Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,293 members, 7,913,678 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 10:49 AM

United States Electoral College Explained - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / United States Electoral College Explained (50293 Views)

U.S. Electoral College Begins Voting / DonaId Trump: I Will Give up Power If Electoral College Votes Biden In December / US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by xxxXXXxxx: 2:16pm On Nov 06, 2020
Interesting!
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by ChikezieU(m): 2:34pm On Nov 06, 2020
leicestercamper:
Useless explanation from a Nigerian local champion- Maria Ude.

Electoral college is a form of allocation of numbers backed by the constitution to each state in America usually determined by the resident state population. Some states have 3, 4, 10, 20, 30, etc. depending on the residency population.

Like California has the highest electoral votes, followed by Texas. Politically, some states are more important to political parties than others.

For instance, Wyoming, DC, Delaware, North & South Carolina have the least electoral votes, so politically speaking an American politician gives more attention to California, Texas and other states with high electoral votes, than states with least electoral votes.

See the way the electoral votes are classified.
you basically repeated Maria Udeh analysis so why the insult/name calling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by kingsworldola: 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2020
ipobarecriminals:
cool Sai BIDEN
Nigerians will never change
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

I guess you are confusing me with someone else. You can check all my previous posts, I haven't spoken in FAVOUR of EC, POPULAR VOTES or any other form of electioneering.

What I spoke about was EXPLAINING THE EC on this post to people who did not understand it. So I simplified it to their understanding. In your case, you were clearly against EC and I wanted to hear why, know your logical arguments and weigh it with the knowledge I have on American electioneering using the EC. I also pointed out some of the demerits of the popular vote system, to show it's far from a perfect system like EC.

like I stated all electioneering process in democracy have merits and demerits. The KOKO rather should the the electoral umpires should hold credible, free and fair election without rigging irrespective of the system used in voting.

So sorry for mistaken you for someone else.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by onlyfacts: 3:43pm On Nov 06, 2020
byrron:

So sorry for mistaken you for someone else.

It happens, it's no problem
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Jaykrown: 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

The electoral college works on a state level and its a winner takes all kind of system. Take for example California, it has 55 electoral College votes. If a republican gets the highest number of votes in California, it means the electoral college of California will give all their electoral votes to the Republican presidential candidate which is 55. The Democratic candidate will only take the votes casts for him but nothing from the electoral college.

So in this case above it is still the votes of the people that the electoral college works on.

Overall a presidential candidate can still win the highest number of votes and lose at the electoral college. How is this possible?

There are 52 states in the US, and all this states have different populations and different electoral college votes assigned to them. It's just like Nigeria, we have 36 states but they don't have the same population. Lagos, Kano, rivers etc have higher populations compared to the others, win this state with a great margin and you win the election in Nigeria.

In America the objective is almost similar, win the states with the most electoral college votes by winning majority of the votes in that state. Even if those states are 22 states and combined they have electoral college votes of 270 which is needed to win the presidential election, it is more important than winning remaining 26 states that have electoral college votes combined less than 270.

Now how each states are assigned electoral college votes is fair, so cheating is out of it. Each candidate knows what has to be done to get to 270 before election, and if they fail to meet it it's their fault.
Thanks for the enlightenment bro..
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by onlyfacts: 4:13pm On Nov 06, 2020
Jaykrown:

Thanks for the enlightenment bro..

Thank you for reading.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by RuggedSniper: 4:20pm On Nov 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

The electoral college works on a state level and its a winner takes all kind of system. Take for example California, it has 55 electoral College votes. If a republican gets the highest number of votes in California, it means the electoral college of California will give all their electoral votes to the Republican presidential candidate which is 55. The Democratic candidate will only take the votes casts for him but nothing from the electoral college.

So in this case above it is still the votes of the people that the electoral college works on.

Overall a presidential candidate can still win the highest number of votes and lose at the electoral college. How is this possible?

There are 52 states in the US, and all this states have different populations and different electoral college votes assigned to them. It's just like Nigeria, we have 36 states but they don't have the same population. Lagos, Kano, rivers etc have higher populations compared to the others, win this state with a great margin and you win the election in Nigeria.

In America the objective is almost similar, win the states with the most electoral college votes by winning majority of the votes in that state. Even if those states are 22 states and combined they have electoral college votes of 270 which is needed to win the presidential election, it is more important than winning remaining 26 states that have electoral college votes combined less than 270.

Now how each states are assigned electoral college votes is fair, so cheating is out of it. Each candidate knows what has to be done to get to 270 before election, and if they fail to meet it it's their fault.
WORD!

1 Share

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by ibuildstuff(m): 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2020
Sunisonflex39:
Is it only me that thinks that this electoral college setting is easy vote buying.. A president can walk up to a governor or so and pay him so and so dollars to vote for him.. At least this one will be easier than going over to the citizens to share tradermoni farmermoni feedingmoni and all sort of nonsense moni we have here in Nigeria..
Is not that easy. That's were party loyalty come in, imagine Trump going to bribe a Democrat governor to vote him.

That would be outrageous, or imagine Biden going to bribe a republican to vote him.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Evans2019: 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2020
[quote author=dollarsplenty post=95739626]Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

Before you answer, think about the real definition of democracy.

You are right my brother, nor bi election them they conduct again since the people’s vote doesn’t count technically

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Hssd8: 10:39pm On Nov 06, 2020
Who cares about the grammar. Still trying to prove smartness with someone else's language. Please... Go and rest abeg. You been overall best still doesn't prove anything I was also the best in my set. By 24 years old I have Finished my masters degree program in Computer and micro electronics systems, working in one of the best software companies you can think of. See everyone have something to boast or show off, but the fact that you have to always bring tribe and region that's what shows how shallow you are.
Minjim:

First of, your comment is laced with a plethora of grammatical and punctuational errors. Nonetheless, I'll overlook that and reply you.

I had my first degree in Katsina (Fat.Kat) and I was the overall best my school.
So you see...
When most of you start reasoning outside ethnic and religion intolerance that's when you get the regard you assume you deserve.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Epitectus(m): 11:14pm On Nov 06, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Note: For those mentioning me out of context, if few electors have more power than the real population, then what is the essence of people's power? When 538 electors have more power than over 300million people.

I was just about saying that...
how can just 538 people have more power than the whole populace?
If it is the electoral college decides who becomes President,why conduct a general election?
We know the people want Biden but from what I'm seeing,this so called "electoral college" will still keep on forcing Trump down their throats
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 12:09am On Nov 07, 2020
agabusta:

Kano has more representatives at the National Assembly.
thats true but Lagos is the same as Kano so the millions million hits wouldn't have effect.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Denko2721987(m): 12:27am On Nov 07, 2020
PervertProphet:

Just imagine Africa was the US and Nigeria and Ethiopia- two of the largest States in the US of Africa and they always vote Democrats. It would mean automatically that like forever. They would be the States determining and voting only democrats into power. This automatically doesn't reflect everyone's Choice as the Republicans would be largely disenfranchised and there would be no America as of today. The founding fathers of the United States envisaged a beautiful idea with the Electoral college vote to counter this.

Don't speak on something you don't understand the foundation of why it was set up.

I think we should do something of same nature in Nigeria and avoid how the collosal failure called Buhari was popularly forced on every other tribe in Nigeria because of the size of the North and the West.

Perfectly understand your point.. But the fact is even with this system adopted in Nigeria, it wouldnt change much as the Northern electoral college will still collectively vote whoever they've made up their mind to vote with one mind becos they are more united in purpose than the southerners which we all know will have lots of splits (as we be oversabi people).. Its only if they (the north) dont have the numbers in electoral colleges that things might be different which leads me to this question.. What determines the number of electoral colleges a states has? Its population?? Or what exactly...?

1 Like

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Denko2721987(m): 12:34am On Nov 07, 2020
dangermouse:
The electoral college comes in when there is no clear winner in a given presidential race. Same voters votes in there representatives who in turn casts a shngle vote on thier behalf...

But Hillary Clinton had more popular votes over Trump in the last election making her the clear winner.. So why then did they utilize the electoral college votes instead which Trump eventually used to be president.. Or i'm i missing the point you made?
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Denko2721987(m): 12:37am On Nov 07, 2020
byrron:

The electoral college if implemented in Nigeria will still end up producing the likes of buhari by simply allocating more electoral college votes to northern states, that's all that needs to be done to achieve the same outcome happening in Nigeria at the moment even without an electoral college.

That is it.. Its the same point i made too... Electoral college votes wont change anything in Nigeria..
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by Denko2721987(m): 12:38am On Nov 07, 2020
fineboynl:
it was a time when the population was iliterate. the few educated was afraid of allowing the iliterate population to decide the future of the country. but I think that law has outlived the purpose for which it was created.

Exactly
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 2:16am On Nov 07, 2020
Epitectus:

I was just about saying that...
how can just 538 people have more power than the whole populace?
If it is the electoral college decides who becomes President,why conduct a general election?
We know the people want Biden but from what I'm seeing,this so called "electoral college" will still keep on forcing Trump down their throats
funny enough the people elected the electors so their decision is based on what is happening, at least no bill proposal has been proposed to be amended in the constitution, the farmers of the constitution surely did it for some justifications.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 2:18am On Nov 07, 2020
Denko2721987:

Perfectly understand your point.. But the fact is even with this system adopted in Nigeria, it wouldnt change much as the Northern electoral college will still collectively vote whoever they've made up their mind to vote with one mind becos they are more united in purpose than the southerners which we all know will have lots of splits (as we be oversabi people).. Its only if they (the north) dont have the numbers in electoral colleges that things might be different which leads me to this question.. What determines the number of electoral colleges a states has? Its population?? Or what exactly...?
yes obviously, the numbers of representatives the people has in the Congress determine the electors each state would have, i.e numbers of senators and House of representatives members.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 2:21am On Nov 07, 2020
Denko2721987:

But Hillary Clinton had more popular votes over Trump in the last election making her the clear winner.. So why then did they utilize the electoral college votes instead which Trump eventually used to be president.. Or i'm i missing the point you made?
that statement is misleading, the electoral college is to vote the president not the popular vote, the electoral college have other states advantage over states with large population. you can always use Google to make research.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 5:26am On Nov 07, 2020
jadeliyi:

thats true but Lagos is the same as Kano so the millions million hits wouldn't have effect.

The current system of popular votes is of more advantage to Lagos because Lagos will be delivering all its big numbers directly to the election.

In that case, either/all the participants in the election will get a piece of all the votes in Lagos. Only one participant will get all Lagos electoral votes in the option of electoral college.

Also, If we are going the electoral college way based on current realities (nos of Representatives at NASS), the impact of Lagos on elections will be seriously eroded as Lagos has less representation at NASS than Kano.

I personally believe our current system is better suited for our political environment than the electoral college option.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by agabusta: 5:39am On Nov 07, 2020
Denko2721987:

Yes, population and ultimately, representation at the legislature.

The state electors is gotten by adding: the number of their representatives at House of Representatives and the Senate.

An exception to this is the capital, which is arbitrarily assigned the number of electors of the smallest state.

To use this system in Nigeria, the battle will start with getting accurate census figures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 7:28am On Nov 07, 2020
agabusta:

The current system of popular votes is of more advantage to Lagos because Lagos will be delivering all its big numbers directly to the election.

In that case, either/all the participants in the election will get a piece of all the votes in Lagos. Only one participant will get all Lagos electoral votes in the option of electoral college.

Also, If we are going the electoral college way based on current realities (nos of Representatives at NASS), the impact of Lagos on elections will be seriously eroded as Lagos has less representation at NASS than Kano.

I personally believe our current system is better suited for our political environment than the electoral college option.
you need to check again Lagos has the same representatives as Kano 24 reps, have you studied the numbers of voters that participants in Lagos election. in 2019 only 4 million people voted despite Lagos has the highest number of voters registered.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by dangermouse(m): 7:47am On Nov 07, 2020
Denko2721987:

American election has a pattern of voting. U have to win some key states. Watch this present one closely to understand more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: United States Electoral College Explained by persius555(m): 12:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
dollarsplenty:
Electoral College is anti democracy, it suppresses the people's will.

Democracy doesn't have to be the same all over the world. The democracy in the America.is such because America is a republican country where the component states send individuals to represent the state at the congress..
Canada and UK are all democratic nations but not republican in nature.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by koladata(m): 2:24am On Nov 08, 2020
Xzellentgraphic:
Hmmm....it can't work in naija
its already working in Nigeria. the north are the electoral , who ever wins the north wins presidency
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by ityP(m): 10:25pm On Nov 08, 2020
ebenezer202l:
either you're a democrat satanist or an Islamic terrorist

How far grin
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by ebenezer202l(f): 1:02am On Nov 09, 2020
ityP:

How far grin
you mean the just concluded rigging?
Quote me back after the Supreme Court Judgement
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 6:11am On Nov 09, 2020
dangermouse:
American election has a pattern of voting. U have to win some key states. Watch this present one closely to understand more.
it is not the matter of popular votes, America president is elected by the electoral college, Donald trump has the most electoral college in place of Hillary Clinton.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by dangermouse(m): 6:24am On Nov 09, 2020
jadeliyi:

it is not the matter of popular votes, America president is elected by the electoral college, Donald trump has the most electoral college in place of Hillary Clinton.
Now u have an insight.
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 6:52am On Nov 09, 2020
dangermouse:
Now u have an insight.
i had been following the POTUS election since 2008 so am not new to this .
Re: United States Electoral College Explained by jadeliyi(m): 6:55am On Nov 09, 2020
Denko2721987:

don't be confused the POTUS is elected by electoral college not popular votes, popular votes is useless in choosing the POTUS the founding father and the farmers of the United of America election knows what it's in stake before they use promote the electoral college .

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Unrest In Sunderland City Centre, Uk As Protesters Targets Mosque(photos) / Hamas Built Mock Israeli Town To Practice Attack. Israel Did Nothing. / 6 Lions Escape From Nairobi National Park, One Caught (Photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.