Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,320 members, 7,920,172 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 09:09 PM

Question From A Black American About The Word Akata - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question From A Black American About The Word Akata (1520 Views)

Yoruba People, What Does Akata Mean? / The Real Reason Nigerians Call Black Americans "Akata" / Akata Planning To Relocate To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 06, 2020
I'm completely new to this site, but I had a question that pertained to Nigerians in particular and this was the #1 forum for Nigerians on Google. So, my question is, does the term "Akata" refer only to black Americans, or is it a term that is applied to any black people outside of Africa. For example, would a Haitian or a Jamaican or a black person born in the UK all be considered Akatas, or is this term exclusive to just black Americans? Thanks in Advance.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by daddytime(m): 8:31pm On Sep 06, 2020
It is supposed to refer to every black born and raised away from Africa, and could be used to describe even a Nigerian who lives outside the shores of Africa.

However, over time, it has seemed to be restricted to just the African Americans for whatever reason.

I remember how we used to refer to anyone who had traveled abroad and came back on a visit back home as "Akatarian".

Back then when I had decided to make a run for it too out of Nigeria, I and some of my mates would look at ourselves, marvel at, and refer to ourselves as " soon to be Akatarians'" even though our destination was Europe. Lol
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by alphaNomega: 8:42pm On Sep 06, 2020
Akata refers to American women who marry male foreigners for citizenship.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 06, 2020
daddytime:
It is supposed to refer to every black born and raised away from Africa, and could be used to describe even a Nigerian who lives outside the shores of Africa.

However, over time, it has seemed to be restricted to just the African Americans for whatever reason.

I remember how we used to refer to anyone who had traveled abroad and came back on a visit back home as "Akatarian".

Back then when I had decided to make a run for it too out of Nigeria, I and some of my mates would look at ourselves, marvel at, and refer to ourselves as " soon to be Akatarians'" even though our destination was Europe. Lol

Thanks! This makes more sense to me now.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 06, 2020
alphaNomega:

This definition genuinely confuses me lol
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by daddytime(m): 8:51pm On Sep 06, 2020
Crell626:

Thanks! This makes more sense to me now.

You are welcome.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by illicit(m): 7:29am On Sep 07, 2020
alphaNomega:

Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Cousin9999: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2020
Who cares?
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 07, 2020
Cousin9999:
Who cares?

What's your nationality?
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Cousin9999: 10:23pm On Sep 07, 2020
anastasius:

What's your nationality?

Who cares?
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 09, 2020
Cousin9999:

Who cares?
Me
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by OfoIgbo: 9:50am On Sep 09, 2020
daddytime:

Spot on.

And by the way, the word AKATA is not derogatory. I've heard some African Americans think the word is derogatorily used. But that is not at all the case. There is nothing derogatory about AKATA.

It's almost like saying that THE BIG APPLE is a derogatory word for NEW YORK

cc Crell626
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2020
Akata is a derogatory word that originated from the yorobers in Nigeria.

It means someone who is wild, and without culture. It's used to best describe black Americans and sometimes other blacks outside Africa.

1 Like

Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Benevento(m): 9:39pm On Sep 09, 2020
Ardar:
Akata is a derogatory word that originated from the yorobers in Nigeria.

It means someone who is wild, and without culture. It's used to best describe black Americans and sometimes other blacks outside Africa.
madam will you keep quiet?

Akata is not a derogatory word.

in Yoruba "Akata" means wild cat not "cotton picker"

back to the original poster...

Yes, Haitians, Jamaicans and other black people living outside African are also Akatas
it means a cat that doesn't live at home like a wild non domesticated cat, this is used to reference mostly African Americans as they are considered Africans by all Africans but the fact that they don't live in Africa make them akata while those of us who live at home can be considered as Ologbo (domesticated cat)

It is no different from an African American calling his buddies "cat" , it is just that the Yorubas recognize the fact that this is a cat that isn't at home.

#copied

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=akata

in conclusion, Calling Haitians, Jamaicans, And other Caribbean blacks "Akata" is plausible. (it's not only limited to African Americans).

Home base Africans = Ologbo
African Americans and other foreign black Africans = Akata.

crell626
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by gunther6(m): 2:54am On Sep 10, 2020
Akata is derogatory, an ethnic slur. If you’re asking about the etymology of the word, Akata is Gan( Ghanaian) language for Hyena.

1 Like

Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by RedboneSmith(m): 8:54am On Sep 10, 2020
Benevento:

Yes, Haitians, Jamaicans and other black people living outside African are also Akatas
it means a cat that doesn't live at home like a wild non domesticated cat, this is used to reference mostly African Americans as they are considered Africans by all Africans but the fact that they don't live in Africa make them akata while those of us who live at home can be considered as Ologbo (domesticated cat)

It is no different from an African American calling his buddies "cat" , it is just that the Yorubas recognize the fact that this is a cat that isn't at home.

#copied

in conclusion, Calling Haitians, Jamaicans, And other Caribbean blacks "Akata" is plausible. (it's not only limited to African Americans).

crell626

How can you say akata is wild cat, and in the same breath say it is not derogatory?

2 Likes

Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 10, 2020
Benevento:

#copied

crell626

You just succeeded in proving my point.
Akata means someone that's wild and that is exactly what you just said. The word is very derogatory.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by Cousin9999: 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2020
Some of you are desperate to find hatred from non-AA blacks because you want to justify YOUR hatred towards non-AA blacks.

You need to deal with your issues and brainwashing from being around whites too much. Other black people are not your problem.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by laiperi: 3:20pm On Sep 10, 2020
I have never heard that. Please keep it to yourself.

Akata has intentionally use to create problems between AA and Africans unnecessarily.

While it means wild cat v. domesticated cat, Yoruba also use it for Yoruba coming from abroad. As someone explained, it has no bitterness. Actually, some Nigerians like being referred to as Akata.

gunther6:
Akata is derogatory, an ethnic slur. If you’re asking about the etymology of the word, Akata is Gan( Ghanaian) language for Hyena.

Ada, you nor dey taya with your hatred since your Yoruba man scorned you. Find another one na.
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by macof(m): 12:06am On Sep 12, 2020
daddytime:

I think its the other way round.

That is..first used to refer to African Americans before its application to any African who has been away for so long and lost the culture. Because that was also the motif to naming the African Americans so in the first place
I say this because Afro Brazilians have always been called Aguda and referring to them as Akátá is would be wrong
Re: Question From A Black American About The Word Akata by andyanders: 6:12am On Sep 12, 2020
alphaNomega:

That is it. Just black American women.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ojij Izhi Nnodo(new Yam Festival In Izhi Of Ebonyi State / Hiv Rates In Africa / Idaamu Jamb Ati Awon Akeeko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.