Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,437 members, 7,917,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 01:21 AM

No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA (1127 Views)

Julius Abure: Peter Obi Will Choose A Northern Muslim as Vice President / Sanusi Lamido: No Northern Leader Should Be Happy Today Over Poverty, Insecurity / FFK: Babatunde Fowler Is Out, Replaced By A Northern Muslim, Just As I Predicted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 22, 2020
ABUJA – To underscore that the withdrawal of the invitation to Kaduna Governor Mallam Nasir el-Rufai as a speaker at its Annual General Conference was not withdrawn on ethnic or religious basis, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), said even senior lawyers from the North, who share the same Muslim faith with the governor, were part of the decision.

In fact, not a single Muslim endorsed the governor’s invitation, as only three members of its National Executive Committee (NEC), two Southerners and the third, a Christian cleric backed the suggestion to retain him as a speaker at the 60th Annual General Conference (AGC), according to NBA President Paul Usoro.

Bowing to pressure from a groundswell of its membership, citing his alleged violation of human rights, disrespect to court orders and handling of the killings in Southern Kaduna, the association had announced the withdrawal of el-Rufai’s participation in the event on Thursday evening,.

The event scheduled to hold between August 26 and 29 with the theme: Step forward is expected to host Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), as dignitaries, while the speakers, include, Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike; former Anambra Governor Peter Obi and a cleric, Tunde Bakare; former minister Oby Ezekwesili and immediate past ECOWAS commissioner for political affairs, peace and security, Salamatu Suleiman.

Incensed at the inclusion of el-Rufai in the session entitled Who is a Nigerian? …A Debate on National Identity, lawyers at the top and bottom echelon of the profession latched on a petition launched by Usani Odum to kick against the move.

In a statement, entitled: Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) 2020 Annual General Conference’s National Executive Committee (NEC’s) decision to disinvite His Excellency Mallam Nasir el-Rufai as a speaker in a panel session, Usoro said the NEC did not want to burden the conference with the controversy rather than finding the governor culpable of any wrongdoing.

He said: “This morning (August 21), I have had telephone discussions with the Director-General of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Mr. Asishana Okauru, on the issue and have tendered through him, to HE Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, my sincere apologies and regrets for any unintended embarrassment that he may have been caused by the NBA NEC’s decision.

“I followed up our telephone discussions with the attached letter which explains the circumstances of the decision by NEC. The letter has been sent to Mr. Okauru, both in hard and soft copies. It is apropos that l reproduce in this Release, paragraphs 5, 6 and 7 of the letter for ease of reference by our members:

“ln concluding, I must clarify two critical issues. First, NEC’s decision yesterday had no ethnic or religious coloration or connotation howsoever and whatsoever. In discussing the issue at NBC, nobody talked about religion or ethnicity.

As I recall, there were no more than 3 (three) advocates for retaining the invitation of the NBA to HE Nasir El Rufai (not including me) and two of these three gentlemen are from the South of Nigeria and one is a reverend gentleman. Conversely, some of those who spoke against his attendance share the same faith with Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and some others come from the Northern part of Nigeria.

“The second point that I must clarify is that NBA NEC, by its decision was not passing any judgment on Mallam Nasir El-Rufai. NBA NEC is not in a position to pass such judgments without having all the facts and hearing from all the sides and it dld not set out to pass any such Judgment.

“NEC merely made a judgment that it was not in the best interest of the Association to be engulfed in the controversy that trailed the invitation of Mallam el-Rufai for the Conference and that it was best if the safety valve of dis-inviting the Governor was applied.

“Indeed, NEC did not howsoever or at all discuss the substance of the issues that have been raised against the Governor by the different groups and persons who clamored for his being dis-invited and there was very considerable clamor in that regard. I perhaps need to mention that, prior to the NEC meeting I had personally taken urgent and strident steps, working with the TCCP, to douse the clamor, but we had no success.

“I truly would appreciate your bringing this letter to the attention not just of HE Nasir e1 Rufai but also to all the other members of the esteemed Nigerian Governors’ Forum and in particular, the Chairman of the Forum, HE (Dr) Kayode Fayemi.

“Please, assure Their Excellencies that the Nigerian Bar Association holds all our Governors, including HE Nasir e1 Rufai, in the highest esteem and would do nothing intentionally to embarrass them collectively or individually.
‘Once again, I offer my sincere and deepest apologies and regrets for the unintended embarrassment that may have been caused to HE Nasir el Rufai by the afore-referenced decision of the NBA NEC and would appreciate your passing on my regrets and apologies to him personally.”

Dwelling on the need to douse the “ethnic and religious passions that seem to have been inflamed amongst our members by the NEC decision,” he said he had received several messages from lawyers that attributed ethnic and religious considerations to the decision.

“That is not correct and is very far from the truth. Neither the NBA nor NEC belongs to any religious or ethnic group. We are lawyers and professionals dedicated to the ideals and the promotion and preservation of the Rule of Law and we belong to one indivisible family of the NBA.”

Usoro also rebutted claims that the NEC infringed el-Rufai’s right to fair hearing before withdrawing the invitation.

He said: “No, it did not. As I point out in my letter, neither the NBA nor NEC set out to sit in judgment against Mallam e1 Rufai and even from that prism, the principle of fair hearing does not apply.

“None of the persons or parties who are opposed to the invitation of Mallam el Rufai to the AGC has been offered the NBA or AGC platform to advocate or propogate their viewpoints and positions and so, the principle of not hearing the other side does not arise…

“I implore all our members to please not view this issue howsoever from an ethnic or religious perspective. Those were not the issues considered by NEC yesterday (Thursday).” (Whirlwindnews.com)

https://sundiatapost.com/no-northern-muslim-endorsed-el-rufais-invitation-nba/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by MalcoImX: 10:49am On Aug 22, 2020
So you think you are correct, based on this, to have withdrawn his invitation?
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 10:51am On Aug 22, 2020
MalcoImX:
So you are correct, based on this, to have withdrawn his invitation?
No Northern Member endorsed El Rufai’s invitation, then who forwarded his name? I bet by Monday, story will change, we will find out that Paul Usoro is lying, has the Kaduna arm of the Nigerian Bar Association returned the 10 million Naira Cheque he gave to them?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by princeade86(m): 10:52am On Aug 22, 2020
Sane mind people can't endorse such person.

1 Like

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by TooMuchStuff: 10:54am On Aug 22, 2020
EL-RUFAI is a persona non-grata in any sane human civilization

Extremely loquacious hypocritical bloodthirsty midget of demonic proportion. Tueh to Evil

3 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 10:55am On Aug 22, 2020
princeade86:
Sane mind people can't endorse such person.
Who are you calling sane, members of the Nigerian Bar Association? Criminals in Advocate’s regalia?
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 10:56am On Aug 22, 2020
TooMuchStuff:
For speaking the truth against you Hypocrites? Useless Pharisees, History has thought us that people that speak the truth are always persona non grata to the weak and feeble minds, intellectual comprehension of truth, is always hard for them to decipher, so they stay with the norms.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by TooMuchStuff: 11:02am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
For speaking the truth against you Hypocrites? Useless Pharisees.
Who be dis...?
If I say OL you say OSHO....!

3 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:03am On Aug 22, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Who be dis...?
If I say OL you say OSHO....!
I don’t know what you are trying to imply, go enquire from your sister.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by helinues: 11:03am On Aug 22, 2020
Why are they disturbing us with NBA inviting El Rufai.

Of what economy important is this news to average Nigerians?

Nigeria journalists seems idle
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
No Northern Member endorsed El Rufai’s invitation, then who forwarded his name? I bet by Monday, story will change, we will find out that Paul Usoro is lying.
Am not sure you understood his statement at all. Following the outcry for his removal, they sat to deliberate on it and only 3 persons voted for his retention and they were even from the south (one, being a reverend), the rest, including all the muslims and northerners there voted against his retention. On that ground, they had to stand on his removal. He had to make that explanation to disabuse any minds that are seeking to make his removal an ethnic or religious issue.
All the people from his ethnic stock and religious background voted to have him removed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by LadyExcellency: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
Who are you calling sane, members of the Nigerian Bar Association? Criminals in Advocate’s regalia?

You are taking this issue personal. I believe no Nairalander was involved in removing Mallam Elrufai from the congress hence be civil.

5 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by IamWonderful: 11:05am On Aug 22, 2020
Why invite a governor terrorist commander in the first place?

2 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by malele(m): 11:07am On Aug 22, 2020
No sane person endorses a terrorist

2 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by JAMO84: 11:07am On Aug 22, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Extremely loquacious hypocritical bloodthirsty midget of demonic proportion. Tueh to Evil
Wike is what? Saint Nyesom because he's Christian.

How many people has El Rufai killed if I may ask?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by PlayerMeji: 11:08am On Aug 22, 2020
Just imagine
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:08am On Aug 22, 2020
plusfield:

Am not sure you understood his statement at all. Following the outcry for his removal, they sat to deliberate on it and only 3 persons voted for his retention and they were even from the south (one, being a reverend), the rest, including all the muslims and northerners there voted against his retention. On that ground, they had to stand on his removal. He had to make that explanation to disabuse any minds that are seeking to make his removal an ethnic or religious issue.
All the people from his ethnic stock and religious background voted to have him removed
Name one persons out cry, for every complaint, there is support across the aisle, don’t people curse President Buhari everyday? aren’t there people leaving the Bar Association everyday because of the way the last election was rigged? Can’t you read & comprehend what I wrote?, your assertion is based on one man’s side of the story, wait till the new week starts, you will hear other sides.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2020
LadyExcellency:

You are taking this issue personal. I believe no Nairalander was involved in removing Mallam Elrufai from the congress hence be civil.
Taking what personal? I was only replying to a sagacious statement
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:20am On Aug 22, 2020
JAMO84:
Wike is what? Saint Nyesom because he's Christian.

How many people has El Rufai killed if I may ask?
Don’t mind those hypocrites, all the speakers are pdp sympathizers, Pastor Bakare is an independent Christian critic, let El Rufai voice his own dissenting opinion, it is how the conversation will grow, not for one corrupt Association to be the judge, all the so called speakers where chosen to criticize the Federal Government.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by techmo(m): 11:26am On Aug 22, 2020
cool

Same thing they accuse El Rufai of... Ethnic division is the same thing his followers are still showing

El Rufai was rejected as Northern Governor's forum chairman on same grounds

El Rufai was rejected as Nigerian Governors forum Chairman on same grounds

Even Buhari 2019 campaign organisation sidelined him after going on NTA live broadcast to threaten International Diplomats and election observers of returning in body bags

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by jlinkd78(m): 11:32am On Aug 22, 2020
Following
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by beejaay: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
Don’t mind those hypocrites, all the speakers are pdp sympathizers, Pastor Bakare is an independent Christian critic, let El Rufai voice his own dissenting opinion, it is how the conversation will grow, not for one corrupt Association to be the judge, all the so called speakers where chosen to criticize the Federal Government.

With your olosho face, you think they care about you?? Venting cos of political affiliations.. You better grow up and stop falling over for a crumbs from the staple of politics.. The people liking your comment for supporting irrationality will be the first to call you ipob tomorrow when speak out on thing that eventually affect your sanity.. If you think you are covered from all the insanity going, you kids won't and if your kids are then your grand kids won't..

2 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:35am On Aug 22, 2020
techmo:
cool

Same thing they accuse El Rufai of... Ethnic division is the same thing his followers are still showing

Even Buhari 2019 campaign organisation sidelined him after going on NTA live broadcast to threaten International Diplomats and election observers of returning in body bags

Please elaborate what you mean by ethnicity division by El Rufai, because no Governor of Kaduna has looked out for Christians more than El Rufai except for Late Governor Yakowa Who was murdered in a staged Navy helicopter crash under the coward Jonathan by pdp for trying to bring real change to Kaduna State.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by TooMuchStuff: 11:38am On Aug 22, 2020
techmo:
cool

Technically... a persona non-grata defined here!

2 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:40am On Aug 22, 2020
beejaay:

With your olosho face, you think they care about you?? Venting cos of political affiliations.. You better grow up and stop falling over for a crumbs from the staple of politics.. The people liking your comment for supporting irrationality will be the first to call you ipob tomorrow when speak out on thing that eventually affect your sanity.. If you think you are covered from all the insanity going, you kids won't and if your kids are then your grand kids won't..
Ok I understand, good write up, I hope you get invited, to read this at Obasanjo’s Eulogy.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by ogbuefi677(m): 11:42am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
This hairy balled Yerobber mumuslim,stop hiding under a female moniker with a stolen female profile picture.
Very soon you will demand for transport fare to visit one mugu on the forum.
We know your types

3 Likes

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:43am On Aug 22, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Technically... a persona non-grata defined here!
So you believe that crap, Which year did the Northern Governors forum reject him?, What year was he rejected by the Governors forum? A lie told most often doesn’t necessarily transit into a new truth.
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by seborrhic: 11:47am On Aug 22, 2020
El Rufai and Buhari are 2 extreme Muslim bigots and ultra sectional ethnic champions
Deep down their souls,their beginning and end is all about Islam and fulani domination.
They are both disciples of the Uthman Dan Fodio agenda to spread extreme Islamic and fulani agenda from the far north down the middle belt and even some parts of the south if possible,by all and any means possible,if given the opportunity,which they are both exploiting and maximizing.
These are 2 extremely dangerous men.
The only difference between the two is that one has a verifiable school and higher education certificate and the other hasn't even a verifiable secondary school one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by favor914: 11:48am On Aug 22, 2020
ogbuefi677:

This hairy balled Yerobber mumuslim,stop hiding under a female moniker with a stolen female profile picture.
Very soon you will demand for transport fare to visit one mugu on the forum.
We know your types
Of course, You know the traits of your Sister, better than myself, and you know where your sister inherited it from?
Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by techmo(m): 11:48am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
Please elaborate what you mean by ethnicity division by El Rufai, because no Governor of Kaduna has looked out for Christians more than El Rufai except for Late Governor Yakowa Who was murdered in a staged Navy helicopter crash under the coward Jonathan by pdp for trying to bring real change to Kaduna State.

Ethnic division means showing bias along ethnicity.. and at no point did I mention Christians or Muslims so don't buy him more problems adding religious intolerance based on Religious regulations bill he passed in Kaduna

Now that we have clearified that .. please google tweets ethnic supremacist tweet from El Rufai's verified handle that of his son and associates and tell me why anyone would want to have such a person a national event of a professional body like NBA

And to make matters worst for him while 400 petition cancelling his speech came from 400 lawyers accross the 6 geo political zone , his followers and aides are pushing the narrative of a southern , religious or ethnic witch hunt

Bauchi NBA a core Fulani state was the first to back down

1 Like

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by explorer250(m): 11:49am On Aug 22, 2020
Lol. elrufai na bad man

1 Like

Re: No Northern Muslim Endorsed El-rufai’s Invitation – NBA by beejaay: 11:49am On Aug 22, 2020
favor914:
Ok I understand, good write up, I hope you get invited, to read this at Obasanjo’s Eulogy.

What my biz with Obasanjo, he created all this mess we have now and people like you give it life because of silly primordial sentiments.. The north don't care about you, stop jumping up for them because of some silly permutation, when you are no longer needed you will be abandoned, something I know you should be well aware of..

(1) (2) (Reply)

IPOB Storm Hamburg, Germany, In Protest For Biafra - Pictures & Video / #endsars Protests, Huge Number of people Assemble In Orlu, Imo State / Buhari's First Military Assignment Was The Abeokuta Massacre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.