Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:47 AM

Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? (462 Views)

Can I Do Decking Before The Stairs / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House / How Many Blocks Would It Take To Complete This Self Contained Units? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by ChevyHeavy: 7:25am On Aug 28, 2020
Hello everyone.

Just finished my German Floor and also my ground floor colums. The next stage would normally be setting up the ground floor blocks followed by the decking

BUT

I'm considering doing my decking first before inserting the ground floor blocks under the decking.

A friend advised that it is better to do it this way so that the ground floor blocks aren't made to carry the weight of the decking.

For me, I'd rather do it this way too as the decking can be quite expensive. And I'd rather get the decking out of the way, and then jejely be moulding and adding the blocks as God provides.

But I need to know from the construction gurus on here whether it is advisable to do the decking first before setting the ground floor blocks.

Please I'd appreciate the advice of the construction gurus in the house.
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by saheedbadmus(m): 7:43am On Aug 28, 2020
Bro I feel you should have secured the service of an experienced engineer. If to say na bungalow now I for say just get experienced bricklayer but na a story building so using an engineer is better.. they know better to avoid story that torch o
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 28, 2020
ChevyHeavy:
Hello.

Just finished my German Floor and also my ground floor colums. The next stage would normally be setting up the ground floor blocks followed by the decking

BUT, I'm considering doing my decking first before inserting the ground floor blocks under the decking.

A friend advised that it is better to do it this way so that the ground floor blocks aren't made to carry the weight of the German floor.

For me, I'd rather do it this way too as the decking can be quite expensive. And I'd rather get the decking out of the way, and then jejely be moulding and adding the blocks as God provides.

But I need to know from the construction gurus on here whether it is advisable to do the decking first before setting the ground floor blocks.

Please I'd appreciate the advice of the construction gurus in the house.

Yes, you can do the decking first before doing the blockwork on the ground floor.

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by Amastermovic(m): 8:02am On Aug 28, 2020
Do you have this said building designed by a structural Engineer?

It depends on the designer motive..
But if its a frame structure sure u can do ur structural element and later arrange ur block wall or arrange ur block and do d decking when u get to that stage..

Difficult to answer professionally , do u have a structural design of d project
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by ChevyHeavy: 8:34am On Aug 28, 2020
Amastermovic:
Do you have this said building designed by a structural Engineer?

It depends on the designer motive..
But if its a frame structure sure u can do ur structural element and later arrange ur block wall or arrange ur block and do d decking when u get to that stage..

Difficult to answer professionally , do u have a structural design of d project

Thanks. Yes, it was designed by a structural engineer. BUT, he seems hesitant for me to do the decking first. It's a 5 bedroom semi-detarched duplex with 24 columns 230 by 350 each. Maybe he designed it such that the blocks would carry part of the weight of the decking and he doesn't want to disclose that to me. What do you think?
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by ChevyHeavy: 8:34am On Aug 28, 2020
segzy14:

Yes, you can do the decking first before doing the blockwork on the ground floor.

Thanks
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by Amastermovic(m): 8:46am On Aug 28, 2020
ChevyHeavy:

Thanks. Yes, it was designed by a structural engineer. BUT, he seems hesitant for me to do the decking first. It's a 5 bedroom semi-detarched duplex with 24 columns 230 by 350 each. Maybe he designed it such that the blocks would carry part of the weight of the decking and he doesn't want to disclose that to me. What do you think?

column dimension are 230mm*350mm each do u know what span this column are apart each (minimum dimension of the closest column) and maximum dimension of farer one..

The beam size is what also.. Asking all this to have a small idea on the said project how many floors..

I won't know the designer motive if I just dish out advice without understanding his/her scheme on your project.

Well you can pm me on my signature the plan and structural drawing to have a check if you wish or follow his advice jejely..

Structural recommendation is not what should be dish out without proper understanding of the scope except some extreme bad practice..
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by ChevyHeavy: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2020
Amastermovic:

column dimension are 230mm*350mm each do u know what span this column are apart each (minimum dimension of the closest column) and maximum dimension of farer one..

The beam size is what also.. Asking all this to have a small idea on the said project how many floors..

I won't know the designer motive if I just dish out advice without understanding his/her scheme on your project.

Well you can pm me on my signature the plan and structural drawing to have a check if you wish or follow his advice jejely..

Structural recommendation is not what should be dish out without proper understanding of the scope except some extreme bad practice..

Thanks
Re: Can I Do Decking Before Setting The Ground Floor Blocks? by ChevyHeavy: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2020
segzy14:

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

A Plot Of Land With 3bedroom Foundation At Elemu Bridge Isheri Isolo. (PICS) / Fully Furnished Luxury Ajah Duplex With Swimming Pool / Standard Requirements For Wall Thickness Of Door And Window Profiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.