Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,630 members, 7,951,605 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:19 PM

Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. (5004 Views)

Senator Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan (Governorship Candidate) Shines At APC Rally / Kano PDP Primaries: Takia Wins As Abacha’s Son Withdraws / Breaking!!! Jonathan And Abacha's Son In A Close-Door Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by dejavume: 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2011
I wonder y people are try to stain Buhari's name in the issue of Abacha candidancy,He(Buahri) has already said it that discipline must be maintained by all,since there is NWC,why should he intervene .Let the party solve the problem.And that was the main reason why Buhari's name was out to be remove from the case by Abacha himself.Buhari never imposed any candidate.
Always try to know the facts before releasing propaganda to the volatile public
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by fxtopedia(m): 7:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
The fact that I'll vote for CPC for pressy does not mean
I'll vote for CPC for Gov, ACN all the way for Gov.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 7:15pm On Mar 05, 2011
dejavume:

I wonder y people are try to stain Buhari's name in the issue of Abacha candidancy,He(Buahri) has already said it that discipline must be maintained by all,since there is NWC,why should he intervene .Let the party solve the problem.And that was the main reason why Buhari's name was out to be remove from the case by Abacha himself.Buhari never imposed any candidate.
Always try to know the facts before releasing propaganda to the volatile public
U don see where sh*t dey stain?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by agabaI23(m): 7:17pm On Mar 05, 2011
wesley80:

U don see where excreta dey stain?
Yea if you carry fresh human shyte join old elephant shyte, e go stain the new human shyte grin
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by aletheia(m): 7:38pm On Mar 05, 2011
Now that the s'h'it has hit the fan, the hagiographers of Buhari are engaging in some damage control by trying to distance him from the deed, but the truth is that their man was party to and acquiesced to the decision to substitute Abacha's name, otherwise a word from him would have seen to it that the decision of the Kano voters was respected. That has always been the man's style: he presents a false front of puritanical uprightness while distancing himself from the actual dirty deals done by those under him e.g 1983 coup, the 53 suitcases, PTF corruption etc.

Daily Trust Newspaper: With the formation of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) by General Muhammadu Buhari, millions of Nigerians perceived the new party as the symbol of hope and a citadel of justice.
Unfortunately, with the recent events in the party, such hopes now appear to be ill-founded. In fact, the feeling among most CPC supporters is that the leadership of the party no longer has the moral ground to castigate the PDP for lack of internal democracy. General Muhammadu Buhari has repeatedly told Nigerians to defend their votes. Ironically, the CPC, under his nose, doesn’t respect the will of the people. Instead, the leadership of the party has adopted the unjust and undemocratic policy of imposition. A case in point was the submission of the names of losers at the primaries as candidates of the party to INEC.

The submission of the name of Colonel Lawal Ja’afaru Isa to INEC as the CPC gubernatorial candidate for Kano State to replace Mohammed Abacha, who was massively voted for during the January 12th gubernatorial primaries, is the most flagrant disregard for the will of the people. During the primary election, Mohammed Abacha won 144,000 votes to defeat Lawal Ja’afaru Isa who came second with 78,971 votes. Despite the fact that the party leadership had a moral and legal duty to announce the winner of gubernatorial primaries without delay, they deliberately withheld the results to enable them buy time to substitute the will of the people. Since the outcome didn’t favour their preferred aspirant (Ja’afaru Isa), they waited until the 11th hour submit to submit his name to INEC as the CPC gubernatorial candidate.

In the illogical calculation of CPC leader under General Buhari, the best way to outmaneuver the actual winner of the primaries was to substitute his name with someone else at a point he would be helpless to resist the injustice. And that was why the CPC leadership waited until the INEC deadline for the submission of party candidates to smuggle in Lawal Ja’afaru Isa’s name, who curiously was a loser in the gubernatorial primaries. The CPC leadership was fully aware that if it had announced the name of the actual winner of the January 12th CPC gubernatorial primaries in Kano State from the beginning, it would have been impossible for them to impose a loser as candidate at any point. In fact, they deliberately withheld the results so that it could not frustrate their unjust plan to impose a candidate contrary to the original intention of the voters. The whole idea of substituting the winner with someone else at the 11th hour is ungodly, unjust, egregiously inequitable, blatantly indefensible, morally repugnant and shamelessly against good conscience.

Even a casual observer cannot fail to notice that Mohammed Abacha is the most popular CPC leader in Kano State. Indeed, even if you repeat the CPC gubernatorial primaries a hundred times in Kano State, he will maintain his commanding lead. When the results of the gubernatorial primaries didn’t favour their preferred candidate, the CPC leaders should have cancelled the election and ordered a re-run. But even at that, they had realized that no other aspirant enjoys popular support like Mohammed Abacha in Kano State. He has a formidable following, thanks to his compassion, philanthropy and other social causes, which have endeared him to millions of voters.

Mohammed Abacha is impossible to displace through free and fair election. The CPC leaders therefore, took the politically dangerous step of achieving their selfish agenda by imposing a candidate the people didn’t elect. The imposition of candidates by political parties is a direct challenge to the integrity of Professor Attahiru Jega. How can he conduct free and fair elections this year when leaders of political parties such as the CPC are treating the will of the people with utter disregard? Professor Jega should have the moral courage to reject candidates who didn’t emerge through a transparent process. Democracy is founded on the will of the people and you cannot squash it without ultimately killing it. General Buhari’s personal integrity is of no consequence if he doesn’t have the courage to defend the principle of fair play.

Nigerians are now seeing the CPC leaders in their own true colours and the exit of Chief Mike Ahamba is a revelation to those who once regarded the party as the citadel of genuine democratic standard. Can General Buhari now preach against imposition, disregard for the will for people and substitution of candidates, which were once perceived as the evil characteristics of the ANPP PDP? As a Buhari admirer, one is now finding it hard to defend him against valid criticisms that he lacks the moral courage to stand behind those who are genuinely cheated. He seems to have allowed his loyalty to Sule Hamma, Buba Galadima and Tony Momoh to overshadow his moral duty of resisting injustice against any party member.

In fact, even within the PDP, they are quietly celebrating the demystification of General Buhari as manifested by the imposition of candidates by the CPC leadership. A PDP friend of mine taunted me publicly and asked me why a party associated with General Buhari should be ever be involved in the evils of imposition and substitution of candidates. In fact, he told me that General Buhari would have been worse than General Obasanjo if he had been elected President. His contention was that General Buhari has inherent disregard for public opinion, let alone, respecting the will of the people. With the submission of Colonel Lawal Ja’afaru Isa’s name as CPC gubernatorial candidate to INEC without being the winner of the primaries, I stood silly and speechless before a PDP critic of General Buhari.

Let it be clearly argued, however, that any CPC candidate who was never elected by the people but imposed by the party leadership, would be confronted with a pricking conscience. Beneficiaries of injustice such as Ja’afaru Isa, Aminu Masari and Hannatu Musawa should know that they are holding a stolen mandate. As a Japanese proverb goes, “success without honour is a failure.” The American humourist, Mark Twain, also added that “it is better to deserve something and not to have it than to have it and not to deserve it.” And for General Buhari, let him be reminded of the words of Edmund Burke, who said evil thrives on the silence of good men!

http://weekly.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5328:the-demystification-of-general-buhari&catid=54:opinion&Itemid=147
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by marvix(m): 7:46pm On Mar 05, 2011
Why are people choosing to forget so quick that Buhari had reacted to this earlier where he said he heard of complaints that Abacha bought the votes and he was against this sort of thing and he hopes(knows) that the party that is fully his own will resolve the matter, Buhari was well aware about the Abacha mess, and he favored the idea of dropping him.

The issue here is that the problems of the PDP can also be transferred to the CPC even before we finish voting in the general elections, this is why I have always been against the "Vote PDP out" wagon but would rather remain in the wagon of "fresh Air Nigeria".

Its now Buhari fanatics are trying to preach individuals not party, so sad for them, can they tell me how CPC hopes to beat PDP in Kano, when we all know that the people of Kano even though they did not wait for Jonathans speech were fully behind their governorship candidate.

The Buhari/Jonathan race is going to be won by the best man, the man with more structures, the man with a national reach, the man who has consistently shown an understanding of the complexities of the Nigerian politics, the man who will negotiate and deal with those who can deliver himhis dreams, the man who knows the heart of the problems, a diplomatic gentleman, and in my candid opinion Jonathan will carry the day at least I can see Kano state been conceded to the PDP, so pls I ask where is the CPC stronghold
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by 9ijaMan: 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2011
fxtopedia:

The fact that I'll vote for CPC for pressy does not mean
I'll vote for CPC  for Gov,  ACN all the way for Gov.
Thanks for your response. That's the major difference between those who are routing for Buhari and the m.orons jostling for GEJ. In my state, the PDP guy gets my support, 'cos he's the best of the bad eggs in the basket. However, I'll stick with Buhari for Aso Rock.

GEJ's supporters have no clue about how to defend him except for "he's humble" and "he's God sent". As if na humility we go chop!
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by Wadeoye(m): 8:57pm On Mar 05, 2011
@marvix, you are deceiving yourself.

Why do you think people are fighting with everything they have to get CPC ticket in the North? If you have still not seen from the on-going campaign, the whole of the north is Buhari's stronghold. Of course, Buhari will come either first or second in South West. People will vote differently in presidential and guber elections.

In Kano, even among the PDP, the song is KANO SAI Kwakwanso, NIGERIA SAI Buhari.

In Lagos where I am based, if a poll is conducted today, Buhari will win. We have seen this in phone in programs on Radio and television. Millions of people belief in Buhari here.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 9:00pm On Mar 05, 2011
And the BB Mob seem to have lost their voice. Once upon a time they were ubiquitous.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by monkeyleg: 9:01pm On Mar 05, 2011
@Naijaman,

I beg leave dem Goddy brothers alone, blind as bats. Cluesless bunch, they will support anything, including ex-convicts, abi no be this same PDP people dey share money for Akwa Ibom 5 people go die, same bunch Dey Celebrate Criminality as dem Oga talk.

I have challeneged people here and in other forums. Give us clear and concise reasons why people should support or vote for Broda Goddy, and please drop sentiments.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:02pm On Mar 05, 2011
And the Abacha connection continues. . . undecided
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by monkeyleg: 9:04pm On Mar 05, 2011
@Wesley80, shame no dey catch you. Why dont you tell your fellow PDP apologists what you did in Delta state, I mean the small case of Cash for Votes. No wonder you are bending double to support criminality, after all that is what una Baba sey una dey do. PDP celebration of criminality
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by Cougar2: 9:06pm On Mar 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

And the Abacha connection continues. . . undecided

george bush senior ruled after killing millions in iraq in 91. his son(george junior) continued where his father left off in 2004 and nigerians didn't complain. mohammed abacha is a nigerian and he's entitled to contest for the governor of his state. his father's issues should not be mixed with his own mandate.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by modee: 9:15pm On Mar 05, 2011
Its as clear as crystal the man just wants immunity.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by 9ijaMan: 9:28pm On Mar 05, 2011
modee:

Its as clear as crystal the man just wants immunity.
If that's the case, you need not fear. Buhari has promised to push for the removal of immunity for political office holders.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by dejavume: 10:01pm On Mar 05, 2011
Kano election is another election to watch.ABACHA VS KWANKWASO.
MONEY WILL SOON START FLOWING AND SPEAKING IN THE CITY OF KANO.
KANO, A STATE WHERE MONEY SPEAKS.LAGOS NKO?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 10:17pm On Mar 05, 2011
@OP: If the people of Kano want Abacha, then there is nothing that can be done to deny them undecided

The name is certainly soiled in southern nigeria. But doesn't mean it is no good in the north.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by hbrednic: 10:40pm On Mar 05, 2011
If the Abacha boy did worn the primaries,he must be left to contest in the upcoming election.
Somebody should remind Mr Buhari that we are no longer in the military era,he has to adarpt and learn to respect the peoples choice.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 11:03pm On Mar 05, 2011
@eku bear
The point is a candidate that has been selling like crazee 2 ignorant folks by climbing a moral highground on every issue and prides himself on the anti corruption stance of himself and his party ought not to have a name synonymous with criminality in its fold esp when his voiceferous online Mob are castigating his opponent for the crimes of distant and sidelined party members. This isnt abt what the people of Kano think, its about Ngrns realizing the CPC is no association of Saints which is the erroneous reason naive folks r being enticed by the BB ticket.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 11:09pm On Mar 05, 2011
wesley80:

@eku bear
The point is a candidate that has been selling like crazee 2 ignorant folks by climbing a moral highground on every issue and prides himself on the anti corruption stance of himself and his party ought not to have a name synonymous with criminality in its fold esp when his voiceferous online Mob are castigating his opponent for the crimes of distant and sidelined party members. This isnt abt what the people of Kano think, its about Ngrns realizing the CPC is no association of Saints which is the erroneous reason naive folks r being enticed by the BB ticket.

Sani Abacha is likely provably a criminal. Mohammed probably is not (otherwise he'd be rotting in jail.)

He is only a "sinner" in the minds of southern nigerians. While he is a "saint" in that of the people of Kano.

So Buhari should kick out the candidate that the people of Kano want, because the guy isn't popular in the South?

Or he should instead have his party run a governorship candidate in Kano who is disliked by the people of Kano, but popular in the South?  grin grin grin

Sounds a bit moronic, no?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by monkeyleg: 11:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
what I find so unacceptable is that those who belong to the most corrupt Party ever known, feel they have the moral right to question others. This is just laughable, this is why I keep stressing that mental illness is just as serious as corruption in Nigeria
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 11:39pm On Mar 05, 2011
@eku bear,
r u daft or u're just pretending 2 be? Is the CPC an all comers affair? A party that was midwifed by a self acclaimed Puritan ought 2 b able to set its standards and decide the calibre of ppl 2 have in its fold. Last i checked there were over 50 parties in the country and Abacha was free to join any yet he chose the CPC and was accepted with open arms - perharps the stolen Benjamins in Switzerland were too much to resist. Abacha is only popular in Kano becos of his philantropy, well who wouldnt be considering that his dad made Forbes top 10 by theft. Little wonder the Almajiris have taken to him!
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2011
wesley80:

@eku bear,
r u daft or u're just pretending 2 be? Is the CPC an all comers affair? A party that was midwifed by a self acclaimed Puritan ought 2 b able to set its standards and decide the calibre of ppl 2 have in its fold. Last i checked there were over 50 parties in the country and Abacha was free to join any yet he chose the CPC and was accepted with open arms - perharps the stolen Benjamins in Switzerland were too much to resist. Abacha is only popular in Kano becos of his philantropy, well who wouldnt be considering that his dad made Forbes top 10 by theft. Little wonder the Almajiris have taken to him!

So in other words, the CPC should have refused to permit Abacha Jr. to join the party, yes? Is this your suggestion?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 11:49pm On Mar 05, 2011
^^^ in other words the PDP should have ignored Bode George when he got out of prison. Yes?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 11:54pm On Mar 05, 2011
^-- Why are you refusing to answer the simple question?

Again. . . what would you have done if you had full control of the CPC? Would you ban Mo Abacha from joining your party? If so, why? If not, why?

Keep in mind that as much as the family is disliked in southern Nigeria, Mohammed has no legal issues hanging over him.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by monkeyleg: 11:59pm On Mar 05, 2011
@Eku_bear,

Ol boy arguing with Wesley80 will give you constipation, so If I were I will just leave him in his stupidity, i have since understood that there are certain people steep neck deep in the PDP Shiet
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 12:01am On Mar 06, 2011
He that comes to Equity must come with clean hands'. How did Abacha become so rich? What biz does he do? Gej is being pilloried for associating with IBB and Abacha jnr suddenly has been 'saintified' by Pope Buhari. What Hypocrisy is this?
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:02am On Mar 06, 2011
*Cougar*:

george bush senior ruled after killing millions in iraq in 91. his son(george junior) continued where his father left off in 2004 and nigerians didn't complain. mohammed abacha is a nigerian and he's entitled to contest for the governor of his state. his father's issues should not be mixed with his own mandate.

What are you talking about? Do you know anything about the Gulf War?

"The Persian Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – February 28, 1991), commonly referred to as simply the Gulf War, was a war waged by a U.N.-authorized coalition force from thirty-four nations led by the United States, against Iraq.

This war has also been referred to (by the former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein) as the Mother of All Battles,[12] and is commonly, though mistakenly, known as Operation Desert Storm for the operational name of the military response[13] (See section 12.1 Operational Names below), the First Gulf War, Gulf War I, or the Iraq War,[14][15][16] before the term became identified with the 2003-2010 Iraq War.

The invasion of Kuwait by Iraqi troops that began 2 August 1990 was met with international condemnation, and brought immediate economic sanctions against Iraq by members of the UN Security Council. U.S. President George H. W. Bush deployed American forces to Saudi Arabia, and urged other countries to send their own forces to the scene. An array of nations joined the Coalition. The great majority of the military forces in the coalition were from the United States, with Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom and Egypt as leading contributors, in that order. Around US$36 billion of the US$60 billion cost was paid by Saudi Arabia.[17]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

Also, why would Nigerians be complaining publicly about what the U.S. was or was not doing in Iraq? Is Nigeria tied up or really involved in Middle Eastern affairs?

My point about the Abacha connection continuing is that Buhari had strong, close connections to Sani Abacha so it's absolutely no surprise that he's fine with allowing the man's son to have a prominent position in the CPC.

More on Mohammed Abacha:

"According to post-Abacha governmental sources, some $3[5] or $4 billion USD in foreign assets have been traced to Abacha, his family and their representatives, $2.1 billion of which the Nigerian government tentatively came to an agreement with the Abacha family to return, with the quid pro quo being that the Abachas would be allowed to keep the rest of the money. Although this proposal caused a massive outcry at the time for seeming to reward the theft of public funds, it was subsequently rejected by the late dictator's son, [size=13pt]Mohammed Abacha, who continues to maintain that all the assets in question were legitimately acquired[/size].[16][17] In 2002, Abacha's family agreed to return $1.2 billion that was taken from the central bank.[18]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sani_Abacha

The source for the part I enlarged is:

Easterly, William. (2002) The Elusive Quest for Growth, MIT Press. p. 245
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 12:07am On Mar 06, 2011
So what should have been done? People (e.g., @wesley80) seem to be criticizing what happened without offering an alternative.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by wesley80(m): 12:12am On Mar 06, 2011
^^ Nothing. Just admit the CPC aint better than the PDP and both GEJ and Buhari are on same moral level. Stop the Delusio!
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by ekubear1: 12:21am On Mar 06, 2011
^-- Think deeply about the implications of your response, "Nothing." Then consider if your 2nd and 3rd sentences logically follow.
Re: Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:23am On Mar 06, 2011
eku_bear:

So what should have been done? People (e.g., @wesley80) seem to be criticizing what happened without offering an alternative.

They (the CPC) should never have allowed Mohammed Abacha to contest on the party's platform if they were averse to him being governor of Kano in the first place (as this story seems to suggest they were). He could just be expelled from the party (anti-party activity; not following the directives of the party leaders) if he decided to contest without their approval.

That he was able to join the party, and then able to contest on their platform shows that someone or some people in the CPC were fine with it and may have given him the go ahead earlier only for them to oppose him as candidate when he actually won (to their surprise, probably).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

O My God! Patience Jonathan Drops Another Bombshell / Protests Ongoing In Port Harcourt / International Women's Day: Buhari Greets Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.