Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,870 members, 7,879,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 01:35 AM

Movie Conundrums. - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Conundrums. (12166 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 9:40am On Mar 09, 2011
You shoulda put up a wager but I'll pass anyway.

Jk, I'm eager to punctuate your thoughts on Memento with 'Right? Right?'
Re: Movie Conundrums. by SisiKill1: 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2011
obinna5000:

@vescucci & Sisi_Kill
I'm still daring the two of you.  wink

40 mins into the effing movie and I still don't know what they heck is going on. angry angry

I can't believe this movie won any kind of award. Sometimes do you get the feeling critics give these kind of complicated (nonsensical) movies the thumbs up because they don't wanna appear stoopid? I'm convinced. . . CONVINCED this is the case here. angry
Re: Movie Conundrums. by SisiKill1: 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2011
Well I'm done with the movie. . .Finished it a few hours ago, then went through it chapters by chapter trying to figure out what I missed. Did that for oh say 30 mins and I still don't understand what the heck it was all about.

Did their past and future selves get mixed up in the time traveling whachumacallit?
Whose box was the real one?
Was he able to save his girlfriend?
Was his girlfriend's father from the future or the past or the present.
Why did he go into a coma?

WHAT IS THE DAMN MOVIE ABOUT?!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we aren't supposed to understand the intricacies of the time traveling stuff, maybe it's really about people and relationship. . . hey don't ask me what that means, I'm just winging it here.

Sigh! Talk about Mind Fccuk! sad
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 8:48am On Mar 10, 2011
I wanna talk to you

It seems we're getting desensitized to the very real possibility that some films actually make no sense and it's not a matter of deciphering or unraveling something hidden but they simply make no sense cuz they're senseless. Are we open to that idea? I'll check out Primer one day but generally time travel messes everything up and it's impossible not to have paradoxes.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 10, 2011
@ all. You guys do watch good movies a lot, but i wonder where you guys get these movies from cos i would love to have them too. I want to watch some movies but u cant get cos its old or nobody has it, coupled with this their useless collections.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 2:22pm On Mar 10, 2011
Most of them are downloaded. Best other bet is to watch on cable
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 8:06pm On Mar 10, 2011
@vescucci
Just becos Sisi_Kill mentioned time travel doesn't mean it will be easy to follow. cheesy
I'm blaming the complex story on bad continuity as well.
I hope u see this silly film as soon as possible. cheesy
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 7:42am On Mar 11, 2011
Time travel is precisely why it's convoluted. That's what I was saying.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 9:56am On Mar 11, 2011
YES. .I saw Memento smiley

It would be an overkill to say what the movie was all about and how beautiful it was cos you've all said it all. So i'll just go straight to my bad sides of the movie. .

Just like Lenny, I made notes while I was watching so i wont forget important details. tongue

The movie was everythin i expected, but all the theories and facts that made up the movie's very foundation stands solely on the amswer to this nagging question in my head.

If Lenny really couldn't store new memory, then how did he know he had to write things down to remember them later? How come he knew he had to remember things so he could use 'em later?. Cos the last thing he remembered was his wife getting killed. Then the memory of 'taking pictures of people and making notes about them' was a new memory. . .which means he LEARNT.!! Which makes the very premise on which the movie stands, doubtful. Or am i going overboard?

Why didn't he wake up one day, see all the pictures he has taken and wonder what they were all about? since his brain was supposed to 'refresh' everytime to the day his wife was killed.

And hey. . was his brain refreshed daily? every 2 hours? they never told us cos he was driving one time and suddenly, his brain refreshed. So no time frame for the refresh?

Ive seen plenty movies on memory loss and i'll say this, people suffering from memory loss do not know they suffer from memory loss. Becasue the memory of the memory loss is a new memory!!! A new memory that came after his wife's death. Meaning he shouldnt have known he was going to forget things, which means he shouldnt be taking pictures and writing notes.

Have you guys seen 50 First Dates? Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. This girl suffers from daily memory loss. Her brain refreshes every morning. So everytime she wakes up, she freaks out cos her sorroundings look new to her every single time! So every single morning, Adam Sandler, her husband, plays her a video of her life. . .of how they got married. So she learns everymorning that she is married. Only to sleep and wake up again and have the whole cycle repeated.

But in Memento, Lenny just continues life everytime his brain refreshes as if nothing happened. Except they tell us he wrote a note to himself to write notes to himself. . grin

If that single question can be answered, then the movie is flawless. . I love it 100%.

And Sammy Jenkins was just someone he created to shield himself from the fact that he killed his wife. .

Very nice movie. .

Vesc, Sisi. . . . grin grin
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 11:37am On Mar 11, 2011
It seems you really took your time. You really went under. Your problem with the movie is the same as mine. It lends credit to Sisi's theory of Sammy Jenkins' being him a la Shutter Island (which we should analyse again just for the hell of it). I think the fact that he shouldn't know he was suffering from a condition may be explained if you subscribe to Sisi's theory about who Sammy Jenkins is for that would mean he was taught about his condition till it got into his subconscious, that place beyond normal thoughts, till it became instinctive for him to know of his condition. It's like faith, you know while not knowing. Or deja vu. You can have a 2mins deja vu but never predict anything. Only afterwards do you go ooh, yeeaaah. Anyways, it's simply impossible to make a film where everything comes together where things like memory loss and time travel are involved.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 11:46am On Mar 11, 2011
Sammy Jenkins didnt learn not to pick up the electrified object. He kept making the same mistake every single time. That made him explain that his problem wasnt mental, it was psychological. That was why he kept giving his wife insulin till she died. He didnt learn.

But then again. . .Remember when Natalie came into the room, riled him up and made him beat her till she had blood on her mouth? Lenny knew he was supposed to write that piece of info down. He knew he had to write down that Natalie was a bad person. My question is, why was he in a hurry? And how come Natalie knew when his brain would refresh and we didnt? Cos she stepped out of the house, came back a coupla minutes later and told him Dodd beat her up. .
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 12:21pm On Mar 11, 2011
It's true Sammy didn't learn. I omitted some words in my last post. If Sammy was a true story, he can't be Lenny.

Yeah, there's no time frame apparent to us which is weird cuz it seems to be random to me like the time's traveler disappearances and not orderly like Nic Cage in Next. Do you remember one time when Dodd, I think, was chasing him and he forgot and thought he was chasing Dodd? Funniest part of the film. If you nit pick the film, you go just kill yourself. Some mistakes were made and some irreconcilable things were assumed. But it detracts little from the film as a whole. It's one of those films that you'll learn something new almost everytime you watch it again.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
Lol. Spot on! If you decide to pay attention to every little detail. . you will jus kill yourself. grin

But i think Sammy Jenkins is Lenny. The ever reminder on his hand saying 'Remember Sammy Jenkins' is hard to push away.
Yea, Jenkins might be older than Lenny but I think its a gimmick. .to throw us away totally.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 12:52pm On Mar 11, 2011
@JK and Vescucci
MEMENTO is da bomb. Its not a ridiculous film like PRIMER. grin
Christopher Nolan is the man whether he wins Oscar or not. cool
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
OMG!!! grin
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2011
justkunmi:

OMG!!! grin

@justkunmi
Why are u shining ur teeth? grin
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 1:40pm On Mar 11, 2011
Lol, you two.

JK. The remember Sammy Jenkins bit might be for his benefit. It may be for him to be able to understand his condition. It is also strategically placed for him to see. Though there are many instances where he 'came to' without looking at the tattoo. It's all good jare. The film is enjoyable and that's all that matters. What's your take on the ending er beginning?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 1:51pm On Mar 11, 2011
The ending/beginning. . where he shot Teddy? or
The ending/beginning. . where he killed the guy with the car full of money in the trunk?

either way. .i think he decided to let himself continue searching for his wife's killer cos he constantly needs to feed his hunger. He constantly needs to 'look for his wife's killer'. Because even if he eventually finds the killer, he wont have the memory that he has avenged her death. . .well, unless he writes it down.

im getting confused oh. . lol.

watyathink?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2011
The ending/beginning where he killed Teddy. I think he wanted the opposite. He wanted to stop chasing. He framed Teddy against himself so that he could get solace from killing Teddy who he'd later erroneously think was his wife's killer. He figured Teddy had it coming cuz he made him kill that gangster, from whom he got the fancy car, plenty money and stupid suit.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 3:25pm On Mar 11, 2011
@JK and Vescucci
Carrie Ann Moss' character towards the 'end' was quite dubious if u ask me. I hope u guys (guyses grin) check out PRIMER as soon as possible.

I'll try and watch DONNIE DARKO and MULHOLLAND DRIVE again.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 4:19pm On Mar 11, 2011
@obinna
wat exactly was dubious? wat did he do?

@vesc
ohh. . .thats so true. Do you know I totally forgot about that? That was why he wrote beneath Teddy's picture 'Dont trust his lies'. . Well, Teddy deserved it sef. . why stick around a guy like that? grin

And whatever happened to Natalie?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by SisiKill1: 4:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
justkunmi:

im getting confused oh. . lol.

Hahahahaha! Welcome to the club. Glad you enjoyed the movie though.

Here are my final thoughts on Momento. . .

Killing Teddy makes sense if Lenny is Sammy Jenkins. After all, it was Teddy who told him the truth about who he really is. . .that is Sammy Jenkins. Think about it, he's spent all this time looking for his wife's killer only to be told he is his wife killer. . . it's a shoot the messenger kinda thing. He can't handle the truth ( for the period he remembers it) and in that moment he sets things in motion that would lead to the death of the guy who makes him confront the truth. That it also feeds his hunt and kill hunger is an added bonus. Luckily for him, there will always be a JG. cheesy

To be honest. . . I still don't get what Natalie was all about.

@ Obinna
Saw DD again. . . It wasn't that bad. Will be back with my analysis.

Vesc
How do you wanna do it?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 4:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
Natalie was just an opportunist to drag the story. Imagine if there were several Natalies. Na another thing we go dey talk. The only other opportunist was the motel keeper who was not even all that greedy come to think of it.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 4:39pm On Mar 11, 2011
justkunmi:

@obinna
wat exactly was dubious? wat did he do?

@justkunmi
since when did Carrie Ann Moss become a 'he'? cheesy
Stop watch discombobulating films. grin
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Vieira(m): 6:34pm On Mar 11, 2011
Very important fact:

People with memory loss do know that they have memory loss.

The simple act of trying to remember beyond 5 minutes would hint you that your head is not correct.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 7:20pm On Mar 11, 2011
I've probably typed lmao only half a dozen times in my life and three are included in this sentence and one was when I was telling someone else I don't type lmao but LMAO.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by SisiKill1: 8:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
vescucci:

I've probably typed lmao only half a dozen times in my life and three are included in this sentence and one was when I was telling someone else I don't type lmao but LMAO.
Whachutalkinbout Vesc?

Vieira:

Very important fact:

People with memory loss do know that they have memory loss.

The simple act of trying to remember beyond 5 minutes would hint you that your head is not correct.
Hehehehehe good point. cheesy
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 8:51pm On Mar 11, 2011
I typed more rubbish but deleted it. In short, Vieira made me laugh.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by SisiKill1: 4:52am On Mar 12, 2011
DONNIE DARKO
Donnie Darko is a 16yrs old boy living in Middle America, USA. In addition to the usual teenage angst, Donnie is plagued with psychological problems which he sees a psychiatrist and takes meds for.  He’s also a sleep walker.

One night, he sleepwalks and ends up spending the night on a golf course. The next morning he goes home to find ambulances and fire trucks in front of his house . . . there’d been an accident the night before. Apparently, a flight engine crash landed on his bed.

After the incident, Donnie makes a new friend . . . an imaginary guy in a bunny suit with metal face. His new friend, Frank, tells him the world is gonna end in 28 days, talks to him about time travel and also leads Donnie down a life of crime.

On the day Frank tells Donnie the world is gonna end; he goes to see this old woman, who wrote a book about time travel years ago. He takes his new girlfriend, Gretchen with him.

They get attacked by two bullies who knock Gretchen unconscious in the middle of the road. A car runs over her and she dies. The driver gets out, it’s a guy in a bunny suit (it’s Halloween) . . . his name is Frank.

Donnie shots him with his father’s gun and Frank dies. Donnie carries Gretchen home, puts her in a car and drives to a cliff where he watches a tornado hit the city.

Donnie is back in his bedroom, it's the day of the flight engine incident . . . he laughs and lays on his bed.

The flight engine drops and kills him.

The end.

Ooookay. . . what’s so confusing about that?

Hahahaha. . . I kid! I kid  cheesy

Seriously though, with all the talk of time travel peppered through the movie, it’s pretty obvious what happened here. . .Donnie went back in time so he could die. If he’s dead, he won’t meet Gretchen, if he doesn’t meet Gretchen, she won’t be with him that night, get run over by a car and die. Donnie gave his life for Gretchen. How effing romantic is that?!! grin

We can also say the ghost of the future dead Frank came back in time to show Donnie what would happen if he didn’t stay in bed and get his head crushed by the flight engine. Anyway you look at it. . . someone did some time traveling. C’est fini cool

In my opinion, the only way to understand this movie is to ignore everyone else. Focus only on the scenes involving Donnie. You'll go mad trying to piece things together if you add the other characters because they added nothing to the story. I mean. . . The rebel lit teacher? The fat dancing angel who doesn't say much? The conservative gym teacher who coached the short shorts wearing sparkle Dancers?! His psychiatrist/hypnotist? The mother who always looked like she knew something we didn't? The dad who seemed to enjoy his son's antics? His older sister? His younger sister?? The old lady/one time nun turned writer who's always checking the mailbox for mail that never comes? Oh oh let's not forget the motivational speaker/Child indecency ring leader?  Seriously, what were these people doing in the movie? Now THAT is the real confusing part.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2011
@Sisi_Kill
Na wa o! U get time to dey write long reviews. cheesy
Its been a long time since I saw DONNIE DARKO so I can't say much at the moment. But I remember it being surreal and annoying. I'm planning on watching it real soon.

Offtopic: Has anyone seen BATTLE LOS ANGELES? Its been getting negative reviews of late.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 12, 2011
@ jk
he is aware of his memory loss. He has conditioned himself. His was an inability to store new memories, hence he writes down. But d thing is that writing it down confuses you sooner or later which is what happened. As for d time duration of the memory, natalie just guessed, if when she went back he was still aware, she would just go back. Damn i'm confused myself. Good movie though.
Sorry for taking us back maybe it's because i havent seen Donnie Darko.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 6:58pm On Mar 12, 2011
@Darthmaul
Nice analysis but I think Natalie knew exactly when his brain was gon' refresh. Remember the other scene at the bar where she told him to spit into a mug of beer, she then told another fat guy to spit in, and she also spat into the mug and gave Lenny to drink. And guess what, the dude drank it. Cos she knew exactly when his brain refreshes.

The movie triumphs at some points and fails woefully at others. Like him driving, his brain refreshes, and he continues driving and knows where to go.

Neways, like Vesc said, if you decide to 'understand' everything in the movie, you might just 'wound' yourself.

@sisi
Thanks for watchin DD. smiley. You jus saved me 2hours cos I'm not gon see it. Lol

@vesc
Lol. This guy, we need to talk jor. Or maybe not. . Cos its gossip sad

And has anyone seen 12 monkeys?? I have seen that movie 3 times and I still dunno what the heck the movie was all about. I jus know it starrs Bruce Willis.
Anyone with anything on it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Gotv Launches Telemundo(core Mexican/american Series Channel) Feel The Passion! / 'My Wife And Kids' TV Show / Pat Attah's Many Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.