Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,394 members, 7,964,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 04:28 PM

2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story (6037 Views)

Amazing DIY Transformation Of A 1972 Mini (Mark III) In Bauchi / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? / Should I Buy A 2007/2008 Acura tl Type S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by DMechy: 4:34pm On Dec 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

That one no get shishi. Na to smoke igbeaux, then come Nairaland dey misyarn.

grin
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by BamBamK: 5:01pm On Dec 03, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

wahala be like bicycle true true

HeavenlyBang:

That one no get shishi. Na to smoke igbeaux, then come Nairaland dey misyarn.
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 2cribz: 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2020
I bone the ML waiting till 2021 max feb. Did u say fron 35 to 5%.
BamBamK:
how far the ML?? u don obtain am?

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 5:40pm On Dec 03, 2020
Now On To The Fun Part.. . . . Actual Install of Stereo.

For a 2008 Vehicle, the MDX has a pretty suave interior styling. And the stereo isn't left out.

pic 1 & 2 Stock Setup.

3. Removal

4. Commencenent of Open Heart Surgery

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2020
pic 1 . Testing climate control for fitment to plastic trim piece.

2. Checking fitment of stereo to trim piece.

3 . Old heart, New heart

4 . Heart Transplant in progress

3 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 5:55pm On Dec 03, 2020
Heart Transplant Complete . . . Vital Signs Stable

5 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 5:58pm On Dec 03, 2020
Before meets After . . .

3 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 6:00pm On Dec 03, 2020
AutoElectNG:

There is something that stands out in your threads.

You do your homework.

Following
Thanks
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 6:02pm On Dec 03, 2020
Sound Deadening & Speaker Replacement

Front Speakers - Infinity Kappa 62.11i

Rear Speakers - JBL GTO 629, Both tuned by Harman Kardon

Sound Deadening Mat - 36sq ft of Noico 80mil sound deadening Mat.

Pretty straight forward. remove door panels, remove weather stripping, deal with a ton of dust.

had to do alot of surface prep/cleaning with Alcohol for best results with the deadening mats

Speaker holes didnt match the opening on the door even with the speaker brackets I bought. but I really wanted these speakers. I was frustrated for some minutes, until I had a Eureka Moment!!! ..... Cable Ties!!!

grabbed some cable tie , strapped those babies up, and bam! . . . everything kosher.

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 6:24pm On Dec 03, 2020
Sound deading is a nobrainer, but quite tedious .
As simple as it might appear, getting these mats into tight spots and around curves and holes can be a pain in the ass.

you need some planning and measuring to maximize use of your mat and get neat results.

pic 1. stock condition

2 &3 . after sound deadening and speaker replacement.

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by dannywest: 7:28pm On Dec 03, 2020
My mind never reach your own

bizzle2:
Now On To The Fun Part.. . . . Actual Install of Stereo.

For a 2008 Vehicle, the MDX has a pretty suave interior styling. And the stereo isn't left out.

pic 1 & 2 Stock Setup.

3. Removal

4. Commencenent of Open Heart Surgery
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by BamBamK: 8:25am On Dec 04, 2020
ok sir.... update us when u finally obtain am

2cribz:
I bone the ML waiting till 2021 max feb. Did u say fron 35 to 5%.
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 2cribz: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2020
Go tuc k yourself ma niggi.
BamBamK:
ok sir.... update us when u finally obtain am

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by BamBamK: 10:30am On Dec 04, 2020
grin grin grin grin ok sir

2cribz:
Go tuc k yourself ma niggi.
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by Zane2point4(m): 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
The stock head unit definetly looks better,you could have used it,it has quality wattage and will still produce quality sounds to feed your speakers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2020
Zane2point4:
The stock head unit definetly looks better,you could have used it,it has quality wattage and will still produce quality sounds to feed your speakers.

Seconded in the looks part.

I bet he added an amp, though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:21pm On Dec 04, 2020
dannywest:
My mind never reach your own

lol
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:37pm On Dec 04, 2020
Zane2point4:
The hallmark of modern interior styling is minimalism and clean surfaces. you don't need 30 buttons to do what a screen and half a dozen buttons can do with greater efficiency . . . but ofcourse beauty is subjective.
There's also functionality and performance, which are paramount. I don't think anyone buys a headset just for the looks.
functionality wise , comparison between both is like comparing a 3310 to an iPhone

As per performance , the stock setup is way underpowered. it sounds like a Tin can in comparison. Even with the stock amp and subwoofer.

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:43pm On Dec 04, 2020
bizzle2:

The hallmark of modern interior styling is minimalism and clean surfaces. you don't need 30 buttons to do what a screen and half a dozen buttons can do with greater efficiency . . . but ofcourse beauty is subjective.
There's also functionality and performance, which are paramount. I don't think anyone buys a headset just for the looks.
functionality wise , comparison between both is like comparing a 3310 to an iPhone

As per performance , the stock setup is way underpowered. it sounds like a Tin can in comparison. Even with the stock amp and subwoofer.

Probably because ELS is set up for higher frequencies. More treble for classical music and the likes instead of better lows.

For what it's meant to do, it's one of the best car stereos.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:15pm On Dec 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Probably because ELS is set up for higher frequencies. More treble for classical music and the likes instead of better lows.

For what it's meant to do, it's one of the best car stereos.

"what it is meant to do" is reproduce audio signal well, regardless of what part of the spectrum.
A good setup will reproduce mids, highs and lows comfortably and output balanced sound. you enjoy your music just the way you like it, regardless of genre. clean and crisp

The myriads of EQ and other sound settings that are absent from a stock setup like this are a big part of the very limited functionality.

Decent ? yes . One of the best ? I think that's subjective

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:17pm On Dec 04, 2020
Subwoofer Installation

As stated Earlier, Sub of Choice is the Rockford fosgate PUNCH P300-12 powered subwoofer.

this is where the Amplifier kit is applied.

The punch p300 is a bad ass subwoofer, packs all the punch you could possibly handle in an SUV . its also Amplified.

Installing this required running a 12V lead directly from the + Battery terminal , throught the cabin, all the way to the trunk .
From the minimum required cable guage, you can tell this sub is no joke., cable is about as thick as a pen, and had to be fished through a gromet in the engine bay, and into the cabin.

the sub also came with a remote bass control knob, a fantastic feature. that lets you adjust the bass level of the playing song to suite your listening preference with the touch of a dial

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:35pm On Dec 04, 2020
pic 1.2 - 30A fuse connection for direct 12V supply to the sub.

pic 3 . remote bass knob, GPS antenna and Bluetooth Microphone

pic 4 . remote knob conveniently positioned on the driver side of the center console. sweet pot

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
After the install I didn't like the untidy look of the cables sticking out of the sub

1 Like

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:44pm On Dec 04, 2020
So I got some flex tubing , and some cloth tape and cleaned them up into a neat little harness

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2020
Honorable Mentions.

pic 1. USB extensions routed to the storage compartment on the passenger side of the center console.

pic 2. Stock Subwoofer. I had to remove those panels to neatly route the cables for the sub

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by diportivo: 5:44am On Dec 05, 2020
that pathfinder be like God when ??

6 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by AgentGoat: 6:40am On Dec 05, 2020
diportivo:

How you take see am?
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by Mokelu: 7:30am On Dec 05, 2020
AgentGoat:

How you take see am?

As in ehn... diportivo no well
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2020
diportivo:
Lol, nice . you get eyes.

the one wey dey front front nko

1 Like

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
More details of our lil baddie.

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2020
excerpts . . . . post install video playback .
crisp clean hi res display
this thing plays almost evey video format known to man. .avi, .flv name it.
With my last pioneer headunit I often had to convert video files to specific mp4 formats before I could play them . but with this bad boy . . ..

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2020
Brake Rotor Upgrade.

Drilled & Slotted Performance Brake Rotors

I purchased a complete set of Powerstop brake rotors.
Power stop is very reputable US brand for brake parts. discs, pads etc.

To protect them from rust I decided to coat the applicable part with some heat resistant Antirust paint. I deviced my little spraying stencil with a polythene bag

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Achieves 50,000 Sales In First Quarter / Bumper stickers on Nigerian roads / Isuzu Rodeo Engine Immersed In Flood Waters And Runs Fine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.