Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,202 members, 7,974,051 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 02:38 PM

Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying (5959 Views)

Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 / Is This Democracy Day Worth Celebrating In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by monkeyleg: 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2011
@U de vex?,

If you believe the rubbish you wrote you will believe anything.

Now it is very evident why those who can move Nigeria in great stride choose to do nothing, the country is simply full of dunces and lazy idiot, devoid of any sense shame. That is why a grown man can state that PDP does not represent a significant problem for Nigeria. I give Up

There is statement that rings so true in that country "Nigerians are actually worse than thier leaders, hence they get the leaders the deserve"
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by wesley80(m): 10:38pm On Mar 14, 2011
^^^Do u know I actually forgot u were Togolese? No wonder u're so smart unlike Nigerians. Lucky you!
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by monkeyleg: 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2011
^^ you can call me whatever, at least I dont have to wallow in self deceit, neither do I need to accept corrupt money to vote my conscience, that is assuming you have one.

It amazes one, that in 2011, call it modern day Nigeria, that folks are still prepared to be treated like slaves, all because of money
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by wesley80(m): 11:01pm On Mar 14, 2011
^^^ Ngrns really have got a lot to learn from Togolese sha. Bros pls keep yapping jare.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by aletheia(m): 2:28am On Mar 15, 2011
monkeyleg:

. . .neither do I need to accept corrupt money to vote my conscience, that is assuming you have one.

Do you guys actually vote in that your country that was ruled by one man and then handed over to his son upon his death. Togo is not a country, it's a family business.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by SSaemoenl(m): 2:34pm On Mar 17, 2011
I agreed. embarassed
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by pikin(m): 2:40pm On Mar 17, 2011
He can do more than grant interviews. He should organize 100 people, go to Eagle square and start camping there for ever. He would be shocked by how many people would joined up. Problem with Nigeria is our so called moral leaders are not courageous enough to step out of their comfort zones. He means well but I don't know whether he realizes the implication of his statement. If he did, he would be camping out there by now instead of wasting his saliva.

it easy to say, grin
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by pikin(m): 2:42pm On Mar 17, 2011
I have a dream that one day election will be won without rigging in my country Nigeria, grin grin grin[b][/b]
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by ak47mann(m): 3:14pm On Mar 17, 2011
illeke-idi
na only fine legs you get?show us the rest of your body let see as a big chic like you, we want to see your shape please pose well tongue tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by yuzedo: 3:26pm On Mar 17, 2011
Thats one fuckkkking intelligent man! Good lord!!
, Patito'll never concede, but imagine he were Buhari's running mate? I wud've had an org@sm in my 4ucking soul mehn!
, Prof, u just reignited my hero-worship of u, But err, my vote's going to Buhari next month, i promise to give it my all for u in 2015, U WILL rule nigeria one day, u deserve it, even tho we myt not deserve u,
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by hassymo5(m): 3:37pm On Mar 17, 2011
pat is right, our democracy is too expensive, just think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by tlops(m): 4:03pm On Mar 17, 2011
This man has bright Ideas and I dont doubt it, but he should have "strategised" his ambition in a progressive manner :bottom-up instead of the top-down approach he his employing!
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by slap1(m): 4:13pm On Mar 17, 2011
I don't think that Mr. Utomi has a good understanding of Nigeria. If he can allow himself to see beyond his eyeglass, and his economics textbooks, he'll actually see that there's no place for people like him to even become the governor of their states. As the interviewer suggested, he should try to get into the senate and help his people from there, instead of nursing this maniacal fantasy of leading a country where a good percentage of the people he hopes to lead are ignorant of his existence.
Someone should also tell Chris Okotie the same thing.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:48pm On Mar 17, 2011
pat utomi
all i can say is
GEJ/SAMBO all the way,
your just making noise ,if your opportune to be there
believe it
you will do worst
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by koyuid(m): 5:31pm On Mar 17, 2011
MOST OF YOU GUYS HERE STILL DONT GET THE MESSAGE HE IS PASSING!

WHAT A SHAME!
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by efisher(m): 5:45pm On Mar 17, 2011
I think the message is very clear. The question is WHAT NEXT?

I personally appreciate Prof’s point of view. I got some really brilliant developmental ideas from him. However, we do not need any university lectures right now we need concrete action points. At the end of the speech what action points are we taking away? The what, when, who and where questions have not been answered.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by onyidalu(f): 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2011
Areosapien:

Awwww! No more tribalistic slurs? grin What happened? Finally realized your pitiful comments only amount to a hill of cashew nuts to me? Reality finally slapped you hard when you realized you're actually up against an Igbo man who really couldn't care less about the harmless tantrums from hairless rodents like you? grin
Eiyaaaah. I guess you thought you had a sharp tongue all along, when in reality, you're just another pitiful bottom-feeding loser on the internet. Don't worry - I'll now leave you to your defeated soul while you repeat yourself in your schizophrenic melody.
grin
Swine
i like you, n d way u use ur words

anyways i wish Mr Pat can just rest n be an intercessor for Nigerians, till its out of PDP, dey will neva make way for others to come in, i also pray for God's intervention cos no matter ow intelligent u r, how much u know about our problems , it will never solve d issues of our country, all we need is God n tins will be alrit,

Let us Pray for our country,
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by 3kay945(m): 8:02pm On Mar 17, 2011
I voted for this dude some years ago, am not going to waste my vote this tyme around.though he might ve good intention. but he is not the type of leader that can clean the mess EVIL P.D.P has cursed/caused us, SAI BUHARI.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by andyanders: 9:24pm On Mar 17, 2011
ONE OF THE MOST UNUSED BRAINS IN AFRICA. PROF., PAT GOD WILL CONTINUE TO BE WITH YOU EVEN IF YOU DID NOT END UP BECOMING THE PRESIDENT
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by MaiSuya(m): 9:51pm On Mar 17, 2011
It's really unfortunate, but Nigeria's not ready for the Utomi type.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by eros(m): 10:03pm On Mar 17, 2011
I just love this man. How i wish you could lead Nigeria.
God why do the best minds never become the kings of a nation, rather than allow dogs, prisoners and villains to rule us.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by eros(m): 10:16pm On Mar 17, 2011
koyuid:

MOST OF YOU GUYS HERE STILL DONT GET THE MESSAGE HE IS PASSING!

WHAT A SHAME!

My pain exactly. I thought this thread would be an intellectual one, filled with matured debates rather than the childish and name-calling that is now second nature on Nairaland. It's sad that alot of the folks that have posted on this thread don't understand half of what the great Pat Utomi was trying to pass across. This man was definitely born into the wrong country. He should have been an American or British, where he would be better understood and appreciated.

We still have a very long way to go in Nigeria. Not until 70% of Nigerians are well and i mean well educated, nothing will happen in this country. Even the so called educated ones still needs to be re-educated again because its so obvious that alot of folks on here are just EDUCATED ILLITERATES.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by mbulela: 10:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
Utomi, forget it and go face your private business.
We will get the kind of leader we deserve, a mediocre one.
You progressives (whatever that means) are part of the problem, you egos outstrip your patriotism.
Why is every dog forming a party?
why not come together and chase these barbarians away.
Have you heard of the igbo name, Igwebuike?
[b]Ikeotuony[/b]e is nothing compared to it.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by mekaboy(m): 12:40am On Mar 18, 2011

WHY CANT PAT UTOMI-BUHARI-BAKARE WORKT TOGETHER TO TRANSFORM THIS NATION?

LET BUHARI USE HIS INFLUENCE TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY, SINCE THATS ALL HE CAN OFFER, THEN LET HIM ALLOW PAT UTOMI AND BAKARE WORK THINGS OUT, WHILE HE DOES THE APPROVAL .

ITS UNFORTUNATE THAT PAT UTOMI LACKS THE RESOURCES TO GET THERE, BUT WE STILL NEED HIS LIKES IN ASO ROCK AT THE PRESIDENTIAL LEVEL. EVEN IF HE IS NOT THE PRESIDENT.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by VolvoS60(m): 12:45am On Mar 18, 2011
Joseph de Maistre said it once and it has been repeated a thousand times - a country gets the kind of government i.e. leaders it deserves. I have gone through some of the responses to the Utomi interview and the only reasonable emotion is weary resignation.  If the ’Elect’ (who i consider a fair number of people on this board to be, in a manner of speaking) reason in this way, then really, there’s no hope.

In the 2003 elections, I voted for the National Conscience Party’s presidential candidate (the late Gani Fawehinmi). In the 2007 election, I voted for the Áfrican Democratic Congress’ presidential candidate (Pat Utomi). In my naivete and folly, I genuinely believed these parties and their candidates had struck a chord with the electorate, and that Nigerians (to the last man & woman) were tired of robber barons and carpetbaggers and were prepared for change. Forlorn hope. Gani, Utomi et al failed, and failed badly.

Part of the reason why they failed was poor preparation and perhaps an underestimation of the scale of the challenge in contesting for (and wresting) power from the ruling party. Having said that, what shocked me most (in ’03 &’07) was the attitude of the voting blocs which i had thought would be the natural allies of the Gani Fawehinmi & Pat Utomi candidacies. In Utomi’s case, a lot of middle & upper class folk who should have understood and identified with what he was (and still is) saying, turned out to be his worst critics.  And rather than take a stand for truth, these folk cast their votes for death and darkness (the PDP), the results of which are plain for all to see.

Make no mistake about it: from the evidence i have before my eyes, it is going to get worse for Nigeria before it gets better. (That is, if its going to get better at all). The wise often say that life is about choices, and those choices have consequences. This holds true for individual citizens as well as for the collective called Nigeria. It cannot be otherwise.

@Wesley80 – the likes of Utomi & co have actually spent a lot of time and effort providing ‘real workable solutions and realistic alternatives’ to the status quo. If Nigerians have chosen not to take up the offer, then so be it. After all, he ran for office. What was Nigeria’s response?

And note that his ‘crashing the democracy’ comment should not be taken out of context. If you look closely, you’ll see that his recommendations tally with some of those of the proponents of a sovereign national conference, an idea that has been around for a long time. And while i agree that an SNC presents all kinds of problems in practice, the alternative (maintaining the status quo) is worse, much worse.

@Monkeyleg – you are spot on in your assessment of Nigerians. We (The People) are our own worst enemies. Some of us have derided Utomi et al for running for office. What else do we want these men to do?  There are only two options for getting power – ballots or bullets. Utomi has chosen ballots (at least for now) and yet he is being mocked for that choice?

@Rossike- enough with the provocation. The author of the article in the Christian Science Monitor link you provided was circumspect in his assessment of Nigeria’s chances as an emerging markets economy.  Very cautious indeed. He outlined the huge obstacles in the way (the energy/power crisis and the diesel & generator mafia profiting from it, a banking sector which has ignored the real sector in favour of an import-dependent trading/commercial sector, etc). The clear message in the article is that Nigeria’s intended membership of the club of emerging economies hangs upon some key conditions (and that list of conditions is by no means exhaustive in my view) being met. Will these conditions be met? NO. Not with the way the country’s institutions and political/business frameworks are currently structured.

And on the issue of foreign reserves, don’t forget the kind of country you live in and the kind of leaders you have. In a few months you might just end up eating your words. It is entirely possible that your 48 billion USD could be down to less than 5 billion in a few months time. We have seen this happen before.

P.S.  Utomi, like any other man, has his weaknesses. I am reasonably sure one of his biggest regrets is that his party was unable to form a strong coalition with the other opposition parties to challenge the PDP in the forthcoming elections. Agreed. But you cannot accuse him of woolly thinking or lacking vision. The real problem is those of us who should know better but have wilfully chosen to dismiss him as a crackpot with unworkable ideas.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 18, 2011
We Nigerians are just animals, idiots, ignorant, bastards, etc, Reasons for coursing all of us are many and is simple, This man spoke well regardless of action or not, he carefully listed ways he believes Nigeria as a country could move forward and all some of us can do is to abuse and insults him. Since your good for nothing parents are benefiting from the broken system, then it will be hard to reminisce on our past. Most Nigerians in abroad are like mad dogs, lions pretending to be human being, looking for ways of devouring other people of their hard earn money, inclusive of my very self. Reason? Simply because we have been abandoned by our great demonic governments. Haven't said all that, this man is just pouring it out straight from his heart because deep down in him he knows things can be right if we are conscious enough to fight back. Haven't said that, all man have sinned and fall short of God's glory, but there is always a room to repent and make things right for our selves and people around. He might have stepped wrongly before and harbored bad habit, but based on what i read here, he really makes sense. Stop looking for anyone's past mistake when the person is making sense. If the person is not making sense to you then he might be to others. Don't follow him, follow whom your mind consent with. All and all, let just move the country to a right place if we have the chance to. Spit out good comments for those that deserves it and denounce those that are dragging us backward. Reply with whatever u like, it wont remove the tiniest hair in my body,
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by GP15: 2:44am On Mar 18, 2011
Pls house, kindly help, Who is Pat Utomi running mate?? I am writing a magazine and I have all the presidential aspirant and their VPs, except this dude, anybody who know it, kindly post
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by dazzy4real(m): 4:44am On Mar 18, 2011
guys tell me the truth did anyone actually read this thing from the beginning to the end?
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by jensinmi(m): 5:30am On Mar 18, 2011
@ Volvo S60 and Kevdada
MAY GOD BLESS YOU BOTH ONE MILLION TIMES!!

Matthew 23 summarizes with is wrong with a lot of Nigerians and a lot of the folks here on Nairaland

Matthew 23:34 - Therefore, I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers of religious law. But you will kill some by crucifixion, and you will flog others with whips in your synagogues, chasing them from city to city.

Matthew 23:35 - I tell you the truth, this judgment will fall on this very generation. 

Matthew 23: 25 - What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are filthy--full of greed and self-indulgence.
We fail to take not of what is on the inside. We are too obsessed with the outside. Instead of paying attention to the message, we take our prejudices, anger, and resentment out on the messenger. We fail to know that God can use a clay vessel to bless us; but, because we are obsessed with what is on the outside, we will focus on the fact that it is clay, and spit at it, reject it, insult it.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by newbreed1: 10:14am On Mar 18, 2011
Mr Pat, sorry Dr Pat, pls just go back home,
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by koyuid(m): 10:51am On Mar 18, 2011
A few years ago one nobel prize winner said Africans were not intelligent enough to keep up with the rest of the world. Truth is our leaders are a reflection of us. We have a long way to go, in this part of the world common sense is not so common what we have is common stupidity. with some of the replies i am seeing on this thread i weep for this country.
Re: Let’s Crash This Democracy – Pat Utomi • Nigeria Is Dying by pmy: 10:56am On Mar 18, 2011
we dnt hv leaders in this country. non of them is ready to take the risk like mandella or gandhi or martin luther did. well few ppl like wole soyinka, bakare gani could be said to have matched their words with action. most of them like pat utomi are timid. only speak english

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Demands Refund Of N16 Billion Illegal Deductions On Power By FG / 1.5million Email Address Of Top Business Executives And Ceos In Nigeria / Breaking News- Aregbesola Out Omisore In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.