Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,878 members, 7,872,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:07 AM

KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs (17679 Views)

Meet Kamoru Yusuf And Wife, Bolanle: Kam Industries Owners, Steel Mill / Access Bank Acquires Diamond Bank / Kelvin Dandy 'Obaseki' Acquires $1M Mansion In Banana Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

Well @ 27 I have been hustling abroad for few years, while ur view is myopic mine is broad cos Im seeing from afar where people believe every and anything is possible once you put ur mind into it. I have a whole bunch of friends who have gone back to 9ja to re-invest after their quest for initial capita and I must say they ain't doing bad, there are loads on Naira, check the Auto and property sections you will see them,
PS growing rice without mechanisation is just waste of time, U aint ready!this is where initial capital comes into play cos the 9ja I know, banks do not give no money people loans rather give loans to money people.
oga mechanization is nothing when u don't have the right seeds

my view is myopic because I'm in Nigeria and u are abroad ? lmao now who's myopic ...I'm and engr , have a masters in business management ....been investing since my University ...vast reader

u think mechanization is the reason our farms yield 2 ton while Thailand yield 10 ? ....lol ..Bros seeds business is a big business we are using grains from 100 years ago ...and now u can just import seeds and use because seeds now are cultured to specific environment

seeds for anambra should not be same seeds for benue or kogi or niger ...well what do I know
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by darfay: 7:08pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

3 billion that's China's 3 year production ...bro give up we don't have comparative advantage in steel

I wonder why he still dey argue....

I enjoyed both your back and forth argument especially as no name calling was involved which is unlikely of nairaland

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Okoroawusa: 7:25pm On Sep 02, 2020
geosegun:

Every developed countries in the world first achieved certain levels of self sufficiency and development before being a net exporter of a particular product.

The China example you shared above was wrong due to the fact that importing a finished product as a raw material for another finished products can never be any cheaper...

Why import a finished products when you have a massive deposits of the raw material lying fallow that you can always be mined for any end products of your likes?

There is no developed country in this world that does not have sufficient steel manufacturing plants, there is none. You know why? Industrialisation mostly depends on steel manufacturing. UK, France, the US, China, Russia, Germany, etc all have massive iron and steel manufacturing companies, that are heavily subsidised, because it is the bedrock of industrialisation and development.

For a well industrialised Nigeria that we all yearn for, we need to invest heavily in the processing and manufacturing of steel. Our rapid development depends wholly on this...think of what can be achieved with capacity development in this area. Besides, the quality of ore that we have in Nigeria is one of the best in the world. There is a particular mineral, which is used in certain part of Roll Royce and its mainly source from Nigeria.

What you are saying indirectly is that we should depends on other countries on the need of steel for manufacturing weapons of war, transportation, housing and shelters, civil engineering structures etc.

Imagine companies sourcing most of their raw materials within the country? Imagine Dangote sourcing all the refinery steel components from a steel manufacturing company in Nigeria. Now BUA? Can you imagine the amount of forex exchange that will safe? You are always shouting about Naira devaluation, don't you know that this is one if the reasons the currency is in a mess?

Lastly, the theory you stated is only applicable for developed countries. Those are countries that have fully maximized their industrialisation and due to lack of certain products or expertise would better import the missing parts than manufacturing it at home as it may not be economical. However note, they have capacities for at least 90% of manufacturing of these components. Ofcourse the 10% can be sourced from somewhere else, that have comparative advantages, to compliment what they have and this is where your quotes theory is applicable.

One more thing, what you said up there was the main reason they gave the Nigerian leaders in the 80s and the Ajaokuta manufacturing steel was abandoned and hence the nations development stalled. I was appalled to read such sentence from a supposed learned engineer. You are proposing such an obnoxious idea. I think you need to go back to school. UNN used to do better in those days and not any longer, I supposed?

NB: The major proponents of Green energy are in the UK/Europe, you know why? The north Sea host just about 1% of the world oil reserves, so they are at a disadvantage. There have been theories here and there that green energy was the best. But non paid attention until the oil price crashed and reserve was negligible and boom, they are now singing a new song on renewable energy. Those theories are only applicable to mostly developed worlds and not developing countries.

Besides, if you care to know, I am a practicing Geologist and I finished from the prestigious University of Ibadan.
Bro please pardon him. He is truly an Engineer but sometimes the IPOB part of him overshadows the engineer part.
Please forgive him. He is my brother.

2 Likes

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by rationalhuman(m): 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2020
ArcelorMittal S.A. is still The Biggest producer of Steel on this planet.

Those countries like US, Australia, Canada, India, Japan their major focus is in Special Alloys and Compound steels.
Also getting an approval for mining is nightmare in these countries, while in China only CPC decides.

Igbochief001:

we are better than countries like Australia , usa , Canada , India , Iran , Russia who could not produce as cheap as china ?
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 8:45pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

oga mechanization is nothing when u don't have the right seeds

my view is myopic because I'm in Nigeria and u are abroad ? lmao now who's myopic ...I'm and engr , have a masters in business management ....been investing since my University ...vast reader

u think mechanization is the reason our farms yield 2 ton while Thailand yield 10 ? ....lol ..Bros seeds business is a big business we are using grains from 100 years ago ...and now u can just import seeds and use because seeds now are cultured to specific environment

seeds for Anambra should not be same seeds for Benue or Kogi or niger ...well what do I know
grin grin There goes the problem of an average youth in 9ja you lot boast too much and don't do jack shyte, I have gone fro all 50 of ur post nothing backs what you just said, you only made one topic so far and it's about bashing the Yoruba people, all of your views is about Igbo v Yoruba, Nothing at all remotely connects you to the claimed utterance you said up there you are an Engr and we can't find you on the science or Auto section here, an Engineer who decided to do masters i n BAM,young man abeg go back to your shop!

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 8:46pm On Sep 02, 2020
rationalhuman:

Those countries like US, Australia, Canada, India, Japan their major focus is in Special Alloys and Compound steels.
Also getting an approval for mining is nightmare in these countries, while in China only CPC decides.

He won't know anything about all that.
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 8:48pm On Sep 02, 2020
darfay:

I wonder why he still dey argue....

I enjoyed both your back and forth argument especially as no name calling was involved which is unlikely of nairaland
it would be nice, encouraging and refreshing to get ur own view on this!

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

grin grin There goes the problem of an average youth in 9ja you lot boast too much and don't do jack shyte, I have gone fro all 50 of ur post nothing backs what you just said, you only made one topic so far and it's about bashing the Yoruba people, all of your views is about Igbo v Yoruba, Nothing at all remotely connects you to the claimed utterance you said up there you are an Engr and we can't find you on the science or Auto section here, an Engineer who decided to do masters i n BAM,young man abeg go back to your shop!
this the level u decided to drop to ...I'm done ..have fun
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 02, 2020
rationalhuman:

that's what I'm saying ...allow us import cheap steals ...then we can use to to produce things ...add nickel to make stair rails n the rest

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 8:55pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

we have weak iron deposit in Nigeria with low average concentration

that's fairly average ..but we lack the technology ....so mining steel is no no for now till we develop the tech

European steels are dead american steel is dead china rules the steel world ....the world had to beg china to reduce production

What kind of Engineer are you?
I am a mechanical Engineer who graduated far back when we had no internet, you are 27 so should be more robust cos you are just a few years ago,I gave brief parameters of where we had a deposit of ores in Nigeria, you yourself said it that Kogi was teh centre which we agreed on. There are more than 10 states with iron ore deposits in Nigeria and we have known this for more than 50 years, with new exploration who knows what we might find in the Southwest since Ekity.ogun and Kwara is rocky regions too.I believe with quick and more exploration we might have more deposit than the UK
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 8:56pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

this the level u decided to drop to ...I'm done ..have fun
yeah but it is true,U can check yourself, unless you are using an alternate Monika!
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

What kind of Engineer are you?
I am a mechanical Engineer who graduated far back when we had no internet, you are 27 so should be more robust cos you are just a few years ago,I gave brief parameters of where we had a deposit of ores in Nigeria, you yourself said it that Kogi was teh centre which we agreed on. There are more than 10 states with iron ore deposits in Nigeria and we have known this for more than 50 years, with new exploration who knows what we might find in the Southwest since Ekity.ogun and Kwara is rocky regions too.I believe with quick and more exploration we might have more deposit than the UK
Bros all our iron ore reserve is around 3 billion tones ...infact lets say the one we are yet to know add all is 10 billion tons ...that's nothing

china produce close to 1 billion tons a year ...do u now see we are not comparatively advantaged ?

u think if we where foreign companies won't come and invest

even as we are disadvantaged in crude oil production companies still came because they can sale at the international market and make profit

can u produce a ton of Steel in Nigeria for less than $500 ? can u ? let's be realistic

being a mechanical engineer have nothing to do with this ....Nigeria has no real comparative advantage in solid minerals

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

yeah but it is true,U can check yourself, unless you are using an alternate Monika!
what does my previous post has to do with what we are talking about I gave u facts and facts , showed u examples of u don't have anything to counter it accept like people have been telling u

I'm a UNN graduate oga , was drilled well in school in many areas

if u don't have anything to say goodnight
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 9:23pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

Bros all our iron ore reserve is around 3 billion tones ...infact lets say the one we are yet to know add all is 10 billion tons ...that's nothing

china produce close to 1 billion tons a year ...do u now see we are not comparatively advantaged ?

u think if we where foreign companies won't come and invest

even as we are disadvantaged in crude oil production companies still came because they can sale at the international market and make profit

can u produce a ton of Steel in Nigeria for less than $500 ? can u ? let's be realistic

being a mechanical engineer have nothing to do with this ....Nigeria has no real comparative advantage in solid minerals
you are still missing the point, there is nothing wrong in the importation, however, we import finished products, not raw materials, However, what myself and someone else is saying is simple, we need to be able to extract our own Ore to satisfy our local demand. We can then A Refine the ore or B export it.
being a Mechanical Engineer has loads to do with it cos you are mainly working with some kinda metal.so knowing its use helps
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

you are still missing the point, there is nothing wrong in the importation, however, we import finished products, not raw materials, However, what myself and someone else is saying is simple, we need to be able to extract our own Ore to satisfy our local demand. We can then A Refine the ore or B export it.
being a Mechanical Engineer has loads to do with it cos you are mainly working with some kinda metal.so knowing its use helps
no we don't need to mine our ore that's my point

Nigeria is a funny country where u are not allowed to import raw materials but are allowed to import finished products

all steel bar imports ban steel finished goods ...it's simple
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

Nigeria is a funny country where u are not allowed to import raw materials but are allowed to import finished products

Modernization began with the bronze age and this had to do with mining, Mining gives us an edge to be competitive and innovative...Like someone already said up there no modern society started without FE, having it raw would be an added advantage, Try also to see mining as a private venture, nothing to do with the FG. Cos from all indication you are seeing mining as the sole responsibility of the govt hence you are advocating for banning.
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by darfay: 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2020
erico2k2:

it would be nice, encouraging and refreshing to get ur own view on this!

The Chinese have actually spoilt the steel buiz. We never made hay while the sun was up
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Sep 02, 2020
darfay:

The Chinese have actually spoilt the steel buiz. We never made hay while the sun was up
you are talking in the context of export how about a consumer-based market ie extract, refine for our local economy with he sole purpose of being self-sufficient and while you are digesting my post bear in mind the extraction, refining and exploration of ore has nothing to do with FG
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Lithe1(m): 10:05pm On Sep 02, 2020
Nigeria is moving forward and progressing,

[/quote]

1 Day Nigerians will stop deceiving Nigerians N!GER!A

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Lithe1(m): 10:08pm On Sep 02, 2020
NGpatriot:

Nigeria is moving forward and progressing,

1 Day Nigerians will stop deceiving Nigerians

N!GER!A

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

I have spoken to a good friend of mine at work who is more into them metal works and he has given me some verifiable contents
the highest deposit of iron ore is in Australia followed by Brasil, then Russia before china. China is nowhere near half of Australia. as Australia has verified 23 Million metric tones of pure iron in its crude deposits of 48 million metric tones
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Efewestern: 11:00pm On Sep 02, 2020
Igbochief001:

we are better than countries like Australia , usa , Canada , India , Iran , Russia who could not produce as cheap as china ?

All the countries you mentioned above produce their own steel and are self reliant, even heavily sanctioned Iran has a functional steel company.

We shouldn't even be aiming for exportation, let's be self reliant, it will save us a lot of forex and also CREATE LOTS OF JOBS.

when Aladja steel company was functional, do you know how many people were employed directly or indirectly? This thinking is the reason our forebears killed everything just to import cheaper products.

3 Likes

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Efewestern: 11:06pm On Sep 02, 2020
darfay:

So because they produce cheaper steel, others shouldn't have a steel company? There's no reasonable nation without a functional steel company, even if we don't export, we should be able to meet our local demand.

Let's not even talk about the thousands of jobs that will be created should we have our steel plants working, I know how many people lived a comfortable life when Aladja steel company was still functional.

2 Likes

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by darfay: 1:22am On Sep 03, 2020
Efewestern:

So because they produce cheaper steel, others shouldn't have a steel company? There's no reasonable nation without a functional steel company, even if we don't export, we should be able to meet our local demand.

Let's not even talk about the thousands of jobs that will be created should we have our steel plants working, I know how many people lived a comfortable life when Aladja steel company was still functional.

It makes no economic sense to just have it running for the sake of it especially when importation is cheeper than local production, well except they ban importation of steel but then again Nigeria is poor with a wretched purchasing power and can we really handle the related inflation that follows it? This is another foreign rice - local rice scenario, haven't we learnt anything from it? Would Nigerians better off? Would the senseless trade off be worth it?
Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by Efewestern: 7:06am On Sep 03, 2020
darfay:

It makes no economic sense to just have it running for the sake of it especially when importation is cheeper than local production, well except they ban importation of steel but then again Nigeria is poor with a wretched purchasing power and can we really handle the related inflation that follows it? This is another foreign rice - local rice scenario, haven't we learnt anything from it? Would Nigerians better off? Would the senseless trade off be worth it?

Does it makes any economic sense to kill all our industries because we can import cheaper products from China? what have we learnt from grounding all our refineries because of cheaper importation?

Diffinitely, should we have our steel plants back, steel importation will be banned or heavy import duty placed on the importation of steel.

We are crying of high rates of unemployment, the best way to help reduce this is heavy industrialization, don't care if the products produced in Nigeria are a bit expensive, provided qualities are improved.

Remember when Nigeria was still importing cement? everyone thought producing locally wouldn't make any sense because importation was far cheaper, today we have several indigenous factories doing very well with thousands of Nigerians employed.

1 Like

Re: KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs by erico2k2(m): 9:38am On Sep 03, 2020
Efewestern:

Does it makes any economic sense to kill all our industries because we can import cheaper products from China? what have we learnt from grounding all our refineries because of cheaper importation?

Diffinitely, should we have our steel plants back, steel importation will be banned or heavy import duty placed on the importation of steel.

We are crying of high rates of unemployment, the best way to help reduce this is heavy industrialization, don't not care if the products produced in Nigeria are a bit expensive, provided qualities are improved.

Remember when Nigeria was still importing cement? everyone thought producing locally wouldn't make any sense because importation was far cheaper, today we have several indigenous factories doing very well with thousands of Nigerians employed
well said at the bolded, they seem to forget, all they want is container and container

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Changpeng Zhao: Binance CEO Tops 2024 Crypto Billionaires List / First Nigerian-made Construction Equipment In 18 Months – Muonagolu / Tranos Officially Opens Its End To End Factory In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.