Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,121 members, 7,943,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 12:50 AM

#EndPoliceBrutality should be the headline of this cause! Way Forward #EndSARS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #EndPoliceBrutality should be the headline of this cause! Way Forward #EndSARS (236 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Joins EndSARS Protest, Carries #EndPoliceBrutality Placard / See The Headline That Got Nigerians Boiling On Facebook / Newspapers Review: Stories That Made The Headline This Sunday Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#EndPoliceBrutality should be the headline of this cause! Way Forward #EndSARS by SayITnw: 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2020
Good morning Fellow Countrymen.

I just thought to add my voice and insight to the ongoing #EndSARs protests in many cities across the nation.

Indeed, bad eggs from the various Police tactical formations have pushed many to the wall and now, Nigerians, rightfully, will have this no more. This struggle which has been approached in diverse angles: phyiscally on the streets through peace rallies, via social media advocacy, print media editorials and articles etc. is gaining needed attention locally and internationally. It is further reinforcing the "power of the people" to be heard and influence their environment.

To the doubter and pessimist, who still think the ongoing protests are uncalled for, I will quote the Yoruba adage "eni kan lo mo", those who have had 1sthand encounter with these brutalities: who have see the unjust and barbaric exploitation & demeaning of the innocent by some uncultured and unprofessional security personnel will most definitely have a different view in support of ending this evil trend. While I have been graciously fortunate not to have had direct exposure to these bad eggs as such, I empathize as a decent human and for sure every clamour for better service and continuous improvement from the Nigeria Police is right and valid.

At the point, let me restate the my chosen narrative for this struggle is only in favour of genuine reforms to deliver better policing to the Nigeria people and a call for a more professional Police Force, an end to every form of brutality of the innocent; a structure that has a mechanism for identifying rouge officers and dishing out appropriate consequences. Non-compliance should never be encouraged or rewarded. A Police culture with zero tolerance to abuse of power; a service oriented Police.

How to we ensure we have the Police we desire as a nation? Our leaders must buy-in into the essense of the aggitation of the people, it is a genuine call for change. A society is only a reflection of what it accepts or rejects. The following should help get us back on track with the Police Force:

1. Redefining the core values, training and tactical methodologies and culture which must be in synergy with international best practices and ultimately the yearnings of the average Nigerian.
2. Aligning the team to these through learning and development strategies:
-New recruits: robust job profiling and character profiling- psychometric testing must be deployed. Not everyone will fit into the Police Structure. They must identify the behavioural potentials they seek and locate alignments from the recruitment process. This must be followed by thorough onboarding into the culture. Training and retraining. Barbaric practices and methods must be esponged. Set indicators, monitor performance and reward bravery.
Existing workforce- not too late to reassess and retrain. Re-onboard, sensitize, rehabilitate, redistribute competences and prune where necessary. Not all will fit, so we must be clear about this and act appropriately.
3. Adopt Technology for crime deterrence, traceability and training.
4. Showcase the Police in new lights: community efforts,
5. Reward, reward, reward. Implemente compensation as a strategy.

To stop the ongoing protest quickly before it degenerates into a monster, our government must honestly engage the populace along the above ideas with clear timelines. They can partner with professional organisations such as CIPM, NILD and NIM to contribute brilliantly to the process

As we become more reawaken as a people, let's be reminded that the impunity is not only with the Police Bad Eggs, there are many more across all works of life and they will continue to thrive untill we as a people decided to collectively stand against this. The list is endless:
- Thieving Politicians yet serially winning elections
- Demeaning employer who treats workers lower as than dogs..
- Exploitative Doctors and Nurse running foul of the ethics of their hallowed profession.
- Teachers/Lecturers not modeling the right characters rather becoming predators.
- Recruiters exploiting job seekers, poaching their ideas yet dumping them under the bus
- pls add to this list

The struggle continues....

Say no to mediocrity. Let your voice be heard.

Written by,
Moluabi
Re: #EndPoliceBrutality should be the headline of this cause! Way Forward #EndSARS by SayITnw: 9:07pm On Oct 13, 2020
And SWAT was born. ����

The IGP and the federal government needs to wake up and hone their communication strategy and stakeholders engagement. Trust's been eroded way too far and a name change barely 24hrs after government's adoption of the #5for5 demand of the youths appears suspicious.

I have no problem with a name change but the objectives have to be clear, FG and IGP needs to do some thorough selling here. The young people, as I sense are now woke and will now allow matters to be simply glossed over; "awon youths yi fiece gan" (forgive an icon) they are also very intelligent and any attempt to simply play they with some unthought through technicality is dead on arrival.

Tell us what SWAT is about, what's their modus operandi, how will they be resourced? Is this another case of Esua's hand and Jacob's voice. I hope the politicians know that most of the youths especially 35 and below, have not seen a better Nigeria, they have over the years been exposed the an avalanche of societal malady, unexplainable deprivation leading to repressed anger and a yearning for better. They are more equipped to approach their issues heads on and in an era of virality, if the FG dont act with tact and commitment, we may be laying the foundations for a revolution that will reverberate in the history of our country, shaking NG to it's roots. I have a feeling fate is enabling this now....

What should government do now: Be sincere, rise up and do the right thing, win the hearts of the Nigerian youths again, and let them be proud of their father land.

The brutality did not start with the police and will not end with them, I hope the #EndSARs will metamorphosize into a bigger dimension where the citizens demand better and accountable government, where us as a people exhibits zero tolerance to mediocrity, misdirection, corruption and its ugly likes.

Like I always say, A society is a relection of what it accepts or rejects. The indefatigable youths of our land are saying no to bo-bo, propaganda, political jingoism and police brutality. We deserve better and better we will get.

Long Live the good people of Nigeria. Better days ahead. Aluta continua victoria ascerta.��

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING : IGP Disbands SARS All Over The Country. / Ondo State People Chooses Akeredolu For A New Ondo State. / Abatco Congratulates Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.