Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,314 members, 7,971,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 12:17 AM

Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ (245 Views)

Election: Edo Youths Nab, Torture APC Thugs / "Edo Is Not Lagos": Obaseki's Bill Of Insult On Tinubu - By Ini Akpan Morgan / Idahosa: Edo Is Not Lagos, Obaseki Won't Chicken Out Like Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ by branhampaul: 3:14pm On Sep 20, 2020
LESSONS LEARNT: EDO STATE 2020 GUBERNATORIAL ELECTION; EDO IS LEADING TRUE DEMOCRACY IN NIGERIA.

by
B. PaulPipAr Chima.

The Edo State governorship election has just been concluded. Like most people will say, Edo has really shown that it is not Lagos. The people of Edo State stood boldly and said "enough is enough for Godfatherism".
From the whole starting, leading, to the finishing of the Edo State election many lessons have been learnt - indelible and worthy lessons I must say. These lessons are made mentioned in this article.

1. DEMOCRACY IS MOVING TO THE PERMANENT SITE.
I have no dispute that the recently conducted Edo State Election has given us an indicia into the times that democracy is getting better in the Nigerian polity. The turnout of people who voted was massive, and like most persons who were interviewed said, this is the only Edo State Election so far where a lot of people were involved in the voting process. This, no doubt is an indication that people are getting to know their duties under a democratic system as Nigeria practices.
Democracy is a form of government where the people choose their leaders and are allowed to voice their opinions on issues. It is such a beautiful concept. No doubt, with the way things have turned out in this Edo Election, I am sure that other states will have same motive and desire to churn out massive people to participate in their respective electoral processes.
However, for the stride to keep being as it is and getting better, the security of voters just be guaranteed by the government. No body will be willing to go vote when he is not sure of returning home. Life comes before election as it is only he who is alive who can enjoy the fruits of the government he intended to win.
The number of people who really participated in the Edo State election is no doubt a big indicia that the people are now getting conscious of their rights and civic duties.
Plus, kudos to the allowed observations by agents of several media outlets which enhanced the free flow of information via social media and television.
Democracy is getting to stay in this great Nigeria polity.

2. PRESIDENT BUHARI IS A TRUE STATESMAN AS REGARDS STATES ELECTIONS.
Apart from the usual support given to his party as is expected of every party person, President Buhari maintained neutrality and never openly endorsed a candidate. Many expected and wanted the President to employ federal might but Buhari was bigger than such and he disappointed them. Such is the true nature of a statesman - maintaining neutrality and not trying to subvert the people's will via federal might. Those who expected President Buhari to indulge in "rigging" were highly disappointed. So sorry for them!
Every future President should endeavour to emulate President Buhari and not involve or invoke federal might to influence regional/states politics.
Buhari is a statesman indeed, despite the hatred you may have for him. President Buhari deserves respect for this gesture of his; keep tribalism and religion aside.

3. WE VOTE INDIVIDUALS NOT PARTIES.
Godwin Obaseki, the PDP candidate, came in during his first tenure via the platform of the APC. The Edo People voted APC that was why he came in as the governor in his first tenure. President Buhari came in at the first and returned again as the president because people voted the party called APC, which goes to show that as at then the APC was enjoying massive wins.
This recently concluded election which Godwin Obaseki contested under the platform of the PDP and which he gained massive support showed that people where more interested in the governor than whatever party.
One must take note that the PDP has received condemnations from electorates in prior elections which made APC gained fame.
Flowing from the victory in the recently concluded Edo State election, It will be reasonable to say that Nigerians have graduated from the stage of voting party and are now more interested in the person contesting via that party.
No doubt, party has an influence in governance, but no greater doubt that the ruler with his doggedness and resolution determines the progress of the people.
I can simply conclude that Nigerians have come to the decision in this country that the person contesting is greater than the party itself, and influences more.
If Obaseki had contested under APC, no doubt he would have still garnered the votes he gained during this election.
So it has come to stay, it is the individual and not the party that matters. Political parties must henceforth learn to present credible candidates in order to win the people's votes. Nigerians nor be mumu again. As people will popularly say, our mumu don do.
In fact, Ize Iyamu who changed party, maybe thinking he would gain massive supporters, did not scale through. Party is no longer the deal.

4. VOTE BUYERS AND SELLERS.
The Edo State election really showed that there are still some persons among us who are still ignorant as to the threats to the nation the exercise of buying and selling of votes present. Much blame must be put on those who sell their votes - no justification can be given for such act. It is barbaric and unprogressive. When one sells his vote, one is selling his future, and the state's future.
A governor that bought his way to the government seat is more likely never to be accountable to the electorates or be responsible to them.
First, on getting to office the aim of that governor is to get back all he has spent in buying your votes; and when such governor is concerned with recuperating, how can such governor work and better the lives of the average man? The only answer is that: he cannot! So we must shun vote buying and selling, especially selling.
Some have argued that the reason for vote selling is poverty. But I do not beg to differ, I strongly differ with such contention. An hungry man knows why he is hungry! An hungry man knows that the money given to him is temporary and cannot actually solve his problem! An hungry man knows that a good government can make good policies that can take him completely out of poverty - as it is the responsibility of government to provide the setting for gainful employments.
I know of poor people who rejected selling their votes and I can point them out if given the chance.
Some Nigerians sell their votes out of indecisiveness, ignorance of its repercussions, and greed. Greed is the bigger issue. Some Nigerians are greedy. Contentment is the problem of some Nigerians. Some Nigerians are in love with money. And giving oneself for the love of money is a total disgrace and a cankerworm. No one can properly argue that the some who sold their votes were all hungry! That is the fact! Some might be hungry (which in itself is no justification), while the other amount who sold their votes are either indecisive, or greedy.
But with no doubt, the vote selling issue is gradually coming down when compared with prior elections. This points to the fact that people are becoming more aware of their roles in the society and the cankerworm voting selling breeds.
You and I can only wish for a better Nigeria where vote buying is completely eradicated. Some Nigerians, who I know very well, were offered money for their votes but these persons rejected the money. Such must be applaudable. Some persons I do not know testified that they voted their choice despite collecting money. But in all, vote buying must be eradicated fully. Though there are sanctions currently for the selling and buying of votes, I suggest that more stringent laws be introduced and publicised.
Vote buying and selling is anti-democracy as it gives false results of the electoral processes.

5. NO POLITICAL LANDLORDS/TENANTS.
The people of Edo State basically voted Godwin Obaseki, the PDP candidate, as a way of sending a message that Godfatherism is dead and is buried forever.
Some people said, Oshiomhole thought he could impose on the Edo people a candidate that he will be controlling, but disappointment wrote him an appointment letter.
Edo State has set a precedent for other states and the country at large to emulate. The Government belongs to the people and not some persons. Godfatherism is an unprogressive and disgraceful concept. It promotes the will of the few other than the will of the people. Godfatherism places the people second, instead of first. Godfatherism cannot make democracy flourish, so it must be condemned outrightly. And the good people of Edo state has led the nation in this stride.
Lagos need to learn and emulate Edo State. Other states where Godfatherism is striving must learn from the Edo people. Edo has set a pace - push the Godfathers out with your votes; they must not be allowed to breed and breath in our government. The governor or ruler should be accountable to the people only, but Godfatherism is an antithesis of this. So Godfatherism must die by fire by force! In a democratic society, there are no political landlords, only the political will of the electorates. And, any politician willing to associate with a known imposing godfather must count his teeth with his tongue.
My great people of Edo State, we have done well. We have set a precedent, that even the Supreme Court must follow, lol.

6. YOUR ASSOCIATION MATTERS.
Not to write long on this, the association one associates with matters. Oshiomhole was taken by the people to be a betrayal and a person who talks from both sides of the lips. He can no longer be trusted, someone said.
Like an Edolite argued, how can a man condemn a candidate in 2016, then endorse that candidate in 2020?
Such is a sign of hypocrisy! No body likes a hypocrite - such is the truth even though many are hypocrites! Ize Iyamu partnering with Oshiomhole really dealt him several blows. The dented image was rubbed across both of them, like oil that surely spreads from one finger to others, staining them.
To me, the election was more like, the Edo people against Oshiomhole. It was a time to say no to Godfatherism! A time to say "Edo nor be Lagos"! Many people saw Ize Iyamu winning, as Oshomiole winning himself. This can no doubt be a lesson to all students of life that the association one keeps really affects one's outcome in political sphere.
Keep a credible association! Every political interested person must be mindful of this fact.
Once a people do not like a Person A, and Person A is associating with Person B; no doubt, more or less, Person B will be disliked. Ize Iyamu may have done better if not for Oshiomhole siding him after condemning him. Such is my thoughts.

7. SENTIMENT PLAYS A BIG ROLE IN POLITICS.
This is a known fact, but I wish to buttress on it a little. Most Edo people disliked Oshiomhole. Disliking is sentimental - because a person can be disliked but still effective in leading. However, in politics nobody cares about such logic. It should not be a surprise. People want who they like to be at the helm of affairs.
Oshiomhole made Ize Iyamu disliked in the 2016 election. Such was not enough. Like someone said, Oshiomhole made himself disliked by interfering in Edo politics and trying to act like the landlord of the State. So, as it was time for this election, the dislike played a big role in making Godwin Obaseki win.
Like I will always say, many people voted for Godwin Obaseki, not even looking at competency, because they disliked Oshomiole and his associate: Ize Iyamu. No more or less.
Sentiment is a great factor is Politics. Godwin Obaseki appeared tormented. Godwin Obaseki appeared like the oppressed person. And guess what, it went in his favour. I shall say no more.

8. INEC HAS A LOT TO IMPROVE.
INEC, the Independent National Electoral Commission, as a conducting body for Nigeria elections must upgrade. The hearing of failing card readers is a disgrace and should not be heard of! The hearing of workers who were not paid is a disgrace and should not be heard of! A worker who has not been paid is very susceptible to bribe from political parties. INEC must do well to make sure that they do not put their workers (including ad hoc staffs) to temptations.
Such in the improvement will be a stronger fold against election "magomago". INEC as a body has a lot to improve on, I cannot spell out the improving items one after the other as it is known by many and even INEC itself.
For gawds sake, the electorates are entitled to a better electoral process, not the jamboree currently being exhibited by INEC. INEC must itself start embracing technology in a wider scope. It is possible to have voting done via internet, and Nigeria can lead the pace because we are very capable.

9. SECURITY AGENCIES.
Like INEC the security agencies have to improve with great edge, especially in the aspect of pay. Security agencies head must not send a policeman to the field without him being paid. A hungry man cannot work effectively, and as humans that they are, they are susceptible to be bribed. The welfare of the security agencies must be taken care of. There are interviews with security men, scattered on the internet, for this recently conducted election showing that they have not been paid by the government, and they are more or less working like they are pro bono agents.

10. PDP MIGHT WIN PRESIDENCY 2023.
If the PDP presents a good candidate, I can make an assurance that PDP will win 2023 presidency. The APC currently looks tiring to the major Nigerian electorates, and amidst fight in the ranks of the APC hierarchy. I shall say no more, or I shall say more as we approach 2023.

11. DESMOND ELLIOT HAS OPENED HIS "NYASH"
Desmond came to Edo state to tell the good people of the state that Godfatherism is good. I wish to say that this young chap, who perhaps does not know how to count is letters, has retired himself from public politics. His wordings will forever be used against him. Desmond Elliot openly endorsed Godfatherism - a cankerworm to democracy! I am ashamed of him. I do not wish to write more on him as I will bestow on him more popularity, but I wish to tell you that your words will surely hunt you down. Nigerians are not fools. The internet has come to stay. You retired your just started political ambitions. It is a shame. Sometimes I feel ashamed of some youths.

The above are some lessons that I culled from the recent Edo State governorship election.
May Edo State be great!
May Nigeria be great!

Re: Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ by ecolime(m): 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2020
This is the week of "Lessons learnt"... lol

Motivational speakers don hammer
Re: Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ by Justpassingby45(m): 3:30pm On Sep 20, 2020
Well said,

1 Like

Re: Lessons Learnt: Edo State 2020 Gubernatorial Election; Edo Is Leading True Democ by branhampaul: 8:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
lalasticlala
frontpage grin grin

(1) (Reply)

"There Is Unprecedented, Phenomenal Development In Ebonyi State" - Ohanaeze / Atiku Abubakar Independent Volunteer Movement (ativm) Congratulates Gov. Obaseki / UK Govt Condemns Nigeria’s Criticism Of Visa Ban Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.