Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:51 AM

Religion In Igbo Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Religion In Igbo Marriage (652 Views)

Who Inherits The Deceased Mother's Property In Igbo Family. / How Important Is Religion In Marriage / My Kid Doesn’t Need Religion To Excel In Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion In Igbo Marriage by RareDiamod: 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2011
Hi people,

Just wanted to get some views on this one,

Can someone tell me whether, in Igbo tradition a women must follow her future husbands religion, even though it may not be the right one for them, just because he is the man! undecided
Re: Religion In Igbo Marriage by r231(m): 9:58pm On Feb 26, 2011
Yes
Re: Religion In Igbo Marriage by RareDiamod: 11:45pm On Feb 26, 2011
Lol R231 - straight to the point right!

I don't believe that just because tradition says it is so that it is right; ESP if the man is not against the womans faith! but feels that he will be less of a man if he were to follow her faith - thus consumed with the "because I'm the man syndrome".
Re: Religion In Igbo Marriage by Blazay(m): 12:52pm On Feb 28, 2011
It does not matter.
As long as there is money involved. cheesy

a women must follow her future husbands religion,

Two of our 'meghads' in Nigeria just performed wine-carrying ceremonies on 2 Igbo ladies from the East(Owerri) to be exact(who were always coming to sleep in our compound for months. . . .with 50,000Naira to purchace rice, goats, and some tinned tomatos e.t.c.) grin

Funny thing. . .they young men previously married young girls from the North(they had abandoned after marriage to come back to the South. . .only to be impregnated by other men in the North in their absences). Quite difficult to say what kind of religion they'd be practicing in their homes. My mom is visiting. . . when she wakes up, I will ask her.

Ooooooooooooh I just asked her and she said:

"Hmmmmmmm. . . I nor follow dem go o!
I tell them say my hand nor dey for h-inside o!
I nor know which wan be Christian and which wan be Mooz-lum.
Sha-sha. . . sometimes dem say dem dey go mosque. . .some times them say dem dey go church."

What religion in the final analysis is anyone's guess. . . at the right price.

[size=16pt]LWKMD!!! [/size]
Re: Religion In Igbo Marriage by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2011
Blazay:

It does not matter.
As long as there is money involved. cheesy

Two of our 'meghads' in Nigeria just performed wine-carrying ceremonies on 2 Igbo ladies from the East(Owerri) to be exact(who were always coming to sleep in our compound for months. . . .with 50,000Naira to purchace rice, goats, and some tinned tomatos e.t.c.) grin

Funny thing. . .they young men where previously married young girls from the North(they had abandoned after marriage to come back to the South. . .only to be impregnated by other men in the North in their absences). Quite difficult to say what kind of religion they'd be practicing in their homes. My mom is visiting. . . when she wakes up, I will ask her.

Ooooooooooooh I just asked her and she said:

"Hmmmmmmm. . . I nor follow dem go o!
I tell them say my hand nor dey for h-inside o!
I nor know which wan be Christian and which wan be Mooz-lum.
Sha-sha. . . sometimes dem say dem dey go mosque. . .some times them say dem dey go church."

What religion in the final analysis is anyone's guess. . . at the right price.

[size=16pt]LWKMD!!! [/size]

Lol . . . cheesy cheesy

Madness in practice! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Would You Give Back The Child / Ladies Finishing School / Help On Choice Of Diapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.