Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,270 members, 7,970,975 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:53 PM

Oil Discovered In Ghana - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Discovered In Ghana (8617 Views)

Poll: Do you care and does this matter?

Yes: 69% (30 votes)
No: 30% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Oil Discovered In Lagos / Oil Discovered In Sokoto State / Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by olutomiwa(m): 3:53pm On Jun 21, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,another OIL BOOM DOOM. grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by champredd(m): 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2007
Lets just congratulate them, and hope that the Oil is not hijacked by the multinationals who will be controlling their govt officials.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Iman3(m): 6:01pm On Jun 21, 2007
Sorry but the world is going green and I hope it does, it is inevitable that Nuclear energy will replace oil. So those who have oil should rather wake up.

The world is also going for coal,which is hardly green.China is building one new coal fired plant every 7 to 10 days.As at 2004,there were plans by,China,India and the US, to build nearly 850 new coal power plants-http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1223/p01s04-sten.htmlAn excerpt from the above link:

By 2012, the plants in three key countries - China, India, and the United States -
are expected to emit as much as an extra 2.7 billion tons of carbon dioxide,
according to a Monitor analysis of power-plant construction data. In contrast,
Kyoto countries by that year are supposed to have cut their CO2 emissions by
some 483 million tons.

58 other nations have 340 new coal fired plants in various stages of development. There is tremendous growth in global energy demand,hence there is enough room for new suppliers of energy.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by BIGBOYLARY(m): 9:57pm On Jun 21, 2007
@ ALL

GOLD WILL SOON BE DISCOVER ABUNDANTLY IN NIGERIA, so no shaking if Ghana discover Oil Yara has tell us to start looking for GOLD! GOLD!! GOLD!!! all over the Country, grin grin grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2007
@ ALL!

BREAKING NEWS:

UNIMAGINABLE GOLD DISCOVERED IN 9JA, UNIMAGINABLE GOLD DISCOVERED IN 9JA , UNIMAGINABLE GOLD DISCOVERED IN 9JA, just immediately has the strike of OIL in Oilcoast, 9JA Discovered plenty of GOLD. grin grin grin.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ejirox(m): 10:13pm On Jun 21, 2007
Good news for Ghanaians! I do hope the oil boom does not translate into oil doom for them, undecided
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2007
OIL IN WHERE IT IS A BIG LIE O!!!!

Take it from me, I'm speaking professionally as a geologist, the chances of that happening is so bleak that its hopeless,

Gold , hells yeah ghana has a lot of gold, From the western region tarkwa, obuasi e.t.c. ashanti goldfeilds, iduapriem mines, GAG, AGC e.t.c and their is still about 25 - 40yrs of gold in the country but i believe that there is more to come, but If its oil, its a hopeless venture

This is not beef talk, but ghana has no oil, just bitumem or sometin, but definitely not oil.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by debosky(m): 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2007
how can you come here and make such a definitive statement? Its people like you that put geologists and engineers to shame

have you seen the geologic and seismic data for offshore Ghana? have you studied the well logs and other data that the drilling firms collected?

Tullow International confirmed on the LSE that they have found oil, but you sit down behind your pc and tell us its a lie simply because you claim to be a 'geologist'.

in case you didnt sit down to read before commenting, the discovery is offshore in Ghana's coastal waters, not on land.

ignoramuses angry grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2007
thank you debosky, lets see them start drilling it now,

where was this discorvery made??
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by bluesky4(f): 10:27pm On Jun 21, 2007
Doesn't Ghana's ''coastal water'' belong to ghana
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2007
i stand corrected, I didnt take offshore into account
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ejirox(m): 10:31pm On Jun 21, 2007
Esss:

OIL IN WHERE IT IS A BIG LIE O!!!!

Take it from me, I'm speaking professionally as a geologist, the chances of that happening is so bleak that its hopeless,

Gold , hells yeah ghana has a lot of gold, From the western region tarkwa, obuasi e.t.c. ashanti goldfeilds, iduapriem mines, GAG, AGC e.t.c and their is still about 25 - 40yrs of gold in the country but i believe that there is more to come, but If its oil, its a hopeless venture

This is not beef talk, but ghana has no oil, just bitumem or sometin, but definitely not oil.

men!!!!!!!!! do u ever read before typing? or just enjoy typing without reading or making research?
who cares about a professional geologist  point of view or is it "typologist", there is oil in ghana men okay, read the news
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2007
What part of I stand corrected didnt you get, Ijust said I didnt consider your offshore,

You dont bloody expect me to believe something out of thin air do you?? I made a point, found out I was wrong and have corrected myself you do not have to be an ass about it,

Congratulations, What more do you want?
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by bluesky4(f): 10:37pm On Jun 21, 2007
for all those who dont believe it, why dont some1 just send a link from the news site they found this information from.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:38pm On Jun 21, 2007
I just did, thats why I said I was wrong, Its all good,

It will go a long way to diversify an economy thats based solely on gold and cocoa
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ejirox(m): 10:40pm On Jun 21, 2007
Esss:

What part of I stand corrected didnt you get, Ijust said I didnt consider your offshore,

You don't bloody expect me to believe something out of thin air do you?? I made a point, found out I was wrong and have corrected myself you do not have to be an ass about it,

Congratulations, What more do you want?
Ess the "stand" part, i have a problem with that you are sitted  if i am right, Geologist
lol tongue
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 10:43pm On Jun 21, 2007
Very interesting, cool
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ejirox(m): 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2007
So like how long will it take for exploration,  you know i am a novice in the oil stuff?
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ejirox(m): 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2007
Esss wot are u doing in france?, total elf training or what , tu parles francais
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 11:08pm On Jun 21, 2007
Depending of the size of the well, and how much development work they have done.

By now I guess they must have finished analying the core samples, which means they will be developing digital terrain models and other calculations, maybe it will be sooner than we expect,

and i am living/working in france, Schlumbeger
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by debosky(m): 11:09pm On Jun 21, 2007
Ejirox:

So like how long will it take for exploration, you know i am a novice in the oil stuff?

Reports indicate at least 6-7 years before production, more drilling is needed, before the design of the production vessel/FPSO or whatever method they decide to use, proper Reservoir Engineering studies to show how much oil is actually there/recoverable. These projects take quite some time. case in point: Agbami field discovered by Chevron in '99 is still being developed and production hasn't started.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2007
debosky whats ur profession?
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by debosky(m): 11:13pm On Jun 21, 2007
jack of all trades grin

actually I'm a Chemical Engineer with O&G bias
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 11:17pm On Jun 21, 2007
That explains your answer, nice grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by IykeD1(m): 11:33pm On Jun 21, 2007
Oh well - if they get it right, one may even consider moving to Ghana which should
make for a quicker trip to Nigeria! smiley
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 11:37pm On Jun 21, 2007
I wouldnt even consider it, although i love ghana, its so damn peaceful, but I stand a better chance in Nigeria, Just need to round up a couple of things and i'm outta here,

some of the new discoveries in the niger delta are really going to bring in alot of opportunities if only the government will intervene and quell the violence and unrest in the area.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by IykeD1(m): 11:59pm On Jun 21, 2007
@Ess

some of the new discoveries in the niger delta are really going to bring in alot of opportunities if only the government will intervene and quell the violence and unrest in the area.

I guess that is the real question. Something tells me things may get worse in the Niger Delta before it gets better. The
idle thugs have just learnt a new profitable trade called kidnapping, there is so much money in it and not unless the
federal government is ready to match it dollar for dollar, I don't see that trade ending any time soon. Like I said, if they
get it right, I will not mind moving to Ghana, hopefully before MEND relocates or establishes a franchise over there smiley
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Esss(m): 12:03am On Jun 22, 2007
But I think we as Nigerians can capitalise on this whole Kidnapping trend by simply taking over the jobs of these expartriates, That way we could actually start a gentle take over of these companies, what do u think??
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by naijaway(m): 12:53am On Jun 22, 2007
good news for ghana. Like say we be correct country like that, na us for be their first oil contractor for drilling and refinery.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by obong(m): 1:05am On Jun 22, 2007
the oil can't threaten nigeria because it's so small, but ghana can do good for their economy if they manage it well.

by the way a nigerian company found 3 times as much oil in liberia not too long ago. i wonder why that didnt make as much news

http://www.afrol.com/articles/25791
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by denex: 1:40am On Jun 22, 2007
generally, no comment.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by champredd(m): 7:09pm On Jun 23, 2007
I just hope Africans will stop this craze of looking for more mineral resources which they can not find for themselves let alone mine them. And which always bring conflicts, we need more managers (not only trained but well endowed) who can manage our resources in governments, not just some riff-raffs who will only enrich themsleves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Rejects Metuh's Bid To Stop Trial / Who Is Nigeria Number 7 To 10 Citizen? / Text Of President Buhari's Speech At The D-8 Summit In Instanbul, Turkey (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.