Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,201 members, 7,903,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:40 AM

I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister (576 Views)

Gale Of Deaths Hits Varsity Lecturers In The North / Why We Paid Varsity Lecturers Half Salaries – FG / IPPIS: Buhari Approves Payment Of February, March Salaries Of Varsity Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by sinkhole: 7:36am On Oct 09, 2020
The Minister of State for Education, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba has said that he was quoted out of the context of reports in a section of the media that he asked members of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to take up farming as an alternative for their jobs.

The Minister in a statement by the Director, Press and Public Relations, Mr Ben Bem Goong, on Thursday in Abuja, clarified that he was only encouraging members of the Association and Nigerians, in general, to take up farming as an alternative source of income.

The statement read: “The attention of the Federal Ministry of Education has been drawn to publications in some national dailies to the effect that the Academic Staff Union of Universities, (ASUU) has called on the Minister of State for Education, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, to resign his appointment and take up farming as a profession.

“This is in response to a statement supposedly made by the Hon. Minister advising members of ASUU to resign from the teaching profession and take to farming instead.

“We wish to categorically state that the Minister was quoted out of context.

“The Minister was encouraging members of the Association and Nigerians, in general, to take up farming as an alternative source of income.

“This is in line with the present administration’s developmental agenda of refocusing on agriculture for economic diversification.

“Furthermore, farming is the only profession in which civil servants are constitutionally empowered to engage in even while they are working.

“Agriculture helps boost food security, National development, as well as provide economic empowerment for Nigerians.

“The Federal Ministry of Education is therefore surprised at the outburst of ASUU on the Minister’s statement as there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking up farming while still working.

“The Hon. Minister of State is on point. The outburst of the Academic Staff Union of Universities is clearly a matter of transferred aggression, totally unfounded, misguided and absolutely unnecessary,” Goong said.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/i-never-said-varsity-lecturers-should-go-into-farming-―-minister/

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by beylinko02: 7:37am On Oct 09, 2020
I don't see anything actually bad in the Lecturers having agriculture as a side hustle.

The problem is the so called politicians not providing the enabling environment for it to thrive.

By the time those that are inline with agricultural Profession begin to practice crop production, animal husbandry, food processing as side investment, the issue of food scarcity will be a thing of the past.
Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by Franklyspeakin: 7:46am On Oct 09, 2020
Careless talker
Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by Franklyspeakin: 7:47am On Oct 09, 2020
Guy man no one resign and farm
Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by sinkhole: 7:54am On Oct 09, 2020
beylinko02:
I don't see anything actually bad in the Lecturers having agriculture as a side hustle.

The problem is the so called politicians not providing the enabling environment for it to thrive.

By the time those that are inline with agricultural Profession begin to practice crop production, animal husbandry, food processing as side investment, the issue of food scarcity will be a thing of the past.

Many of the lecturers are already into farming.
It is just the way the mam said it. He is not diplomatic in his utterance at all.
I think somebody said " A diplomat is somebody who tells you to go to hell and you said when should I start the journey sir!"

1 Like

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by flyingpig: 8:04am On Oct 09, 2020
beylinko02:

Will herdsmen insecurity allow them to farm? Govt has much to do to encourage agriculture.

1 Like

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by beylinko02: 8:15am On Oct 09, 2020
sinkhole:
Many of the lecturers are already into farming.
It is just the way the mam said it. He is not diplomatic in his utterance at all.
I think somebody said " A diplomat is somebody who tells you to go to hell and you said when should I start the journey sir!"

Lol.. with the way many of our politicians talk, you will think they have diarrhea of the mouth. They are are so uncultured.
Agriculture is actually lucrative but it's so insulting when you rob it in face by telling them to drop their certificate and go to the farm...

I Love that your quote.

1 Like

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by sinkhole: 8:27am On Oct 09, 2020
beylinko02:

Lol.. with the way many of our politicians talk, you will think they have diarrhea of the mouth. They are are so uncultured.
Agriculture is actually lucrative but it's so insulting when you rob it in face by telling them to drop their certificate and go to the farm...

I Love that your quote.
cheesy The actual quote is as below:

"A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip." =| Caskie Stinnett

1 Like

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by Vyzz: 8:56am On Oct 09, 2020
grin
Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by alexisben(m): 9:05am On Oct 09, 2020
He don change am. Lolz

1 Like

Re: I Never Said Varsity Lecturers Should Go Into Farming ― Minister by olayemi77806: 10:03am On Oct 09, 2020
Guy man no two resignation and farmer

(1) (Reply)

Attempt To Manipulate The VC Position: Staff, Students Protests / Civil Defence Recruitment Shortlisted Candidate 2020/2021 Full List / University Of Lagos (UNILAG) Notice To Students And Parents On Commencement Of O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.