Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,593 members, 7,926,736 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 09:17 PM

Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent (636 Views)

Soldiers Invade Kwara Police Station, ‘eject Rescued Students With Force’ / Enugu PDP Youths Eject Vice Chairman For Not Providing Mobilisation Funds / Land Owners To Eject Rochas Okorocha - Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by GreenAgain: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2020
Godfrey Onyeama, the minister of foreign affairs, says the landlord of the building where the Nigerian embassy in Hungary is located is threatening to evict the embassy.

Onyeama was speaking while defending the ministry’s 2021 budget at the house of representatives in Abuja on Tuesday.

The minister said one of the challenges the ministry is facing is the movement of officers, ambassadors and their families.

He explained that the ministry needs N1.6 billion to move ambassadors and pay officers N3.7 billion, making a total of N5.3 billion for the whole movement.

The minister said there is a need to address the inadequate overhead budgetary provisions to the missions, which is resulting in a lot of debt for electricity and rent.

“Just on Monday, the ambassador in Hungary called to say they are going to throw them out from the chancery building. That the landlord is coming and that they do not have the money to pay,” NAN quoted him to have said.

“And we get that from a lot of missions across the world and that is not a sustainable way of running foreign service.

“Then this exchange rate differential with the CBN is really something we need to address once and for all.

“It is not so easy, all of these things are computed in naira and all the payments abroad are in dollars and once the exchange rate is changed, it never goes the other way, it always goes up, it never comes down vis-a-vis the dollar. This means immediate shortfall for all our missions.”

Onyeama said the federal government is making plans to reduce the number of international organisations Nigeria belongs to because of a scarcity of funds.

“We are owing a lot, and in the federal executive council (FEC), there is a process to rationalise and cut down on the international organisations we belong to,” he said.

“This is because we are just owing monies left and right and it is not even good for the image of the country.

“A lot of our missions are eyesores and it is just a huge embarrassment to the country that we can have missions in such terrible conditions.

“We have been receiving letters from the national assembly forwarding to us various claims and judgement and asking us to pay them.

“We have a big challenge with clothing allowances, as you know, all officers in our missions from grade level 7 and above are entitled to $2,500 clothing allowance per annum.

“In the 2021 budget, about 1,312 officers will be expecting the payment of these allowances and if you take at the CBN official rate, we are looking at N1.2 billion.

“What we have available is N762 million for that, to able to pay the clothing allowances, we still need an additional sum of N500 million.”

In July, Onyeama said the federal government is considering a review of embassy operations across the world.

https://www.thecable.ng/onyeama-landlord-threatening-to-eject-nigerian-embassy-in-hungary-over-owed-rent
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Kaduna1stson: 10:14pm On Nov 03, 2020
Out country under this administration have broken all known shameful rules and still breaking it's own shame records again.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by estirocky(f): 10:17pm On Nov 03, 2020
cool
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by donbachi(m): 10:26pm On Nov 03, 2020
Nothing dem no dey chop...even house rent.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Sunofgod(m): 10:27pm On Nov 03, 2020
IT'S better
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by kalu61(m): 10:44pm On Nov 03, 2020
"He explained that the ministry needs N1.6 billion to move ambassadors and pay officers N3.7 billion, making a total of N5.3 billion for the whole movement*

Nigerian and wasted, money could have used to purchase an embassy there.

Anyways, na your pocket you de hustle so
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by sapientia(m): 10:52pm On Nov 03, 2020
Anything to milk Nigeria dry.

When will those allowances be reviewed.

Oh.. I forgot.

NASS won't even talk about it because it will expose their own scam.

The horror of what we found ourselves in.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by moshoodn(m): 11:13pm On Nov 03, 2020
I bow my head.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by dollarstays: 11:29pm On Nov 03, 2020
oset e:: grin
broda onyeama dont be afraid to come back home ....we get people here wey de follow us watch their own live broadcast ,there is no harm in you broadcasting live in hungary from nigeria....trust us,we will believe that you are in hungary even when you are just beside us....

1 Like

Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Commonsense99: 11:47pm On Nov 03, 2020
grin

They have embezzled their own house rent.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by thatsleepboy1: 1:43am On Nov 04, 2020
With the way this nation is towing it's paths these days and even mbaka issuing a warning to the present day FG, if egedes should rule this nation with their hot Cultism head, nigeria will be sweet talkless of these set of pple. Kaaaaiiiiii
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by adekola4258: 5:45am On Nov 04, 2020
Out country under this administration have broken all known shameful rules and still breaking it's own shame records again.
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Lipscomb(m): 5:50am On Nov 04, 2020
They should close that embassy instead of wasting money on it what Nigeria want to benefit from Hungary?
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Karemarealty288(m): 6:47am On Nov 04, 2020
Under Buhari Nigeria has hit rock bottom.

Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by thundafire: 8:15am On Nov 04, 2020
Leave Islamic organization
Re: Onyeama: Landlord Threatening To Eject Nigerian Embassy i Hungary Over Owed Rent by Kingfisherr: 8:49am On Nov 04, 2020
This country nawa o.. Our image has been dragged to the mud by both corrupt individuals in Govt and the private sector.

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Fingers Accountant General Of The Federation In Multi-billion Naira Assets / Gombe State APC Holds Massive Mega Rally Over LG Poll / FG Orders Varsities To Suspend Academic Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.