Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,764 members, 7,930,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 12:17 AM

What Goes Into Naming A Child - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Goes Into Naming A Child (17430 Views)

Wife Sister Naming Her Baby After My Wife Ex Boyfriend / Naming A New Born Child : / Our Landlord Says He Fathered My Second Baby, Insists On Naming Him —husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by 99thEnemy(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2020
pozehnani:
Now, people bear their children names based on the following

circumstances sorrounding the birth of that child.

Events that happened in the parents life either for good or bad.
Events that happened generally. like the case of covid 19 where a woman in China named her twins covid something. Can't remember now. But it was covid related.

So, these and several other circumstances and situation are things that give rise to the name a child is given.

Like my native name was given me as a result of my mum having only girls. She now added us (twins) to the girls on ground. Hahahah... so my dad gave me, IS GOD THAT GIVES BABIES. lol..
Bride Price Investment Cooperation grin

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by illicit(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2020
Ishilove:

My sister, that is the most common na. I asked a Nairalander what his username Omiobo meant and he told me"monkey water". Obowunmi says his name means "I feel like owning a monkey."

Did u ask obontami

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by 99thEnemy(m): 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2020
Ishilove:

Makes me wonder why people give their kids names that they can't trace the origins.

I heard one little boy being called 'Aragon' yesterday. This was my expression on the inside shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by NoToPile: 4:52pm On Oct 18, 2020
Biglittlelois:
Some people just name their kids without reserching for deep meanings and its significance

The annoying names I see becoming fluent lately is e.g Hephzibah, ask them where they got it from, they'll its from the bible, ask of her significance in the bible, I get no reply, this is a mother to a wicked kind of Israel, that's all, and they don't even know this, I mean, there are better names in the bible na,

Or is it Vashti, the disgraced queen before Queen Esther, ask them why give their daughter that name, reply is because it sounds nice, imagine angry

Hephzibah might have a good meaning,
Vashti?? I have never heared anyone with that name , the name may also have a good meaning, sometimes what matters is the meaning of the name not necessarily the lifestyle of the owner of the name in the bible.

And there are some biblical names which the lifestyle of the individual was quite good but has a bad meaning.

There are some common English names that don't have nice meanings, it seems people don't research( at least Google) before they give children all these foreign names.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Axmondthuglife: 4:57pm On Oct 18, 2020
mariahAngel:

Africans usually name a child based on the circumstances within when the child was born.
Plantain girl
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by spiralwedge(m): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2020
If you were a Tottenham fan and you gave birth that day they trashed ManU 6-1, best to give the child the name Spurs
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by mariahAngel(f): 5:03pm On Oct 18, 2020
Axmondthuglife:

Plantain girl

Yes, sweetie...
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Axmondthuglife: 5:04pm On Oct 18, 2020
mariahAngel:

Yes, sweetie...
Bawo ni Oto ojo mewa
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by mariahAngel(f): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2020
Axmondthuglife:

Bawo ni Oto ojo mewa

Awa wa alright sha...amo, mi mo yin o

Kini main monicker yin? Mo fe mo boya e buru abi e nice... grin
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by WHOcarex: 5:09pm On Oct 18, 2020
Hmmm. I gave my 3rd son a name and people feel its an old fashion name. When I mention the name, they always have some kind of look. Each time I try to change the name my heart will be beating fast fast followed by slit headache. Any posh name I pick, doesn't go well with my heart and the name will not sound sweet to me. But when I call the particular one I gave him, it sounds sweet and gladdens my heart. I don't know why.

And the name just pop up in the hospital after I birthed him, contrary to the name I had in mind before. It was after some time (probably months) before I remember that there was a time I said it in my heart innocently that when I have a son, I will name him that particular same. I have two boys before him and I didn't remember to name any of them the name.

Could it be the reason why I kept having boys because I have not fulfilled my wish? shocked Hmmm.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Axmondthuglife: 5:13pm On Oct 18, 2020
mariahAngel:

Awa wa alright sha...amo, mi mo yin o

Kini main monicker yin? Mo fe mo boya e buru abi e nice... grin
Ko need. Ati mo arawa tipe sa
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Hardeshyna(m): 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2020
Chuky7:
So my sister put to birth yesterday and I couldn't take the thought of how and why a certain name is given to a child.

like how do you come up with names on the spot and also importantly the meaning attached to it.

Do you backup name options before the child arrives or is there something am missing.

take my case for example...

i was xoxo expecting a baby girl..but wifey gave birth to a boy on Friday... we had already deliberated on a girls name...

we had to go back to our list of name and pick a name for my Prince... couldn't get a befitting 1 so had to download a name app on Playstore.. finally found the 1 that matches him straight away
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 5:20pm On Oct 18, 2020
Ishilove:

I wonder why I will name my child Aliona when native names boku.
I love traditional native names mehn. Not just as middle names, but as first names.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by tunjilee003: 6:17pm On Oct 18, 2020
naptu2:
The word Dan in Hausa means son.

Dantata = son of Tata.
Dangote = son of Gote

(The name of the nanny that took care of Alhassan Dantata was Tata and so people started calling him "son of Tata" = Dantata).

The word "Ap" means son in Welsh. Therefore:

Madog ap Rhys = Madog son of Rhys.

The suffix "son" is used in Icelandic. Therefore:

Gunnarsson = son of Gunnar
I've been trying to unravel the mystery behind that "son "... Icelandic and danish players wear it at the back of their Jerseys...... thanks for the enlightenment......
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by naptu2: 6:21pm On Oct 18, 2020
tunjilee003:
I've been trying to unravel the mystery behind that "son "behind those Icelandic and danish players, thanks for the enlightenment......

There's also dottir for the women.

Aron Gunnarsson is an Icelandic footballer. Gunnarsson = Gunnar's son.

Sara Bjork Gunnarsdottir is a female Icelandic footballer. Gunnarsdottir = Gunnar's daughter.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by DICKstractor: 6:57pm On Oct 18, 2020
pozehnani:

Events that happened generally. like the case of covid 19 where a woman in China named her twins covid something. Can't remember now. But it was covid related.

So, these and several other circumstances and situation are things that give rise to the name a child is given.

Like my native name was given me as a result of my mum having only girls. She now added us (twins) to the girls on ground. Hahahah... so my dad gave me, IS GOD THAT GIVES BABIES. lol..
Chinenyenwa

2 Likes

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by officialfestus(m): 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2020
In my village,any name you give to your child will determine his/her future.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2020
My first born is gonna be named Alexander (boy) or Alexandria (girl).

If e pain any family members say I no choose native name, make them sue me to court cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Ishilove: 11:22pm On Oct 18, 2020
illicit:

Did u ask obontami
Nope. I can't be questioning every dubious sounding username on Nairaland.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Ishilove: 11:25pm On Oct 18, 2020
99thEnemy:

I heard one little boy being called 'Aragon' yesterday. This was my expression on the inside shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Isn't that the name of the Lord of the Rings character?
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by CheedyJ(m): 11:52pm On Oct 18, 2020
naptu2:
The word Dan in Hausa means son.

Dantata = son of Tata.
Dangote = son of Gote

(The name of the nanny that took care of Alhassan Dantata was Tata and so people started calling him "son of Tata" = Dantata).

The word "Ap" means son in Welsh. Therefore:

Madog ap Rhys = Madog son of Rhys.

The suffix "son" is used in Icelandic. Therefore:

Gunnarsson = son of Gunnar
So, what does ‘tata’ & ‘Gote’ mean or are they not name’s on their own? Just asking for better understanding ..thanks
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by illicit(m): 2:09am On Oct 19, 2020
Ishilove:

Nope. I can't be questioning every dubious sounding username on Nairaland.

Talking about obo/obo

He might have said obontami means "monkey pains me" cheesy
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by stevedre: 7:31am On Oct 19, 2020
cheesy.... So any luck with male kid/s? Wish to have twins though I heard its not easy raising then due to their competitive nature and desire to have same stuffs.

pozehnani:

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Lazykulture: 9:44am On Oct 19, 2020
A lot goes into naming a child. The name given to me was because of what happened to parents. My parents were told they cant have children. So they prayed and fasted, i was born. So my native means that everyone shall have a child

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by crackhaus: 9:50am On Oct 19, 2020
alexistaiwo:
My first born is gonna be named Alexander (boy) or Alexandria (girl).

If e pain any family members say I no choose native name, make them sue me to court cheesy
Lol...

What does Alexander mean?

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 19, 2020
Protector.

crackhaus:
Lol...
What does Alexander mean?
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by pozehnani(f): 3:08pm On Oct 19, 2020
stevedre:
cheesy.... So any luck with male kid/s? Wish to have twins though I heard its not easy raising then due to their competitive nature and desire to have same stuffs.

God will provide what you need to take care of their needs.

1 Like

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by bukatyne(f): 3:18pm On Oct 19, 2020
isotech080:
I can't imagine how a couple will have about 9 months to think of their baby's name, and all what they would come up with is Friday or Sunday.
jezzz!!!!!
Biko this must stop #EndSars

Hahahahahahaha!
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by ChukChinCol(m): 3:24pm On Oct 19, 2020
The act of naming a child should be an avenue to test your creativity. Even if there were circumstances surrounding your child birth whether positive or negative and you chose to name the child after the circumstance, you have to be creative about it. If the events leading to the child's birth is not important, still you have to be creative. You can be Igbo but you like the sound of Spanish names, you can coin a smart spanish-igbo name that has never been. If God can create everyone differently, every new born deserves a unique name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by bukatyne(f): 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2020
Biglittlelois:
Some people just name their kids without reserching for deep meanings and its significance

The annoying names I see becoming fluent lately is e.g Hephzibah, ask them where they got it from, they'll its from the bible, ask of her significance in the bible, I get no reply, this is a mother to a wicked kind of Israel, that's all, and they don't even know this, I mean, there are better names in the bible na,

Or is it Vashti, the disgraced queen before Queen Esther, ask them why give their daughter that name, reply is because it sounds nice, imagine angry

Some names have great means despite their Biblical characters.

Judas is a variation of Judah which means 'Praise'. I have not heard anyone called Judas though.

Jezebel according to some sources mean 'where is the exalted one/prince',. I haven't heard Jezebel either.

Interestingly, Mary a name revered by the Catholics mean 'bitterness'.

Hephzibah means 'I am in the Lord's delight' or 'My delight is in her'.

It is a fine name would work better for me translated in our local tongues.

Hephzibah is similar to 'Eyinojuoluwa' or 'oluwanifemi/oluwaferanmi/oluwafemi' and all the Femi series.
Re: What Goes Into Naming A Child by angelfallz(m): 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2020
bukatyne:

Some names have great means despite their Biblical characters.

Judas is a variation of Judah which means 'Praise'. I have not heard anyone called Judas though.

Jezebel according to some sources mean 'where is the exalted one/prince',. I haven't heard Jezebel either.

Interestingly, Mary a name revered by the Catholics mean 'bitterness'.

Hephzibah means 'I am in the Lord's delight' or 'My delight is in her'.

It is a fine name would work better for me translated in our local tongues.

Hephzibah is similar to 'Eyinojuoluwa' or 'oluwanifemi/oluwaferanmi/oluwafemi' and all the Femi series.

You shouldn't be writing things like that as fact.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/mary

https://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/mary/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! My Hubby Is Married With Kids And I Never Knew! / Nigerian Couple Welcome Their First Child After 19 Years Of Waiting (photo) / Should A Woman Be Pregnant for Her Fiance Before Marriage?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.