Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,542 members, 7,944,605 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 08:00 PM

Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please (7813 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?

Yes: 37% (23 votes)
No: 62% (39 votes)
This poll has ended

I Need Your Vote Please....contestant 15 / Fuel Tanker Currently On Fire At Lekki Toll Gate... See Photos / Festac Suya-Spot 2nd Gate Burnt (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 9:53pm On Feb 20, 2011
buzugee:

so if it features a host of artists, one artist has a time slot of like 30 minutes or less right ? you know you are really not helping your case here right ? ok let me kick some ballistics here.
i[b]n america, the hottest acts get paid $40,000 per concert. does not matter if it is jay z or dmx. standard fee of $40,000 per concert. [/b]this is why they do tours. if you do 50 dates in a year you have made yourself 2 million dollars. this is how they eat.

ok in nigeria lets assume they charge 5k. this is like 50 dollars. then you have at least 3 thousand people in the crowd right ? cuz i know naijas use big venues. so this is 3000 multiplied by 50 dollars. this is $15 million dollars shocked serious gouging

but hey i am lil ol me. make una do una self, me i will do me.

That's a B.S lie . . . are you fucking having a laugh. Lady Gaga gets $100,000 to show up at clubs and not perform and you're telling me they earn $40,000 per show.
NA LIE!!!

If you listen to hiphop you'd have heard rappers boast about their fees. . . not to talk about Lady Gaga or Beyonce.
Abi which kain lie be this gan nahh. You think we're daft or sumn??
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 20, 2011
By the way how does 3000 multiplied by $50 equal $15million dollars? For where, dude that's some funny calculation, that's just $150,000
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by sirp2007: 10:08pm On Feb 20, 2011
the words 'expensive' and  'cheap' re relative terms.What is consider cheap by one may look expensive to another.the talk of gate fee been expensive or cheap cannot be conclusively discuss.
pricing of any item has a lot of factors ie,economy factor,status factor,social factor,behavioural factor etc
Some persons for reasons best know 2 them will nt attend any show that is below a particular amount,while some other will nt attend any show that is above a particular amt,its all depends on wht u want, if u bring all the artists in d world living and dead to perform in my bedroom & d fee is N50(FIFTY naira) l will still nt attend,meanwhile l hv friends that will even borrow to attend shows.
if u feel d fee they charge is too much please sit at home,its nt by force.bt if u feel u wnt 2 see ur favourite artist  live in ur life time then pay d price its part of d sacrifice to achieve ur goal, we operate  a free economy,let d forces of demand and supply play itself out wthout interference from any quarters,at the time prices re been regulated by govt we will be left with craps(rem d old saying''IF U PAY PEANUT U WILL BE LEFT WITH MONKEYS), nitel,nrc,nta & nepa re good examples
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by McCoy91(m): 10:44pm On Feb 20, 2011
eldee:

That's a B.S lie . . . are you bleeping having a laugh. Lady Gaga gets $100,000 to show up at clubs and not perform and you're telling me they earn $40,000 per show.
NA LIE!!!

If you listen to hiphop you'd have heard rappers boast about their fees. . . not to talk about Lady Gaga or Beyonce.
Don't mind that dude. HHDX says that Drake makes $150,000 a show and Beiber DOUBLE that at times. You might have heard of the New Year show JayZ pocketed a cool million. $40,000! I laugh in Efik.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by McCoy91(m): 10:54pm On Feb 20, 2011
tatiana009:

By the way how does 3000 multiplied by $50 equal $15million dollars? For where, dude that's some funny calculation, that's just $150,000
ROTFLMAO. How could I have missed that? Chei! N100 calculator no good oh.
@OP, check out how much VIP pay for the Ruggedman album launch
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-603501.0.html
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by honeric01(m): 11:03pm On Feb 20, 2011
Why should i pay N25k at a show where they play cassette for me? they don't even perform live,

Shitttt
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by ndukwejoe(m): 12:24am On Feb 21, 2011
bros you much, if you be lawyer e go make sense die. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by ndukwejoe(m): 12:34am On Feb 21, 2011
kushe:

@buzugee and aloy emeka

i appreciate that you mention the fact that you live in england or something like it,however like most people who traverse foreign lands,u seem to have a chronic lack of understanding of the wealth culture or how it is propagated.

money is only a means of exchange people with the real commodity being traded called something like VALUE.poor people think and talk just the way you guys are ranting and even if they bound you and cast you into the royal mints,you probably still would not know how money smelt.

why talk about jay z,beyonce and usher like they were the most expensive concert tickets on the block.have you ever been to an elton john concert,or a katie melua,maybe you wanna see billy joel or bruce springsteen when next they are in town.need i mention more U2,robbie williams,susan boyle,toby keith,bon jovi etc.u think say naa change u go carry go see every concert,ol boys abeg make una arrange una side

i hav mentioned a few names that will make nigerians be like wtf?yeah the f, k is that people attach sh.t loads of value to these folks and see how much their sold out tickets are resold on the black market.instead of elevating our celebs to global reckoning,we debase dem by questioning their right to be what we have made them.a celeb like tuface or dbanj is a brand and when you attend their concert,u are not paying for the pyrotechs,sound checks or the venue,rather you are paying for the brand to entertain you.you should get value for your money but they should get the accolades they deserve.

if you feel you are important,go stand in the middle of victoria or london bridge stations and see how many ppl go look your side and watch either tuface or dbanj do the same.

to be a poor man,just think like one.    

bros you much, if you be lawyer e go make sense die.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 21, 2011
I wonder how much they pay if Usher, R Kelly and the rest of em show up maybe 1m undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 12:59am On Feb 21, 2011
Actually the gate fee is the same for both local and international stars. You guys seem to think the likes of Usher and R kelly are somehow superior to Tu face and other Nigerian artistes. Fortunately, Nigerians have evolved and the average Nigerian would rather go to a Tu face or D'banj concert than an Usher
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by kunlekunle: 2:36am On Feb 21, 2011
to watch 2012 olympics 100m finals you'll pay 750GBP ONLY

the vvip are usually for corporate organisation
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by ugosly(m): 7:57am On Feb 21, 2011
it is as ridiculous as it is preposterous 2 hav pple part wit hard earned moni in d name of outrageous gate fees 2 watch a monkey jump about &miming lyrics 4rm a CD(DJ,track 1),anyway thank God 4 alaba market,
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 21, 2011
ugosly:

it is as ridiculous as it is preposterous 2 hav pple part wit hard earned moni in d name of outrageous gate fees 2 watch a monkey jump about &miming lyrics 4rm a CD(DJ,track 1),anyway thank God 4 alaba market,
PMSL grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by papaejima2: 9:23am On Feb 21, 2011
The question should not be whether the fees are justifiable but whether the audience are getting value for their money. In recent times, I have noticed that when you go to a Nigerian show, you are just paying to see the artistes. They really do not perform, all the organizers do is to play their music and the artistes just "shows face" on stage, pretending to be singing or shouting "yo, yo, yo". This explains why our local artistes do not even bother to do rehearsals for shows and some even attend more than one show in a day. Can you imagine that. Our so-call international stars have always fumbled in the world stage (e.g 9ice at the Mandela Show) because they can not meet up with the quality expected in such shows.

Personally, I have stopped attending "live shows" not because the ticket prices are unreasonable but because of the low quality of such shows both in organization and performance of the artistes. How can I pay just to see the musicians' faces. If I go to see Beyounce or Shakira, I know I am expecting quality performances from them and not just miming. Some here have argued on how much you would need to pay to see other foreign stars. But they fail to point out that such fees are commensurate with the quality of performances dished out by these stars. If our local artistes and the organizers of shows here can meet up with this kind of quality, paying 25k for a ticket can then be justified. For now, these shows are not worth even paying 1k.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by chukxy44(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2011
If the Gate Fees are too small, it would attract all kinds of people infact too many people and would definitly not make sense
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by roymary: 10:21am On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

Not a good reason for exploitation. Improve the damn security measures,capacity and capability!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 10:23am On Feb 21, 2011
papa ejima:

The question should not be whether the fees are justifiable but whether the audience are getting value for their money. In recent times, I have noticed that when you go to a Nigerian show, you are just paying to see the artistes. They really do not perform, all the organizers do is to play their music and the artistes just "shows face" on stage, pretending to be singing or shouting "yo, yo, yo". This explains why our local artistes do not even bother to do rehearsals for shows and some even attend more than one show in a day. Can you imagine that. Our so-call international stars have always fumbled in the world stage (e.g 9ice at the Mandela Show) because they can not meet up with the quality expected in such shows.

Personally, I have stopped attending "live shows" not because the ticket prices are unreasonable but because of the low quality of such shows both in organization and performance of the artistes. How can I pay just to see the musicians' faces. If I go to see Beyounce or Shakira, I know I am expecting quality performances from them and not just miming. Some here have argued on how much you would need to pay to see other foreign stars. But they fail to point out that such fees are commensurate with the quality of performances dished out by these stars. If our local artistes and the organizers of shows here can meet up with this kind of quality, paying 25k for a ticket can then be justified. For now, these shows are not worth even paying 1k.

Pay £100, get a £13.83 performance.

Naija-stylee!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by McCoy91(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2011
roymary:

^^^

Not a good reason for exploitation. Improve the damn security measures,capacity and capability!!!
And then collect 1k because the improvements are free or maybe the promoters are NGOs
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by roymary: 11:00am On Feb 21, 2011
^^^^

Sir, its a vast scenario! Goes beyond the entertainment sector and hits the federal government inefficiency. They have shows in other countries and they are not as expensive and with reliable security.
Imagine visiting the world famous Playboy Mansion for $300 with all the luscious girls you ever dreamed of inclusive.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by kemiO1: 12:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
in my opinion they are way too expensive there was a show and VIP was 500k and that means 1mil if u go wiv ur spouse or friend. that's more than expensive its exhorbitant
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Ranoscky(m): 6:17pm On Feb 21, 2011
sir-p2007:

if u bring all the artists in d world living and dead to perform in my bedroom & d fee is N50(FIFTY naira) l will still nt attend
Nigga plsssss !!! grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Tokotaya: 8:34pm On Feb 21, 2011
It is funny how reaction changes on this issue when we change the industry. If it is telecom for instance, many would want to lynch Glo,Airtel or what have you for their prices. But here people are being so very liberal. Food for thought.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by DIG1: 11:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
UEFA is charging 176 pounds for champions league final match, dats over 45000 naira, if u ve money go to england n watch it, if u can't, watch it on ur black n white TV. It is not by force to go, one way or d other u will see it on ur TV
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 5:44am On Feb 22, 2011
eldee:

That's a B.S lie . . . are you bleeping having a laugh. Lady Gaga gets $100,000 to show up at clubs and not perform and you're telling me they earn $40,000 per show.
NA LIE!!!

excerpt from forbes

Jean, who noted yesterday that the peak of his career came in 1996 when he was a member of the Fugees, is not a big concert draw. In early-2008, during his 24-date "Carnival House Tour," Jean and his five bandmates played in clubs averaging about 1000 seats, a large dropoff from the days when he played significantly larger venues.

For example, Jean headlined a May 2002 festival at the University of Maryland's 10,000-seat Byrd Stadium. Contract records show that he was paid $40,000 for that show

another excerpt

The next concert -- another $40,000 was spent -- was by the has-been California rock band Sugar Ray. Sugar Ray would not likely receive anywhere near $40,000 for a performance here if concert promoters had to invest their own money -- the act being more suitable as a modest side-show attraction at a county fair or race track.

Which raises a question: Why is a nearly destitute and over-taxed city of 45,000 people, a city that apparently cannot afford to repair its own streets, paying for free concerts anyway?

The Sugar Ray concert was the best attended of last year's Hard Rock concert series. It attracted what looked like perhaps 500 people. At $40,000, that's roughly $80 per person.

also read this link. yall be speakin on stuff you know nothing about http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/168667/t/How-much-do-Rappers-charge-per-show.html?page=2
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 5:46am On Feb 22, 2011
McCoy91:

Don't mind that dude. HHDX says that Drake makes $150,000 a show and Beiber DOUBLE that at times. You might have heard of the New Year show JayZ pocketed a cool million. $40,000! I laugh in Efik.

in that link is a list of how much all the rappers are paid. some get as low as 10 grand http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/168667/t/How-much-do-Rappers-charge-per-show.html?page=2

i guess now you will be laughing in embarrassment tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 5:52am On Feb 22, 2011
biolabee:

buzugee im with u man

right back at at ya hun. grin being exploited is not our portion wink

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 5:53am On Feb 22, 2011
tatiana009:

error grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 5:55am On Feb 22, 2011
04/14/09 10:28 PM
Wyclef charged 30k and a couple oz's of chron when he did his show at my college,

OJ Da Juice $8500
Gucci Mane $35,000
Drake $10,000
GS Boys $6000
Ron Brownz $7500
Gorilla Zoe $7500
Slim Thug $6000
Mims $5500
DJ Drama $4500
Brisco $8500
Ray J $13,500
Young Dro $5500
Mack Mane $4000
Yung LA $7000
Mike Jones $6500
Pleasure P $8500
AlfaMega $5,500
Twista- $7500
Ace Hood $5000
Yo Gotti $8500
FloRida $25,000
Blood Raw $3500
Baby Bash $7000
B.O.B. $6000
Sammie $6000
Bobby V $16,000
J. Holiday $16,000
Musiq $17,500
Rich Boy $6000
Lil jon $16,500
The Game $30,000
NeYo $100,000
2Pistols $3500
Trina $8000
Keri Hilson $16,000
Slim of 112 $8000
Pastor Troy $5000
Young Buck $8000
T-Pain $45,000
Shawty Lo $16,000
Young Dro $5500
Mickey Factz $2500
Yung Berg $7500
Yung Joc $12,000
Lil Bossie $13,000
Webbie $12,500
Rich Ross $40,000
Plies $45,000
Mike Jones $7500
Young Jeezy $45,000
Trey Songz $16,500
Rocko $6000
Juelz Santana $15,000
Jim Jones $17,000
Tyga $5500
Young Dro $5500
Hot Stylz $4500
Dolla $4500
Jody Breeze $4,000
JT Money $3500
Khia- $4000
Tay Dizm $2500
Willy North pole $3500
Jacki-O $4500 ALL IN
Yung Ralph $4500
Buffie the Body $3000
Hoopz $4500
Myammee $2000
Chance & Real(Stallionaires) $6000
Tigger $5500
Rocsi $6000
Terrence J $6000
Melyssa Ford $6500
AJ Johnson $5500
Esther Baxter $4000
Morton Sisters $2000 All in
Collin Twins $2500
Gloria Velez $4000
Toccara $5000
Claudia Jordan $5500
SmallWorld $1000 (Def Jam Recording artist)
Page (Page feat. Drake "Still Fly) $1000
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by akinalabi(m): 1:04pm On Feb 22, 2011
Dont lets get this twisted. . .

Not all of these shows are expensive. The ones hosted at the new expo hall are the expensive ones. You
dont have to go.

We've seen 7up host Akon, TUFACE etc for FREE. We've seen other comedy and musical shows at cheaper
venues for N1,000 to N3,000

Because the most poular ones held at the expo hall et all are expensive does not mean whe should
start castigating these people. It costs a lot to put together these shows.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Natasha2(f): 6:02pm On Feb 24, 2011
500k for table *sighs* i will go with my own chair and table grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 11:23am On Feb 25, 2011
@Buzugee

Who the eff is Sugar Ray??
With due respect you're talking B.S. This guy did a Drake show early 2009 and you compare that to Drake of today?? Are you fucking having a laugh.
Early 2009, Drake hadn't even dropped Best I Ever Heard, basically . . . he was faceless.

My school tried to book K'naan for before the World Cup, he asked for £20,000 . . . and that's K'naan, artistes like that cut prices for colleges and unis.

And that list is full of unknown people or people that got booked before they were super stars . . . how can you put Lady Gaga or Beyonce on stage for anything less than $150,000 . . . na wa for una ooh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moderator Wanted In Politics Section / Funny Nigerian Quotes / Post Inspirational & Motivational Quotes You Know Here..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.