Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,461 members, 7,891,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:18 PM

Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site (5567 Views)

Would You Buy On An Auction Site? / Instructions On Using Online Auction Site For Sellers & Buyers / Auction Site For All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by determined: 11:20am On Jun 25, 2007
hi guys,
ive read all the posts and comments on this site concerning having a nigerian ebay site.
majority of us think that it will be a wonderful idea provided the major issues are dealt with eg.
- postal or delivery service
- payment gateway/service
- seller and buyer verification systems etc.

well, a group of us are embarking on creating a nigerian auction site not just for sales and buys but biddings as well.
i know there are already sites like 234world.com, 2Deal4Real.com and the likes (kuddos to them because its not easy to put up and manage such a site in nigeria) but this one is with a difference.
personally, i'm looking for people like programmers, project planners, advertisers, database administrators and others who think they would be of tremendous value to kick of such a project.
i need your ideas and views as well.
drop me a note at
his_favoured1@yahoo.co.uk

and give us your personal opinons and ideas on the topic. also, would you use the site if it were created? and under what conditions
thanks!
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Lotachi: 9:01am On Jun 26, 2007
Interesting topic!

well, a group of us are embarking on creating a nigerian auction site not just for sales and buys but biddings as well.
i know there are already sites like 234world.com, 2Deal4Real.com and the likes (kuddos to them because its not easy to put up and manage such a site in nigeria) but this one is with a difference.

In wich way should your site be different?
A couple of days ago I have posted the following in another topic
( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-59906.0.html )

Hello Everybody,

Help to develop Nigeria and start using a Nigerian online marketplace! There are now so many good initiatifs when it comes to "auction" sites, people are really trying to establish a good, genuine website. Everybody is working hard, believe me 'cause I know what it takes. But if we keep on wishing for Ebay or Gumtree to come to Nigeria, we will never be able to get something for our own! Is it not better to start something? What are you waiting for?
Start using a (free) online marketplace today (whether it is 2Deal4Real.com, Ebuynigeria, Karajakataja, vadoka, whogobuy or another site), see wich one is most suitable, most convenient to you. You can even use all of them to promote you stuff. You don't have to put your eggs in one basket!

What I really believe is that Nigeria needs a mentality change, so start today! Use common sense and start making some money by selling for example:
-(used) books
-(used) clothes
-(used) wedding gowns
-(used) tools
-(used) cars / parts
-(used) mobile telephones
- short: everything you want to get rid off and has some value!

Tip: Help interested prospective sellers to place their ads on one of the sites and let them pay for your service Wink

Make one or more of these sites to grow and be proud to have a Nigerian marketplace!!!

Have a nice day and good luck with your business

Check out 2Deal4Real.com first! Grin
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Seun(m): 9:15am On Jun 26, 2007
I also have a dream of an ecommerce site in form of a clone of Craigslist and Gumtree, but I can't run it myself. sad
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by determined: 11:59am On Jun 26, 2007
Lotachi:

Interesting topic!

In wich way should your site be different?
A couple of days ago I have posted the following in another topic
( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-59906.0.html )

I can't disclose every plan here but some of the main differences would be:
- actual auctions and sales going on i.e. others will have an opportunity to bid on prices of commodities
- registered users would have accounts to track their sales and auctions
- registered users can also post wanted ads for others to respond to

(these are just a few)

and seun, it would be a pleasure running this with you. seriously!!!
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Lotachi: 9:23am On Jun 27, 2007
@Determined

How would this site be different from all the sites existing already?
Especially 2Deal4Real.com is operating like this!

Everyday new "auction sites" are comming up, why waiting to start using them? If everybody is waiting for a site to be as big as Ebay, we will never reach some where. Building a site is one thing, to make it to grow another one. Start using these sites today. Help Nigeria to move forward, help your self!

Off topic:
We are currently looking for students nationwide who would like to promote our site. Excellent opportunity to make some money. Please contact us at info@ 2deal4real. com
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by omoita05(m): 1:58pm On Mar 12, 2008
i'm pleased to know my naija brothers out there thinking outside the box and actually making things happen.
i'm a web designer if anyone require my input you should contact me - omoita05@yahoo.co.uk
i just stumble upon this site today and i'm already bowled over. keep up the good work guys.

p.s

i don't see how a payment gateway and postal service will work at the moment. because you know as i know. no one is ready to part with their cash unless they see the goods.
and you cannot trust the naija postal systems because their workforce is full of hungry workers. they will be intercepting goods and thus creating a bad vibe to the whole system.
i think its better for cash on collection and also leaving feedbacks on every transaction will also be good.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by kachiface(m): 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2008
Wow! Nice conversation going on here,

Omoita* incidentally i work for 234world.com and delivery for us is excellent. We deliver within 24-48 hours depending on which part of the country. About theft and all, well, i guess that's part of the risks in business. We have a refunds policy and tight audit and feedback processes. We have been doing this for about 2years now and had only one incident where a laptop was stolen, but of course, that had to be replaced immediately and also we investigated and the perpetrators were brought to book!

The problem we have here in Naija is we fail to follow principles. Life is about principles. Follow them and you'll definitely smile, break them and they will hurt you real bad. We run businesses haphazardly, live anyhow and without rules, then we want to get the results that europeans and americans get in an organized environment. 1+1=2 in every part of the world, Nigeria inclusive! What we have done at 234world.com is to organize our operations and implement standard procedures for both our external and internal (most importantly) operations, that way, we could easily trace the point at which the item was stolen and of course, we plugged it and everyone else in the chain had to sit up, knowing that the audit process etc that our bosses and consultants set in place actually work.

Anyway, like Lotachi rightly said, the only way to develop Nigeria's e-commerce is to use it, with caution - yes, but use it. We have to also look at ways of synergizing and not everybody jumping in and trying to be a solo superstar.

Seun: Nairaland is an excellent forum, just as I write this, I see very many ways of monetizing the traffic you have here, it's easy, very very easy. One of the ways may be integration with us at 234world.com - (That one, we will discuss in private, ha, ha, ).

We're waiting for all the nairaland visitors resident in Naija to visit us at 234world.coma and actually make purchases. One of the things the public does not know is that Interswitch has a complaints and reversal system/policy whereby if you buy anything online using their payment gateway and you dont get value for your money, you can get to them, submit your complaint and have the money reversed directly from the website back into your bank account! Knowledge is power - that's what we lack in Naija, people need to know their rights and the wealth of resources available to them.

omoita05:
i think its better for cash on collection and also leaving feedbacks on every transaction will also be good.

Well, cash on collection is good, but we have tried it and people make orders and when it arrives, they laugh and are like , "we just wanted to know if it was real, if your system actually works" You wish you could kill them, but you cant! That's Naija and, that's Naija.

Well, the best way to make these conveniences we see abroad come here is to encourage them when they are starting up. Somebody had to use ebay, someone had to be the first to signup, someone had to be #1 or #100 or #1,000 up till they now have millions of active subscribers,

Thanks all, I am on my way back to 234world.com, and I expect to see all of you there.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by tosin4urs: 7:19pm On May 27, 2008
check out www.EEzEEmARKET.com
It's got all it takes for a nija ebay site apart from the payment gateway. i learnt it's because the nija ecommerce market is still skeptical about such transactions which is very undastandable
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Tayogeorge(m): 10:54am On Jun 10, 2008
beautiful innovation. its not only commendable, but also desirable, i love the courage.

The payment gateway is already a forgone issue. thanks to interswitch,

the postal and delivery service can be customised with Nig postal service, and some courier company.

seller and buyer verification systems can be complicating, but we can start from somewhere,

already, Mgt Firm is embarking on home delivery service of raw food stuff, with other benefits for consumers.the feedbacks and the testimonies from customers are encourraging, its beautiful signal that Nigerian auction site will work out if we start from somewhere, we are now floating an entrepreneur on line market club for newbie and existing budding entrepreneurs, We have to do everything possible to work towards MEGA CITY INITIATIVE and 2020 vision realisation.

Mgt Firm will Support any initiative that aimed at building this nation,

fine your useful information here- click below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/action-profile/sa-showPosts
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Bennyboy(m): 8:50pm On Oct 25, 2009
Check out:

www.awoof.org

I used it and I am quite impressed, I got to be one of the first registered users.

More user registration needed though (what am I saying, it was just launched some days ago - user base will surely grow by God's Grace). Site is simply amazing.

Cheers.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by ohmsworld: 10:44am On May 06, 2010
http://www.wazaba.com is another online auction.
It is integrated with the owode.com secure payment system
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by ttjohn: 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
Hi all, I think the kind of site you are talking about is

http://www.nigerianmarket.com

I dont think there is any other module about auction, buying and selling scripts outside that.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by tee111: 5:17pm On Dec 29, 2010
Auction any product , Great !!!!Opening the World of Opportunity for you to BUY & SELL Quality Products in Nigeria at Amazing PRIZE!!!
www.ubuybid.com
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by kodewrita(m): 1:19pm On Mar 23, 2011
Seun:

I also have a dream of an ecommerce site in form of a clone of Craigslist and Gumtree, but I can't run it myself. sad

guess this was the genesis of nairalist.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by oshinki: 8:38pm On Dec 03, 2011
Hello friends,

There's an on-line auction site coming soon that would turn things around, making shopping on-line (auction) much more fun, exciting, reliable and secure in Nigeria. Something Nigerians would be proud of and would be measurable with eBay's, gumtree and amazon.

I have read through the conversations below and i am interested in having further discussions with the following individuals on this thread, Kachi_face, Tayogeorge, Tee111 and TTjohn

Additionally, programmers and IT experts, Logistics experts and other experience hands in on-line ecommerce in Nigeria would be welcome to have a chat with me by sending me an email on oshinki2@hotmail.com, my phone number would be released after constructive discussions via email.

regards,

K.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by mrinfo(m): 2:40am On Dec 04, 2011
I think if you guys can get a real auction site going it will have serious and positive economic impact in the Nigerian online space. Always get in touch with www.nairabrains.com if you are about launching or doing any newsworthy thing. It's becoming Nigeria's first truly business blog reporting business developments, achievements and giving great business insights
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by kevinc: 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2011
Hmm. How will u manage online 419?
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by plutonian: 6:21pm On Dec 05, 2011
Interesting Post! A "Nigerian Ebay Site" will definitely change commerce in a very good way.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by Talk2doy: 11:36pm On Feb 05, 2012
From reading this thread, it appears there had been quite a few sites but i am yet to review a fully functional one that actually does what it promises to do.
Maybe i am not caught up, so feel free to tell me some of the successful ones.
By the way, have anyone heard of nigerE? Check them out on www.nigerE.com and tell me what you think.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by blogger77: 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2012
Dear Sellers,

Have new and used products for sale? Let us take your business to the next level for you so that you can concentrate more on managing your business. List your products on www.justbuyorsell.com and leverage on our experience and FREE selling services available. We will handle the marketing of your products to prospective buyers for FREE

www.Justbuyorsell.com offers you these opportunities:
- 100% online secure payment options for your buyers
- 100% Fraud Free Auction Guarantee for both buyers and sellers
- No monthly or maintenance fee, No listing and relisting fees so you can afford to offer your buyers the best possible prices
- List as bid or instantbuy. Choose any selling model that best suits your business plan, bid or instantbuy
- Opportunity to accept payment for your products to your bank account
- ONLY pays 3.7% on every transaction carried out using www.justbuyorsell.com online platform. You pay nothing except when you make money through justbuyorsell.com

Visit www.justbuyorsell.com today to start listing your products for FREE. For further inquiries, contact us, we will respond to all your questions as soon as possible.

Email: auctionmaster@justbuyorsell.com
Mobile: +2348071496074
Fax: +23417397016
www.justbuyorsell.com

Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by oshinki: 5:31am On Dec 20, 2013
Hi,

The much awaited online marketplace similar to eBay has finally arrived. The site offers various formats of buying and selling such as auction, fixed price, classified ads and wanted ads. There is also an option to make offers to negotiate price of products with sellers just the way you do in any physical marketplace to get great deals.

For Jobs, there is reverse auctions where freelancers can send proposals for jobs they are interested in, get hired and work and get paid online. You can find work and recruit freelancers on a contract basis i.e. jobs such as web developer, programmer, graphic designer, wedding planner jobs etc.

Site was launched on the 18th December, 2013, so hurry now and register while the christmas offer last.

All the issues about secure shipping, online payment and user verification have been thoroughly addressed.

Visit - www.instantasales.com.ng

Registration is Free.

List unlimited products and jobs for Free.

Recall this message -
oshinki: Hello friends,

There's an on-line auction site coming soon that would turn things around, making shopping on-line (auction) much more fun, exciting, reliable and secure in Nigeria. Something Nigerians would be proud of and would be measurable with eBay's, gumtree and amazon.

I have read through the conversations below and i am interested in having further discussions with the following individuals on this thread, Kachi_face, Tayogeorge, Tee111 and TTjohn

Additionally, programmers and IT experts, Logistics experts and other experience hands in on-line ecommerce in Nigeria would be welcome to have a chat with me by sending me an email on oshinki2@hotmail.com, my phone number would be released after constructive discussions via email.

regards,

K.

Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by luckynas(m): 5:25am On Jan 05, 2014
kachi_face: Wow! Nice conversation going on here,

Omoita* incidentally i work for 234world.com and delivery for us is excellent. We deliver within 24-48 hours depending on which part of the country. About theft and all, well, i guess that's part of the risks in business. We have a refunds policy and tight audit and feedback processes. We have been doing this for about 2years now and had only one incident where a laptop was stolen, but of course, that had to be replaced immediately and also we investigated and the perpetrators were brought to book!

The problem we have here in Naija is we fail to follow principles. Life is about principles. Follow them and you'll definitely smile, break them and they will hurt you real bad. We run businesses haphazardly, live anyhow and without rules, then we want to get the results that europeans and americans get in an organized environment. 1+1=2 in every part of the world, Nigeria inclusive! What we have done at 234world.com is to organize our operations and implement standard procedures for both our external and internal (most importantly) operations, that way, we could easily trace the point at which the item was stolen and of course, we plugged it and everyone else in the chain had to sit up, knowing that the audit process etc that our bosses and consultants set in place actually work.

Anyway, like Lotachi rightly said, the only way to develop Nigeria's e-commerce is to use it, with caution - yes, but use it. We have to also look at ways of synergizing and not everybody jumping in and trying to be a solo superstar.

Seun: Nairaland is an excellent forum, just as I write this, I see very many ways of monetizing the traffic you have here, it's easy, very very easy. One of the ways may be integration with us at 234world.com - (That one, we will discuss in private, ha, ha, ).

We're waiting for all the nairaland visitors resident in Naija to visit us at 234world.coma and actually make purchases. One of the things the public does not know is that Interswitch has a complaints and reversal system/policy whereby if you buy anything online using their payment gateway and you dont get value for your money, you can get to them, submit your complaint and have the money reversed directly from the website back into your bank account! Knowledge is power - that's what we lack in Naija, people need to know their rights and the wealth of resources available to them.

Well, cash on collection is good, but we have tried it and people make orders and when it arrives, they laugh and are like , "we just wanted to know if it was real, if your system actually works" You wish you could kill them, but you cant! That's Naija and, that's Naija.

Well, the best way to make these conveniences we see abroad come here is to encourage them when they are starting up. Somebody had to use ebay, someone had to be the first to signup, someone had to be #1 or #100 or #1,000 up till they now have millions of active subscribers,

Thanks all, I am on my way back to 234world.com, and I expect to see all of you there.

Hello,
I have never heard of 234world b4 2day but will check it out later( that means your adverts are not enoough).
But I want to ask is it like ebay where different sellers can get an account and sell their items. Hope its not just u bieng the only seller in that case its nothing different and also aution style selling will be nice too.
Re: Building A Nigerian Auction Site A.k.a. Nigerian Ebay Site by jasedu60: 11:12pm On Jun 03, 2015
[size=54pt]eBoso[/size]

[size=24pt]Africa's No.1 Bidding site.[/size]

www.eBoso.com

(1) (Reply)

Is A Print Media License Required To Publish A Magazine? / Ugu/ugwu Pods/seeds For Sale In Bulk - Pictures Attached / As A Rich Person Now: If You Were Broke, What Would You Do To Become Rich Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.