Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,775 members, 7,889,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:35 PM

Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues (10574 Views)

Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses / SEC, NNPC, Top List Of Agencies Stealing Billions Of Federal Revenues - Report / Facebook Rakes In $1.6 Billion In First Half 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by idiopathic: 11:44am On Mar 10, 2011
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/18880-mtn-nigeria-rakes-in-n749-billion-revenues-

•Profit hits N473 billion

The MTN Group on Tuesday released full year results for its financial year ended December 2010, showing that its Nigerian operations remain the most profitable of its global operations.

The MTN Group’s financial results show that the Group’s total revenues globally for 2010 stood at N2.57 trillion (115 billion rand) while earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBIDTA) stood at N1.07 trillion (48 billion rand).

A break-down of the Group’s results however shows that MTN Nigeria, which remains its biggest operations, also contributed the most to the Group’s revenues and profits in 2010.

MTN Nigeria made total revenues of N749 billion in 2010, 29% of the Group’s total revenues in 2010, while EBITDA for MTN Nigeria was N473 billion, 41% of the Group’s total EBITDA.

Analysis of MTN Group’s profit after tax for 2010 however shows its West and Central Africa operations - made up mainly of MTN Nigeria and MTN Ghana - contributed N269 billion (12 billion rand) or 71% of the Group’s profit after tax of N377 billion (16.83 billion rand).

BusinessDay could not access specific profit after tax figure for MTN Nigeria operations, but analysis of the MTN Group’s West and Central Africa revenue figures shows that MTN Nigeria alone contributed 66% of the region’s revenues and 77% of its EBITDA.

Analysts say this is likely to translate into MTN Nigeria contributing nothing less than 70% of MTN Group’s West and Central Africa profit after tax, which means that profit after tax for MTN Nigeria could be as high as N188 billion, making it the most profitable company in Nigeria.

BusinessDay analysis of MTN’s full year results confirms that MTN Nigeria is the Group’s most profitable operations, as the EBITDA margin in its Nigerian operations is the highest for all its operations globally.

“MTN Nigeria’s EBITDA margin increased by 3.7 percentage points to 62.9% as of December 31, 2010. This was mainly due to the operation achieving better economies of scale and various ongoing cost control initiatives,” according to a statement obtained on MTN Nigeria’s 2010 full year results from the Group’s website.

The MTN Group earned the next highest EBITDA margin of 44.3% in its Ghana operations while EBITDA margin in MTN Iran stood at 41.1%. EBITDA margin in MTN South Africa stood at 34%, while MTN Syria offered the lowest EBITDA margin of 23.1% in the MTN Group.
MTN Nigeria also had the highest subscriber base of 38.7 million, about 27% of the MTN Group’s global subscriber base of 141.9 million at the end of 2010.

Reviewing the operations of MTN Nigeria, the MTN Group stated that its Nigerian operations “performed well for the period under review despite increased competition in the fourth quarter; increasing its market share to 52% through the capture of more than 60% of the subscribers added by the market in 2010.

This was as a result of attractive segmented promotions to customers and effective churn management. Improved customer service and product accessibility through enhanced distribution channels and customer call centres also contributed to the subscriber base increasing by 25% over the year to 38.7 million.”

The MTN Group declared a final cash dividend of N78.41 kobo per share (R3.49). It had paid an initial interim dividend of about N36 per share (R1.51) bringing total dividend for its 2010 financial year to about N114 (R5.00) per share.

“This dividend payout was very positive, but not spectacular,” Ziyad Joosub, an analyst at JP Morgan, told Reuters.

We believe this is only the first step towards a more generous cash return policy in future years, which could include extraordinary dividend distributions and share buybacks, because the company is cash flush.”

Shares of MTN, the largest company with a primary listing in Johannesburg, surged 3.5 percent to N2, 918.84 per share (130.15 rand) after the announcement of the results.

However, the outgoing CEO of the MTN Group, Phuthuma Nhleko, dashed speculation the company could eventually spin off its international operations which includes Nigeria.

“Under no circumstances will we entertain an arrangement whereby MTN International is either separated from, or not controlled by, the MTN Group,” he said. “That, for us, is just not negotiable.”

Nigerian analysts have called on MTN to list its Nigerian operations on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).

In 2008, MTN Nigeria did a private placement in which it sold 5.96% of its stakes for $594.50 million in a private placement exercise which the MTN Group says gave Nigerian individuals and institutions a 9.45% stakes in MTN Nigeria and reduced the Group’s stake to 76.08%.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by kunlekunle: 12:15pm On Mar 10, 2011
if mtn made this all the directors of nitel should be sacked for gross incompetence.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Guyman02: 12:20pm On Mar 10, 2011
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by okenwa(m): 12:37pm On Mar 10, 2011
pls they(mtn) should be thinking of cutting down tarrifs now
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by papagiddy(m): 12:44pm On Mar 10, 2011
chi!! mo gbe! my money i also included in this revenue.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by iyatrustee(f): 12:45pm On Mar 10, 2011
^^^ and mine too egbon cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by dave2(m): 12:46pm On Mar 10, 2011
And yet has one of the most expensive tariffs in Naija.
Nonsense angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by mount1ng(m): 12:57pm On Mar 10, 2011
They claim to be spending so much to run a cell site that's why the tariff can't come down, yet they a making such profit. Aba! Who are you fooling Money Transfer Network (MTN) to South Africa.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by mrofficial(m): 1:05pm On Mar 10, 2011
Mobile Thieving Network. I'm not surprised, 'cos they are in Nigeria to ripoff.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by mrofficial(m): 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2011
Y'all using MTN can keep moaning. But t then, you know the right thing. It's better that a Nigerian mobile network steals me than a xenophobic South African mobile network. That will be an act of over mumu.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by bxg(m): 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2011
useless ntwork gonna break deir sim into 2 deres neva ntwork on deir blackberry service angry angry angry angry angry cry cry
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Tokotaya: 1:14pm On Mar 10, 2011
Before I comment, are we sure of these figures? Or did the reporter work it out from extrapolation/ speculation cos I read the same results in other newspapers local and foreign and didnt see these figures?
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Mobinga: 1:15pm On Mar 10, 2011
Phucking Bastards. Bad network. We pay about $80 for internet services with a 5gb limit and yet that brich is slow (300kb/sec) maximum! Imagine that bullshit. Electricity should not even be a topic here. We are getting so phucking ripped off. And Ndukwe of NCC just sits down and keeps quiet because he's chopping their money. Cow

Koreans pay as little as $5 for a month with unlimited data plans??

What a massive rip-off. These MultiNationals are just crooks.
GLO all the way.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by denitro(m): 1:21pm On Mar 10, 2011
In Ghana here, you can make MTN to MTN calls for as low as Ghc0.015 (N1.50k)
in Nigeria, guys what's the rate?
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Donmeca(m): 1:28pm On Mar 10, 2011
Mobinga:

Phucking Bastards. Bad network. We pay about $80 for internet services with a 5gb limit and yet that brich is slow (300kb/sec) maximum! Imagine that bullshit. Electricity should not even be a topic here. We are getting so phucking ripped off. And [b]Ndukwe of NCC just sits [/b]down and keeps quiet because he's chopping their money. Cow

GLO all the way.    

Ndukwe is no longer NCC boss bro
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by akinalabi(m): 1:31pm On Mar 10, 2011
When are they going public?

I need their shares badly.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by abhosts(m): 1:33pm On Mar 10, 2011
Mobinga:

Phucking Bastards. Bad network. We pay about $80 for internet services with a 5gb limit and yet that brich is slow (300kb/sec) maximum! Imagine that bullshit. Electricity should not even be a topic here. We are getting so phucking ripped off. And Ndukwe of NCC just sits down and keeps quiet because he's chopping their money. Cow

GLO all the way.    

N8,000 equates to about $52, not $80.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by ayusman16(m): 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2011
Rather than complain, lets just change network, There is tiwa tiwa (glo) network oo.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by DisGuy: 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2011
Why y'all complaining like you dont have OPTIONS?
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by ayusman16(m): 1:40pm On Mar 10, 2011
Dis Guy:

Why y'all complaining like you dont have OPTIONS?

My bro. The thing tire.

They complain of exploitation and yet continue using the network. Dem put gun for una head?
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by babaowo: 1:54pm On Mar 10, 2011
Naija dey pay high tarrif but mtn dey make high profit and ppl dey live in highest poverty lol
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by ayusman16(m): 2:00pm On Mar 10, 2011
babaowo:

Naija dey pay high tarrif but mtn dey make high profit and ppl dey live in highest poverty lol

What of the money generated from Oil? Your government dey use am enrich themselves. Atleast, you dey use their lines make calls and do business.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 10, 2011
This is the type of revenues and profits that Nitel should have been declaring but its gross incompetence, crass mismanagement, unconscionable sleaze from its management and staff destroyed it just like every thing else the Nigerian Government runs. A bitter lesson that Nigerian government has no business running companies
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Tokotaya: 2:26pm On Mar 10, 2011
denitro:

In Ghana here, you can make MTN to MTN calls for as low as Ghc0.015 (N1.50k)
in Nigeria, guys what's the rate?
Guy too pissed to notice. Ndukwe is now a bloody subscriber like all of us. grin grin
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Tokotaya: 2:33pm On Mar 10, 2011
Ndukwe is no longer NCC boss bro [color=#990000][/color]

Guy too pissed to notice. Ndukwe is now a bloody subscriber like all of us.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by nanidee(f): 2:34pm On Mar 10, 2011
mr.official:

Y'all using MTN can keep moaning. But t then, you know the right thing. It's better that a Nigerian mobile network steals me than a xenophobic South African mobile network. That will be an act of over mumu.

^^ Thank you , you knew exactly what was going on in my mind.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Abayomin70(m): 2:35pm On Mar 10, 2011
useless mtn i pay dem 6000 for 9am to 9pm data plan and i only browse for 2 days GOD will purnish dem i even call there customer care is not at all i live in ago iwoye in oou guys 6000 no be small money and my data plan go expire dis monthby 23 and neva still browse at all
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 10, 2011
I wonder why you guys like developing gray hair. I use mtn to receive calls, etisalat and visaphone to make my calls. And for the data services, l use etisalat 15 mb and mtn-symbian-casts planz.

The mtn plan is fr33 and U.N.L.I.M.I.T.E.D ON PC AND NOKIA MOBILE PHONES. I Download what l want (793Mb downloads since monday), Chat with frendz, update my Facebook and surf as l like. F.R.E.E, UNRESTRICTED. Thank God for MTN FREE DATA PLANS ON Casts JAVA Applications and PC.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 10, 2011
I wonder why you guys like developing gray hair. I use mtn to receive calls, etisalat and visaphone to make my calls. And for the data services, l use etisalat 15 mb and mtn-symbian-casts planz.

The mtn plan is fr33 and U.N.L.I.M.I.T.E.D ON PC AND NOKIA MOBILE PHONES. I Download what l want (793Mb downloads since monday), Chat with frendz, update my Facebook and surf as l like. F.R.E.E, UNRESTRICTED. Thank God for MTN FREE DATA PLANS ON Casts JAVA Applications and PC.
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Odunharry(m): 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2011
dm they try.dm dn xploit people
Re: Mtn Nigeria Rakes In N749 Billion Revenues by Odunharry(m): 2:57pm On Mar 10, 2011
mtn dey vex o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why An Online Business Is The Best Home Business To Make You Rich / Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control / BIRS Seals Fidelity, Zenith Bank, Among Others In Makurdi, Benue State (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.