Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,156 members, 7,900,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 06:39 AM

Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? (1997 Views)

Duncan Mighty Beats Timaya. Now 'King Of The South' / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> / Destiny's Child, the Hip-Hop Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by rilla64: 11:19pm On Jun 23, 2007
Conventional hip hop seems to be giving way for a new southern-flavor. Artistes like JD, Diddy, Monica and even Kelly Rowland have incorpórated this style into their music. Is this just a fad or is Southern hip hop here to take over black music globally?
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 6:53am On Jun 24, 2007
I'm afraid so.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by omogenaija(f): 6:54am On Jun 24, 2007
its just a frad , will soon go away
to me hip-hop is slowly dying

hip-hop went from east-west , now its the south's turn
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by Ndipe(m): 9:09am On Jun 25, 2007
I have zero respect for rap/hip hop music.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 9:15am On Jun 25, 2007
@ndipe
who gives a s h i t about you??
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by nutyay(m): 9:19am On Jun 25, 2007
All dat shit pple be talking bout hip hop going 2 d south is trash. I mean d lyrical content of their music is whacked all they talk about is cars, girls, dance & how much money they gat. They gat d weakest flows & they're killing hip hop slowly. Now we gat some mc's 4rm d south dat admit what they do is crunk. So kill that noise.Real hip hop comes 4rm d east & west coast. I can only vouch 4 d likes of luda, chamillomaire, scott storch coz they do hip hop.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by Ndipe(m): 9:50am On Jun 25, 2007
Moreso, I have noticed is that some Nigerian guys, when they arrive in the US, they start behaving like rappers, trying to yarn rap/ebonics, sporting cornrows, all acting thuggish. Rap music is associated with negativity, and were it for me, their CD's would be garnering dust at Tower records.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ndipe. I'm afraid u made a little sense this time - Rap & negativity. In hiphop, we have/had the good guys and the bad guys. Problem is this: the good guys neva made much happen. The bad guys always sold more so the good guys compromised and moved over to the dark side. It goes on and on and on and on and on and I'm off to rest!
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 12:48pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ndipe. I'm afraid u made a little sense this time - Rap & negativity. In hiphop, we have/had the good guys and the bad guys. Problem is this: the good guys neva made much happen. The bad guys always sold more so the good guys compromised and moved over to the dark side. It goes on and on and on and on and on and I'm off to rest!
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by kaydee(m): 12:56pm On Jun 25, 2007
The only southerner i listen to is Scarface.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2007
And bubba sparxxx
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by MP007(m): 2:37pm On Jun 25, 2007
dirty south baby , h-town , u know what it do
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 4:28pm On Jun 25, 2007
More like A-town. We don't have too many houston peops u know. Except paul wall & scarface as far I know.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by MP007(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2007
what abt slim thug. chamillionaire, ugk
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 6:14pm On Jun 25, 2007
Aight, u win.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by rilla64: 8:32pm On Jun 25, 2007
if y'all can recall about a year and half ago it was 50 cent, G-unit and a few others topping the Hip-Hop charts then. Now, it seems the likes of T.I, paul wall, T-Pain have taken over. If you ain't getting "Grimy" with da south, you are probably yesterdays news. Whatever led to this shift?
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by rilla64: 8:45pm On Jun 25, 2007
Though the south makes music you can dance to ( chicken-head, harlem shake, snap yo fingers etc), i think it takes away the true essence of hip-hop. It's dumb ghetto music with no lyrical appeal or conscious message. I cant imagine an MC like Rakim doing what these cats do.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by menike(m): 11:46pm On Jun 25, 2007
I knw the industry very well cusz I work in it

so I think this thread is where I will apply me xperience y'all n'
Tru story - THE SOUTH IS DOMINATING HIPHOP n' also KILLING HIPHOP

Niggas catch a phrase n' make it all bout sex - Now that's cool for certain people
And also send a message to some 12 - 17 year old teenagers

I ain't knw Russell Simmons or Al Sharpton but D4L, HUEY, DFB gotta come out with something positive

( What y'all think ? - That's just my opinion )
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by proverbial: 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2007
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by bgees(m): 11:46am On Jun 26, 2007
To say d south is killin hiphop might be too harsh.they might not have d jaw droppin lyrical content d east and west are known but they do produce d best beats .  And many also luv their accents. So its ok to say they aqe "on top" becos of their beats. I think D pioneers of southern rap never wantd it like that.u knew scarface and co were on d mic by their really ill lyrics.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by bgees(m): 11:49am On Jun 26, 2007
To say d south is killin hiphop might be too harsh.they might not have d jaw droppin lyrical content d east and west are known but they do produce d best beats .  And many also luv their accents. So its ok to say they aqe "on top" becos of their beats. I think D pioneers of southern rap never wantd it like that.u knew scarface and co were on d mic by their really ill lyrics.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by rilla64: 2:09pm On Jun 26, 2007
No wonder Nas said " Hip-hop is dead".
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 2:22pm On Jun 26, 2007
Abi o! Nas said the simple truth only for young jeezy, krs1 and some otha fool on the remix of this is why I'm hot to start bitching about it.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by DezzyIzs: 6:39pm On Jun 26, 2007
Talking about how wack the south is to the real game.The Game threw a dis to the south in his debut single ""ONE BLOOD"" , He said "u betta make up a dance to get radio play,keep on snappin ya fingas i ain't goin away" he directly sent that to d south. Well he got a reply from the acclaim south killa VICIOUS.shey una know d story, ?d truth of the matter is that, the south is switching the game forgetting the real root of rap/hip hop, Too bad
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by bgees(m): 6:41pm On Jun 27, 2007
Materialism+really wack lyrics+some crazy beats=southern rap of today.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by PoDeep(m): 8:38pm On Jun 27, 2007
Perfectly balanced equation, I must say.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by YOUNGDICEs(m): 9:30pm On Jun 27, 2007
hip hop ain't dead it live in the south.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by tng(f): 12:53pm On Jun 28, 2007
Abeg,youngdices its dead.All they tell us about is the girls,cars and money they got and some east coast rappers are getting sucked in e.g 50. In my opinion Nas said it all-
", reminicsing when it wasn't all business" only for krs1 to sing one yeye song trying to seek relevance.
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by gbadex1(m): 4:58pm On Jun 28, 2007
Even the south's beats are no more as creative as before. Nowadays, they sound repititive and boring. same ol' wack shit. . .
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by michaelwe1(m): 6:13pm On Jun 28, 2007
West Side For Life tongue
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by bgees(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2007
Southern rap or southern crap.
When nas said hiphop was dead'.those s.rappers were d first to reply: ludacris wearin a t-shirt sayin:hiphop aint dead,it just moved down south.
The next was young jeezy who is trap star and not a rap star.he was askd about what he felt about what nas said,d idiot could'nt answer,rather he startd divertin issues,sayin nas has no street cred so he has no right to say hiphop is dead.someone pls tell me if there is any sense in that.but jeezy later calld nas and apologise(of course)
Krs one on allhiphop.com said nas was exergerratin, that hiphop was only dying.and how he changd nas 's lyrics on hiphop is dead."kill d djay "to" wreck d djay".
Re: Is The South Dominating Hip-hop? by thegame(m): 6:03pm On Jul 02, 2007
The truth is the south ain't really singing about hip hop. They do crunk and they all admit that's what they do. Even Ciara knows she is crunked.Real hip hop is in the west but the south are just getting enough recognition right now.ANd y'all have to know they work together right now. NAs-Thegame-Chamillionaire. They are incorporating. SO just let them be like i do. Go with the album and artist that u love,be it the chonic or sound of revenge or the doctor's advocate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Femi Showolu And Momoh Kubanji, On Unity Fm / Modenine's Official Rhyme Tyte Video / Free Tickets To Davido's Album Launch!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.