Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,174 members, 7,884,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 12:21 AM

The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming (1421 Views)

Ambode's Gifts To Vulcanizers Are Springing Up All Over Lagos (PHOTOS) / 7 Unethical Things Vulcanizers Do That Car Users Don't Like / Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 15, 2020
I own an Acura MDX SUV and after suffering two tyre mishaps I urgently needed two new tyres. I didn't have the money to buy two brand new tyres so I thought I should make do with two tokunbo tyres pending when I am ready to get two brand new tyres. To achieve this and to ensure I got good products, I asked my vulcanizer to accompany me to Ladipo.

My vulcanizer contacted his regular supplier of tokunbo tyres and when we got there, the seller brought out two tokunbo continental tyres. A quick inspection revealed "winter tyres" boldly written on them.

If you know about tyres I am sure you will know that winter tyres cannot be used in Nigeria. Driving winter tyres in the summer or in a hot climate like in Nigeria can wear them out faster and cause them to blow out (burst). This is because the rubber compound in winter tyres is designed for colder conditions, not warmer temperatures. It however appears so many tyre dealers and vulcanizers are unaware of this facts.

So back to my story, both the seller and my vulcanizer insisted that there was nothing wrong in using a winter tyre in Nigeria but I stood my grounds. We checked the entire ladipo and in every dealer we checked, 8 out of 10 tyres were winter tyres with the inscription "winter tyres" clearly inscribed. What worried me was that both the sellers and vulcanizer insisted that they have been selling these winter tyres to customers and that it doesn't matter. I then understood why so many complain about tyre blowouts regularly especially when traveling interstate.

Please arm yourselves with enough information whenever you want to buy tyres. Watch out for the type of tyre and ensure you are not buying winter tyres to be used in our hot climate. Also watch out for the Temperature rating, threadwear, speed rating etc. Don't just buy any tyre because you are told it is okay. The seller is only interested in his money.

Thank you.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by Nbotee(m): 8:04pm On Sep 15, 2020
Welcom to Nigeria.. Where ur vulcanizer will pump ur tires to 40 all round and tell u 'Na so e suppose dey"

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by daddytime(m): 8:39pm On Sep 15, 2020
Very informative.

Half the deaths on our roads are avoidable deaths due to ignorance and illiteracy for the most part.

Welcome to Nigeria where Kazeem go remove your ABS tell you say " oga e no mean anything".

Foolish people.

4 Likes

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by Mottomata(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2020
Please get a tyre gauge for personal use. As most vulcanizers will pump above the recommended tyre pressure.

2 Likes

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by CAPSLOCKED: 11:01pm On Sep 15, 2020
RESPECT TO THOSE GUYS BUT THEIR IGNORANCE CONTRIBUTES TO MANY ROAD ACCIDENTS (TIRE BURSTS) ANNUALLY.

1 Like

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by baconline(m): 2:47pm On Sep 16, 2020
I have had the same issue in ladipo, I simply just walked away and bought brand new tyres, when I was telling them these tyres can't be used here u need to see the way they looked amazed

2 Likes

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:54pm On Sep 16, 2020
Nbotee:
Welcom to Nigeria.. Where ur vulcanizer will pump ur tires to 40 all round and tell u 'Na so e suppose dey"

Your own better. One tell me say na 45 this week.

1 Like

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by sexyto(m): 3:39pm On Sep 23, 2020
This quite unfortunate, if you are using winter tyres here, don't use it for inter-state travels and don't over-inflate,the air will expand during hot weather and that causes the blow out, I know it's wrong but that's what I sadly been using for years now.
Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by connkg(m): 4:31pm On Sep 24, 2020
But these tyres came in, now? They were largely imported.
Do Entry Point inspectors not see them?

1 Like

Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by Presegs(m): 7:40pm On Oct 15, 2020
Gazzuzz

Gazzuzz

Gazzuzz

Hope you are not selling such Tokunbo tyres that you have been marketing.
Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2020
Presegs:
Gazzuzz

Gazzuzz

Gazzuzz

Hope you are not selling such Tokunbo tyres that you have been marketing.

But you used them from Lagos to Abuja and you are back to Lagos again?

Why complain ?
Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by dicksonadams(m): 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2020
Lolz
Re: The Level Of Ignorance Of Vulcanizers And Tyre Sellers In Nigeria Is Alarming by Presegs(m): 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

But you used them from Lagos to Abuja and you are back to Lagos again?

Why complain ?

I bought four brand tyres to it from Lagos before taking it to Abuja.

I, Legalwealth don't use tokunbo tyres and I will never use them by God's grace. See them besides the said car you are assuming I took to Abuja and back to Lagos with the tyres that came with it.

(1) (Reply)

Volkswagon Jetta 07 Going / Audi/VW Computer Software / 'three-legged' Car Seen On Lagos-abeokuta Road This Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.