Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,600 members, 7,882,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 02:17 PM

No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari (6499 Views)

Babangida: "I Will Vote For An Igbo President In 2019 If I Find One" / Complete List Of Campaign Team That Will Make President Jonathan Win Buhari / Democracy In Action As Jonathan Win Buhari In A Free, Fair And Credible E-voting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 1:59am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

I would strongly object to the FG building an airport in my state (unless of course the FG says, "Take this airport or have nothing."wink I'd rather them give us the cash and let us invest it in something else that is more profitable. Say, improved roads across the state. Ultimately, I think every state should be able to decide which direction it wants to go. It makes no sense to force cookie-cutter solutions on everyone.
Fair enough. I'm starting to understand now why African countries don't progress quickly though. Just poor decision making, investments and planning. "An airport for each state" sounds more like a vanity project than a sound plan to move the country (and its states) forward. If I have 1000 naira but constantly invest in bad ideas, I'll eventually be poorer than a man who starts with only 100 naira but invests in good business ideas.

Thank you! Most African leaders are just there to satisfy other people's prejudices about their country men without thinking about the future or sustainability.

Typo: there
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:02am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

The road and railway network in Nigeria is far worse than the air infrastructure, Kobo. It is easier to justify the investment for the former than the latter.

If the FG sold off Lagos-Benin road to private investors who'd then get to charge a toll, it'd be snapped up pretty quickly.

But if the FG offers an airport concession to some company to build an airport in Yobe State. . . nobody would want to invest. Just because he knows that he won't make his money back.

Anyway, Nigeria isn't that big a country. . . the government doesn't need to subsidize airports in every state. Big waste of money.
We are discussing Nigeria here, not wonderland. The conditions and situation in that country have made it hard for us to woo investors.  
Investors have had their eyes on Nigeria for decades, but the conditions in the country make it hard for them to take the extra step needed to invest. The fact is we have 150 million people to cater for, and we need to solve this NOW, not sit back waiting for investors to save us when they finally get the guts to. It is up to our government to create an investment conducive environment and part of doing that is ensuring they can get in, do their business -- keep an eye on their investment and get out as they choose.

We know no investors are likely not going to be interested in building the transport system we need to these currently remote locations. So, I see nothing wrong with the federal government stepping in to provide where we do not have em so as to ensure easier flow of investment to all parts of this  country. There are millions of people living in Yobe State. These people are not mugus that cannot benefit from better opportunities, so I see no reason why the federal Government should not come in to  aid them in ensuring this happens for them too.

Air, Road, Rail are all forms of transportation --- necessary in this global age. More and more people want to get their goods and services where they need them in no time at all, so I do not see why we cannot start now investing in all, rather than waiting until the fairies decide it is profitable for them.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by ekubear1: 2:08am On Mar 16, 2011
^-- Imo, let the states decide which way they want to go. FG doesn't need to mandate it from above. Give each state the cash and let it manage its own affairs. That maximizes flexibility and progress.

Your own state can then take the money and build airports if they like. . . mine can then go in a different direction. Everyone wins.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 2:08am On Mar 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

We are discussing Nigeria here, not wonderland. The conditions and situation in that country have made it hard for us to woo investors.  
Investors have had their eyes on Nigeria for decades, but the conditions in the country is simply what makes it hard for them to take the extra step. The fact is we have 150 million people to cater for, and we need to solve this NOW, not sit back waiting for investors to save us when they finally get the guts to. It is up to our government to create an investment conducive environment and part of doing that is ensuring they can get in, do their business -- keep an eye on their investment and get out as they choose.

We know no investors are likely not going to be interested in building the transport system we need to these currently remote locations. So, I see nothing wrong with the federal government stepping in to provide where we do not have em so as to ensure easier flow of investment to all parts of this  country. There are millions of people living in Yobe State. These people are not mugus that cannot benefit from better opportunities, so I see no reason why the federal Government should not come in to  aid them in ensuring this happens for them too.

Air, Road, Rail are all forms of transportation --- necessary in this global age. More and more people want to get their goods and services where they need them in no time at all, so I do not see why we cannot start now investing in all, rather than waiting until the fairies decide it is profitable for them.

Haba Kobo. What investors need is simply electricity and security. The rail mode of transportation can take care of any transportation of goods and services across the country if need be. Moreover, it will be cheaper and  less bogus. The cost of maintainance alone is cheaper than that of airports.

All you need are terminals in each state that the rail ways can use. That is all. I think. undecided
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 2:09am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Imo, let the states decide which way they want to go. FG doesn't need to mandate it from above. Give each state the cash and let it manage its own affairs. That maximizes flexibility and progress.

With the level of corruption and incompetence in Nigeria, that will actually do more harm than good.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Mar 16, 2011
jason123:

Railways and roads are different to airports because most commuters will take that mode of transport everyday since its cheaper and less bogos than taking an airplane that is more expensive. Airports in every state will not make sense because population differs and thus, viability differs.
We are referring to a country with a population of about 150 million, slated to grow into the 200's in the next 4 years, and you are talking of population not being enough?  
jason123:

Also, the level of "exposure" differs in each state. Okay, how many Borno guys (No offense Harem  cheesy)will take a plane when they can use the roads. Most of our grandparents will prefer the roads or rail than the plane. The state and indeed Nigeria will be losing more money if its done in every state.
[size=4pt]I am in for a long Night grin[/size]
Actually, I made the same mistake when the Akwa Ibom,and the Owerri Airports were being built. Guess what? More people fly now through that airport than we initial thought would.
You make the mistake of thinking because you cannot see locals flying means airports will not be lucrative investments in these areas.
jason123:

What regions are you talking about? If you are taking about the west, it is the WHOLE country that uses that airport that is why it is that conjested. About 2 airports in each of the six geopolitical zones makes more sense. This will take economic pressures off the SW. It will take the cultural and religious tension off the NW. It will create more opportunities for the SS and SE especially the SE. The SS already has Port harcourt.  
Wait a second! You admit that the western airport is congested because the whole country currently uses it, without realizing we already have more than 2 airports in each region and that problems persists. What does that then tell you?

jason123:

Everyone will gradually learn to stay in their region of choice and build it at their own pace economically. This will in turn make us revert back to a pseudo-federalism before the actually federalism. By the time you create jobs in each region and reduce the economic pressures in the SW, I can tell you that we have begun solving our problems as a country.
MO

I am not going to get into some regional nonsense please.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by MeGaStReEt: 2:12am On Mar 16, 2011
Same old song, I think somebody need to do a remix and spice it up a little, I have been listening to this same for decades

bunch of e.ediots
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by ekubear1: 2:13am On Mar 16, 2011
jason123:

With the level of corruption and incompetence in Nigeria, that will actually do more harm than good.

I feel more confident about my ability to root out corruption and incompetence in my own state/LGA/town than in all of Nigeria. Latter task sounds hard, former task is less so.

Just give us the funds and no FG interference/obstruction, and good things will happen.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:17am On Mar 16, 2011
jason123:

Haba Kobo. What investors need is simply electricity and security. The rail mode of transportation can take care of any transportation of goods and services across the country if need be. Moreover, it will be cheaper and  less bogus. The cost of maintainance alone is cheaper than that of airports.
All you need are terminals in each state that the rail ways can use. That is all. I think. undecided

ROFLMAO!!! Your post makes me laugh  . . ,  lol

We are in a loop - we have been for a while now. You say investors need electricity and security. But guess what, to get electricity, we are waiting for investors; to provide the security, we need investors to come in. So unless our governments steps forward to provide many of the basics it can, we are probably going to remain in this loop for a while longer . . . probably 4 or more years if we do not get to work.  Opening up every single point in that country will go a long way in helping ease the security problems we have today.

Rail Mode DOES NOT take care of all transportation -- please, let us not even try to pretend it does.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 2:21am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

I feel more confident about my ability to root out corruption and incompetence in my own state/LGA/town than in all of Nigeria. Latter task sounds hard, former task is less so.

Just give us the funds and no FG interference/obstruction, and good things will happen.

The Ekiti man has spoken!  grin cheesy wink . But, I feel what you are saying.

Kobojunkie:

We are referring to a country with a population of about 150 million, slated to grow into the 200's in the next 4 years, and you are talking of population not being enough?  

You and I know the population census was a bloody lie except we want to deceive ourselves.How can 150 million people fit into Nigeria without a large amount of deforestation and ethnic wars (based on the limited resources)? Even the Fulanis confirmed registering their cows. We are probably 100 million.

Actually, I made the same mistake when the Akwa Ibom,and the Owerri Airports were being built. Guess what? More people fly now through that airport than we initial thought would.
[/quote]

That was in the east alone. I said 2 in each region will decongest it. I am sure there were some people from the SS and SW that used that airport. A good rail way system will reduce the pressures on airports.

You make the mistake of thinking because you cannot see locals flying means airports will not be lucrative investments in these areas. Wait a second! You admit that the western airport is congested because the whole country currently uses it, without realizing we already have more than 2 airports in each region and that problems persists. What does that then tell you?
[quote]
That is because the rail way system is not good enough. Why would I want to fly to Abeokuta or Warri when I can take a fast train with all the scenery on my way?
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 2:22am On Mar 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! Your post makes me laugh  . . ,  lol

We are in a loop - we have been for a while now. You say investors need electricity and security. But guess what, to get electricity, we are waiting for investors; to provide the security, we need investors to come in. So unless our governments steps forward to provide many of the basics it can, we are probably going to remain in this loop for a while longer . . . probably 4 or more years if we do not get to work.  Opening up every single point in that country will go a long way in helping ease the security problems we have today.

Rail Mode DOES NOT take care of all transportation -- please, let us not even try to pretend it does.

No, it does not but it reduces the pressure on the other forms of transportation.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by macjive01: 2:27am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

I would strongly object to the FG building an airport in my state (unless of course the FG says, "Take this airport or have nothing."wink I'd rather them give us the cash and let us invest it in something else that is more profitable. Say, improved roads across the state. Ultimately, I think every state should be able to decide which direction it wants to go. It makes no sense to force cookie-cutter solutions on everyone.
Fair enough. I'm starting to understand now why African countries don't progress quickly though. Just poor decision making, investments and planning. "An airport for each state" sounds more like a vanity project than a sound plan to move the country (and its states) forward. If I have 1000 naira but constantly invest in bad ideas, I'll eventually be poorer than a man who starts with only 100 naira but invests in good business ideas.

That's the meaning of infrastructural development. look, if u don't kick-start other regions and states every investment will cluster around lagos. why? becos lagos already has the infrastructure, be it airport, seaport.

The airports wudnt have to be built instantaneously and as elaborate and glossy as dubai's, rather thru say 5-10 years plan, of which the present commercially more viable state gets first,  a larger capacity facility, then  the other presently less attractive states wud follow suit with a simple landing strip with a control tower and a housing ( when they become more attractive, and attracts  large commuters then there cud be an expansion. ).

Currently every bank has a presence in every state, u might not know, it wasn't their choice, was a mandate from Soludo's cbn. That led to a massive expansion in the banking sector, employment were in doves,  and also providing the citizenry increased and improved banking services.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Nobody: 2:29am On Mar 16, 2011
One would think Nigerians would be smarter by now.
Or atleast tired of hearing the same rubbish from every presidential election year. . . . oh well!
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by mamagee3(f): 2:31am On Mar 16, 2011
jason123:

No, it does not but it reduces the pressure on the other forms of transportation.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:43am On Mar 16, 2011
jason123:

You and I know the population census was a bloody lie except we want to deceive ourselves.How can 150 million people fit into Nigeria without a large amount of deforestation and ethnic wars (based on the limited resources)? Even the Fulanis confirmed registering their cows. We are probably 100 million.
I don't buy the argument above. Even the 100 million figure does not erase the fact that opening more people up to better opportunity will be to the advantage of the whole.
jason123:

That was in the east alone. I said 2 in each region will decongest it. I am sure there were some people from the SS and SW that used that airport.
What? I only mention two of the 4 airports current in the SS and SE. Like I said, there are currently at least two airports in most every region in that country today.
jason123:

A good rail way system will reduce the pressures on airports. That is because the rail way system is not good enough. Why would I want to fly to Abeokuta or Warri when I can take a fast train with all the scenery on my way?

Situation 1:
I am in Kano and I know I can take the train but I would rather fly because it is quicker and more convenient for me. I love the scenery too but I don't think it worth the time I'd have to spend on the train( a couple of hours more). And thousands of people who live in kano also share my view. 
I can conveniently fly my goods to the next state and be back the same day for supper. I have a business (eg. Farm) out in Yobe but I like living in Kano. I fly out once every month to check the situation on my farm and I am able to get back in no time. I have about 50 employees on my farm -- many of them from the local areas in Yobe. The climate in Yobe is conducive; Labor, taxes and land in Yobe is way cheaper and affordable, that is why I have my business there.

Now for those who are not in a rush, and those who are more concerned about saving the extra bucks, the train and road transport is there.

Now think on this, and maybe you will see how beneficial this might be for out investors.

Two big reasons why Lagos State is as developed as it is today are
a) the State is open by the sea

b) The State is open to the world by air

The current rail system, and roads, have contributed little in the way of driving development. Lagos would not be as developed as it currently is today if the federal had not invested in Airport and seaport as it did. I don't believe anyone state should have to wait for another to get congested in order for it to get a piece of the development action. Every State needs to be given an equal opportunity to grow and opening up each state by road, air and rail will go a long way in helping ensure this happens quicker.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Pharoh: 2:53am On Mar 16, 2011
Hmm what a thread.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by aletheia(m): 3:00am On Mar 16, 2011
One issue overlooked in this discussion. . .after building the airports, is he also going to decree that airlines use them? Or Buhari thinks that airline business is like kabu kabu? Airlines will only fly economically viable routes. How are airports going to raise the standard of living and improve the disposable income and life expectancy of the average citizen in Damaturu? I had some sympathy for Buhari but ideas like this only convince me that he has no creative out-of the box solutions to the problems facing us and is just mouthing platitudes and indulging in grand gestures that ultimately are meaningless.

P.S. Interesting to find a thread discussing a candidate's manifesto without the usual insults and name calling.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Mar 16, 2011
aletheia:

One issue overlooked in this discussion. . .after building the airports, is he also going to decree that airlines use them? Or Buhari thinks that airline business is like kabu kabu? Airlines will only fly economically viable routes. How are airports going to raise the standard of living and improve the disposable income and life expectancy of the average citizen in Damaturu? I had some sympathy for Buhari but ideas like this only convince me that he has no creative out-of the box solutions to the problems facing us and is just mouthing platitudes and indulging in grand gestures that ultimately are meaningless.

P.S. Interesting to find a thread discussing a candidate's manifesto without the usual insults and name calling.

Can I ask that you be objective for one second? You build[b] an airport for 2 million people (lets just pretend that no outsiders/non residents will use the airport for now)[/b], and you think there is no way this airport can be utilized by even a good fraction of that 2 million?
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by aletheia(m): 3:12am On Mar 16, 2011
^Which airline is going to fly there? Buhari is putting the cart before the horse. First raise the standard of living of the people before talking about airports. Talking about airports in a rural state like say Yobe where majority of the people are not going to travel anywhere shows elitist thinking and a disconnect from the poverty that afflicts a lot of Nigerians and especially in the North. It is a meaningless grand gesture with little substance but then Nigerians have always been fond of grandiose gestures.

I ask again:

aletheia:

How are airports going to raise the standard of living and improve the disposable income and life expectancy of the average citizen in Damaturu?
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by ekubear1: 3:14am On Mar 16, 2011
Aletheia's excellent questions remain unanswered.

If I wanted to destroy the economy of Yobe State, I'd take their money and sink it into unviable businesses.

Conversely, if I wanted to make Yobe State rich, I'd find things that are viable and invest in those.

Guess which category an airport falls in.

Anyway, this is why I'm a federalist. Cookie cutter solutions don't work. If Lagos State has $10 million free, the best thing for them to spend that money on is probably not going to be the same thing that Ekiti State or Yobe State should spend it on. Let the states decide for themselves which direction they want to go.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 3:18am On Mar 16, 2011
aletheia:

^Which airline is going to fly there?

What sort of question is this? I don't think this should even be on the list of your worries at all so, lets stick to what really matters here.
aletheia:

Buhari is putting the cart before the horse. First raise the standard of living of the people before talking about airports.
How do you go about raising the standard of living in a place . . . any place? by sharing money out to the people?  Using Government money to build industries for them? How? Giving them all micro loans from tax payer pockets? How?
aletheia:

Talking about airports in a rural state like say Yobe where majority of the people are not going to travel anywhere shows elitist thinking and a disconnect from the poverty that afflicts a lot of Nigerians and especially in the North. It is a meaningless grand gesture with little substance but then Nigerians have always been fond of grandiose gestures.I ask again:
You did not answer the simple question I asked you earlier.
Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

Can I ask that you be objective for one second? You build[b] an airport for 2 million people (lets just pretend that no outsiders/non residents will use the airport for now)[/b], and you think there is no way this airport can be utilized by even a good fraction of that 2 million?
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by aletheia(m): 3:54am On Mar 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What sort of question is this?

A very simple and effective question that exposes the pretensions of building an airport in every state and the wild-eyed uncritical support of Buhari by some people. Do you think airline business is like kabu kabu. For example Jos is less than two hour's drive from Bauchi. Does it make sense to you to build an airport in Bauchi? Isn't it the unviable nature of the Bauchi airport that made goats and rams waylay Adeola's plane? How many flights fly into Bauchi airport every week not to talk of daily. Meanwhile Jos airport (Plateau state has a population in excess of 2 million over receives just two flights a day, sub par in terms of profitability) and here you are supporting the building of more such white elephants. . .which will only end up being subsidized by the Government and serving as an avenue for flushing more resources down the drain. Buhari's over centralizing approach to economic development is not going to work. Why decree an airport just because. . .even when the economic indices do not support it?

Kobojunkie:

Using Government money to build industries for them?
. . .but you don't have any problems with using Government money to build white elephant airports all over the place.

Kobojunkie:

I am objective. . .which is why I am not carried away by meaningless grand gestures. Plateau state has a population above 2 million and yet just one or two flights per day out of Jos airport. . .sometimes half-empty. Is that a good fraction of two million people? That the airport exists has no relation whatsoever to the standard of living of the average people of Plateau. . .it only makes travel more convenient for the elites. Lagos on the other hand as an economic hub deserves an airport. It makes no sense building airports in states that are largely rural with no viable industries that justify the use of the airport. First develop the people and raise their standard of living. . .airports will follow in due course.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 4:28am On Mar 16, 2011
aletheia:

A very simple and effective question that exposes the pretensions of building an airport in every state and the wild-eyed uncritical support of Buhari by some people.
Dude, up to this post, I have said NOTHING of Buhari the man but simply posited that I believe the idea to be a good one. So instead of trying to WIN an argument by pretending it is all our of blind support, I suggest you focus more of that attention on actually coming up with more rational points for your side of this.
aletheia:

Do you think airline business is like kabu kabu. For example Jos is less than two hour's drive from Bauchi. Does it make sense to you to build an airport in Bauchi?
Actually you are wrong in stating that all points in Bauchi, the state is two hours from Jos. Is driving from Ningi to Jos also two hours? Again, I ask we be objective here.
I live in a Chicago and between two INTERNATIONAL airports each 30 minutes away from me. The population of this city is about less than that of Bauchi state( which is about 4 - 5million) so, I ask again, if an airport is situated within this state( doesn't have to be even 1/10th the size of O'Hare), are you for sure that no good portion of the people and businesses currently in that state would gain tremendously from this?
aletheia:

Isn't it the unviable nature of the Bauchi airport that made goats and rams waylay Adeola's plane? How many flights fly into Bauchi airport every week not to talk of daily.
So, what has goats and rams to do with viability of an airport? Also, you will need to check the FAAN to know how many flights fly out of Bauchi weekly, but I did find some private companies that charter flights in and out of the airport.
aletheia:

Meanwhile Jos airport (Plateau state has a population in excess of 2 million over receives just two flights a day, sub par in terms of profitability) and here you are supporting the building of more such white elephants. . .which will only end up being subsidized by the Government and serving as an avenue for flushing more resources down the drain. Buhari's over centralizing approach to economic development is not going to work. Why decree an airport just because. . .even when the economic indices do not support it?
. . .but you don't have any problems with using Government money to build white elephant airports all over the place.
Like someone already mentioned earlier, airports do not all have to be massive developments. I lived in a town once that had an airport that only flew one flight out each day, and the population of the area was less than 100,000. The airport was subsidized by government but there is no questioning the fact that we all agreed that if that airport closed down, many of the investors in that town would leave with it. And this was proven when a couple of years before I left the town, there was debate on diverting that money to other issues in the town. The new mayor wanted to move funds to upgrading the rail system, but after weeks of debate the town concluded that it would cost more to lose the airport. We had lots of consultants who flew in each week to work there, and so cutting the airport would mean losing the opportunity.

Again, I don't see what you see . . . . I don't see a white elephant project so I cannot speak to what you see. What I see is an opening up of remote areas to quicker transport for investors to get in to do business, bring their money in,  and get out. Also, what economic indices are you referring to? Established or imagined?
aletheia:

I am objective. . .which is why I am not carried away by meaningless grand gestures. Plateau state has a population above 2 million and yet just one or two flights per day out of Jos airport. . .sometimes half-empty. Is that a good fraction of two million people?
Considering the current state of investment in Plateau state -- the state's current economic situation that is actually a good fraction to begin with and likely to increase as the government works to advertise and get the word out on the investment opportunities in the state.
aletheia:

That the airport exists has no relation whatsoever to the standard of living of the average people of Plateau. . .it only makes travel more convenient for the elites. Lagos on the other hand as an economic hub deserves an airport. It makes no sense building airports in states that are largely rural with no viable industries that justify the use of the airport. First develop the people and raise their standard of living. . .airports will follow in due course.
huh? I don't want to repeat myself here. I suggest you go back to my initial posts to read my rebuttals to much of what you have in your last post.
Lagos did not become an economic hub BEFORE MMIA was built; it grew into one as a result. Not the other way around!

Again as someone has already tried explaining, building an airport does not mean the government embarks on massive construction projects in these areas. What many of these areas states need are small local/state airports to start with, at least to get local fliers watering first while the states work on preparing and getting word out on their being open for business, to potential investors --both local, and international. If as time progresses the states desire to expand for one reason or another, they can do so.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jason123: 4:37am On Mar 16, 2011
aletheia:

Valid question. That was why I said, two airports in each region and the building of reliable modern railways.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by jensinmi(m): 6:17am On Mar 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@ Question.

If you build an airport for 2 million hungry people who don't plan on going anywhere,  then don't be surprised if the airport never gets the thousands of daily arrivals and daily departures needed to keep it viable. Population is not a single good enough factor to support airport construction. If it were, Darfur would be a good candidate for a spanking new airport. Hungry and starving people don't board planes.

@ Topic

By the way, it is just like that foolish idea to build an International Airport in Ado-Ekiti. Have you ever heard anyone in JFK, Heathrow or Houston International Airports saying, "I wish I could get a direct flight to Ado-Ekiti". I'm from Ado-Ekiti and spend several months there each year. I will not enter a direct flight from the United States to Ado-Ekiti International Airport. I'd just do my usual trip to Lagos, and find my way down there.

Even in the Western world, a commute from your home of 45 minutes to 1hr to the nearest airport is considered the shortest possible by most, unless of course you want to go buy a house next to the airport. (Have fun with that grin grin grin). A 45 minute to 1hr drive will get you from Ado-Ekiti to Akure Airport. So,  why bother building an Airport in Ado-Ekiti, other than to waste money. Anyone who wants to fly should do the 45-minute drive. The rest of us will spend the money on something beneficial to the general populace.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 6:23am On Mar 16, 2011
jensinmi:

@ Question.

If you build an airport for 2 million hungry people who don't plan on going anywhere,  then don't be surprised if the airport never gets the thousands of daily arrivals and daily departures needed to keep it viable. Population is not a single good enough factor to support airport construction. If it were, Darfur would be a good candidate for a spanking new airport. Hungry and starving people don't board planes.

Isn't it firstly silly to assume that the 2 million people(businesses and citizens) in any of the mentioned states are poor and hungry? Is that mindset born out of common sense thinking or just the usual prejudice?
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Jakumo(m): 6:25am On Mar 16, 2011
It makes about as much sense for perennial election LOSER Ayatollah Buhari to issue meaningless promises regarding what he will do when elected, as it would for me to make declarations about what I would accomplish as a shower-room attendant in a university girls dormitory.

Rather than hallucinate and babble about an imaginary and unattainable electoral victory,  the Baboon-Dawa of Kutuwenji Village should give some thought to how he will feed his brood of mini-ayatollahs WHEN he loses the upcoming election as well as that inevitable lawsuit protesting his resounding defeat at the polls.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by ekubear1: 6:32am On Mar 16, 2011
Kobojunkie, you are violating the principle contained in your signature.

Let those who want an unviable airport in their state have it. . . and find money themselves to pay for it. If the government wants to give them $X for an airport, it had better give me $X too, which I'll invest in infrastructure for my state.

This is how African countries never progress. Pissing away money on bad investments.

@jensinmi: Exactly. I'd much rather spend the money on an excellent high-speed toll road from Lagos to Ekiti. Cut the 3-4 hour drive down to say two hours. This is a far better investment. It is nearly as good as having an airport in the state, but also helps Ekiti farmers get their goods to market (or anyone who buys and sells goods from one location to the other.)

You get far more bang for your buck doing this than building a silly airport.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 6:41am On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

Kobojunkie, you are violating the principle contained in your signature.

Let those who want an unviable airport in their state have it. . . and find money themselves to pay for it. If the government wants to give them $X for an airport, it had better give me $X too, which I'll invest in infrastructure for my state.

This is how African countries never progress. Pissing away money on bad investments.
What the heck are you on about now? What has my expressing my side of this to do now with my forum signature? Are you implying that because you do not see what I see, I should stop trying to argue my side as I choose? undecided undecided undecided

Look! if you have nothing else to add. . . it is ok for you to move on! undecided undecided
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Nobody: 9:10am On Mar 16, 2011
Nigerians never want to hear the realistic truth, this was how obj told us there will be constant power supply by 2009 knowing fully well that Nigeria needs more than 50k mwatts to do so and we were barely generating 2k mw. I haven't sat down to read BB manifesto but from the few I've read, I'll continue to mobilize support for him. We need change.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by hercules07: 10:49am On Mar 16, 2011
An airport in each state has its merits, it might not be the most pressing need but it can be made viable, uyo is about 1 hour from Calabar and the airport is functioning properly despite the fact that there is little or no activity in that state, if we had a good governor in Oyo state, the airport in the state will be very viable. The ekiti man will prefer to fly his cocoa out of an Ekiti Airport, infact, if logistics is well done, courier companies can pick up exports from say Ekiti, deliver it to lagos and from there the item is sent overseas. People consume Ghana pineapple harvested the same day in Europe, people can consume same day water melon in Lagos with the functioning airport in Gombe state. We need Government to put in infrastructure, business men will use the infrastructure to generate money.
Re: No Uninterrupted Power Supply Till 2019 If I Win - Buhari by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 16, 2011
hercules07:

An airport in each state has its merits, it might not be the most pressing need but it can be made viable, uyo is about 1 hour from Calabar and the airport is functioning properly despite the fact that there is little or no activity in that state, if we had a good governor in Oyo state, the airport in the state will be very viable. The ekiti man will prefer to fly his cocoa out of an Ekiti Airport, infact, if logistics is well done, courier companies can pick up exports from say Ekiti, deliver it to lagos and from there the item is sent overseas. People consume Ghana pineapple harvested the same day in Europe, people can consume same day water melon in Lagos with the functioning airport in Gombe state. We need Government to put in infrastructure, business men will use the infrastructure to generate money.
Amazing, shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet The Greek Man Who Missed The Ethiopian Airlines Flight That Crashed / Funke Olakunrin: PDP Condemns Killing, Tasks Buhari, FG To Curb Insecurities. / Army Deployment In Lagos Was Requested By Lagos State Govt - Army Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.