Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,080 members, 7,931,701 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 10:59 AM

How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way (1981 Views)

Nigerian Family, The Imafidon Family Is The UK's Smartest Family (pictures) / The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School / 7 Scams Even The Smartest People Fall For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Otyemmanuel(m): 7:25pm On Aug 28, 2020
How to Study and Never Forget…Have you ever been faced with the dilemma of studying so hard for an examination or test only to get into the exam hall and your brain seems to be empty? It won’t simply regurgitate anything.

Personally I’m not convinced “studying hard” is a way to succeed academically or even remember stuff you’ve learned. Studying smart, on the other hand, is. If you want to remember what you’ve learned, you need to fight off The Forgetting Curve.

To remember thinks, you, first of all, understand the concept. The main reason why people forget is that they cram!

Please be warned: We do not encourage anybody to use cramming as a method of retention. You will forget everything.

Unless you are very lucky to be able to remember stuff having read it only once, you need to transfer the information you’re ‘consuming’ from your sensory memory (visual/auditory) to working memory and then to long-term memory.

Reading and Never forgetting does not start and end with opening a book. It goes beyond that. It begins in the classroom.

So let’s begin to look at the ways you can study without forgetting.

Start Planning from Day One
Put everything into plans and paper. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail and so does the popular saying goes. Create a plan on how you will be studying, and do not just read heedlessly, be directed. Have a timetable and schedule.

Have a Schedule
Create a schedule for studying, do not just study haphazardly, study with the organization. Create a timetable for studying and make sure that you stick to what you have for the day.

Have a Specific Place for Studying
Create a Specific place for studying, do not study or read in every corner. Stay at a specific place to read and your brain will be used to it. This way, whenever you sit down to read, your brain processes faster because of the familiarity of the terrain.

Be Focus (Avoid Distraction)
This might not be an easy thing to do as we are constantly faced with distractions everywhere. Staying focus is not easy and that is just the truth! This is why I advised that you create a specific place for studying- a place which you go to whenever you have a material to absolve. Just try and be disciplined. Some of the distractions you should avoid when reading is; Phone and electronic gadgets, television, social media, multitasking. Avoid these things as much as possible.

Read With Notes
As you are reading, make sure to write down in your own words the things you are reading. This shows that you understand what you are reading to a certain level. As you write, your brain is retaining some of the things you write down. That is how the brain is wired.

Chew Gum or Drink Coffee While Reading

Chewing gum while reading will keep your brain active and keep you from sleeping. Some researchers believe that the act of chewing gum actually allows more oxygen into your brain, which helps you concentrate better.

Read Out Aloud What You Are Reading
Read aloud what you are reading. This does not work for all people though. But it surely helps in creating an impression on your mind.

Discuss With or Teach Someone Else
This often works in a group study where you discuss what you have read with someone else or teach it to someone else. The best way to learn is to teach. This is why teachers seem to know so much about their subjects because they teach it every time.

Write out what you have to memorize
When you have memorized, try writing down the things that you have memorized and see how accurate you are. It can also be helpful to write out an outline of the materials you are trying to learn. Just the process of organizing the materials in a visual manner can help your brain recall the information in an organized manner.

Test Your Self or do an Exercise.
When you have completed your study, always do an exercise or take a short test to gauge your ability in what you have studied. Once you are done with the test, research the material again, and take another test for the things you did not remember.

Use Mnemonics
Mnemonic is a memory technique. You must have heard about this before. I have used it several times before and it has been working for me. For instance, you can remember the names of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior) by remembering the word HOMES. The first letter of the name of each lake is used to create that new word.

Create Rhymes for what you are trying to remember
This is the best way to use in teaching nursery school students. For example in remembering the number of days in the different months of the year, I was taught the rhyme- Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest are thirty-one except February alone which has twenty-eight day and twenty-nine days in a leap year! And just like that, you have grabbed the months that have thirty days.

Develop a Mind Map
What is a mind map? Mind maps are pictures and diagrams you create in your mind to remember concepts and ideas. They help show relationships between pieces of information so you can better understand the connections between different concepts or groups of data. You can create a mind map on paper, or there are computer tools to help you create them digitally.

And Finally, Sleep and Eat Well
If you do not rest, you will burn out. You need to rest your brain and eat healthy food. When you sleep, your brain converts facts from short-term memory to long-term memory. Even a short nap can help with this process. This is why it is recommended that you go for short breaks and naps whenever you are studying.

And just one addition…Listen to classical music! It will surely calm your claim after the stress of studying a voluminous material.

That’s all for now on how to study and never forget. Do you have any other tip whip you believe can help in recalling facts after reading? Please do not hesitate to share it with us in the comment section. Thank you.

Source: How to Read and Never Forge- Studydriller.com
See also: https://www.pastquestionpdf.com.ng/post-utme-past-questions-and-answers/

8 Likes

Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by JasperVII(m): 7:44pm On Aug 28, 2020
Very educating. Nice one OP. I will try what you listed, see if it works for me.
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by motherlode: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2020
Rightly said OP, I agree to the fact that studying so hard isn't a guarantee for academic success or remembering what you've learnt.

Learning is not just an act but an art. Learning process starts with first understanding what kind of learner you are.

What works for Peter might not work for Paul!

1 Like

Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Epositive(m): 10:44pm On Aug 28, 2020
motherlode:
Rightly said OP, I agree to the fact that studying so hard isn't a guarantee for academic success or remembering what you've learnt.

Learning is not just an act but an art. Learning process starts with first understanding what kind of learner you are.

What works for Peter might not work for Paul!

Exactly. Most times, reading from the inception of a semester does not cut it for me. Tests and Exams timetable are usually the driving force.
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by femi4: 8:34am On Aug 29, 2020
In summary: Cramming rules

After the exam, everything is gone
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 29, 2020
How does this method help me remember the chemical properties of:chlorine,sodium,potassium, calcium,nitrogen and its compounds,sulphur and its compounds,organic chemistry,oxygen and its compounds,phosphorus and its compounds, etc and their method of preparation?
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Walexdubia(m): 9:38am On Aug 29, 2020
Otyemmanuel:
How to Study and Never Forget…Have you ever been faced with the dilemma of studying so hard for an examination or test only to get into the exam hall and your brain seems to be empty? It won’t simply regurgitate anything.

Personally I’m not convinced “studying hard” is a way to succeed academically or even remember stuff you’ve learned. Studying smart, on the other hand, is. If you want to remember what you’ve learned, you need to fight off The Forgetting Curve.

To remember thinks, you, first of all, understand the concept. The main reason why people forget is that they cram!

Please be warned: We do not encourage anybody to use cramming as a method of retention. You will forget everything.

Unless you are very lucky to be able to remember stuff having read it only once, you need to transfer the information you’re ‘consuming’ from your sensory memory (visual/auditory) to working memory and then to long-term memory.

Reading and Never forgetting does not start and end with opening a book. It goes beyond that. It begins in the classroom.

So let’s begin to look at the ways you can study without forgetting.

Start Planning from Day One
Put everything into plans and paper. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail and so does the popular saying goes. Create a plan on how you will be studying, and do not just read heedlessly, be directed. Have a timetable and schedule.

Have a Schedule
Create a schedule for studying, do not just study haphazardly, study with the organization. Create a timetable for studying and make sure that you stick to what you have for the day.

Create a Specific place for studying, do not study or read in every corner. Stay at a specific place to read and your brain will be used to it. This way, whenever you sit down to read, your brain processes faster because of the familiarity of the terrain.

This might not be an easy thing to do as we are constantly faced with distractions everywhere. Staying focus is not easy and that is just the truth! This is why I advised that you create a specific place for studying- a place which you go to whenever you have a material to absolve. Just try and be disciplined. Some of the distractions you should avoid when reading is; Phone and electronic gadgets, television, social media, multitasking. Avoid these things as much as possible.

Read With Notes
As you are reading, make sure to write down in your own words the things you are reading. This shows that you understand what you are reading to a certain level. As you write, your brain is retaining some of the things you write down. That is how the brain is wired.

Chew Gum or Drink Coffee While Reading

Chewing gum while reading will keep your brain active and keep you from sleeping. Some researchers believe that the act of chewing gum actually allows more oxygen into your brain, which helps you concentrate better.

Read Out Aloud What You Are Reading
Read aloud what you are reading. This does not work for all people though. But it surely helps in creating an impression on your mind.

Discuss With or Teach Someone Else
This often works in a group study where you discuss what you have read with someone else or teach it to someone else. The best way to learn is to teach. This is why teachers seem to know so much about their subjects because they teach it every time.

Write out what you have to memorize
When you have memorized, try writing down the things that you have memorized and see how accurate you are. It can also be helpful to write out an outline of the materials you are trying to learn. Just the process of organizing the materials in a visual manner can help your brain recall the information in an organized manner.

When you have completed your study, always do an exercise or take a short test to gauge your ability in what you have studied. Once you are done with the test, research the material again, and take another test for the things you did not remember.

Use Mnemonics
Mnemonic is a memory technique. You must have heard about this before. I have used it several times before and it has been working for me. For instance, you can remember the names of the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior) by remembering the word HOMES. The first letter of the name of each lake is used to create that new word.

Create Rhymes for what you are trying to remember
This is the best way to use in teaching nursery school students. For example in remembering the number of days in the different months of the year, I was taught the rhyme- Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November, all the rest are thirty-one except February alone which has twenty-eight day and twenty-nine days in a leap year! And just like that, you have grabbed the months that have thirty days.

Develop a Mind Map
What is a mind map? Mind maps are pictures and diagrams you create in your mind to remember concepts and ideas. They help show relationships between pieces of information so you can better understand the connections between different concepts or groups of data. You can create a mind map on paper, or there are computer tools to help you create them digitally.

And Finally, Sleep and Eat Well
If you do not rest, you will burn out. You need to rest your brain and eat healthy food. When you sleep, your brain converts facts from short-term memory to long-term memory. Even a short nap can help with this process. This is why it is recommended that you go for short breaks and naps whenever you are studying.

And just one addition…Listen to classical music! It will surely calm your claim after the stress of studying a voluminous material.

That’s all for now on how to study and never forget. Do you have any other tip whip you believe can help in recalling facts after reading? Please do not hesitate to share it with us in the comment section. Thank you.

Source: How to Read and Never Forge- Studydriller.com
Mnemonics... I can relate
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by muller101(m): 12:38pm On Aug 29, 2020
Op when I am in a distracted environment that's when my comprehension level increases.
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 29, 2020
muller101:
Op when I am in a distracted environment that's when my comprehension level increases.

You don't need to tell us, one man's six is another man's half-a-dozen. There are exception to every rule...
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by muller101(m): 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2020
donproject:

You don't need to tell us, one man's six is another man's half-a-dozen. There are exception to every rule...
Are you the op?
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by aminusodiq(m): 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2020
That's nice op... Most of those points worked for me ..!!! I had very outstanding result using the following guides

Have a Schedule
Use Mnemonics
Develop a Mind Map
Sleep and Eat Well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by stevyhann: 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2020
Join us today....
We will help u in attaining your ACA dream

Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by CivilzedTyger(m): 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2020
We are at home and you're teaching us how to read and understand, this op no serious I swear. How will this one help me in the bakery I'm working now
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Minsk24: 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2020
Thanks OP
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Missyajoke(f): 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2020
Wonderful piece from the OP
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by lilbarracuda(m): 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2020
CivilzedTyger:
We are at home and you're teaching us how to read and understand, this op no serious I swear. How will this one help me in the bakery I'm working now
grin
CivilzedTyger:
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Horluseye(m): 10:45pm On Aug 30, 2020
[color=#770077][/color]Nice one
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by paulolee(m): 9:32am On Aug 31, 2020
thanks op...jus saved this page bcox i go need am as skul wan resume...ours de resume witj exam n brain don block
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Sirfemisky: 9:53am On Aug 31, 2020
Hello
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by ChemicalReaction(f): 12:15pm On Aug 31, 2020
For me, I understand better when I organise my notes by myself. This way, I hardly miss classes.

Thanks OP.
Re: How To Study And Never Forget | The Smartest Way by Justruescan22: 7:32am On Jun 21, 2023
You must move the information you are "consuming" from your sensory memory to working memory in order to retain it, unless you are extremely lucky to be able to remember things after having read them only once more info on TrustMyPaper our staff of expert paper writers is quite productive and consistently completes tasks on time while guaranteeing total secrecy for our consumers.

(1) (Reply)

Funny Moment Of A DELSU Female Student Getting An Ear Piercing (VIDEO) / Can Waec And Neco Be Combined For Admission? / Letz Solve These IQ Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.