Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,835 members, 7,952,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 02:35 PM

When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past (5206 Views)

Is Your Partner A Nairalander? / Can You Give Your Partner A Second Chance If Caught Cheating? / Giving Your Partner A Spare Key: Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by kanmosyl(m): 1:34pm On Jul 31, 2007
I don't allow my past to weigh me down for this
reason i throw my past of me immediately so i
don't even think about it anyday anytime cus i dont
want to align my present with the past so i dont
think my past exist.
i can only do it for reference purposes
@macutie,
well say, i cant offload my past for this reason too
Macutie:

If its something that would affect her, its better u say it soon because if u say it later she wont appreciate it. But if it has to do with you and how u lived your life bla bla bla, you first have to gain her trust then when u are sure she wont fret u can tell her! Cos then u'l just hold each other cry and she'l probably tell u everything would be fine! Be good man
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by damkollins(m): 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2007
iice:

Word! Not all relationships can sustain skeletons
lipsrsealed
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by syrene(f): 1:41am On Aug 04, 2007
there is no best time. ever! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by jasmine23: 11:04am On Mar 17, 2008
my answer is never. from experience. i once told my partner how many ppl i had been with. and the guy told me. NEVER TELL A MAN HOW MANY PPL YOU HAVE BEEN WITH BEFORE HIM. THIS DROVE MY GUY AWAY.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by blacklion(m): 1:55pm On Mar 17, 2008
I don't really want to know if how many guys my sweetheart has been with - that's ancient history

but I sure as hell want to know if -

1. she's been married before [native, church, registry, all or any of the above]

2. she has any kids before [dead or alive]

3. she has any criminal convictions

4. she has any problems with her credit history, bad debts, outstanding loans etc

5. she was into aristo grin
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Busta(f): 2:04pm On Mar 17, 2008
blacklion:

I don't really want to know if how many guys my sweetheart has been with - that's ancient history

but I sure as hell want to know if -

1. she's been married before [native, church, registry, all or any of the above]

2. she has any kids before [dead or alive]

3. she has any criminal convictions

4. she has any problems with her credit history, bad debts, outstanding loans etc

5. she was into aristo grin

#1 skeletons that kills relationships
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 17, 2008
On her deathbed. Need fear no backlash cz she can't cause no more pain. grin
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by kalmebad(f): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2008
@poster
why will people not let the sleeping dog to lie?
My past is not perfect nor is it bad,its far from my reasons here
But why digging the past,when it's been said dat old things are past away

Well i can only speak of my past if am been asked and this has to do with the level of understanding that already is in existence between the two of us, But the BIG question, are two of us ready to sing the song? cus there is no one without a past here, we all have the good and bad memories of our past
If we have a good understaanding and mind of openness,why not, it's no big deal
But sometimes, some people capitalise on using ur past to hunt u haven told them,(it boomerangs sometimes) it is in this vein i ask,why wont people allow the sleeping dog to lie and get focus to the present. I spk my mind here
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Sisikill: 4:43pm On Mar 17, 2008
Is this secret from the past going to affect your present and future with your new partner? If Yes. . .Then I'd go with ASAP but if no. . . I say what is the point of creating unneccesary drama?

Now, If it does comes out. . . you can always play it off likeĀ  "Oh that! I didn't even remember. . .that's how unimportant it is" and if they want to make a big deal about it (especially women with our "Oh I don't think I can trust you anymore, what else are you hiding from me. . .blah, blah, blah" just tell them it's not like you two had a "Confession Day" and you delibarately ommited it, it just never came up and then (this is very important, okay) punctuate it with "It's not like YOU have have told me everything from your past". . .that ought to shut them up in no time. Should you get someone who wants to start a revelation marathon instead of shutting up. . .You're on your own with that one. Sorry.

Good Luck.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Sisikill: 4:45pm On Mar 17, 2008
NiyiRocks!:

On her deathbed. Need fear no backlash cz she can't cause no more pain. grin

Tee hee hee.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 17, 2008
i think 6month of the relationship
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by opokonwa(m): 4:58pm On Mar 17, 2008
@poster
Must you spill out your life b/c you're in a relationship?
Except keeping mum about your past has the potential of spoiling the affair (like having a child out of wedlock) undecided
Otherwise, let your secret be secret.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by blacklion(m): 5:09pm On Mar 17, 2008
opokonwa:

@poster
Must you spill out your life b/c you're in a relationship?
Except keeping mum about your past has the potential of spoiling the affair (like having a child out of wedlock) undecided
Otherwise, let your secret be secret.

u don't mind marrying an ex-aristo or a babe who did time for drugs or 419?

shebi u no go vex after 10 years of marriage, u discover that your wife was once married but never told you before
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Salena: 5:21pm On Mar 17, 2008
@cheekee
I agree. The past is gone and forgotten forgiven and don't bring it up. Forgive yourself, forgive others ask God to forgive you. The bible says if any man be in Christ he is a new creatrue. old things are passed away and behold all things are become new. Also As God forgives us and throws our sins, past into the sea of forgetfulness. So be free, move on and live on.
I had an unpleasant past and it doesn't even bother me. If I get married or something like that, I would feel very comfortable not to even mention it to him. I won't and I'm sure it would not affect our relationship in any way.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Lakeside(m): 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2008
after getting a Mouth Action!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by lawyer(m): 3:43am On Mar 18, 2008
Lakeside:

after getting a Mouth Action!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Best post of the day!

Even better is after you chase the girl for donkey months and after all the shakara, the day you finally sleep with her, you now tell her about your kids from previous relationships, your Aristo lifestyle and why it cant stop, that your a terrible smoker and Value your bottle of Stout over anyone else and better still you are or was a confra boy and you have definately snuffed out the life or maimed people before.

It will be a beautiful way to pay back the chick for all her months of playing hard to get! grin
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by vanilla143: 3:09pm On Jan 29, 2009
d best time 2 tell ur partner is at the very beginning, if he or she can cope with the situation, then d relationship will continue but if he or she cannot cope, then both parties will depart which means both are not meant 4 each other.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by oblo(m): 4:51pm On Jan 29, 2009
I really think its beter to have the storm before sunshine, SOME THINGS GET BLOWN AWAY WHILE SOME THINGS STAND FAST, IF HE OR SHE GETS BLOWN AWAY DURING THE STORM THEN I THINK IT WASNT MEANT TO BE, BUT IF HE OR SHE STANDS FAST AND BRACES THE STORM DURIN AND AFTER THE STORM, HMMM DO I SMELL THE WIFT OF FRESH GLORIOUS WIND COUPLED WITH BREAKFAST IN BED FACING THE EARLY RISING SUN IN EACH OTHERS ARMS,
You sef imagine am, think am, wink
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by MrCrackles(m): 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2009
During LOVEMAKING!
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Nautillus(m): 5:54pm On Jan 29, 2009
. . .You know what . . .I say . . .Dont Tell.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by bijelee(m): 7:29pm On Jan 29, 2009
for me, its good to tell, the timin matters most. not telling can lead to sudden heartbreaks and extremes if ever any secret gets loose.
for someone u intend to be with the rest of your life, i think u should share such.
I shared one with my g/f just after we kissed as in after a very passionate experience, anyway she didn't feel too good but to me, thats the best i could have said such.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by oblo(m): 4:09pm On Jan 31, 2009
you said dat rite^^^^
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by sistajay(f): 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2009
It's best to drop da bomb shell when things are hottin up and you want to take it to the next level. If he should survive it, he'll stay.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by skullbaba: 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2011
never tell your partner your past. if he or she finds out that is it own problem
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by femmy2010(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
Tell your partner from the very start of the relationship.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by ShyOne(f): 10:24am On Jan 09, 2011
never

if he wasn't in the past with me and it doesn't affect our togetherness "today" such as "blacklion's" post (I agree completely with that writer's words - ALL OF THEM) - he will never find out

if it affects our "today" - children, status of credit, education level - tell him everything

we talked about "past bf/gf" and I didn't want to hear it (his past gfs and their activities together) - so we agreed to keep the past in the past (for us both)
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by sexy74(m): 6:11pm On Jan 20, 2011
After reading most of the post, my own answer is "The best time to tell a spouse a secret is never".
With this you save yourself the stress.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Omolola1(f): 6:14pm On Jan 20, 2011
well, its better u tell him after a while
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by omega25red(m): 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2011
you dont tell on the first date you simply wait for such discussions to come up. I mean you will try to find out about your partner and by asking questions and getting answers you can tell your own experiences too.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Pennywise(m): 6:18pm On Jan 20, 2011
In one of the programs (TV), a female death row inmate once said the only reason I am here is because of my confession.

So for peeps who just have to get things off their chest, I say be careful b/c that thing could kill you when it gets out of ur chest.
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by hottottie(f): 11:21pm On Jan 21, 2011
Well for me my secrets are my secrets the moment i tell one person is ceases to be a secret and if it gets out i don't get upset because if i didn't want Joe blogs to know i would keep my lip sealed.

My answer is NEVER. This is why i try my very best not to do anything i regret or ashamed of. Everything about you should be you,if anyone is going to be with me its warts and all.Take my advice don't have secrets wink
Re: When Is The Best Time To Tell A New Partner A Secret From Your Past by Innochris1(m): 12:13pm On Jan 22, 2011
sista-jay:

It's best to drop da bomb shell when things are hottin up and you want to take it to the next level. If he should survive it, he'll stay.

I love dat sis-J. he'll stay if he's really into you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Exposed My Girlfriend's Past And Present When She Went For Youth Service / Ladies Help! (advice thread - Cyber tea party lol) / 24 Ways To Win A Nigerian's Girl Heart. Tested And Trusted.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.