Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,897 members, 7,966,339 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 12:53 PM

Gaddafi's Men Came For Counterattack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gaddafi's Men Came For Counterattack (523 Views)

I Didn’t Know Why I Came To Rule Now – Buhari / See Where The Phrase 'Ajala The Traveler' Came From? / Gaddafi Flies In Black Africans To Quell Protests As Libya Descends Into Anarchy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gaddafi's Men Came For Counterattack by napep: 7:54pm On Mar 06, 2011
Muammar Gaddafi's forces continue to launch counterattacks on anti-government rebels along the central Libyan coast, with air raids and ground battles reported in the towns of Bin Jawad, Ras Lanuf, Az-Zawiyah and Misurata.

Conflicting claims about the capture and recapture of these strategic cities and towns by pro-Gaddafi forces and anti-government rebels came amid reports of shooting in the capital, Tripoli, an area still controlled by the Libyan leader, which has so far been relatively free of violence.

Gaddafi is facing an uprising since February 17 that has posed the biggest challenge ever to his more than four-decade rule.

It was unclear who was carrying out the shooting in Tripoli, which started early on Sunday, or what caused it, Al Jazeera's Anita McNaught reported from the city.

Automatic weapon rounds, some of it heavy calibre, echoed around central Tripoli along with pro-government chants, whistling and a cacophony of car horns as vehicles sped through the vicinity, witnesses said.

However, a government spokesman denied any fighting was under way in Tripoli. "I assure you, I assure you, I assure you, I assure you, there is no fighting going on in Tripoli," Mussa Ibrahim told the Reuters news agency.

Our correspondent, reporting from Green Square in Tripoli, said that thousands of people had turned out to show their support for Gaddafi.

“The square is absolutely packed with supporters of Gaddafi," she said, adding that some of these "supporters" had admitted to a British journalist on Sunday that they were army and police personnel in civilian clothes.

Ibrahim, the Libyan government spokesman said: "Everything is safe. Tripoli is 100 per cent under control. What you are hearing is celebratory fireworks. People are in the streets, dancing in the square."

Conflicting claims

Libyan state television said the shots in Tripoli were in celebration of the government forces' success in reclaiming the cities of Misurata, about 200km east of Tripoli, and Az-Zawiyah, just 50km west of the city, a day after anti-government fighters repelled repeated attacks by forces loyal to Gaddafi.

However, residents of Misurata told Al Jazeera that reports the city had been recaptured were false.
Read more of our Libya coverage

"There's absolutely no grounds for that claim whatsoever," Sadoun Mistrai, one resident, said.

Our correspondent said "locals [in the Green Square] are still out on the street celebrating a military victory that hasn't happened , you have to wonder what these people have been told".

Later, residents of Misurata said government tanks had begun shelling the town.

"Misurata is currently under attack,"

"We think that the pilot was targeting some heavy anti-aircraft guns that were along the roadside," she said.

The area, in the country's central coast, houses a major refinery and petrochemical complex.

Ras Lanuf, and the nearby town of Bin Jawad, have seen fierce fighting between Libyan government forces and rebels, with reports of opposition fighters having shot down a government helicopter earlier on Sunday.

After Sunday's air attack caused some rebels to briefly flee the area, Rowland reported fighters again heading west towards the frontline.

"We are seeing people loading up with ammunition and guns, vehicles and also ambulances, tearing down the road, pressing forward in the direction of Bin Jawad, which is a town about 30 to 40km to the west of here, where there is still fighting going on in the streets between pro and anti Gaddafi forces," she said.

Earlier on Sunday, rebels said they had come under sniper fire and air attack on the frontline. Al Jazeera's Birtley said rebels were coming under "quite a sizeable force" of heavy resistance from pro-Gaddafi forces.

He described the rebel groups as being "driven by enthusiasm and not really experience".

While the rebels have a strong presence in Ras Lanuf, they told Al Jazeera's Rowland that the town was still held by Gaddafi loyalists.

"What we're seeing is a lot of movement, for the first time in days," she said, adding that the rebel forces are completely disorganised, constantly swinging between euphoria and panic.

"I think that their biggest strength, as far as the rebels are concerned, is the sheers numbers of volunteer fighters. People with no previous military experience came to the call, learning pretty quickly how to operate , an anti-aircraft carrier."

Youssef Shagan, a spokesman for the fighters in Az-Zawiyah, said that Gaddafi's forces had entered the city at 6am local time (04:00 GMT) with hundreds of soldiers, along with tanks and armoured vehicles.

Gaddafi's forces had broken through defences into Martyrs' Square, in the heart of the city, but hours later were pushed back, Shagan said.

Benghazi, Libya's second city, is the stronghold of protesters and is firmly in the hands of anti-government forces, but Libyan state television said on Sunday that forces loyal to Gaddafi were on their way to take back the city.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Under Fire …over Statement On Zoning ! / Dpp Endorses President Goodluck Jonathan / I Am 25 Years, I Never Vote Before In My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.