Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,013 members, 7,946,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 05:20 PM

Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? (596 Views)

The Vice President Of Nigeria Diminished My Passion For Art At ICC / Interswitch Spak Science Competition To Resuscitate Nigeria’s Education System / Can U Solve This Primary 6 Quantitative Reasoning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:11am On Nov 21, 2020
Of recent I have come into contact with 5 to 10 year old kids and my greatest astonishment is that though these kids are very vocal and can speak quite well, they seem not to be able to read nor solve basic maths. I am talking about 2 plus 5 kind of mathematics alongside double and triple digits maths.

What exactly are schools teaching these kids nowadays? They are overloaded with all sorts of assignments but they absolutely know nothing about what they are supposed to know for their age or are the teachers refusing to teach cause of low pay. Most of these students come from schools that pay between 40k to 60k fees and teachers in those schools earn 15k to 20k salary Max. It seems one would need millions of naira to be able to give their children sound educational footing nowadays.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by olawalepopoola: 11:44am On Nov 21, 2020
Parents have extra work to do. You have to find time for the kids

2 Likes

Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2020
Even secondary school, wetin dem dey teach us sef? After all,we were taught ms-excel on the board grin
Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by kleverley(m): 1:10pm On Nov 21, 2020
Even in secondary schools, I'm quite astonished by the assessments I give this children and their performances. To be frank, sometimes the teachers are competent and execute their duties properly but the children are so lazy this time around, in some cases Parents are responsible for this, they pamper these kids excessively. Children do not do their homework, won't write notes and will always sleep in class. I don't know but maybe these children need that discipline which is missing.

It's quite pathetic

2 Likes

Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 21, 2020
kleverley:
Even in secondary schools, I'm quite astonished by the assessments I give these children and their performances. To be frank, sometimes the teachers are competent and execute their duties properly but the children are so lazy this time around, in some cases Parents are responsible for this, they pamper these kids excessively. Children do not do their homework, won't write notes, and will always sleep in class. I don't know but maybe these children need that discipline which is missing.

It's quite pathetic

Is not always the teachers, some kids are over-pampered. You dear not beat a child. Back in the days if you don't do your assignment or your notebook wasn't updated you get some strokes of the cane. Fear of been flogged will make you sit up, kids these days know you can't touch them.
I remember years back when I was teaching, a child got zero the proprietor said I shouldn't give him zero. Instead, I should write repeat, the teachers are forced to make these kids appear brilliant to their parents meanwhile they know nothing. I know of a boy in primary 5 who doesn't know the 3 times table and next year his mum will be sending him to JS1. Parents only concern these days is for their children to graduate as early as possible.

Finally, book smart doesn't mean you will excel in life. The then class clown of my class now own a tech company and a dry cleaning agency in Abuja. To be sincere those who weren't that sound academically are the ones really doing well. The book smart ones are underemployed.
Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by reccy(m): 6:10pm On Nov 21, 2020
This issue is a serious one. I, personally, have checked some secondary schools notes and what i found made me sad and dumbfounded immediately.

We are losing this things gradually and we don't know. Hardly will you see that brilliant student in your locality these days and no one seems to care.
There was a time an Ss2 students brought his assignment to help him, Basic maths, this guy cannot even give me slightest idea of what he knew in the class during the teaching. I immediately ceased the opportunity to ask him some questions in maths... Brothers and sisters, come and see the life of mathematics in kogi state. Mathematics is gone!

I then wonder, where are we going with this

Is it the quiz i witnessed that almost made me cry? A quiz competition for senior secondary school had questions that ordinarily should be given to primary or at most, junior class being failed by the suppose mathematics gurus from each school.

I turned to my friend and said, see the life of maths in kogi state....maths is gone here!!!
Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:29pm On Nov 21, 2020
reccy:
This issue is a serious one. I, personally, have checked some secondary schools notes and what i found made me sad and dumbfounded immediately.

We are losing this things gradually and we don't know. Hardly will you see that brilliant student in your locality these days and no one seems to care.
There was a time an Ss2 students brought his assignment to help him, Basic maths, this guy cannot even give me slightest idea of what he knew in the class during the teaching. I immediately ceased the opportunity to ask him some questions in maths... Brothers and sisters, come and see the life of mathematics in kogi state. Mathematics is gone!

I then wonder, where are we going with this

Is it the quiz i witnessed that almost made me cry? A quiz competition for senior secondary school had questions that ordinarily should be given to primary or at most, junior class being failed by the suppose mathematics gurus from each school.

I turned to my friend and said, see the life of maths in kogi state....maths is gone here!!!
And people are shouting learn to code, learn to program. How is Nigeria going to produce next generation software engineers when basic maths is a problem.
Re: Is It Just Me Or Is Nigeria's Education At Primary Level Diminished? by BrutusOj(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2020
kleverley:
Even in secondary schools, I'm quite astonished by the assessments I give this children and their performances. To be frank, sometimes the teachers are competent and execute their duties properly but the children are so lazy this time around, in some cases Parents are responsible for this, they pamper these kids excessively. Children do not do their homework, won't write notes and will always sleep in class. I don't know but maybe these children need that discipline which is missing.

It's quite pathetic
Lazy is an understatement. This generation is something else, they are not willing to learn at all, especially those in private schools.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me With This Issue. / Will Jamb Data Correction Be Done Without Making Corrections On Your Nin? / Top 4 Challenges Students Face In School (Number 4 Will Muzz You)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.