Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,555 members, 7,908,489 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 07:31 AM

Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? (1620 Views)

Husband Caught His Politician Wife In Bed With Their Adopted Son (Pictures) / Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / 65-Year-Old Indonesian Grandmother Marries Her 24-Year-Old Adopted Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by toluxa1(m): 8:05am On Nov 20, 2020
Please can an adopted son marry the biological daughter of the same family he’s adopted to?
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Karleb(m): 8:07am On Nov 20, 2020
Why would he want to do that?
They are siblings. That should be another form of incest.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Mindlog: 8:10am On Nov 20, 2020
I guess a sexual relationship already exists between them. As long he was legally adopted, the law sees them as siblings.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by laiza(m): 8:11am On Nov 20, 2020
toluxa1:
Please can an adopted son marry the biological daughter of the same family he’s adopted to?
I don't see anything wrong with that since they basically understood each other better, probably more than anyone they both could have been involved with separately. It's more like a situation of cousins marrying each other. But it has to be with the consent of both parties and the parents has to be okay with it as well otherwise their union would be seen as incestuous.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by laiza(m): 8:17am On Nov 20, 2020
Karleb:
Why would he want to do that?

They are siblings. That should be another form of incest.
Please care to expatriate on that cos I don't see how they are "siblings" biologically speaking. They don't share the same DNA nor do they have a blood ancestry.
The only issue is environmental which is insignificant in as much as they both understand each other and have feel the same way towards one another. Too many homes have been broken due to misunderstanding and less trivial issues. If they have a chance at happiness let them take it. My view though!
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by chatinent: 8:22am On Nov 20, 2020
It's incest no matter how you sugarcoat it.

Why a sister?

Does she know you've been looking her all this while seductively?

1 Like

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by coolsegun2002: 8:23am On Nov 20, 2020
Where is lalasticlala seff...??
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Karleb(m): 8:26am On Nov 20, 2020
laiza:
Please care to expatriate on that cos I don't see how they are "siblings" biologically speaking. They don't share the same DNA nor do they have a blood ancestry.
The only issue is environmental which is insignificant in as much as they both understand each other and have feel the same way towards one another. Too many homes have been broken due to misunderstanding and less trivial issues. If they have a chance at happiness let them take it. My view though!

Cousins marrying each other is incest as well.

It common in a particular tribe doesn't mean it's normal or should be normalized.

When you adopt a child, you take them in as your child and as time goes on your own children see them as siblings because that is what they are; siblings.

On a lighter note, imagine you are both the father or the mother of the groom and bride.cheesy
Imagine being your own in-law. The groom and bride siblings become their own in-laws as well.

Abeg, let's not encourage incest. cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by bigjackass: 8:38am On Nov 20, 2020
e no make sense abeg. Personally I will not allow it as the parent. If that grown ass man that I raised as my own son can't see my daughter as his own sister then that is his problem. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 20, 2020
Shey women don finish ni?

1 Like

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by sethtsadopp: 10:32am On Nov 20, 2020
E get as a be actually

lalasticlala
mynd44
sissy3
dominique
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Fountainofyouth(f): 10:35am On Nov 20, 2020
laiza:

I don't see anything wrong with that since they basically understood each other better, probably more than anyone they both could have been involved with separately. It's more like a situation of cousins marrying each other. But it has to be with the consent of both parties and the parents has to be okay with it as well otherwise their union would be seen as incestuous.

This one sleeps with his cousins and siblings for a living.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Fountainofyouth(f): 10:36am On Nov 20, 2020
That means the parents did a very poor job of raising them as siblings.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Fountainofyouth(f): 10:39am On Nov 20, 2020
laiza:

The passion you use to prove your point though, it's not just your view, you may be an offspring of two cousins or siblings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Mindlog: 10:56am On Nov 20, 2020
bigjackass:
e no make sense abeg. Personally I will not allow it as the parent. If that grown ass man that I raised as my own son can't see my daughter as his own sister then that is his problem. Nonsense

His problem? What if they already have a sexual relationship going on?
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by laiza(m): 11:01am On Nov 20, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

This one sleeps with his cousins and siblings for a living.
And what if I do? Who makes you cousins and siblings police? I still don't understand why people just don't know how to mind their business!!! My life, my headache �
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Fountainofyouth(f): 11:03am On Nov 20, 2020
laiza:
And what if I do? Who makes you cousins and siblings police? I still don't understand why people just don't know how to mind their business!!! My life, my headache �

As expected, I don't blame you though, just that something isn't right with you, but you don't know that.....yet.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Fountainofyouth(f): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2020
Mindlog:

His problem? What if they already have a sexual relationship going on?

Another one....

1 Like

Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by nafisu: 11:06am On Nov 20, 2020
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Mindlog: 11:56am On Nov 20, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

Another one....

Another one, what?
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by yvelchstores(f): 12:32pm On Nov 20, 2020
No he can't. They are siblings by law.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by toluxa1(m): 3:06am On Dec 06, 2020
yvelchstores:
No he can't. They are siblings by law.

LOL which Law.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Saintmary(f): 5:54am On Dec 06, 2020
Disgusting question.
The adoptive father should kick that ungrateful lecher out sharp.

How do you legalize nonsense?
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Pbuikem(m): 9:23am On Sep 06, 2022
Here's another scenario for y'all:
Two divorcees meet in their later years, the man with a teenage son and daughter, both older than the woman's teenage girl. The man and woman get married and make one family with the three kids. Later on, the son of the man falls in love with the daughter of the woman and they both want to get married.

Remember, the parents will be their own in-laws and all that you all said earlier.

Again, do you think it's wrong for these two "brother and sister" to get married

PS: I do not support an adopted brother marrying the sister in a situation where they have lived together from birth. But what do I know?

However, this particular scenario, what is your take?
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 06, 2022
When you adopt a child, legally he/she becomes your own child and your children becomes his/her siblings.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Kobojunkie: 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2022
Benstino:
When you adopt a child, legally he/she becomes your own child and your children becomes his/her siblings.
In some cultures, people adopt a son in hopes that he will marry their kid and continue their line as a result. These things aren't written in stone.

Your legal documents are nothing but papers. They do not exchange the blood or DNA of the adopted parties in any way or form. The same way orphans raised in an orphanage can grow up to marry each other is the same way adopted kids can grow up to marry their adopted siblings. undecided
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 06, 2022
Pbuikem:
Here's another scenario for y'all:
Two divorcees meet in their later years, the man with a teenage son and daughter, both older than the woman's teenage girl. The man and woman get married and make one family with the three kids. Later on, the son of the man falls in love with the daughter of the woman and they both want to get married.

Remember, the parents will be their own in-laws and all that you all said earlier.

Again, do you think it's wrong for these two "brother and sister" to get married

PS: I do not support an adopted brother marrying the sister in a situation where they have lived together from birth. But what do I know?

However, this particular scenario, what is your take?

To me, it's wrong. If a specific culture or religion allows it, then I have no say in that, but normally, it's just not right.

The two units have already become a single family.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
In some cultures, people adopt a son in hopes that he will marry their kid and continue their line as a result. These things aren't written in stone.

I hope you know that even though marriage between cousins is prohibited culturally and legally in most countries, yet in some Arab countries, cousins marry each other.
There's no kinda inappropriate practice that you won't see a culture where its considered a normalcy
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Sep 06, 2022
Benstino:
I hope you know that even though marriage between cousins is prohibited culturally and legally in most countries, yet in some Arab countries, cousins marry each other.
There's no kinda inappropriate practice that you won't see a culture where its considered a normalcy
What one group considers inappropriate is usually inappropriate mainly because that group chooses to label it as such. And that is the case with the issue of adoptive siblings marrying each other. undecided
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What one group considers inappropriate is usually inappropriate mainly because that group chooses to label it as such. And that is the case with the issue of adoptive siblings marrying each other. undecided

It's really not the case. Certain things are inappropriate not because one group chooses to label it as such, but because they are morally or legally wrong.

When you adopt a child, that child is legally yours, and has the right to inherit whatsoever you possess, and every single right that pertains to someone's child. In the case of a boy, he becomes a brother to your daughter. That is a law. Him marrying your daughter is him marrying his sister.
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Sep 06, 2022
Benstino:
1. It's really not the case. Certain things are inappropriate not because one group chooses to label it as such, but because they are morally wrong.

2. When you adopt a child, that child is legally yours, and has the right to inherit whatsoever you possess, and every single right that pertains to someone's child. In the case of a boy, he becomes a brother to your daughter. That is a law. Him marrying your daughter is him marrying his sister.
1. We don't all subscribe to the same moral standards hence the reason why we have laws. So long as it is not a crime, it is inappropriate simply because one group wants it labeled as such. undecided

2. Legally mine does not translate to biologically mine. Let's at least get that straight. So, regardless of whether the adopted child can inherit from me or not, the child is not biologically mine. And as such should be rightfully able to marry even the adopted sibling. undecided

Again, carefully consider the case of orphans raised in an orphanage knowing each other as brothers and sisters. undecided
Re: Can An Adopted Son Marry His Sister? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. We don't all subscribe to the same moral standards hence the reason why we have laws. So long as it is not a crime, it is inappropriate simply because one group wants it labeled as such. undecided

2. Legally mine does not translate to biologically mine. Let's at least get that straight. So, regardless of whether the adopted child can inherit from me or not, the child is not biologically mine. And as such should be rightfully able to marry even the adopted sibling. undecided

Again, carefully consider the case of orphans raised in an orphanage knowing each other as brothers and sisters. undecided

We live in a legal world. Infact, many relationships that are the strongest have legal bonds, example, marriage. It's "legally together" that even gives birth to "biologically together". So, legality ought be respected.

In the case of Orphanages, there's no law that binds children in the Orphanage as siblings, biologically or legally.
Even if they use the words "brothers and sisters", then U've got to understand that the definition of those terms in that instance, according to the dictionary is :

Sister : "any woman or girl with whom a bond is felt through membership of a race, religion or organization"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Settle For House Paints When You Have Better Options? / My Neighbour's Wife Hangs Out With Men Leaving The Husband And Child At Home / What Makes People To Steal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.