Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,310 members, 7,974,378 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 10:34 PM

How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? (652 Views)

Why Do We Pray, Since God Already Knows Everything? / Why Do We Pray With Candle? / Why Do We Pray Only In Jesus Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2020
This topic is to encourage others to fellowship and have personal relationship with God and develop the mind of being prayerful in all we do as Christians.

As a believer and a follwer of Christ, follwing the new testament teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.
When I pray, I first thank God and declare His Lordship over everything in this world and everything that has to do with me, thanking him always.

1.Is it right to ask for forgiveness of sin before even praising God and continue with any other prayer request
or
2. Praise and thank God and ask for forginess of sins and continue with any other prayer request
or
3. Praise and thank God, Ask for what I need and wants then ask for forgiveness of sins. for the bible says
" Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." JAMES 4:3 KJV

People of God, please what is the right way or approach to praying a simple prayer?
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by culf: 3:37pm On Nov 19, 2020
ask for forgiveness first before making any request
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 3:46pm On Nov 19, 2020
Can you please dig into the bible and direct me to where I can read this scripturally?
Please, your contribution will go a long way in many lives reading all over the world.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Righteousness89(m): 3:48pm On Nov 19, 2020
Pray according to the Scriptures !

We Thank God Almighty and Appreciate Him

We go before the throne of Mercy and Plea for Mercy and Forgiveness...
We ask the Lord to Search us, tear us apart and Make us like Him..

We take authority in the Name of JESUS over the Forces of darkness, Principalities in high places , Territorial forces etc We Bind them , Destroy the Powers backing them up and their Kingdoms..

We table our needs before Almighty Daddy! And ask HIM to Intervene and take over..

We Believe that our prayers are answered
We Give HIM Thanks for answers!

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Janosky: 3:58pm On Nov 19, 2020
peacenow:
Can you please dig into the bible and direct me to where I can read this scripturally?
Please, your contribution will go a long way in many lives reading all over the world.

Matthew 6:9-15.. Hebrews 4:16.
For starters..

The holy Scriptures addresses other areas of individual concerns,use the Scriptures relevant to your prayer points
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

We take authority in the Name of JESUS over the Forces of darkness, Principalities in high places , Territorial forces etc We Bind them , Destroy the Powers backing them up and their Kingdoms..

We table our needs before Almighty Daddy! And ask HIM to Intervene and take over..

Sir/Ma,
Look at the Lord's Prayer as thought by our Lord Jesus.
We need to seperate doctrine from scriptures. Lord Jesus tought us a different way.
I am keenly looking forward to your anwer because I used to pray the way you suggested but now I don't because I found another way in the scriptures. Even as I was praying wrongly, He still hears my prayers but I want to continue in the right path Jesus tought us.

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by jesusjnr2020(m): 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2020
Nobody can teach you how to pray better than the prayer Master Himself called Jesus.

His perfect prayers are there for you to learn from and get answers to whatever questions you may have about prayers.

The perfect life He lived, the power He had to overcome temptations, heal the sick, raise the dead, cast out devils, cleanse the lepers, exercise authority over the winds and the seas, to feed five thousand men with five loaves of bread etc. were a testament to His prayer life.

If you want to do likewise, the best way to achieve that is to learn from the prayer Master Himself.

God bless.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Righteousness89(m): 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2020
peacenow:

Sir/Ma,
Look at the Lord's Prayer as thought by our Lord Jesus.
We need to seperate doctrine from criptures. Lord Jesus tought us a different way.
I am keenly looking forward to your anwer because I used to pray the way you suggested but now I don't because I found another way in the scriptures. Even as I was praying wrongly, He still hears my prayers but I want to continue in the right path Jesus tought us.
Good for you my sister!!
I don't know Understand what you call doctrine tho!

The Prayer of a Sinner is an abomination to GOD..
And we know GOD Heareth not Sinners.

My Admonishment to all is you don't need to much talking! Make your way Right with GOD! Pray prayers! You see Answers!
God
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 4:45pm On Nov 19, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Nobody can teach you how to pray better than the prayer Master Himself called Jesus.

His perfect prayers are there for you to learn from and get answers to whatever questions you may have about prayers.

The perfect life He lived, the power He had to overcome temptations, heal the sick, raise the dead, cast out devils, cleanse the lepers, exercise authority over the winds and the seas, to feed five thousand men with five loaves of bread etc. were a testament to His prayer life.

If you want to do likewise, the best way to achieve that is to learn from the prayer Master Himself.

God bless.

Thank you Sir/Ma,
I read the scriptures and found out that people were with Jesus and asked him to teach them how to pray for the purpose of getting result of prayers. They must have prayed stayed with him, moved with him and eat with him and even saw him got result of prayers in their presence. While they asked Jesus how to pray, they were with him. (These afore mentioned points were my assuptions)
Jesus did not teach us to ask for forginess of sins as first aspect of our prayer but many Christians today think about purification by asking for forgiveness of sins thinking this prayer request will make them pure in the presence of God.
In the Lord's prayer, after thanking and praising God, GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD comes before AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESSPASSES.
Christ is our rightheousness. God sees us through Jesus Christ. He said " No one comes to the Father except through me" Jesus referred to Himself.
For anyone evangelising out there. Please, you can make the prayer simple after a convert accepts Jesus as his/her personal Lord and saviour

1 Like

Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 4:49pm On Nov 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Good for you my sister!!
I don't know Understand what you call doctrine tho!

The Prayer of a Sinner is an abomination to GOD..
And we know GOD Heareth not Sinners.

My Admonishment to all is you don't need to much talking! Make your way Right with GOD! Pray prayers! You see Answers!
God

Thank you Sir/Ma,
I read the scriptures and found out that people were with Jesus and asked him to teach them how to pray for the purpose of getting result of prayers. They must have prayed stayed with him, moved with him and eat with him and even saw him got result of prayers in their presence. While they asked Jesus how to pray, they were with him. (These afore mentioned points were my assuptions)
Jesus did not teach us to ask for forginess of sins as first aspect of our prayer but many Christians today think about purification by asking for forgiveness of sins thinking this prayer request will make them pure in the presence of God.
In the Lord's prayer, after thanking and praising God, GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD comes before AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESSPASSES.
Christ is our rightheousness. God sees us through Jesus Christ.
For anyone evangelising out there. Please, you can make the prayer simple after a convert accepts Jesus as his/her personal Lord and saviour
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2020
culf:

Thank you Sir/Ma,
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 5:10pm On Nov 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Thank you Sir/Ma,
Christ is our rightheousness. God sees us through Jesus Christ. He said " No one comes to the Father except through me" Jesus referred to Himself.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 5:16pm On Nov 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Thank you Sir/Ma,
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 5:22pm On Nov 19, 2020
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Thank you Sir/Ma,
Warfare prayer is for meat eater level of Christians and not for Milk drinkers that will surely graduate later to meat eater level. I understand you.
Evangelism prayer must be simple.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:05pm On Nov 19, 2020
peacenow:

Thank you Sir/Ma,
It appears you already have preconceptions about prayer, so why ask?

I have said what to me was the right example to follow when it comes to prayer, so If you really wanted to get my thoughts concerning that, please deduct the answer to whatever question you have from that.

That said, I believe that the most important factor in prayer is the heart of a man. "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Hence I believe that we should be more concerned about the contents of our hearts than the arrangement or patterns of prayer.

I believe that once we got that right, we would be fine, because the state of our hearts matters more to God than the words we speak with our mouths.

I also believe that prayer should be instinctive at the beginning and not stereotyped. The prayer the Lord gave to us, was not with the intention for it to be repeated, but to serve as a guide.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by culf: 11:09pm On Nov 19, 2020
peacenow:

Thank you Sir/Ma,

The prayer of a sinner is an abomination unto the lord, you can praise first but forgiveness should closely follow. truth is, his rain falls on all...
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 12:16am On Nov 20, 2020
peacenow:
This topic is to encourage others to fellowship and have personal relationship with God and develop the mind of being prayerful in all we do as Christians.

As a believer and a follwer of Christ, follwing the new testament teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.
When I pray, I first thank God and declare His Lordship over everything in this world and everything that has to do with me, thanking him always.

1.Is it right to ask for forgiveness of sin before even praising God and continue with any other prayer request
or
2. Praise and thank God and ask for forginess of sins and continue with any other prayer request
or
3. Praise and thank God, Ask for what I need and wants then ask for forgiveness of sins. for the bible says
" Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." JAMES 4:3 KJV

People of God, please what is the right way or approach to praying a simple prayer?
The one prayer Jesus taught us all is the Lord's Prayer. You can never go wrong praying the way God Himself told you to pray.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by peacenow: 3:39am On Nov 20, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
It appears you already have preconceptions about prayer, so why ask?

I have said what to me was the right example to follow when it comes to prayer, so If you really wanted to get my thoughts concerning that, please deduct the answer to whatever question you have from that.

That said, I believe that the most important factor in prayer is the heart of a man. "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Hence I believe that we should be more concerned about the contents of our hearts than the arrangement or patterns of prayer.

I believe that once we got that right, we would be fine, because the state of our hearts matters more to God than the words we speak with our mouths.

I also believe that prayer should be instinctive at the beginning and not stereotyped. The prayer the Lord gave to us, was not with the intention for it to be repeated, but to serve as a guide.

Thanks and God bless.

I am so sorry if I have offeded you in anyway. Please, I just opened this up for evangelism purposes and for enlightenment of others based on my personal bible study and findings in the word of God. Please don't get me wrong please. I am so sorry for any offense from my side.
Below is all I wrote to open this topic:
================================================================================================

or
or

Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by jesusjnr2020(m): 3:57am On Nov 20, 2020
peacenow:

I am so sorry if I have offeded you in anyway. Please, I just opened this up for evangelism purposes and for enlightenment of others based on my personal bible study and findings in the word of God. Please don't get me wrong please. I am so sorry for any offense from my side.
Below is all I wrote to open this topic:
================================================================================================

or
or

No offense. I'm sorry if I made it appear so.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On May 08, 2023
peacenow:
This topic is to encourage others to fellowship and have personal relationship with God and develop the mind of being prayerful in all we do as Christians. As a believer and a follwer of Christ, follwing the new testament teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ. When I pray, I first thank God and declare His Lordship over everything in this world and everything that has to do with me, thanking him always.

1.Is it right to ask for forgiveness of sin before even praising God and continue with any other prayer request or
2. Praise and thank God and ask for forginess of sins and continue with any other prayer request or
Scripture states that God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the pleas and requests and every petition of the unrighteous are tainted by their sins(disobedience/unholiness) and are hence an abomination to God. So, what is definite is that even your many pleas for the forgiveness of sins are not answered by God given that God made no special exemptions for that kind of pleas. No amount of praying can cause God to change His mind regarding that which concerns the unrighteous by the way. So if you are thinking of prescribing more prayers that only means you really don't understand or know God at all. undecided

God, however, openly bragged about how He only answers the prayers of the righteous; He delights in granting them the desires of their heart meaning that they are those who are loved by Him. For this very reason, Jesus Christ urged His followers to seek first the Kingdom of God and God's Righteousness in order that all things— the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(holiness), answers to prayers included—shall be added on to them. And as Jesus Christ explained in His Gospel, the only way to become Holy, and then also Righteous, is by way of continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, god's Truth and Law in the Kingdom of god - John 8 vs 31 - 36 & John 14 vs 15 - 23. Jesus Christ is the only way. Obedience to the Truth of God is the one and only path to righteousness. No amount of praying and other religious rituals can accomplish that. undecided

You need to understand the meaning of the word "amiss" in order to realize what James was instead trying to tell you in that verse that you pulled from his epistle. If you consult Webster's dictionary, you will find that the word means to be in an imperfect state, a state that is not in the right order aka unrighteous.
Amiss

1. : not being in accordance with the right order. : faulty, imperfect.
What James was saying in that verse is that the reason you do not receive from God is that you are asking in an unrighteous state—a state that is not in accordance with God's mandate of righteousness. So, clearly, you cannot benefit anything from remaining in an unrighteous state as far as God is concerned. That is what God said, and James reiterated it in that verse there. undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On May 08, 2023
culf:
Without righteousness, even your requests for forgiveness of sins is an abomination to God since all the prayers — pleas, requests, petitions— of the unrighteous are an abomination to God. undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by culf: 4:17pm On May 09, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Without righteousness, even your requests for forgiveness of sins is an abomination to God since all the prayers — pleas, requests, petitions— of the unrighteous are an abomination to God. undecided

we are already righteous through Christ unless if you don't believe in Christ. jesus Christ is our righteousness, we are righteous through him.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On May 09, 2023
culf:
■ we are already righteous through Christ unless if you don't believe in Christ. jesus Christ is our righteousness, we are righteous through him.
1. You seem to be mistaken because Jesus Christ never said the righteousness he earned by living under God's Old Law of Moses — the National Constitution in the Land of Canaan— transfers to you and cancels out God's requirement of righteousness in His New Covenant, the National Constitution in the Kingdom of God. Additionally, Jesus Christ said the following to His followers to cause them to focus on attaining God's righteousness in order to enjoy the blessings of the Kingdom and enter into Heaven in the end
Your righteousness must be greater than that of the scribes and the Pharisees
19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I tell you, unless [b]your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.[/b] - Matthew 5 vs 19 - 20
■ Do not do your righteous works in order to receive glory from others
1 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, - Matthew 6 vs 1 - 3
■ Seek first the Kingdom of God(Holiness) and God's righteousness, in other that all these things — the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God — shall be added to you.
32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. - Matthew 6 vs 32 - 34
■ Become Holy just as your Father in Heaven is Holy
48 What I am saying is that you must be perfect, just as your Father in Heaven is perfect. - Matthew 5 vs 48

Given all of this, I put it to you that your claim regarding the righteousness of Jesus Christ transferring to you is wrong and you need to please read through the Gospels to learn the Truth as declared by Jesus Christ, God's New Covenant, and Law in the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by culf: 4:31pm On May 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. undecided

No one is righteous before God psalm 143:2. job 25:1-6.

God made Christ our wisdom, our righteousness 1cor 1:28-30.

righteousness of God is usually received as a gift through believing (Faith).

Rom 1:17. ROM 3:10--. ROM 4:1-5. gal 3:6-14. Phil 3:7.

Righteousness is not through work, its usually a gift through faith, that is why the holy book say we should boast in God because its not by our work.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On May 10, 2023
culf:
■ No one is righteous before God psalm 143:2. job 25:1-6.
■ God made Christ our wisdom, our righteousness 1cor 1:28-30. righteousness of God is usually received as a gift through believing (Faith). Rom 1:17. ROM 3:10--. ROM 4:1-5. gal 3:6-14. Phil 3:7.
■ Righteousness is not through work, its usually a gift through faith, that is why the holy book say we should boast in God because its not by our work.
1. But the men David and Job were both righteous before God — God said so in both cases. So here we see that you misconstrue the writings in both cases. undecided

2. The same Paul told you in Romans 2 vs 12 - 14 that hearing the law alone does not make people righteous with God, instead it is by doing what the Law says — obedience to the teachings and commandments of the Law, Jesus Christ — that they are in fact made righteous with God. So, yet again, we see that you equally misconstrue the writing of Paul and. I will, in another response dive deeper into the particular verses from his epistles to reveal how you clearly misconstrued even his word.undecided

3. In Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46, Jesus Christ listed the works of righteousness that those who are indeed righteous will do to earn their way into Heaven. As clearly indicated in those passages, those who do not have those works to show — the unrighteous — are punished with eternal damnation. So, clearly, again, you misconstrue what is presented to you regarding this topic in scripture.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On May 10, 2023
@Culf, In Romans 3 vs 10 - 18 quotes from various parts of scripture in his attempt to explain to his brethren that they were in fact the wicked and evil generation to the destroyed by God. Yes, at that point in time, God's plan was to destroy the rest of Israel — the Nation of Judah aka the Jews— and that plan was heralded by the coming of Jesus Christ. Below, we see that what Paul wrote in that passage was of the evil people who were against God.

Romans 3 vs 10 - 12 quotes Psalm 53 where David writes about the evil people who do terrible things.
1 Only fools think there is no God. People like that are evil and do terrible things. They never do what is right.
2 God looks down from heaven to see if there is anyone who is wise, anyone who looks to him for help.
3 But everyone has turned away from him. Everyone has become evil. No one does anything good. No, not one person!
4 Those who are evil treat my people like bread to be eaten. And they never ask for God’s help. Don’t they understand what they are doing? - Psalm 53 vs 1 - 3
The above passage clearly says that this prophecy was said of the evil people aka the fools who convinced themselves that God does not exist. You know this from reading verse 4 where God highlights the way evil people treat His people. undecided
Romans 3 vs 13 a Paul references David's prayer against his enemies found in Psalm 5
8 Lord, show me your right way of living and make it easy for me to follow. People are looking for my weaknesses, so show me how you want me to live.
9 My enemies never tell the truth. They only want to destroy people. Their words come from mouths that are like open graves. They use their lying tongues to deceive others.[a]
10 Punish them, God! Let them be caught in their own traps. They have turned against you, so punish them for their many crimes. - Psalm 5 vs 8 - 10
Romans 3 vs 13 b quotes from Psalm 140 where David prays to God regarding the evil people
1 Lord, save me from people who are evil. Protect me from those who are cruel,
2 from those who plan to do evil and always cause trouble.
3 Their words are as harmful as the fangs of a snake, as deadly as its venom. Selah
4 Lord, save me from the wicked! Protect me from these cruel people who plan to hurt me.
5 These proud people are trying to trap me. They spread nets to catch me; they set traps in my path. Selah - Psalm 140 vs 1 - 5
Romans 13 vs 15 quotes from Proverbs 1 which is a warning against evil people
10 My son, those who love to do wrong will try to trick you. Don’t listen to them.
11 They will say, “Come with us. Let’s hide and beat to death anyone who happens to walk by.
12 We will swallow them whole, as the grave swallows the dying.
13 We will take everything they have and fill our houses with stolen goods.
14 So join us, and you can share everything we get.”
15 My son, don’t follow them. Don’t even take the first step along that path.
16 They run to do something evil, and they cannot wait to kill someone. - Proverbs 1 vs 10 - 15
Romans 13 vs 16 - 17 references Isaiah's writing on the state of the evil people, whose sins separate them from God
1 Look, the Lord’s power is enough to save you. He can hear you when you ask him for help.
2 It is your sins that separate you from your God. He turns away from you when he sees them.
3 That’s because your hands are covered with blood from the people you murdered. You tell lies and say evil things.
4 You can’t be trusted, even in court. You lie about each other and depend on false arguments to win your cases. You create pain and produce wickedness.
5 You hatch evil, like eggs from a poisonous snake. Anyone who eats the eggs will die. And if you break one of them open, a poisonous snake will come out. Your lies are like spider webs.
6 They cannot be used for clothes, and you cannot cover yourself with them. Your hands are always busy sinning and hurting others.
7 Your feet run toward evil. You are always ready to kill innocent people. You think of nothing but evil. Everywhere you go you cause trouble and ruin.
8 You don’t know how to live in peace. You don’t do what is right and fair. You are crooked, and anyone who lives like that will never know true peace. - Isaiah 59 vs 1 - 8
Romans 13 vs 18 references Psalm 18 where David writes of the evil people and the workings of their minds.
1 Deep in the hearts of the wicked a voice tells them to do wrong. They have no respect for God.
2 They lie to themselves. They don’t see their own faults, so they are not sorry for what they do.
3 Their words are wicked lies. They have stopped doing anything wise or good.
4 They make wicked plans in bed at night. They choose a way of life that does no good. And they never say no to anything evil. - Psalm 36 vs 1 - 4

As you can see, every single passage of Scripture that was quoted by Paul in that context was written in reference to people who do evil. And of course, there are none righteous among the evil people for they have all sinned. undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On May 10, 2023
@Culf,
3. Considering what Paul meant in Romans 4 from verses 1-4

In Genesis 15 vs 1 - 7 where Paul supposedly quotes from, we learn that Abraham believed God. And we also learn that it was because of Abraham's faith — not just Abrahams's believing in God at that particular point in time — that Abraham was then justified. undecided
1 After all these things happened, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision. God said, “Abram, don’t be afraid. I will defend you and give you a great reward.”
2 But Abram said, “Lord God, there is nothing you can give me that will make me happy, because I have no son. My slave Eliezer from Damascus will get everything I own after I die.”
3 Abram said, “You have given me no son, so a slave born in my house will get everything I have.”
4 Then the Lord spoke to Abram and said, “That slave will not be the one to get what you have. You will have a son who will get everything you own.”
5 Then God led Abram outside and said, “Look at the sky. See the many stars. There are so many you cannot count them. Your family will be like that.”
6 Abram believed the Lord, and because of this faith the Lord accepted him as one who has done what is right.
7 He said to Abram, “I am the Lord who led you from Ur of Babylonia. I did this so that I could give you this land. You will own this land.” - Genesis 15 vs 1 - 7
That and right there in the statement is of importance. We see this when we examine what God Himself told Isaac of His reason for justifying Abraham in Genesis 26. undecided
1. Now there was a famine. This was like the famine that happened during Abraham’s life. So Isaac went to the town of Gerar, to King Abimelech of the Philistines.
2 The Lord spoke to Isaac and said, “Don’t go down to Egypt. Live in the land that I commanded you to live in.
3 Stay in this land, and I will be with you. I will bless you. I will give you and your family all these lands. I will do what I promised to Abraham your father.
4 I will make your family as many as the stars of heaven, and I will give all these lands to your family. Through your descendants[a] every nation on earth will be blessed.
5 I will do this because your father Abraham obeyed my words and did what I said. He obeyed my commands, my laws, and my rules. - Genesis 26 vs 1 - 5
According to God, Abraham's faith — the same that caused God to justify him, Abraham— was one that consisted of Abraham doing works in obedience to God's commandments and rules. undecided
So, before you read Romans 4, make sure you have a good understanding of the background information before diving in to assume you have him figured out. undecided
1. So what can we say about Abraham, the father of our people? What did he learn about faith?
2 If Abraham was made right by the things he did, he had a reason to boast about himself. But God knew different.
3 That’s why the Scriptures say, “Abraham believed God, and because of this he was accepted as one who is right with God.”
4 When people work, their pay is not given to them as a gift. They earn the pay they get.
5 But people cannot do any work that will make them right with God. So they must trust in him. Then he accepts their faith, and that makes them right with him. He is the one who makes even evil people right.
6 David said the same thing when he was talking about the blessing people have when God accepts them as good without looking at what they have done:
7 “It is a great blessing when people are forgiven for the wrongs they have done, when their sins are erased!
8 It is a great blessing when the Lord accepts people as if they are without sin!” - Romans 4 vs 1 - 8
Basically what Paul is saying — found primarily in verses 4 & 5 —is pretty much that the standard of Righteousness is God's. One cannot simply tick off a checklist of todos, and then declare oneself righteous afterward as one would from a job. There is no x number of tasks to complete and then you have earned Righteousness as the reward for the job done. Rather, the expectation is that one fully trusts God and in turn lives one's life in continuous obedience to God — faith. God, the standard of righteousness, then takes one's faith — one's trust/submission and obedience(works) to Him — and decides to make one right when He, God, deems one worthy of it. undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:17am On May 11, 2023
peacenow:
This topic is to encourage others to fellowship and have personal relationship with God and develop the mind of being prayerful in all we do as Christians....

Christians are prayer full and most certainly know how to pray. It is those who deceive themselves to be Christians who suffer this deficiency.
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkiee: 3:39pm On May 15, 2023
peacenow:
■ Sir/Ma, Look at the Lord's Prayer as thought by our Lord Jesus. We need to seperate doctrine from scriptures. Lord Jesus tought us a different way. I am keenly looking forward to your anwer because I used to pray the way you suggested but now I don't because I found another way in the scriptures. Even as I was praying wrongly, He still hears my prayers but I want to continue in the right path Jesus tought us.
God said He does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous, so are you insinuating that God is some sort of liar? undecided
Re: How Can We Pray Simple Prayers As Christians Correctly? by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On May 26, 2023
peacenow:
■ I read the scriptures and found out that people were with Jesus and asked him to teach them how to pray for the purpose of getting result of prayers. They must have prayed stayed with him, moved with him and eat with him and even saw him got result of prayers in their presence. While they asked Jesus how to pray, they were with him. (These afore mentioned points were my assuptions)
Jesus did not teach us to ask for forginess of sins as first aspect of our prayer but many Christians today think about purification by asking for forgiveness of sins thinking this prayer request will make them pure in the presence of God. In the Lord's prayer, after thanking and praising God, GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD comes before AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESSPASSES. Christ is our rightheousness. God sees us through Jesus Christ. He said " No one comes to the Father except through me" Jesus referred to Himself. For anyone evangelising out there. Please, you can make the prayer simple after a convert accepts Jesus as his/her personal Lord and saviour
I am afraid most of what amounts to soundbite here contravenes Jesus Christ. For one, your prayers of conversion are meaningless since God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous, and He does not change His mind about such things. Also, God does not equally answer pleas for the forgiveness of sins said by the unrighteous. As for Jesus Christ not teaching you how to ask for forgiveness of sins, He did in the Lord's prayer but that prayer takes full effect after you become Righteous not before, so you are to say it daily in obedience to His commandment and teachings anyways — every time you wish to pray at least. undecided

You see, Scripture states that God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the pleas and requests and every petition, praise, offering, work, plea, sacrifice, etc., of the unrighteous are tainted by their sins(disobedience/unholiness) and are hence an abomination to God. So, what is definite is that even your many pleas for the forgiveness of sins are not answered by God given that God made no special exemptions for that kind of plea. No amount of praying can cause God to change His mind regarding that which concerns the unrighteous by the way. So if you are thinking of prescribing more prayers that only means you really don't understand or know God at all. undecided

God, however, openly bragged about how He only answers the prayers of the righteous; He delights in granting them the desires of their heart meaning that they are those who he loves. For this very reason, Jesus Christ urged His followers to seek first the Kingdom of God and God's Righteousness in order that all things— the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(holiness), answers to prayers included—shall be added on to them. And as Jesus Christ explained in His Gospel, the only way to become Holy, and then also Righteous, is by way of continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, god's Truth and Law in the Kingdom of god - John 8 vs 31 - 36 & John 14 vs 15 - 23. Jesus Christ is the only way. Obedience to the Truth of God is the one and only path to righteousness. No amount of praying and other religious rituals can accomplish that. undecided

God deals indirectly with the unrighteous, the same way He deals with the unbelievers including the wicked and the ungrateful and that is by pouring out His mercy and kindness on them daily. So every time as an unrighteous you feel that God has answered your prayer know that at that same moment, or moments before that, God also provided the same mercy or similar to someone else across the world — or maybe just across from you— who does not even believe in God, nor asked God for anything. So, if answers from God are what you seek, then do what Jesus Christ said you should, which is to seek first the Kingdom of God(holiness), and then God's righteousness, in order that all these things —the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(including answers to prayers) can be added to you. undecided

(1) (Reply)

To Whom And Where Did Cain Marry From After Being Banished / . / Zion Pastor Dies, Leaves Behind 32 Wives, 520 Children, 1,300 Grandchildren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.