Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,867 members, 7,949,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 04:33 PM

I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki (1212 Views)

Peter Obi Ended Era Of Godfatherism In Anambra — Bianca Ojukwu / Wike Campaigns For Obaseki, Says "Today Is The End Of Godfatherism In Edo" / Obaseki Vs Oshiomhole: Politics Of Godfatherism Or Betrayal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Mercisharelove(f): 3:57am On Sep 13, 2020
‘I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki
Oluwamuyiwa Oyedele Oluwamuyiwa Oyedele

Desmond Elliot, an actor-turn-politician, has tackled Godwin Obaseki, governor of Edo state, saying he wouldn’t be in power without godfatherism.

The movie star, who contested and won the Surulere constituency in 2015, was speaking about his incursion into Nigeria’s political scene during a recent interview ahead of Edo election.

Elliot berated the governor for adopting “Edo no be Lagos” as his re-election mantra. He also described his own political career as being a product of godfatherism.

“A godfather always tries to look after the interest of his people. I’m a product of godfatherism but Tinubu has never for one day asked me to do something you know would be detrimental,” he said.

“It’s progressive. So, let him (Obaseki) not castigate the whole thing. If not for godfatherism, would he be where he is today? My point isn’t even about him; it’s that I want to talk about my candidate.”

Obaseki had begun to promote the slogan “Edo no be Lagos” after he ditched the All Progressives Congress (APC) to seek re-election under the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

Before defection, he met Bola Tinubu for endorsement as a candidate ahead of Edo gubernatorial election but the APC leader had referred him to the direct primaries endorsed by the party.

After the governor went through the direct primaries as recommended, he was disqualified by the committee set-up by Adams Oshiomhole, his estranged godfather, who doubles as his predecessor.

But since his defection to PDP, Obaseki’s campaign strategy to attract votes from Edo people had touched on ending godfatherism, which he said is effective in Lagos but won’t be tolerated in Edo.

Speaking further, Elliot also laughed off the context of Obaseki’s mantra that Edo won’t be like Lagos, claiming the latter shielded the state from achieving the economic prosperity that Lagos has recorded.

“But when you say ‘can not be’, you’re already putting a cover. And I’m a spiritual person. You cannot say such things. We have pastors and Imams that will break the yoke,” the actor added.

“You can’t say it won’t be when Lagos makes an IGR of over 30 billion every month. You can’t hear about unpaid salaries or pension. You see projects coming up, investors, and investment coming.

“We are the fifth-largest economy in Africa. So why will you say Edo can’t be Lagos because you are trying to sell an idea? Let me tell you something, loyalty is important.”

https://allure.vanguardngr.com/2020/09/im-a-product-of-godfatherism-desmond-elliot-tackles-obaseki/
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Mercisharelove(f): 3:57am On Sep 13, 2020
When you are born from the error relationship, you will behave like obasekiniiiiiii

2 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by EmekaMD(m): 4:09am On Sep 13, 2020
Desmond Idiot Eliot. I understand that "you don't talk while you chop" Good table manners Weldon

Lagos state generates 30billion monthly isn't inspite of "godfatherism". Infact it is despite of it.

Lagos state is destined to be the largest economy in Nigeria and beyond cos of its location and the purpose it serves for the country of 200 million people. All exports and exports. You name it.

Lagos state would have been as developed as the likes of J.burg and more other advanced cities.

You cannot explain the fact that Lagos state is still dirty and most roads untarred. Gutters over flowing with the slightest rainfall. No visible city planning.
Lagos state isn't doing well. It should not be used as a yardstick to measure development, and shamefully so cos of Alpha-Beta and "godfatherism".

8 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Goldp5988(f): 4:40am On Sep 13, 2020
Truth be told, tx for been honest.

Buth Edo people said they don't need it, I hope you get.

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by WATCHOVER(m): 5:18am On Sep 13, 2020
Very weak campaign from Desmond Elliott

3 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by bioemmy: 5:34am On Sep 13, 2020
But you didn't tackle your godfather or the act, Mr Eliot. Even if na with one nice movie.

See, when the godfatherism is favouring them, you won't here a word, but once the table turns, grin grin expect war.

Their matter na to sit down look.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Unigrad: 5:55am On Sep 13, 2020
bioemmy:
But you didn't tackle your godfather or the act, Mr Eliot. Even if na with one nice movie.

See, when the godfatherism is favouring them, you won't here a word, but once the table turns, grin grin expect war.

Desmond Eliot get voter's card for Edo State? Commissioning of toilet master. Edoites are okay with Governor Obaseki.

2 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by malele(m): 5:59am On Sep 13, 2020
Desmond shut up , u are a disgrace

2 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by davibid: 6:10am On Sep 13, 2020
Desmond Elliot is disappointing me seriously
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Exmilitant(m): 6:17am On Sep 13, 2020
Who is Elliot Desmond? Never heard of her.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by ecolime(m): 6:18am On Sep 13, 2020
The only thing Desmond has is an handsome face. He speaks like an idiot right from time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Monjerk: 6:26am On Sep 13, 2020
So everyone should follow the same line with you.

Godfather in politics is not a must.

Edo people don’t want it.

So let them be, do not force it down their throat.

4 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by chinjo(m): 6:32am On Sep 13, 2020
The reason why you are called Desmond Idiot

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Benwallt(m): 6:33am On Sep 13, 2020
That's why your best project is toilet and hand sanitizer.

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Oracleforce: 6:41am On Sep 13, 2020
bioemmy:

Masses are politicians puppets...they know our code of using us for their selfish political ambition...and once they have achieved their aim they dump their followers like sachet water nylons...
Edo no be Lagos...how I wish Obaseki can campaign against godfatherism 4 years ago...how I wish he can be disloyal to oshimole 4 years ago...
It provoked me, when I see some key-pad warrior supporting political ruse and gimmick....some of them are not wise.. I'm sure if Obaseki is re-elected, after four years of his tenure, the slogan will change dramatically....because he will definitely have at least one anointed son to be installed as the governor of Edo State....
Edo state, e ronu oh....
Naija be wise

2 Likes

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by WonderManly(m): 6:42am On Sep 13, 2020
Before nko!.. Birds of a feather!
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Benwallt(m): 6:44am On Sep 13, 2020
It is a ripple effect. At one point, his supposed godfather was amplifying the mantra kill all godfathers in Edo politics now he wanted to be what he openly condermed. I say no, no no, no no no no no no, godfatherism wee not want again, na democracy we dey want, Oshiomole fvkd Edo state taya before he go...........
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Mercisharelove(f): 7:15am On Sep 13, 2020
Follow
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by ovieigho(m): 7:21am On Sep 13, 2020
Congrats
God father pikin

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Afolabimills(m): 7:26am On Sep 13, 2020
Desmond idiot
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Dedetwo(m): 7:30am On Sep 13, 2020
EmekaMD:
Desmond Idiot Eliot. I understand that "you don't talk while you chop" Good table manners Weldon

Lagos state generates 30billion monthly isn't inspite of "godfatherism". Infact it is despite of it.

Lagos state is destined to be the largest economy in Nigeria and beyond cos of its location and the purpose it serves for the country of 200 million people. All exports and exports. You name it.

Lagos state would have been as developed as the likes of J.burg and more other advanced cities.

You cannot explain the fact that Lagos state is still dirty and most roads untarred. Gutters over flowing with the slightest rainfall. No visible city planning.
Lagos state isn't doing well. It should not be used as a yardstick to measure development, and shamefully so cos of Alpha-Beta and "godfatherism".

You could not be more correct with the bolded. How could the shithole called Nigeria develop when people seemingly in control of its destiny are flippantly idiotic?
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Dedetwo(m): 7:33am On Sep 13, 2020
ecolime:
The only thing Desmond has is an handsome face. He speaks like an idiot right from time.

All thanks to Igbo woman as a mother.

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Yankee101: 7:34am On Sep 13, 2020
Don't sell your soul or even ass* for power
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by jude79(m): 9:27am On Sep 13, 2020
Desmond Elliot? Is she not one of the slay queens that act in Nollywood.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Mercisharelove(f): 10:17am On Sep 13, 2020
You
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by jude79(m): 10:26am On Sep 13, 2020
Mercisharelove:
You

Yep, me, I know you watch Nollywood a lot, you must have known her.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Lovelive: 1:29pm On Sep 13, 2020
ecolime:

Reason why his comprehensive name is Desmond Idiot.

1 Like

Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by horia: 1:52pm On Sep 13, 2020
I don't stand against Godfatherism, I stand against bad godfatherism. Obaseki made his decisions because of what he saw. During campaigns people say a lot of things but Eliot fully understands what Obaseki meant by that statement and for a young politician like him

Mercisharelove:
‘I’m a product of godfatherism but Tinubu has never for one day asked me to do something you know would be detrimental,” he said.“

Let's stick with this to be the point he's trying to prove.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by IamWonderful: 1:57pm On Sep 13, 2020
A river that forget it source will definitely dry up, obaseki is a product of godfatherism
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by lagdmark(m): 2:05pm On Sep 13, 2020
Sisi Elliott has no political relevance in Lagos, he's better known in the movie industry and in political arena.
Re: I’m A Product Of Godfatherism’ — Desmond Elliot Tackles Obaseki by Mercisharelove(f): 3:00pm On Sep 13, 2020
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

People That Ordered Lekki Massacre / “govt. Offered Survivors Of #lekkimassacre N5 Million Each To Keep Silent” –.... / Will The Igbos Team Up With Yoruba In Time Of War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.