adezeih:

your knowledge of yoruba history is superb. it is very wrong for any oba or even baale to bow to Are ona kankafo. Oba or baales have subjects. Are does not have subjects. Even a subject of any baale or oba can be appointed as are based on alaafin discretion. however in the past, nearly all are ona kankafo were rulers in their respective domains. they had subjects. Are in modern time is a joke, no domain, no subject.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by joyandfaith: 9:14am On Aug 21, 2020
femi4:
This is not a recognised King. He belongs to all the Baales turned Kings in recent times

based on your narrative, olubadan could bow to Are ona kankafo?
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by famouscargo4u: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2020
sarrki:

The way you see it is wrong

No matter how small a king is he or she can’t bow to a mere glorified chief in yoruba land

You are wrong. he is right. the king does not wear a beaded crown. he is more or less a village head.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by joyandfaith: 9:18am On Aug 21, 2020
Akamariner:

that is why ooni is regarded as spiritual head while alaafin is military head of all oduduwa descendants.

1 Like

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by pricklewane: 9:26am On Aug 21, 2020
ZKOSOSO:
After Ooni and Alaafin of Oyo is Aare Onaa Kakanfo in the Yoruba traditional hierarchy
Says a foolish igbo.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 9:50am On Aug 21, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
In short Sarrki should be quarantined. Ogbeni, you sure say you be Yoruba? Dont make this kind error again. If you dont have a grip on the heirarchy just look at the throne to see what the occupant sits on. Aare sits on Leopard skin. As an Eso, Onikoyi's totem is the Ram, he no fit sit on leopard skin.

Ogbeni report yourself to the quarantine center. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 21, 2020
joyandfaith:

that is why ooni is regarded as spiritual head while alaafin is military head of all oduduwa descendants.

Yea, you're right.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by basybasy: 9:54am On Aug 21, 2020
sarrki:
It is an abomination for an oba in yoruba land to bow to greet his subjects chiefs included
This is nonsense. Who is Are Onankakanfo of Oyo to Onikoyi. The pic shows disrespect from Ghani, but I don't blame him, I blame the Onikoyi who is bending for just a honorary chief of Oyo. He is not even a direct Oyo traditional chief. Which government recognizes the tittle of Are? Is he on any statutory govt payroll? I beg, I don't have time for this rubbish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by sarrki(m): 9:56am On Aug 21, 2020
basybasy:

This is nonsense. Who is Are Onankakanfo of Oyo to Onikoyi. The pic shows disrespect from Ghani, but I don't blame him, I blame the Onikoyi who is bending for just a honorary chief of Oyo. He is not even a direct Oyo traditional chief. Which government recognizes the tittle of Are? Is he on any statutory govt payroll? I beg, I don't have time for this rubbish.

Exactly my position
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by Stephenomozzy(m): 10:24am On Aug 21, 2020
Afam4eva:

This is the dumbest thing i've heard this weak.

You're quite dumb Sir. So you're always surrounded and now seeing dumbfvckery.

Do have a better day.. Stop trolling.
Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by adezeih: 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2020
You are correct with your position, my grand-uncle was the immediate past Olukoyi, and he joined his ancestors in 1983 having spent 39 years on the throne and possessing a beaded crown.
It is not correct to come without fact and grandstand to be an authority in an history one knows nothing about.
The bowing of the Olukoyi could only be explained on a personal ground. The Olukoyi I know is an extremely humble personality who would always want to prostrate to greet my late father which would compel my father to lie down flat to greet him.
One of his sons is about my age, meaning he's old enough to be my father, but he would greet me with so much enthusiasm and that is how he does with virtually everyone. So I was not so surprised when I saw him bowing to welcome an Aare who is not every a traditional chief of Oyo, but an appointee of the Alaafin
basybasy:

Re: Abomination Oba Onikoyi Bow To Greet Gani Adams A Mere Chief-photo by jara: 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
It is absolutely wrong and disrespectful for Gani Adams to accept a bow from Onikoyi. He should have held him up or immediately go on the floor.

https://www.nairaland.com/4813294/igbon-iresa-ikoyi-pre-historic-relationship

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives Letters Of Credence From Ambassadors / Obi Leads Atiku, Tinubu In Abia, Wins 11 Local Governments / Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.