Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,055 members, 7,970,258 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 03:19 AM

Doctors Call Off Strike In Bauchi •after Release Of Detained Colleague - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Doctors Call Off Strike In Bauchi •after Release Of Detained Colleague (530 Views)

Victor Umeh Entrance Into Anambra State After Release - Photos / Buhari’s Team Changes His Official Portrait Just One Week After Release (LOOK) / Jonathan Orders Release Of Detained Terrorists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Doctors Call Off Strike In Bauchi •after Release Of Detained Colleague by jostincity: 9:35am On Mar 04, 2011
Doctors call off strike in Bauchi •After release of detained colleague

| Print | E-mail

Written by Ishola Michael, Bauchi
Friday, 04 March 2011

MEDICAL doctors in Bauchi State, on Thursday, called off their strike, following the release of the medical doctor in charge of Boto General Hospital, Dr Adamu Sambo, by security operatives in the state.

The doctors had embarked on strike on Monday, to demand for the release of Dr Sambo, who was arrested by operatives of the Plateau State Special Task Force (STF).

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/18426-doctors-call-off-strike-in-bauchi-after-release-of-detained-colleague

Dr Sambo was arrested by soldiers, on Friday, last week, after he treated patients with gunshots wound, but the state chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) began strike after the ultimatum given for the release of the colleague lapsed.

The state chairman of the association, Dr Abdullahi Ibrahim, told newsmen in Bauchi, on Thursday, that, “we are happy for the release of our colleague. We have called off our strike,” adding that doctors in the state had resumed duty in all parts of the state.

He said they association was grateful to the state government and the emir of Bauchi, including others who ensured the release of Dr Sambo.

Speaking with newsmen after his release, Dr Sambo said “I spent five days in the hands of State Security Services (SSS) in Plateau State. They asked me if there is connivance between myself and the suspect, but I told them that the suspect was brought to me by the officials of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, Tafawa Balewa Local Government branch, as one of the seven people they declared missing after the last crisis in the council.”

Dr Sambo added that “before we lay our hands on the victim, we tried to inform policemen in Boto, but we didn’t get through to them, so I sought for permission from my superior officers in Bauchi, but, unfortunately, we could not save his life, as he died in the process.”

He then thanked the state government, Bauchi emir and his colleagues for the roles they played and for their support for him.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Army Discover Explosives-laden Truck / Free And Fair Elections: Do They Actually Guarantee Credible Leadership? / Osun Probes N1.7bn Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.