Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,254 members, 7,880,940 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:38 AM

The Ijebu Vs Jebusite - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ijebu Vs Jebusite (8746 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Fact About The Ijebu-ode / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 11:40pm On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Yeah I saw that also. The most reasonable one to me. Is the Sudan migration legend. I believe we came father from sudan.
Until I finally establish who the jebus of ancient Jerusalem was then I'll know what to believe.
Only Palestine claim descendant of jebus.
Palestine should be Philistine and ijebu the jebus. Some legend say Edo might be Edomite of old but I'm not from Edo make I face my business
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 1:40am On Dec 01, 2020
gomojam:
grin grin grin Have you now seen what we've been pointing out? The impostor is trying to sow a seed of discord among us. I have always wondered why they like choosing Ijebu for such agenda. What's your opinion.

Let him tell his history and stop forcing fake non existed oduduwa on him
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 1:46am On Dec 01, 2020
tollyboy5:

Lol this is why true ijebu will always be ijebu. I've seen the very difference from us and the rest of the Yoruba race. Our achievement and way of life.

I don't need you to tell me more about myself. You may be vast in what you know but you can't tell me who I am.
I know your type of people. You won't hesitate to bend history if it don't favor you.
I just said some serious issues and you're here talking joke.
Its just like the way some yeye people call me ipob because of I don't support tinubu. These set of people are delusional thinking they're are fighting for the Yoruba cause.
In real life many ijebu will be quick to let you know that their ijebus.
Immediately people will start tagging them ijebu man. Its common for Yorubas to tagged ijebus with negative stuff.
I use to avoid making myself known as ijebu in the past and prefer someone calling me omo-epe
Not until I noticed we've been the most influential Yoruba ethnic group in present day Nigeria.
Many ijebus only know their history as yorubas thanks to the awujale and other ijebus that decide to dig deep to know our history. I will let you and your remaining historian that decide to turn blind eye to facts continue with your agenda.
If you like call me whatever you like.
That doesn't change the fact that I'm from awujale lineage.
You people should be compiling history and add little lies to it . we will do our own research and publish our own findings.
Ijebu history is already in the internet for you to see.
I remember my sister told me they thought her in lasu in history and international relation dept that epe people were descendant of aworis.
Since then I knew historians can't know more than the natives in actual sense.

My family history is told by word but more accurate than what some historians might want to compile.
End of thread! angry

You're not bold enough you're still trying not tp hirt feelings thereby hurting your people
Am the opposite of you

Truth is truth tell it and don't be shy
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by davidnazee: 2:38am On Dec 01, 2020
tollyboy5:

Yeah I saw that also. The most reasonable one to me. Is the Sudan migration legend. I believe we came father from sudan.
Until I finally establish who the jebus of ancient Jerusalem was then I'll know what to believe.
Only Palestine claim descendant of jebus.
Palestine should be Philistine and ijebu the jebus. Some legend say Edo might be Edomite of old but I'm not from Edo make I face my business

It's only a Yoruba that will write this rubbish..
Edo didn't migrate from anywhere.. We have been on the same soil from the beginning of time..
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by davidnazee: 2:54am On Dec 01, 2020
TAO11:
To give a quick background on the historical connection between Lagos and Benin:

Except among historians, what the average person [Yoruba or non-Yoruba] knows about the Benin-Lagos relationship is that an Edo/Bini prince is the progenitor of present-day Lagos [Lagos Island] kings.

This narrative has become so popular and widespread that it has become accepted even by many Yorubas as if it is the historical reality.

What is actually very shocking to find, however, is that historians have named this particular narrative as: the Benin account.

But why did historians give it such a name? Isn’t this narrative the correct and factual historical position?

Well, historians have so named this narrative because, unlike the general public, they (the historians) are aware of the fact that this narrative is simply one narrative which had actually originally emerged from the Binis.

In other words, there is another narrative which is known unfortunately (almost) only by historians, and which differs from the Benin’s narrative in very important respects.

This other narrative is known by historians as: the Lagos account. Yes, it is unfortunately not as widespread as the Benin account.

The Benin account became so popular that it has found acceptance by non-experts or non-historians who are completely oblivious of the fact that there is something as a Lagos account.

In fact, its popularity [courtesy of the successes of the writings of Chief Egharevba] has made the Benin account find its way even into local family stories — especially as the lay person is oblivious to the Lagos account.

Yes, I can imagine what you may be thinking: That perhaps the Lagos account is a latter-day account which simply came up in reaction to the Benin account.

Guess what! The reverse is actually the case.

The Benin account [which claims, among other things, that the Binis settled in Lagos via a military conquest; and that the present-day monarchy of Lagos Island was begun by an Edo/Bini prince] first surfaced from Benin in a publication of Chief Egharevba in the year 1953.

On the other hand, the Lagos account have long been published by Rev J. B. Wood in 1878; by Rev. J. B. Losi in 1914; and also by the then Governor of Nigeria, Sir Alan Burns in 1929.

[The attachment below shows a relevant page from Sir Alan Burns’ publication, viz. “History of Nigeria”, 1929].

In other words, decades before the Benin account ever surfaced for the first time, the Lagos account had already been published.

It thus becomes clear, at this point, which account was in fact a reaction to the other.

The Lagos account states clearly that although the Binis desired to settle in Lagos [like many other groups], the Binis continued to attempt it the wrong way until they finally got the message.

They had been attempting for some time to settle in via force so as to take control of the booming European coastal trade, etc.

They were, however, so repelled by the Aworis that they eventually got the memo and then resorted to seek permission to settle in peacefully just like others were doing.

The Binis were thus granted permission to settle on Lagos island and occupy a designated area — the permission was granted by the Awori islanders whose king (who controlled the Iddo island and Lagos island, et al.) was the then Olofin of Iddo.

Moreover, the Lagos accounts also states clearly that the progenitor of the present ruling dynasty of Lagos Island is a Yoruba man by the name Ashipa.

Ashipa (according to the Lagos account) is an Awori man and one of the Isheri chiefs of Ife royal descent — he is a member of the Olofin of Isheri’s family.

Ashipa is said in the Lagos account to have initiated a patron-protegé pact with the powerful king of Benin thus gaining his support during the succession tussle (among the eligible Awori princes) on the island, after the demise of the Olofin of Iddo.

It was as a result of this patron-protege pact with the Benin king that Ashipa emerged as the people’s favorite prince [not without the support of both his people and the immigrant groups].

As a result of this success, the Benin king and people earned Ashipa’s unwavering loyality — hence his remittances to the King of Benin which then continued into a custom among other customs consequent to the success of the pact.

The attached screenshot below shows the Lagos account as contained in page 35 of Sir Alan Burns’ “History of Nigeria”, 1929.

Now that you know better @tollyboy5, please do not join them in popularizing Egharevba’s propaganda which was simply a reaction to this much earlier account.

In sum, the Benin account which claims that Ashipa [spelt as “Esikpa” by Egharevba] is a Bini man, and that the Binis settled on the island via military conquest is in fact the latter-day account which as has been shown is in stark conflict with what the Lagos account had stated decades earlier in clear and unequivocal terms.

Cheers!
cc: macof, LegendHero, gomojam, nisai, RedboneSmith, scholes0, babtoundey, RuggedSniper, Balogunodua, Barbilius

dumb dumb you have started again with all these your long and stupid essays..
The Benin account you claimed was told or written by historians from which century and which century was the Lagos account written?
Yorubas have been trying since 1930s to change thousand years history..

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 3:53am On Dec 01, 2020
You all are felling the heat already. Haha! Sorry oo . grin

4 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:01am On Dec 01, 2020
davidnazee:

It's only a Yoruba that will write this rubbish..
Edo didn't migrate from anywhere.. We have been on the same soil from the beginning of time..
Just saying. I'm not talking of Edo . and I'm not referring to any Yoruba history.
I'll join the afro america historical search. I believed the Benin controlled the old Lagos but my part of Lagos was not Lagos then. And we were not under benin
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by valirex: 8:01am On Dec 01, 2020
davidnazee:

dumb dumb you have started again with all these your long and stupid essays..
The Benin account you claimed was told or written by historians from which century and which century was the Lagos account written?
Yorubas have been trying since 1930s to change thousand years history..

Lol you sef notice am, very senseless epistle just to paint lies into truth

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 8:47am On Dec 01, 2020
The truth is finally surfacing!

E pain dem. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by davidnazee: 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2020
valirex:

Lol you sef notice am, very senseless epistle just to paint lies into truth

na yeye dey worry Tao12..
funny thing is that any claims she makes is not corroborated by her fellow Yorubas, she seems to be the only one to know these things (lies).. her fellow Yorubas are only excited at seeing such new (fake) stories.. unlike we Edos, any claim by any Edo is easily corroborated by fellow Edos because it is common knowledge among Edos..

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 4:07pm On Dec 01, 2020
What a salty pool of tears from the heartbroken Binis above me. cheesy

The consolation is epically next to none. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
Etinosa1234:
So Tao11 don marry sef
Wetin happen? So u dey eye her b4 grin grin
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 4:51pm On Dec 01, 2020
gomojam:
grin grin grin Have you now seen what we've been pointing out? The impostor is trying to sow a seed of discord among us. I have always wondered why they like choosing Ijebu for such agenda. What's your opinion.
Probably because they think there aren’t so many people of Ijebu heritage around — thus causing them to conclude that they will get a free pass with such lies.

Some of their weirdest ignorance is that when the word “Ijebu” is mentioned they simply think “Ijebu-Ode”. grin

Another ignorance from them is that the same ignoramuses always contend that Awolowo elevated Ife, Oduduwa, et. al. above all else recently.

And I’d be like: If you must lie, can you at least chose the name of an Ife indigene. Awolowo is an Ijebu man — the wrongest example for their propaganda. cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2020
TAO11:
Probably because they think there aren’t so many people of Ijebu heritage around — thus causing them to conclude that they will get a free pass with such lies.

Some of their weirdest ignorance is that when the word “Ijebu” is mentioned they simply think “Ijebu-Ode”. grin

Another ignorance from them is that the same ignoramuses always contend that Awolowo elevated Ife, Oduduwa, et. al. above all else recently.

And I’d be like: If you must lie, can you at least name an Ife indigene. Awolowo is an Ijebu man — the wrongest example for their propaganda. cheesy

I wish I knew you in person! cry

May your brain stay intact!

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 5:07pm On Dec 01, 2020
gomojam:

Lol!

Amen oo!

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Etinosa1234: 5:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
undecided
gomojam:
Wetin happen? So u dey eye her b4 grin grin

Werey... How I go dey eye anonymous person?

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2020
Another reading of excerpts — Continuing from the last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCSqxtgZsw

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 5:16pm On Dec 01, 2020

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Barbilius: 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2020
TAO11:
More readings of excerpts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz71KS2dZpA&t=82s
is there a free pdf version of this book?

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 7:19pm On Dec 01, 2020
Barbilius:
is there a free pdf version of this book?
I am not aware of any free soft version on the internet.

The closest I’ve found to a free copy is on scribd.com where it allows you free reading, but only for a limited period of time.

Public libraries should also have copies that can be borrowed for some time.

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by davidnazee: 7:56pm On Dec 01, 2020
gomojam:

hahahahahahahahaha!!!
this your prayer is like telling a short man; "may your height stay intact"..
you Yorubas funny die..
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 8:18am On Dec 02, 2020
davidnazee:

hahahahahahahahaha!!!
this your prayer is like telling a short man; "may your height stay intact"..
you Yorubas funny die..
Trolling her won't change anything from the damage she did to you and your Edo miscreants.... grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:29am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

Trolling her won't change anything from the damage she did to you and your Edo miscreants.... grin grin
Instead of people to go after fact people are going after self exaltation and supremacy battle. Distorting history.
Both yorubas and benin are guilty of this. I see some recent claim of lordship by Benin with no concrete evidence. Though I won't disagree they controlled the old Lagos but expanding their territory to other part is what I won't accept.
Now the aspect of Yoruba historians trying to force everyone to ife origin is what I won't buy also. I read some history on Egyptian conquest and Arabian invasion. I'll be coming from that angle when I start doing my research.
Till then b4 ill create new thread

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 6:38am On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

Instead of people to go after fact people are going after self exaltation and supremacy battle. Distorting history.
Both yorubas and benin are guilty of this. I see some recent claim of lordship by Benin with no concrete evidence. Though I won't disagree they controlled the old Lagos but expanding their territory to other part is what I won't accept.
Now the aspect of Yoruba historians trying to force everyone to ife origin is what I won't buy also. I read some history on Egyptian conquest and Arabian invasion. I'll be coming from that angle when I start doing my research.

Good, so u believe every yoruba coming from is a lie too

Nice one
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 7:49am On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Good, so u believe every yoruba coming from is a lie too

Nice one
The Benin are also liars , when they started expanding the Benin empire to where it did not reach. Calling oduduwa a banish prince undecided

Nobody is ready to use their sense. I'll do my own findings
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 9:13am On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

Nobody is forcing Ile-Ife origin on anyone..and not all Yorubas are from Ife but Ife unites us and I don't see any Yoruba complaining.. me myself an Okun guy don't see anything wrong with it.

And as for the Benin boys cheesy they should provide evidence that the word Oba is of Benin origin and it meaning with prove just like TOA did.. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 9:39am On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

The Benin are also liars , when they started expanding the Benin empire to where it did not reach. Calling oduduwa a banish prince undecided

Nobody is ready to use their sense. I'll do my own findings

You heard my brother saying the bini conquest to epe didnt happen

And calling oduduwa a banish prince that infact is a big lie from benin, benin and ife came to have connection during the late 1800,the Oduduwa fairytales never happened but mads up

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:45am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

Nobody is forcing Ile-Ife origin on anyone..and not all Yorubas are from Ife but Ife unites us and I don't see any Yoruba complaining.. me myself an Okun guy don't see anything wrong with it.

And as for the Benin boys cheesy they should provide evidence that the word Oba is of Benin origin and it meaning with prove just like TOA did.. grin
You just aired my view. Ife unite us and we are one Yoruba. But tao chose the part of we all coming from ife.
I've read some Yoruba history in the past. Those history where mostly about Oyo empire. So I don't really accept history touching ijebu while capitalizing on Oyo .
I'll watch the videos she shared on this thread later. I'm not after Benin vs Yoruba supremacy struggle here. I'm after the migration from middle east. I looking for a better history covering roman conquest and Arabian conquest forcing people out of their land.

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:57am On Dec 03, 2020
gregyboy:

You heard my brother saying the bini conquest to epe didnt happen

And calling oduduwa a banish prince that infact is a big lie from benin, benin and ife came to have connection during the late 1800,the Oduduwa fairytales never happened but mads up
Okay good. Lets us all stop this kind bending of history and try to trace truth and fact. Many area in Lagos has Benin name origin.
If Eko means war camp I'll stand by the history of Lagos I once read. The aworis were attacking the Benin traders and the oba of Benin sent his army down to Lagos. On getting there they were fully accepted by the aworis.
It just shows the aworis were not strong enough to dominate the Benin soldiers so that accepted peace treaty with the benis.
I don't want any distortion in my head for now until I do more careful findings.
The egun of badagry fought the aworis and took over badagry area. Since the benin republic are close to badagry I will accept the fact that the aworis were the ones who went to settle on the egun axis. And they decided to chase them out.

I'll contact my badagry friends from Lagos state indigene union to know what they have to say. I guess thats a better way of getting through fact not one sided story favoring one sect of people
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Balogunodua(m): 9:58am On Dec 03, 2020
tollyboy5:

You just aired my view. Ife unite us and we are one Yoruba. But tao chose the part of we all coming from ife.
I've read some Yoruba history in the past. Those history where mostly about Oyo empire. So I don't really accept history touching ijebu while capitalizing on Oyo .
I'll watch the videos she shared on this thread later. I'm not after Benin vs Yoruba supremacy struggle here. I'm after the migration from middle east. I looking for a better history covering roman conquest and Arabian conquest forcing people out of their land.
When did she claim the entire ijebu are from Ife?

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 10:18am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2020
Balogunodua:

I originally created the thread to see if anyone has been doing any finding about the the biblical jebusite . since only the Palestine who were suppose to be the philistine claimed to be defendant of jebus. Only ijebu still maintain still maintain a very close name to jebus.
Do we actually know how it was originally pronounce back then by the jebusite? The "site" is just an English word ijebu call themselves omo-ijebu which is pronounce as "omo-jebu" and we name our towns with ijebu attached to it.
Even places like epe and remo that don't have ijebu attached to it you'll see native refer themselves as ijebu-epe or ijebu-remo .
I don't want to join the historian giving the word "ijebu" random meaning. We need to more findings. If itshekiri and ijebu share similar dialet its more logical for them to be together one certain time. And recent research shows itshekiri speaks the original ijebu dialet. Just the way we have some owori who settled at Ogun state while others move to Lagos. Its more reasonable for us to follow the part where itshekiri settled down and the rest of the ijebus move down to ijebu ode.
I got the stories from one African history site years back. Tao thought I just stumbled on it recently just because of the link I posted.

I'll try to do more findings later. But I don't have the time now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Is Bleaching Considered Especially Bad? / Learn Idoma Language / Kanuri People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.