Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,572 members, 7,875,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 09:12 AM

USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) (1782 Views)

Redmi Note 10 And Note 10 Pro Unboxing And Speed Test / Save Battery, Storage And Data With These Lite Versions Of Your Favorite Apps. / Whatsapp To End Support For Some Versions Of Android And Ios Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 1:28pm On Oct 08, 2020
USB versions and speed standards refers to the generation and the speed at which data can be transferred through the USB port or cable.

First generation

The first version is the USB 1.0. It was released in 1996 and it is ancient by modern standards. It is very slow, with data transmission speeds of just 1.5 Mbps. You will hardly find any device using this version of USB today. If you do, that device is most likely in a museum. Due to it’s shortcomings, a minor upgrade called the USB 1.1 was released in 1998. USB 1.1 had speeds of up to 12Mbps and performed better than the 1.0.

Second generation

In 2001, the second USB version called USB 2.0 (High Speed) was released. USB 2.0 is still the version used on many smartphones today. USB 2.0 had three speed tiers. It transmitted data at 1.5Mbps (low speed) for low powered peripherals like wired keyboards, mice etc. 12Mbps (Full speed) was used for printers, photocopiers, flash drives, phones etc. 480 Mbps (High speed) was mostly used for data transfer.

USB 2.0 introduced many modern USB norms, including support for Mini and Micro USB cables, USB OTG, USB hubs and more. It is the slowest speed of USB still used today. You’ll find it used on cheap flash drives, devices like mice and keyboards, and similar. Most phones and computers today use USB 2.0 ports.

Third generation

USB 3.0 (Super speed) is the current standard for USB speeds. It was introduced in 2011. It is much faster than USB 2.0, and thus recommended for devices like external hard drives. USB 3.0 runs at a blazing 5Gbps. In 2014 and 2017, USB 3.1 and 3.2 (Superspeed+) were released as updates to the standard 3.0 and they were even much more faster.

You can typically identify a USB 3.x port or connector by its blue coloring. Many USB 3.0 ports also have an SS symbol (which stands for Super Speed). Most new computers have at least one USB 3 port, and all good-quality flash drives use this standard.

Fourth generation

USB 4.0 (Superspeed+ and Thunderbolt 3) was released last year (2019) and it transfers data at double the speed of USB 3.2. USB 4.0 transfers data at 40Gbits per second. It can only be found on the high end PCs, laptops and smartphones (probably).

Below are the various USB versions and speed standards in tabular form.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/10/08/usb-versions-and-speed-standards/

visit my telegram channel for free smartphone tutorial if you are a smartphone novice and YOU'RE WILLING TO LEARN. (t. me/inquisitiveuniverse)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Hakeem12(m): 2:11pm On Oct 08, 2020
Wonder why most OEMs have stuck with 2.0, didn't even know there was 4.0

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 2:17pm On Oct 08, 2020
Hakeem12:
Wonder why most OEMs have stuck with 2.0, didn't even know there was 4.0

It's cheaper lol, and it still supports most of the new USB tech.

The only problem 2.0 has is it's speed deficiency.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Hakeem12(m): 2:20pm On Oct 08, 2020
atheistandproud:

It's cheaper lol, and it still supports most of the new USB tech.

The only problem 2.0 has is it's speed deficiency.
That makes sense

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 2:22pm On Oct 08, 2020
Hakeem12:
That makes sense
Who knows?
Maybe one day, new USB tech will no longer be backwards compatible with 2.0.
Then they'll force us all to upgrade.
These pipo can be mad at times.
Boss mi, I salute.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Hakeem12(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2020
atheistandproud:

Who knows?

Maybe one day, new USB tech will no longer be backwards compatible with 2.0.

Then they'll force us all to upgrade.

These pipo can be mad at times.

Boss mi, I salute.
lol sure, nothing is guaranteed in the tech scene.

You either keep up or get left behind.

Na you be boss o. Serving us content back to back.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
Hakeem12:
lol sure, nothing is guaranteed in the tech scene.

You either keep up or get left behind.

Na you be boss o. Serving us content back to back.

I am loyal.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by KrazyDave16(m): 9:58pm On Oct 08, 2020
Meanwhile I'm here chilling with my 3.1 USB-C data cable cool

Honestly never knew Thunderbolt 3 was the same as USB 4.0
But those data speeds are rad, especially if you using eGPUs.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 11:16pm On Oct 08, 2020
KrazyDave16:
Meanwhile I'm here chilling with my 3.1 USB-C data cable cool

Honestly never knew Thunderbolt 3 was the same as USB 4.0
But those data speeds are rad, especially if you using eGPUs.

They're very fast.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Topmaike007(m): 9:42am On Oct 09, 2020
Speed Is what matters alot oo..
Good writeup bro
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 09, 2020
Nice writeup. Keep educating us, we're your students
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by SweetBuns(f): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2020
engaging.
As usual
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Olamyyde(m): 3:56pm On Oct 09, 2020
One of my major dislikes about Redmi phones is the outdated USB 2.0 they put in almost all their phones. Even rn9pro get am angry

I know their phones are cheap but still.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Qsand: 4:13pm On Oct 09, 2020
Olamyyde:
One of my major dislikes about Redmi phones is the outdated USB 2.0 they put in almost all their phones. Even rn9pro get am angry

Dk you have a pc with USB 3.0 to take advantage of it.? My laptop has two USB 3.0 blue ports. Looking to order an lg v30 from aliexpress since it has USB 3 and an external hdd with USB 3.0 as well.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 8:30pm On Oct 09, 2020
Johnxyz:
Nice writeup. Keep educating us, we're your students

Thank you bro

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 8:30pm On Oct 09, 2020
Topmaike007:
Speed Is what matters alot oo..
Good writeup bro
In this internet age, speed is king.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 8:31pm On Oct 09, 2020
SweetBuns:
engaging.
As usual
Thank you dear.

1 Like

Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 8:33pm On Oct 09, 2020
Olamyyde:

USB 2.0 is old but not necessarily outdated.

To be honest sha, how many people still transfer movies and heavy heavy files using USB? How many people actually have new PCs or laptops to take advantage of the 3.0 or even 4.0?
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Olamyyde(m): 8:52pm On Oct 09, 2020
atheistandproud:

USB 2.0 is old but not necessarily outdated.

To be honest sha, how many people still transfer movies and heavy heavy files using USB? How many people actually have new PCs or laptops to take advantage of the 3.0 or even 4.0?
I transfer heavy files to my laptop frequently. I don't joke with backups at all. My main issue with usb 2.0 is that you can't connect to TV directly with an Hdmi to usb c cable.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Olamyyde(m): 8:53pm On Oct 09, 2020
Qsand:

Dk you have a pc with USB 3.0 to take advantage of it.? My laptop has two USB 3.0 blue ports. Looking to order an lg v30 from aliexpress since it has USB 3 and an external hdd with USB 3.0 as well.
I have an external HDD with usb 3.0 but my laptop supports only 2.0.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 9:56pm On Oct 09, 2020
Olamyyde:

I transfer heavy files to my laptop frequently. I don't joke with backups at all. My main issue with usb 2.0 is that you can't connect to TV directly with an Hdmi to usb c cable.

It doesn't support it unless you're using an MHL cable.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Kunja2: 7:37am On Oct 10, 2020
Can can one differentiate which type of USB?
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 8:07am On Oct 10, 2020
Kunja2:
Can can one differentiate which type of USB?

If you mean the USB versions, then you can simply do that by checking up the phone's specs online via their website or on third party websites like GSMARENA, Device Specifications and Kimovil.

The type of USB terminal used (micro USB or Type C) does not determine the version. for example, a micro USB phone could have 3.0 and a type C could have 2.0.

You can never be sure till you look it up online.
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by OneKinGuy(m): 12:34pm On Oct 10, 2020
should have showed pictures
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 1:41pm On Oct 10, 2020
OneKinGuy:
should have showed pictures
on the blog sir
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by Kunja2: 2:00pm On Oct 10, 2020
atheistandproud:

If you mean the USB versions, then you can simply do that by checking up the phone's specs online via their website or on third party websites like GSMARENA, Device Specifications and Kimovil.

The type of USB terminal used (micro USB or Type C) does not determine the version. for example, a micro USB phone could have 3.0 and a type C could have 2.0.

You can never be sure till you look it up online.
alright. Thanks for the info
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by atheistandproud(m): 3:30pm On Oct 10, 2020
Kunja2:
alright. Thanks for the info
You're welcome
Re: USB Versions And Speed Standards (all You Need To Know) by TrevorDJ(m): 12:38pm On Jun 10, 2022
Are you confused about the difference between USB 2.0 vs 3.0? Know which is suited for your needs by learning all about the differences of each here. This guide will explain the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0.

https://www.novabach.com/what-is-the-difference-between-the-usb-2-0-and-3-0/

(1) (Reply)

Gadgets For Sale...cleaning House / Sprint Galaxy Note 3 Reporting Serious Call Quality Issues And Dropped Calls? / Please Who Else Got This Message From MTN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.