Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,834 members, 7,915,397 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:39 PM

Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful (1105 Views)

How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? / Living With My Married Elder Sister / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by RaymondLegacy(m): 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2020
The older generations think it’s disrespectful for a younger person to say "How are you ?
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by alexsoftwork(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2020
RaymondLegacy:
The older generations think it’s disrespectful for a younger person to say "How are you ?

If the person is elderly, if could have included " sir". Imagine a 7 ur old asking u how u in front of ur friends? For elderly, u put sir.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by ImaIma1(f): 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2020
alexsoftwork:

If the person is elderly, if could have included " sir". Imagine a 7 ur old asking u how u in front of ur friends? For elderly, u put sir.

My 3year old says it all the time. She could just ask "grandma how are you" and the people are always happy to respond that they are fine

3 Likes

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Oluromantic: 9:53pm On Nov 06, 2020
alexsoftwork:

ImaIma1:

My 3year old says it all the time. She could just ask "grandma how are you" and the people are always happy to respond that they are fine
Both of you have good points and I understand your views. Children 3yr old will find responses definitely...everybody loves them. But an adolescent asking an elder has to use a respective tone or a tender tone especially if the elderly is choleric whether male or female. At that elderly age, they assume an auhoritative state. The closeness or familiarity also matters. A landlord or boss who has allowed so much familiarity with his/her tenants or employee may see such as disrespectful but hearing that from your daughter as a father or from your son as a mother means care and concern.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Uyi168: 10:23pm On Nov 06, 2020
Firstly, as a sharp benin guy, when I see an elderly person, I'd greet :
Epa dormo, lavbieze. Or
Kor iye, lavbieze..

That one above provide a safe landing for me. I can then proceed and ask,'egbe vbo'..
Meaning, how body, or how are u..

1 Like

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by lilyheaven: 10:45pm On Nov 06, 2020
Uyi168:
Firstly, as a sharp benin guy, when I see an elderly person, I'd greet :
Epa dormo, lavbieze. Or
Kor iye, lavbieze..

That one above provide a safe landing for me. I can then proceed and ask,'egbe vbo'..
Meaning, how body, or how are u..
egbe vbo'..
I just sent this to my Benin friend.
He replied , oyese!
I didn’t know what x to type grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Uyi168: 12:22am On Nov 07, 2020
lilyheaven:

egbe vbo'..
I just sent this to my Benin friend.
He replied , oyese!
I didn’t know what x to type grin
Oyese actually means I'm fine..

1 Like

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Karleb(m): 3:27am On Nov 07, 2020
Most elders find it disrespectful. Even if they don't tell you their reply is normally cold to it.

Just do away with the greeting or add sir or ma to it.
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by tobechi74: 9:18am On Nov 07, 2020
Africans love to be worshipped. They value respect even elwhen they do not deserve it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by pozehnani(f): 9:24am On Nov 07, 2020
Don't mind them .It's a wrong african mentality.

I have little three year olds as friends who ask me " aunty how are you"? And I simply reply, "very well dear". No biggies.

1 Like

Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Shortyy(f): 9:31am On Nov 07, 2020
alexsoftwork:

Can u just imagine
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by lilyheaven: 9:52am On Nov 07, 2020
Uyi168:
Oyese actually means I'm fine..

Okay
Thank you
Good morning
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Uyi168: 11:24am On Nov 07, 2020
lilyheaven:

Okay
Thank you
Good morning
Morning chief.
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by brain54(m): 10:55pm On Nov 07, 2020
its just a simple question if you look at it...but I too don't like younger ones asking... I just don't know why...at times I have to calm myself and respond positively... its a normal question if you think about it.
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 08, 2020
There's nothing wrong with asking an elder this question. So long as it's asked warmly (the nature of the question itself is).
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Pavore9: 12:00pm On Nov 08, 2020
It was a rude shock for me in Nairobi at the beginning when kids only form of greeting me was "How are you?" I felt like giving them knocks on their heads, shey we be mates? cheesy cheesy I later got to realize that those ones are even the ones regarded as "respectful" as others no dey even greet! cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Does An Elder Person Find This Disrespectful by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2020
Abeg leave Nigerians carrying this elder thing on their head anyhow. You advice elder sibling they tell you you’re being disrespectful.

You even calmly point out to them that the speech they just made is called tautology they will shout down the high heavens.

My God, why do older Nigerians see the word tautology as an insult?

(1) (Reply)

Relocation Items For Sale / Still Very Clean Set Of Chair For Sale 2 Sitters And A Couch 130k / Please someone should help a sister, it's urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.