Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,995 members, 7,931,426 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 04:18 AM

I Hate Nigeria With A Passion - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Hate Nigeria With A Passion (45011 Views)

Poll: do you hate nigeria?

Yes: 24% (65 votes)
Never: 55% (150 votes)
undecided: 13% (35 votes)
until im unlawfully arrested, Yes: 6% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

I Hate Poverty, Seeing Me In A Private Jet Shouldn’t Be A Big Deal – Okorocha / Why Do I Hate Nigeria So Much? / Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by denzel2009: 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2011
Nigerian Police are hopeless, they were arresting people sometimes ago for wearing Aba made designer POLICE T-shirts.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Mar 17, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

From your link
Other countries have a system in place to take care of people who infringe on the rights of the citizens, Nigeria does not have that. What happens the day the bribe money is not enough? They bash the person's head in and everyone around him will tell him to thank his lucky stars he still alive and to move on with his life.  undecided

Once again, someone else points out the obvious. I mean was watching the news last night and saw a story on, I believe Al arabia, a caller sent in a video that was later aired showing Iraqi policemen manhandling some Iraqis. The caller said he was doing so so all Iraqi's could step up and speak out against such nonsense. We all know that Iraqi's, who are only now waking up to the new reality of their lives(democracy) are out protesting and demanding their rights be respected, what are Nigerians doing?

PS. Anyone who will come in to speak of the war in Iraq and america this or that should infact just shove it cause it has nothing to do with this
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 17, 2011
You were arrested, so? Are you the only Nigerian that has been illegally arrested by the police? What about those bus drivers who were killed because they wouldn't pay the egunje of 20 naira? angry angry What about those innocent Nigerians still awaiting trials in various prisons across the country? Do you think hating Nigeria would solve the problem? I dont think it will, what you need to do is go home and thank you stars you are alive and you were not killed by those fiends of yours.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 11:33pm On Mar 17, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

From your link
Other countries have a system in place to take care of people who infringe on the rights of the citizens, Nigeria does not have that. What happens the day the bribe money is not enough? They bash the person's head in and everyone around him will tell him to thank his lucky stars he still alive and to move on with his life.  undecided
system in place to combat police brutality is besides the point. the point remains that nigerian police are not as brutal and barbaric as the american police.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by igbsam(m): 11:33pm On Mar 17, 2011
Ikeja is something else. yesterday I visited computer village to get some softwares. Imagine 3 patrol police vans raiding people with laptops and desktop computers. An elderly man was also pushed into the Van. No questioning, nothing. Once they sight u carrying a laptop bag, then u are meant for them. Also they harass young guys on bikes. Along that ikeja round about. Once they sight u on a bike, you would be stopped and if you have no cash to give them. My dear, na cell get u dat day. We need to rise up in one voice and put an end to this police menace in nigeria especially in lagos. Even sef, dem dey stop young guys wey dey drive car. Begin ask unnecessary questions about how u got the car. This and dat.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by dtwsola(m): 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
Newscaster and buzugee, you guys are just being being disingenuous. How can you compare Western police corruption to Naija. No one is claiming there is no corruption in the police force in the West. The fact remains that cases of police corruption in the West are mostly isolated, and there is an accountability system in place and other checks and balances. The reason why you can post stories and pictures about them is because any such event will make it into 6 o'clock news, and will certainly make the front page of the local newspaper.  Is that the case in Naija? Just think of how many checkpoints the Nigerian police force have set up to collect bribes, and all the falsely accused citizens that are being held in prisons unjustly.

Of all my years of living in the U.S., I have never been stopped by a police officer with no other intent but to extort money from me. I spend three weeks on a recent visit in Nigeria, and am stopped multiple times. In Ikeja CV, with an old friend, we were stopped and asked to produce a receipt of a laptop that my friend took for repair and were held for over 3 hrs until we paid bribe. Countless times we were pulled over while driving and the same story. I've even heard story of people asked to produce receipt of foodstuffs they purchased in the market. Truly a shame. We can't just roll over and be complacent about this nonsense. We need a serious revolution in Nigeria.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Once again, someone else points out the obvious. I mean was watching the news last night and saw a story on, I believe Al arabia, a caller sent in a video that was later aired showing Iraqi policemen manhandling some Iraqis. The caller said he was doing so so all Iraqi's could step up and speak out against such nonsense. We all know that Iraqi's, who are only now waking up to the new reality of their lives(democracy) are out protesting and demanding their rights be respected, what are Nigerians doing?

PS. Anyone who will come in to speak of the war in Iraq and america this or that should infact just shove it cause it has nothing to do with this

Sleeping and partying is not as easy as it sounds.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

thats very rich coming from you, talking about people protesting for their rights. arent you the same person who will rather live in the columbus ohio ghetto than go and live in nigeria to protest against 'oppression' ? arent you the same person who says she will never ever step into nigeria to live again and that you will rather live in a homeless shelter in america than return to nigeria ??/??/ armchair rebel
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Newscaster: 11:38pm On Mar 17, 2011
dtw_sola:

Newscaster and buzugee, you guys are just being being disingenuous. How can you compare Western police corruption to Naija. No one is claiming there is no corruption in the police force in the West. The fact remains that cases of police corruption in the West are mostly isolated, and there is an accountability system in place and other checks and balances. The reason why you can post stories and pictures about them is because any such event will make it into 6 o'clock news, and will certainly make the front page of the local newspaper.  Is that the case in Naija? Just think of how many checkpoints the Nigerian police force have set up to collect bribes, and all the falsely accused citizens that are being held in prisons unjustly.  Of all my years of living in the U.S., I have never been stopped by a police officer with no other intent but to extort money from me. I spend three weeks on a recent visit in Nigeria, and am stopped multiple times. In Ikeja CV, with an old friend, we were stopped and asked to produce a receipt that my friend took for repair and were held for over 3 hrs until we paid bribe. Countless times we were pulled over while driving and the same story. I've even heard story of people asked to produce receipt of foodstuffs they purchased in the market. Truly a shame. We can't just roll over and be complacent about this nonsense. We need a serious revolution in Nigeria.

Revolution ko. Revelation ni. Come home, set yourself on fire and see if the revolution wont start. others will follow you. But to stay in America and preach revolution is simply hypocritical and amounts to arrant nonsense. Anyone who stays in America and preaches revolution in Nigeria is simply a toad who should be thrown right back to the muddy waters of Kuwait.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 17, 2011
@post

eyah pele o.

The next best thing is to find a newspaper to publish your story. Get more ppl's opinion on it, I'm sure you werent the first and prolly wont be the last. The more ppl whole had your experience, the faster ppl will get infuriated, the quicker Nigeria's eyelids will begin to open.

I esp want something done about those hungry police at check points.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 11:40pm On Mar 17, 2011
igbsam:

Ikeja is something else. yesterday I visited computer village to get some softwares. Imagine 3 patrol police vans raiding people with laptops and desktop computers. An elderly man was also pushed into the Van. No questioning, nothing. Once they sight u carrying a laptop bag, then u are meant for them. Also they harass young guys on bikes. Along that ikeja round about. Once they sight u on a bike, you would be stopped and if you have no cash to give them. My dear, na cell get u dat day. We need to rise up in one voice and put an end to this police menace in nigeria especially in lagos. Even sef, dem dey stop young guys wey dey drive car. Begin ask unnecessary questions about how u got the car. This and dat.
why una no form vigilante groups. get money together and buy guns, and start sniping them from a distance ? you will never get caught. they dont do forensic science in naija. just start sniping them. none of them will return to that area again when they hear police are getting killed like suya. thats what i would do.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by SisiKill1: 11:40pm On Mar 17, 2011
buzugee:

system in place to combat police brutality is besides the point. the point remains that nigerian police are not as brutal and barbaric as the american police.

I refer you to this. . .

dtw_sola:

Newscaster and buzugee, you guys are just being being disingenuous. How can you compare Western police corruption to Naija. No one is claiming there is no corruption in the police force in the West. The fact remains that cases of police corruption in the West are mostly isolated, and there is an accountability system in place and other checks and balances. The reason why you can post stories and pictures about them is because any such event will make it into 6 o'clock news, and will certainly make the front page of the local newspaper.  Is that the case in Naija? Just think of how many checkpoints the Nigerian police force have set up to collect bribes, and all the falsely accused citizens that are being held in prisons unjustly.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by cold(m): 11:43pm On Mar 17, 2011
Bwahahaha @op,man i feel your pain.I'v been there before on a numba of occasions on very frivolous grounds but this one stands out.

my crime?

Police-'why do you have 419 as your number plate'

me-'oga it's the number issued to me,i have no hand in it'

Police-'you're a bloody liar,sgt jump in this car & drive straight to the station'
Mehn i no fit shout,i just burst out laughing.
Police-'you're laughing abi,you wont be laughing when you get to the station'

Only when my lawyer showed up,they realised omoh this guy is no pushover o.They had to let me go eventually,the whole scenario was funny in a serious sort of way.

Omoh Naija is screwed up   angry
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 17, 2011
cold:

Bwahahaha @op,man i feel your pain.I'v been there before on a numba of occasions on very frivolous grounds but this one stands out.

my crime?

Police-'why do you have 419 as your number plate'

Police-'you're a bloody liar,sgt jump in this car & drive straight to the station'

Only when my lawyer showed up,they realised omoh this guy is no pushover o.They had to let me go eventually,the whole scenario was funny in a serious sort of way.

Me sef, I go fit arrest you. 419 ahahha rotflmao! grin

It would have even been worse if you had your laptop on the passenger seat grin
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Jboogie912: 11:47pm On Mar 17, 2011
it happened to me today 2ice, this isnt fair at all, and i was extorted, cry
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Mar 17, 2011
cold:

my crime?

[size=13pt]Police-'why do you have 419 as your number plate'
[/size]

ROFLMAO!!!!

Good to see you called for a lawyer ooo!!!

Can you hook the @Op and others up with your lawyer friend?? Maybe if more folks had his number, and paid him that money they would have instead handed over to the police intimidating them, the police will get the message that things done dey change big time, and your lawyer friend would have MORE CLIENTS and hence, MORE PAY. grin
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Newscaster: 11:49pm On Mar 17, 2011
what is the point telling us all what we know and what we see daily?

What will all these talk come to? OP. whats our business if they cut your head into their pot of soup?

You know where to complain to, not here on Nairaland - all these will be forgotten when someone starts another topic that says "Patience Dame Jonathan" wears boxer shorts to Church" .Do you think these talks has any effect? Shut the f up.

Y'all open una 32 and speak ras against the police. Go to their barracks for once and see where they live, take time to go and see where this people live and ask yourself, if you as a human being can live where they live, and these are the people you want to protect your lives and property. Policemen die on duty daily in Nigeria - killed and fell on the line of duty, how much do they get when they die on duty? 50k only. These people need your prayers and fight for them to be treated better by society not for a gathering of tired brains on the web to constitute themselves into judge and jury and speak rubbish against them.

Necxt time you research the problem of the Nigerian policeman, even when he asks you for 20Naira, you will gladly offer him 40Naira instead. The problem is deep rooted, they have a grouse with the same society they are supposed to look after, why, because the same society has failed to provide them with what they need to make them work better. Take time from your busy schedule tmrow, go around Lagos police barracks and see if you wont ask yourself if these are the people that we expect to protect our lives and property. Noone is justifying the ills of the Naija police, but, look, what you give is what you get.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by amor4ce(m): 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2011
I experienced same sometime last month - was carrying mine in a bag and was taken to the police station. I prayed to GOD and I'll say HE answered me as I did not beg the police men, neither did I pay any sum.

If the original poster hates this country, is he not being an ingrate? So many of us want to consume without having a hand in making things better. Yes, it could be better; and yes, some have died as well. But also consider that others have gone through worse. Also, have you never noticed that the works of those who condemned are forgotten with time, but those who take decisive steps at change have their works recalled for generations and their names  are remembered with pride.

If you like, keep condemning and complaining as if these can not testify against you when it is time for judgement. Otherwise you can see this as a window of opportunity to contribute to positive reforms on your country.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
dtw_sola:

Of all my years of living in the U.S., I have never been stopped by a police officer with no other intent but to extort money from me. I spend three weeks on a recent visit in Nigeria, and am stopped multiple times. In Ikeja CV, with an old friend, we were stopped and asked to produce a receipt of a laptop that my friend took for repair and were held for over 3 hrs until we paid bribe. Countless times we were pulled over while driving and the same story. I've even heard story of people asked to produce receipt of foodstuffs they purchased in the market. Truly a shame. We can't just roll over and be complacent about this nonsense. We need a serious revolution in Nigeria.
bros you are being very myopic. let me ask you a question as you say you live in america, how much do you pay in sales tax, fuel tax, insurance, city sticker, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax etc etc and all the other taxes you pay ? this is why the police can focus on doing their jobs in the west. naija popo gotta eat. just consider the extortion, tax payment. aiiitttttttttttt. pay your tax to the popo and stop bellyaching. thats negligible tax compared to what you would pay in the west. maybe if you embraced police extortion as a form of tax which you have to pay to live in nigeria, then you wouldnt view it so negatively. feel me ? popos in the west dont have to extort you because the govt extorts you for them. in nigerias case, the popos cut out the middleman (the govt) and are doing it themselves. embrace it brother. dont fight it. next time a popo stops you, smile, open up your wallet and give him tax.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Newscaster: 11:58pm On Mar 17, 2011
You know where to complain to, not here on Nairaland - all these will be forgotten when someone starts another topic that says "Patience Dame Jonathan" wears boxer shorts to Church" .Do you think these talks has any effect? Shut the f up.

Y'all open una 32 and speak ras against the police. Go to their barracks for once and see where they live, take time to go and see where this people live and ask yourself, if you as a human being can live where they live, and these are the people you want to protect your lives and property. Policemen die on duty daily in Nigeria - killed and fell on the line of duty, how much do they get when they die on duty? 50k only. These people need your prayers and fight for them to be treated better by society not for a gathering of tired brains on the web to constitute themselves into judge and jury and speak rubbish against them.

Necxt time you research the problem of the Nigerian policeman, even when he asks you for 20Naira, you will gladly offer him 40Naira instead. The problem is deep rooted, they have a grouse with the same society they are supposed to look after, why, because the same society has failed to provide them with what they need to make them work better. Take time from your busy schedule tmrow, go around Lagos police barracks and see if you wont ask yourself if these are the people that we expect to protect our lives and property. Noone is justifying the ills of the Naija police, but, look, what you give is what you get.

How many of you take bribes in your office places? How many of you wont do your work but gets paid and spend the entire hour on the internet, on facebook and on NairaLand? How many of you use your compnay resources to your own without paying for it? How many of you pay NEPA and Water bills where you live? How many of you obey traffic rules in Nigeria? How many of you break rules? Comeon - dont come here and preach rubbish to us as if you are one saint. It is the same Nigerian problem, dont isolate the police - remove the log in your eyes first b4 u try to remove from others.

Y'all steal from the entity by not paying your taxes, you loot and steal and dry the country and you think it is only the politicians that are guilty? Rubbish. Abeg - dont come here and preach one revolution while u are the baaba nla cause of the Nigerian problem.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Busybody2(f): 11:59pm On Mar 17, 2011
buzugee:

thats very rich coming from you, talking about people protesting for their rights. arent you the same person who will rather live in the columbus ohio ghetto than go and live in nigeria to protest against 'oppression' ? arent you the same person who says she will never ever step into nigeria to live again and that you will rather live in a homeless shelter in america than return to nigeria ??/??/ armchair rebel

Ouch cheesy grin cheesy
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 12:03am On Mar 18, 2011
Busy_body:

Ouch cheesy grin cheesy
grin grin that girl is crazy. kobojunkie that is grin
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by Newscaster: 12:05am On Mar 18, 2011
buzugee:

Dont mind her.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by wemy: 12:16am On Mar 18, 2011
wy do u hate nigeria with apation as u say?
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by kabukabu50(m): 1:05am On Mar 18, 2011
buzugee:

bros you are being very myopic. let me ask you a question as you say you live in america, how much do you pay in sales tax, fuel tax, insurance, city sticker, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax etc etc and all the other taxes you pay ? this is why the police can focus on doing their jobs in the west. naija popo gotta eat. just consider the extortion, tax payment. aiiitttttttttttt. pay your tax to the popo and stop bellyaching. thats negligible tax compared to what you would pay in the west. maybe if you embraced police extortion as a form of tax which you have to pay to live in nigeria, then you wouldnt view it so negatively. feel me ? popos in the west dont have to extort you because the govt extorts you for them. in nigerias case, the popos cut out the middleman (the govt) and are doing it themselves. embrace it brother. dont fight it. next time a popo stops you, smile, open up your wallet and give him tax.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ comment really higlights the state of apathy and depair that has permeated Nigerian thinking.

So tell me how to factor in this daily "gift giving" into my expense report if I was investing in Nigeria?
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by buzugee(m): 1:19am On Mar 18, 2011
kabukabu50:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ comment really higlights the state of apathy and depair that has permeated Nigerian thinking.

So tell me how to factor in this daily "gift giving" into my expense report if I was investing in Nigeria?
apathy ? far from it. reality ? yes. put aside a quarter of your income (tax) and use it to settle police and have them work for you. before you know it you will have all the police in your area in your pocket. when they see you coming they would salute you and even ask you to stop paying them. they will wave you through everytime they see you.  wink thats how you do it. its like the old mafia shakedown.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by NumeroUno3(m): 1:28am On Mar 18, 2011
same happened 2 me 4days ago when i wz bout enterin an eatery, me laptop waz detained for 2 dayz
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by ShangoThor(m): 1:31am On Mar 18, 2011
This thread reminds me of a tune from back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlHgkKDUVo
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by kabukabu50(m): 1:46am On Mar 18, 2011
buzugee:

apathy ? far from it. reality ? yes. put aside a quarter of your income (tax) and use it to settle police and have them work for you. before you know it you will have all the police in your area in your pocket. when they see you coming they would salute you and even ask you to stop paying them. they will wave you through everytime they see you. wink thats how you do it. its like the old mafia shakedown.

Is that the Nigeria you want your children to grow up in?

Or you prefer an organized soceity with actual repect for rule of law?

Will you give your teenage children,some "donation" anytime they leave the house to give police because they dont have receipts for their laptops?
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by gmcln(m): 3:15am On Mar 18, 2011
If visiting Nigeria, You have to be aware of poor command and control system in the
Nigeria Police. They will kill you in heartbeat.
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by LoveKing(m): 3:20am On Mar 18, 2011
I need a favour
Re: I Hate Nigeria With A Passion by LoveKing(m): 3:24am On Mar 18, 2011
How can i get a link to a media house for an interview with syndication? Its time to speak out!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

DSS Found 12 Cars In Dasuki's House (Exclusive Photo) / Supreme Court Dismisses PDP’s Suit Challenging ‘Double Nomination’ Of Shettima / Tribunal Sacks Vincent Bulus In Plateau, Bans Him From Politics For Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.